PDA

View Full Version : Make fun of the new guy!

stickfigure
06-02-2004, 03:43 AM
All hail the uber grainy camera phone!
http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v233/stickfigure/soopah_strong.jpg

Soopah scrawny, woop woop! And what a goofy face I'm making! It obviously takes a LOT of concentration to push that button... *ahem*

Here's my teeny tiny bicep:
http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v233/stickfigure/big_bicep.jpg

I used to lift weights with a friend, but then he went through a divorce and stopped going, so I stopped going, blah blah blah... other than that, I don't really lift weights, although I'm definitely hoping to get back into it. I do train in TaeKwonDo and Kung Fu (Northern Shaolin Five Animals style, to be precise), plus I'm a poor college kid with no money to buy food... so the combined effect is that I stay pretty lean. I do lots of push-ups and crunches on a regular basis (i.e. as part of TaeKwonDo), but so far that hasn't done me much good for building any respectable mass. So, basically, I'm fast as the blazes... but I hit like a girl. :-/

I recently purchased Arnold Schwarzenegger's "New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding and Winning Elections"... or maybe not that last part, but whatever. He doesn't really have a lot of specifics on nutrition in there, and I have to admit that using the internet as a nutrition resource is a bit overwhelming. Too many people contradicting each other and using big words I don't understand. Can anyone suggest a simple, straightforward guide on beginner's nutrition that says "eat this, this, and this at these times and with this and that supplement?" Bonus points if this guide is do-able on a limited (read: college kid's) budget.

Extra:
Holy crap, it's totally a samurai! :ninja:

Budiak
06-02-2004, 04:10 AM
Basics on nutrition?

Here's some basics.

To gain weight, eat more.

To lose weight, eat less.

Give us a brief rundown of what you eat in the average day. Just tell us what you ate yesterday, that'll be fine.

Thats just weight. You look like you're not prone to high bodyfat, so you could really eat whatever the **** you want.

You know, if you're into sports that require , speed, strength and flexibility, I'd highly reccommend that you start a powerlifting regimen instead of a bodybuilding one. It is quite possible to gain massive amounts of strength without adding huge slabs of potentially restrictive muscles. Muscle weighs a lot as well, which may slow you down, which is why a strict strength-training routine may be best. You will definitely add mass, but it will all be totally functional.
Not to say that mass can't be useful in fighting sports. Mass gives you inertia and momentum which is useful in a lot of fighting situations. You just need to find the perfect balance of supra-human strength and size.

Now, I don't know what you used to do in the gym. You should stop by the Powerlifting/Olympic lifting forum and start poking your head around.

Get rid of the cat. Spend that litter and kitty-chow money on food for your muscles.

stickfigure
06-02-2004, 04:19 AM
I can't get rid of the cat! He's too cute!
http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v233/stickfigure/macalester_-_in_the_car.jpg

In all honesty, I eat whatever I can get my hands on. Some days a meal will mean can after can of peaches and potatoes and soup, or a whole loaf of bread, or a "family size" box of macaroni and cheese. I'm definitely a carboholic, but I think that has more to do with the accessibility of them over proteins.

I definitely want to go for power over size - any recommendations on a good beginner's "strength training: GOOD + body building: BAD" routine? Does the WBB Routine (any of them) qualify for this?

Budiak
06-02-2004, 04:36 AM
WBB routine is your basic bodybuilding program that pays some limited attention to strength building. I wouldn't reccommend it for your needs.

I'm not the guy to ask. I'd send a pm to Paul Stagg, Chris Rodgers, Adam McKinnon, or Anthony if you really need personal help. Instead, though, I can't stress the importance of just reading about strength-specific training principles in our powerlifting forum.

Umm...I'll cover the raw basics.

Strength related training is usually lower rep sets of higher weights than the normal bodybuilding scheme. A major function of strength is training the central nervous system to react with speed and force rather than as a function of sheer muscle mass acting as a motivator of a limb.

Powerlifting consists of three main lifts- the Bench Press, Deadlift, and Barbell Squat. The goal? Lift the most weight possible in the three lifts in one rep per exercise. The single rep weight is paramount. There are numerous weight classes. You'd be shocked and amazed at the weights that people at your exact bodyweight are able to move. I'm 200lbs, bodybuilder. Chris Rodgers is 85lbs, squats 185,000lbs. No ****.

God, its getting late.

Budiak
06-02-2004, 04:40 AM
More protein.
Milk. You need to drink milk.

A gallon of it, every day. Its cheap. A gallon of milk is what, 3 bucks on average? Worst case scenario, milk will be like 5 bucks a gallon. Get whole milk. More calories. Suck it down.

It's got tons of carbs, so you can save some cash on other foods that are less nutritious.

Milk, pasta, canned tuna, rice, chicken breasts. Bread is good, too. Slather peanut butter on that bread and suck it down with a quart of milk.

Your main focus is increased protein intake as well as increasing overall caloric intake. Fat is a very easy way to do this but yes, the kind of fat matters. Fats from peanuts are very good for you. You can go one route and eat a jar of peanut butter every day. Its under five bucks and has like 6000 calories.

The possibilities? Endless.

stickfigure
06-02-2004, 04:47 AM
Fridays are my "loser" nights, where I sit on my duff and eat a whole jar of peanut butter while I watch Friday Night Stand-Up on Comedy Central. I generally average a jar of peanut butter a week - as for one a day... I'll try.

As for milk, I was raised on skim. A few months ago I started buying 2%, which I found to be infinitely more to my liking. Skim officially tastes like water now. Vitamin D milk is also quite yummy. As for whole milk, I've only rarely tried it (can we say milk challenge? yeah, that's right... in through the mouth, OUT THROUGH THE NOSE! super gross!). Assuming I choke back all the painful milk challenge-related memories, I'll try to start downing a gallon of (*gulp*) whole milk a day.

Y2A
06-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Budiak p/wns this thread, great advice. I fully 2nd the recommendation to look through the forums and articles and self-educate before asking for help. Turn "loser" night into "education" night for a few weeks, its interesting as ****.

Allyrulez
06-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Extreme Basics of eating:-

Eat every 2-3 hours

Every meal should include ~20-30grams of protein, and some carbs to facilitate shuttling the protein into your muscles. If you dont eat the carbs your body will utilise some of the protein as energy thus nicking it from your muscles

You need Essential Fatty Acids, to do some **** with your hormones and they are anabolic or something.. Eat a greasy fish sometimes, or some peanuts or some decent source of fats

**** i just read up and this has already been covered, albeit in a better way. Ill just post anyway

Scorpion
06-09-2004, 11:35 AM
1-2 Tablespoons of Flax Seed Oil will do you alot of Good, its good for raising your Testosterone levels and generally good for bodybuilders anyway.

Capsules are more expensive than the Flax Seed Oil, the Oil you drink down is better anyway because 1-2 tablespoons is equivelant to about 10-12 1000mg tablets if i remember correctly.

Jezmason
06-09-2004, 02:29 PM
U look like u have a good base to start off with, eat and lift, thats what i say. Eat, lift, eat, sleep, repeat. I got good strength and size gains while doing 3 sets of 6 reps for all my lifts.

Budiak
06-09-2004, 02:49 PM
On the topic of oil capsules, you can often get an incredible deal at Sam's Club or Costco for omega-complex capsules. I got two 500 count bottles of 1g capsules for 25 dollars at Sam's Club a little while ago.

Keep your eyes peeled for bargains.

aka23
06-09-2004, 03:26 PM
1-2 Tablespoons of Flax Seed Oil will do you alot of Good, its good for raising your Testosterone levels.

Increasing your polyunsaturated fat to saturated fat ratio tends to decrease testosterone levels (Reference -- http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/49 , http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/incledon/diet-01.htm ) , and fish/flax oil tend to decrease testosterone more than predicted by the PUFA/SFA ratio alone (Reference -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11525593&dopt=Abstract)