PDA

View Full Version : 6'7" - From Bean Pole to Goliath

Pages : [1] 2

mickyjune26
06-03-2004, 03:50 PM
This site will help me keep my sanity.

I'm gonna do it. Working out halfway is living halfway.

I bought the food, and have been lifting for the last 2 months, missing days here and there. I've had pretty good toning gains, but no weight increase.

Let's do this thing!

Goal:
- Gain 35 pounds as soon as my body naturally is able to do.
- Get my body fat down to 7%

We have a mission checklist:

Measuring Tape
Camera
n-Large2 Weight Gainer
Creatine
Optimal Nutrition 100% Whey Protein

Pics and Measurements coming soon! (laughter welcome)

Thanks for this website, and thanks for the people helping each other out.

We're on a mission. We can do this. Let's go!

Chubrock
06-03-2004, 03:58 PM
YEEEEAAAAA Almost isn't enough. Keep that in mind. Good luck wit ya goals man and get intense with it!

Saint Patrick
06-03-2004, 04:15 PM
good luck w/ your goals

bill
06-03-2004, 04:28 PM
good luck just eat what shaq does.

Herc
06-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Good Luck! From one former bean-pole to another it's gonna be a hard slog, but well worth it.

*Now go eat something!

:thumbup:

mickyjune26
06-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Man, everytime I'm not full, i eat some more. ...about every 1.5 hrs. It's a bunch of small meals, but i'm wondering how I could not gain weight while on this plan.

Food, using nat foods, weight gainer, creatine and protein (see sig for meal plan).
After weight gainer runs out (30 days), I will replace those cals with nat foods and see which cause bigger gains.

At that point, i might have to revamp the plan to shock my body for last 30 days before my 90-day cut.

Checklist Complete!

It uses formulas to tracking my calories, protien and cost/serv

Measuring Tape - Retractable with the push of a button - Walmart - 5.95
Camera - 4 outdoor/indoor disposible for $19.95
n-Large2 Weight Gainer - www.sportssupplements.com (went to local store in denton - discount sport nutrition) - 10lbs for $36.00
Create Titrate Xtreme - same place, www.sportssupplements.com - $24.95 - 30 serv
Optimal Nutrition 100% Whey Protein - 77 servings of 23 g protein seach - smoothie factory - $30.85
3 $5 DVDs from the "Bargin Bin" - I almost got out of walmart without buying something I don't need

Current Measurements:
L Biceps 14 3/8"
R Bicep 14 1/2"
Chest - 42 1/4"
Waist - 36 1/2"
Hips 39 1/4"
Calves 14"
Upper Legs 22 3/4"

Need to take some pics to track my progress.

Will be lifting tonight.
My signature now links to a journal for measurements, meal plan, lifting journal. I will be asking for advice on various things in the other forums.

If anyone would like an excel copy of this, just replace wwwww.sopht.com/micky/liftjournal.mht (http://www.sopht.com/micky/liftjournal.mht) with
www.sopht.com/micky/liftjournal.xls (http://www.sopht.com/micky/liftjournal.xls)

Will update this post in one week after i have some pictures to post.

TheGimp
06-04-2004, 09:27 AM
You're tall. :)

Good luck.

mickyjune26
06-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Yeah! And being 235/240 will make me look not as much tall...but just HUGE!!

mickyjune26
06-04-2004, 03:03 PM
I'm staying on track today with my meal plan (http://www.sopht.com/micky/liftjournal.mht), but there are some things i've noticed today:

Situation 1:
Right around 2-3, when i've had 4 small meals in me, my energy level was huge. I'm usually tired in the afternoon, but since I'm feeding my body in a way that it's built for, my body was ready for some action.
Sitting at a computer wasn't burning the fuel my body was creating.

Solution:
Try to work out at 2 each day? hmmm...how will the 'ol boss take it?

Situation 2:
Around 4:00, i start to get a headache. I don't have the energy buzz that i had before, but I'm not tired.
...been focusing on sitting up straight instead of slouching to help develop my stomach muscles.
I think i didn't drink enough water today.
I've had about 3/4 gallon so far, but I might need more.

Solution:
I will see tomorrow.

Situation 3:
Kind of odd to post...but I think the Protein shakes give me gas. The sales lady said it won't, but that's why she's a sales lady. It is Optimum nutrition 100% Whey

Solution:
I will research other brands in the forums.

mickyjune26
06-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Last step - revamping my lift routine. Current one has too many reps. I will finish this week with old routine and start next week with new one.

mickyjune26
06-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Situation:
For now on, I will plan my meals before the day occurs.

I had to go 4 hours 2 x on saturday without eating anything. That's a killer for my plan.

Solution:
If you don't plan, i plan to fail.

I won't get discouraged that I made a mistake. I've gotta stand up, wipe the mud off my face, grit my teeth and face the beast.

mickyjune26
06-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Man, I had a great workout on Friday, I did leg presses and it didn't hurt my knee.

Knees:
I didn't use much weight, and focused on form, so my hips and legs were doing the work, and not my knees. Man, my heart was roaring, i was sweating, and lovin every minute of it.

Us tall guys have a lot of knee probs. We're too buys growing to build quality parts.

Shoulders:
I did 30 shoulder rotations w/o weights to really warm up my shoulder.
I did my shoulders and had to look at the ceiling so i didn't feel the regular kink in my neck.

When I work my upper back and shoulders, i think i'm going to look up to really avoid any neck pain.

JustinF
06-07-2004, 03:15 AM
Yeah! And being 235/240 will make me look not as much tall...but just HUGE!!

Damn you!! I used to be the tallest around these parts!! :)

I think you could get to much larger than ~240, but I guess that depends on your personal goals. Good luck.

Don Birnam
06-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Hmm, so you're the same height as me, and trying to bulk too... Sweeeeet. How old are ya? Well since you're in a comparable situation I'm gonna keep an eye on your journal and see how you're progressing- I invite you to do the same with mine. Cooperation or competition, I love it all ;)

mickyjune26
06-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the posts.

Eating fuels the intensity
I lifted yesturday and today. These are only the 4th lifts since I've started the new diet.

The eating regimen is a lot of work. Planning, tracking, preparing what i eat. I spend so much time researching that I can't wait until I have my eating habits memorized.

Since I've spent so much time devoted to eating right, my training intensity has doubled.

Why go to the gym just half-*ss when i've spent so much time eating right?

I get to the gym warmup, do some sets, and can't stop lifting. I try to think of other exercises for the same body part.

This week is for experimentation, finding out which exercises wipe me out more. though I don't have a written lifting regimen yet, I'm making sure to eventually max out after 30 min.

Next week I'll have a written journal for my lifts. get to it by the signature below.

Pics
Took the pictures, and am going to drop them off at Wal-mart now.

Halfway trying does not yield halfway results.

mickyjune26
06-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Don, I'm going to say this is a competition. I gotta get my BF measured to keep it all fair. Your current stats are where I want to be within a 45 days. I'm up to 196 now, but it might just be food weight.

Keep it up, bro.

Don Birnam
06-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Don, I'm going to say this is a competition.

Haha... OK you asked for it- It's game day Mick, let's party ;) But you gotta post your lift numbers... you know, so I know how much I'm beating you by ;)

Oh yeah and thanks for the grip tip, dat wuz tizzite!

JustinF
06-10-2004, 04:01 AM
The gas is pretty much a given, no matter what brand or flavor you get. :D

mickyjune26
06-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I'll start posting my stats tonight. today is leg day, and I'm really weak there. Don't want to rush my legs or I'll sprain my knees again.
Tomorrow is chest....I can't wait!
Saturday is back.
I'm also going to link to my history of stats in my sig. The template is avaiable right now.

I'm starting to love the taste of Fat Free plain vanilla yogurt and dry whole wheat tuna fish sandwhiches. Something about not slopping a bunch of ketchup on something gives me a high when i eat.

...and yes, still farting like a chimney cooking beans. It's pretty tricky when on dates, LOL!

mickyjune26
06-10-2004, 09:48 AM
PICS going on tonight!

mickyjune26
06-10-2004, 04:38 PM
We are going to go from best to worse.

1 - This one is okay, except i wanted to laugh because I had never posed before.
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 - LOL when i saw this. Today is leg day. Gonna see if I can do squats again, but gotta really watch my knees.

Allenronm
06-10-2004, 05:52 PM
good luck!!!

mickyjune26
06-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Went out today and joined a gym. It is in Denton, TX and called Elite Fitness. They are giving me one free session with a trainer, so we'll see how that goes.

I hope you're up to the challenge, Don. We can do it bro! :evillaugh

mickyjune26
06-10-2004, 07:53 PM
I didn't want to kill my knees.

As my above pics show, my knees gow slightly outward. In all the leg lifts, I tried to keep my legs extending as straight as possible.
Lifting Number Legend
All my sets are in the following format: weight x reps (intensity)

Intensity.... 5 is a nice warm feel, and 10 means you can't do another rep.

Leg Press:
90x12(5)
180x10(8)
180x8(8)
180x8(9)
Notes: Felt good and solid. Had to concentrate to not let the kneeds do the work. Lower back tried to twinge, so had to concentrate some more.

Farmer walk:
130 x 20 steps (8)
160 x 28 steps (9)
Tip: Do before leg press next time

Leg Ext:
45 x 12(6)
90 x 10(8)
135 x 8(9)
180 x 6(10)
Note: Slow and steady. After reaching top, keep quads flexed to avoid dumping all the weight on my knees

Leg Curl:
25 x 10(7)
25 x 8 (8)
25 x3 (10)
25 x 4 (10)
Tip: Redo form. Some other parts were straining, so do these slowly until form is perfected.
Push waist downwards against the bench so to avoid lower back helping the contraction.

Calf raise:
12 x 0 (5)
10 x 0 (6)
9 x 0 (7)
10 x 0 (10)
Tip: Focus on form to make sure the same muscle does each rep, instead of alternating between all the muscles in the calf. This way I can max out.

Jezmason
06-11-2004, 05:03 AM
Good look. My cousins 6ft 8 and a bodybuilder coz he does hardcore backyard wrestling, its pretty brutal. He looks stupidly huge due to his muscle structure and height, u get as big as him, i'll b impressed!

Coke
06-11-2004, 05:14 AM
You are starting off well...just take your time to put the weight on all that height - Good luck bro!

mickyjune26
06-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I don't care how long it takes. :cool: I know I will stick with this plan for 1 year.

How well I stick to the plan is my measurement of success.

If I don't gain a pound, but stick to the plan - I win :)
If I gain 60 pounds, but stick to the plan - I win :)
If I keep going until my body and mind scream for a break - I win :)

This is between me and me. As much physical pain, endurance, and progress this requires, it is all just a mind game.

It's all in my head, can I take it? YESSSSS!!! :evillaugh

mickyjune26
06-13-2004, 01:47 AM
Taking a new approach to lifting...need to go to failure on every exercise that i can....
Back
Pullups:
0x6
0x2.5
0x.5, then 5 assisted
3 assisted
3 neg - 10 sec
Tip: Pull up until bi's are 90 degrees to forearms

Bent Over Row
45 x 10
45 x 8
45 x6
Note: Didn't feel natural, so I'm going to find another exercise for this

Wide Row:
70 x 8
90 x 8
Tip: Bring arms to a T, keeping arms parallel to the ground. replace Bent over row with this lift

Narrow Row
90x8
120x8
120x4
120x5 (neg at 6 sec)

Back Cable Cross (don't know the name):
20 x 8
40 x 6
Realized to just do one arm at a time...
25 x 6
Note: Find perfect spot that works the back the most, and do negatives. Watch form to not hurt lower back.

One-arm bent over dumbbell row:
70 x 6
95 x 4
70 x 5 (neg at 6 sec)
Note: It felt like the bi's were doing the work. less weights- watch form

Narrow Grip Pullup:
0x3 (Neg 10 sec)

Bi's
Concentrated Curls:
15 x 10
25 x 8
35 x 6 (neg at 6 sec)

Hammer Curl pyramid:
35, 20, 15, 12, 20, 35
Man, my bi's were dead after this. If only i could get my back to feel the same tightness

STRETCH:
Narrow-grip back pull machine
Pyramids
90, 60,40,20.

Felt good. Just like chest and tri's day with trainer.

NEXT STEP:
Monday - leg day with trainer.

mickyjune26
06-13-2004, 01:53 AM
Wieght
I weighed in today at 203. I don't know where i suddenly gained 5 pounds, but i've got to make sure to keep this weight.

Tuna Trip:
Went to a concert last night, and ate one Nat PB sandwhich on the way down. My friends laughed at me for eating that sandwhich instead of a 7-11 taco toob.
I also packed a tuna fish sandwhich in my pocket and a MRP powder for after the concert.

Ate the tuna fish sandwhich during the break, and man did that bag contain a tuna smell. All my friends next to me smelled it. I laughed and told them that I'm serious about this.

My sandwhich tasted really good, because I didn't miss a meal, because I looked like a freak eating my whole-wheat sandwhich with warm tuna on it, because I knew that this is for real.

Afterwards, we stopped at wendy's and I got a water to mix with my MRP powder.

People who make excuses that they are too busy to eat right, or don't have the resources are full of crap. you can do it if you want to. Many people just don't want to.

mickyjune26
06-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Told one of my good buds that I'm planning on getting up to 240. He laughed and said "yeah right."

I don't care what they say. I'm going to get up there. I've already gained some pounds and am bigger than i've ever been in my life.

Please tell me I CAN'T DO IT! Please DOUBT ME!

Their doubt is my fuel for the fire.

I'll do this thing, and I'll crush yourr skull with my bare hands.

PS....My other friend bought me a blender today. Those oatmeal/protein shakes are really going to help me keep up with 4000 cal/day diets.

Don Birnam
06-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Looking good Micky... as for "bent-over rows" (also called barbell rows) don't overlook them so readily yet- they are a really great freeweight exercise for upper-back thickness. As you do them more and your back gets stronger you will develop the "mind-muscle" connection. Even though it may not feel like it sometimes, your back is indeed getting worked in this exercise. Just some food for thought.

mickyjune26
06-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Today was going along well. I was feeling good because I started grinding up my oatmeal help me stay on track with meals at work.

I started to get tired, just sitting at my computer....then my should started to hurt.

Getting tee'd off, I didn't know how I would make it to my workout if my body was digressing so fast.

Then I ate some yogurt, and really focused on good sitting posture. I wasn't tired anymore and my should started to feel better. Maybe my weight gainer has too many simple sugars and is overloading my body because I haven't worked out in two days.

I'm going to eat the same thing for the rest of the week (making sure I get enough sleep each night) and see if I feel the same each day.

My diet is linked in my sig.

Focused70
06-14-2004, 02:46 PM
:spam:

Stash

Coke
06-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Sometimes its best not to let folks know the plan - :D...especially in this game. Good news about the weight gain!

mickyjune26
06-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah, Don and I are having a little competition. Maybe I'm giving away my secrets?.....

Coke
06-14-2004, 03:32 PM
...I was really talking about the dude who laughed at the plan to get up to 240.

mickyjune26
06-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Yeah. Who will be laughing when i'm beating him in arm wrestling. A year ago, before I stopped partying, we arm wrestled for 1 hour. No one won, and the next day both our arms really were sore.

I can't wait when i get huge and win!

mickyjune26
06-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Pers. Trainer:
Did my last of two free training sessions with my trainer, Reza Ghonbarpour. He is great, but I don't have the cash right now, even though it's just $25/session.

If any of you are in the Denton, TX area. Let me know and we can get you hooked up with a great trainer.

Leg Day:
Aiming for strength training first to improve my knee strength
- Combo -
Smith Machine Squats/squat down & hold hold stability ball against wall with back for total of 15 seconds (keep legs at 90 degrees, arms out and chest straight)
95x10 warmup
95x10/15 sec hold
95x10/10,5 sec hold
95x10/8,7 sec hold

Need to control breathing better.

Walk around track once to stretch.

- Combo -
Leg Press (narrow)/Leg press Wide
50x8/50x8
90x8/90x8
140x8/140x8

ABS:
Ab crunch w/stability ball
20 w/small medicine ball overhead

Leg Hold
10 sec
10 sec
10 sec

Ball Lift - Hold stability ball between ankles and lower ball to inches above ground (don't touch ground)

Squat Exploisions
0x10
0x10
0x10

Wall Push - push against wall and run with legs
20 sec - hi on wall
20 sec - mid on wall
20 sec - low on wall

Seated Calf Raise -
slow then /fast reps
45x8/15
45x8/25
45x8/45 to fail

It was a long workout, and I was dead towards the end, breathing like I had just run a marathon. I will do this 4 more times, increasing weights, and then change the workout to only combo on last set, focusing on higher weights.

Squat explosions will later incorporate a weight belt or resistance bands.

mickyjune26
06-14-2004, 09:32 PM
While lifting, Reza told me to think of something that made me mad.

I could only think of all the people who say they don't have enough time to workout. See this article:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=573

mickyjune26
06-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Eating 4000 cal/day is getting easier since new workout with trainer.

Previously I was working out too many times/week and not doing enough maxing or neg reps.

pruneman
06-15-2004, 07:05 AM
dude...lovin the journal. Keep up the hard work and pounding them calories! Its just a matter of time now.

Allenronm
06-15-2004, 02:52 PM
I agree.

great journal.

You'll get to 240!!!

mickyjune26
06-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Noticed a pattern...I get tired around 12:00 AM - I think the Oatmeal, wieght gain drinks needs a side of plain yogurt that is low GI. My insulin levels are probably spiking to process the weight gain.

Once that weigth gain is gone, I'm not using that crap again. If I need carbs - I'll eat REAL CARBS like MORE OATMEAL!!!!!!!

Give me a loaf of bread on a stick and I'll eat the whole thing!

Whey protein is treating me well. Been waking up 1 hr before my alarm to go to the bathroom.
I started putting a cup with 23g protein powder in it. Mix it with warm water and I have some ghetto hot chocolate.

mickyjune26
06-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Man, I'm bouncing off the walls here! :swear:

I can feel the energy waiting to be used in my arms, chest, in my back. I'm going to explode, leaving guts and muscle all over my coworker's backs. I got so much energy, I want to throw my desk out the window!

CAN'T LIFT TODAY!

My shoulder doesn't hurt, but it doesn't feel right either. I know my limits and I'm gonna wait.

I'll post my shoulder/trap/grip workout this evening. Did those yesterday.

FIRED MY TRAINER! Either buy a trainer, or buy food. I went with buy food.

...probably will purchase a session or two in a few weeks.

bill
06-23-2004, 08:14 PM
good job keep it up .

mickyjune26
06-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Still been lifting, but haven't had enough time to post my stats. I've had to work 55 hrs/week to pay for the additional money needed for food and gym membership. I'll get posted by the end of this week.

Weighed in the other day, and moved the little bar to 10, then 20, then 30, and i'm thinking "How did I gain 30 pounds in two weeks? Wow!"

...then I realized the big wieght was on 150. lol.

I weighed in at 211. and my bench press is up to 200.

Gettin there!

mickyjune26
06-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Tracking calories on a real-time bases with fitday.com really helps me reach my calories intake goals.

mickyjune26
07-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Woke up the other night at 3am with a stomach ache. I think I ate some bad eggs, LOL.

I missed my first workout yesterday, 7-7. It was because a girl called, so I wanted to talk to her.

My priorities in life:
God
Girls
Work
Lifting

Weighed in at 206 - I think I'm not eating enough, but on the plus side, I do look slimmer. We'll just call it a mini-cut.

Allenronm
07-08-2004, 03:17 PM
keep eating!!!

mickyjune26
07-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Man, turns out that I managed to get a girlfriend this weekend. This is craziness, since I'm the king of not trying for girls.

This is a good thing, though. The whole point of lifting is to look good for chicks. It's not like I check myself out.

I'm going to keep lifting, but I forsee that I'm going to be missing more workouts.

Leg day today. Gettin' ready to puke already.

mickyjune26
07-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Got a promotion at my job. For 6 days/mo I'll be traveling doing training for our customers. I'm going to find hotels with a wieght room, or make them find me a place to work out. Traveling is not an excuse to miss workouts.

Plus they pay me $30/day for food, so each time I go on a trip, I'm going to buy supplements for the rest of the month. SWEEEEEET!!!!!

Coke
07-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Good priorities...nice job on landing the new chick - congrats on the promotion.

Allenronm
07-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Hey Micky, I posted my bicep and back workout, if you wanna check it out.

mickyjune26
07-20-2004, 10:30 AM
ROAR!
I had a new lifting journal with one week's stats in it. Now I moved and can't find it!
...had to start another one yesturday. Here's some stats from memory for leg day:

Squat - warmup
45 x 12
145 x 10
165 x 8
185 x 6 --> First time I've ever squatted to failure. It was great!
Concentrated A LOT on form during squats. If I start to use too much back, I'll just hurt myself.

The gym is NO PLACE FOR PRIDE!

Leg press
180 x 8
270 x 8
360 x 6 --> Started growling when during these and a few other lifters started looking over at me, LOL. I love to get mean when lifting!

Stomach
situps on stability ball
10, 10, 8, 8

situps on stability ball holding 25lbs over my head
8, 8, 8, 8

Leg hold (hold legs strait, 6 inches off groudn - in secs)
30, 20, 20 (had to be careful that lower back isn't stressed too much)

Lift stability ball with legs
10, 8, 8

Explosions
10, 10, 10

Calf raise
35x8slow, then 25 fast
80x8 slow, then 25 fast
80x8 slow, then 35 fast
SCREAMING IN PAIN!

mickyjune26
07-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Poor as dirt. I can't buy much food, so I'm only getting about 2800 cals/day. I guess I'll call this a cutting phase.

Either way, I'll probably keep getting stronger for a month or two. Then I'll have more cash and can buy some supplements again.

Back and Bi's
Lat pulls to chest
80 x 14 warmup
130 x 8
160 x 8
190 x 3+1
( was doing behind neck, but a trainer said that you could injure yourself that way...that it's hard on the rotater cuff. Mine's already weak, so I listened to him)

...man, I sweat too much, lol

Narrow grip cable Rows
100x8
130x6
160x4

Lat cable Flys - one arm at a time
20 x 8
30 x 8
40 x 8 - Do then all slower, or I'll hurt myself.

Bent over one-armed dumbell rows
60 x 8
75 x 8
85 x 6 - focus on back, don't let bi's do the work
Started running out of energy and yawning. I gotta eat more on lifting days.

Narrow grip pullups (10 sec negs)
4, 4, 4 -->Man, these made me feel really tired.

Alt dumbell curls
20 x 8
25 x 8
40 x 6

Preacher Barbell curls
weight w/o bar. I don't know how much the little bar weighs
20 x 8
50 x 8
50 x 6

Back machine Pyramid
130, 110, 90, 70, 50

Hold wide-grip pullup for 10 sec

mickyjune26
07-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Tonight is Chest and Tri's, then I'm off to Corpus Cristi for a few days to provide some training.

Don Birnam
07-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Hey buddy, hope everything's going well. How'd that Chest/Tri workout turn out?

mickyjune26
07-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Chest and Tris:

Flys (warmup):
25s x 16

Flat dumbbell press:
60s x 8
75s x 8
85s x 4

Seated Palm-up Raise:
20s x 8
20s x 6
25s x 4

Iso Lat Wide Chest Machine:
180 x 8
270 x 6
280 x 3+1

Iso Lat Decline Bench:
180 x 8
230 x 6
240 x 4

Dips:
8, 6, 4, 1 (15 sec hold at 90 deg angle)

Skull Crushers:
40 x 8
50 x 6
60 x 4

Bench machine pyramid:

Flys (strech):
25s x 8

mickyjune26
07-23-2004, 08:03 AM
These long workouts are great. I can really see my strength shooting up.

I wonder how much stronger I'd be if I had protein shakes and MRPs now. Right now, I'm eating whatever I want, but just make sure not to go too long without eating.

ryuage
07-23-2004, 09:35 AM
protein shakes/mrp's arent really essential, they just aid you in place of real food.

mickyjune26
07-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. I did gain 20 pounds in the 1st month of lifting, but I think 10 lbs of that was food and fat weight.

Now I weigh 207, and I think I have more muscle mass. I'll be doing measurements next week.

Allenronm
07-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Poor as dirt. I can't buy much food, so I'm only getting about 2800 cals/day. I guess I'll call this a cutting phase.

Either way, I'll probably keep getting stronger for a month or two. Then I'll have more cash and can buy some supplements again.

Back and Bi's
Lat pulls to chest
80 x 14 warmup
130 x 8
160 x 8
190 x 3+1
( was doing behind neck, but a trainer said that you could injure yourself that way...that it's hard on the rotater cuff. Mine's already weak, so I listened to him)

...man, I sweat too much, lol

Narrow grip cable Rows
100x8
130x6
160x4

Lat cable Flys - one arm at a time
20 x 8
30 x 8
40 x 8 - Do then all slower, or I'll hurt myself.

Bent over one-armed dumbell rows
60 x 8
75 x 8
85 x 6 - focus on back, don't let bi's do the work
Started running out of energy and yawning. I gotta eat more on lifting days.

Narrow grip pullups (10 sec negs)
4, 4, 4 -->Man, these made me feel really tired.

Alt dumbell curls
20 x 8
25 x 8
40 x 6

Preacher Barbell curls
weight w/o bar. I don't know how much the little bar weighs
20 x 8
50 x 8
50 x 6

Back machine Pyramid
130, 110, 90, 70, 50

Hold wide-grip pullup for 10 sec

Thought you got a promotion?

mickyjune26
07-24-2004, 12:16 PM
LOL. Sure did. Now I'm on salary and I can't work the 60hrs/week that i was doing. I get more per hour, but each check is smaller.

ryuage
07-24-2004, 12:20 PM
so you want to work more!?

mickyjune26
07-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Stay away from college loans and credit cards.

Debt = More work hours = stress = More lifting weights to relieve stress

Wait...maybe I should get in debt more so I stress out more so I work out more!!!!

Don Birnam
08-03-2004, 11:16 AM
So you gonna post in your journal sometime soon??? I gotta keep tabs on my #1 competitor... yuk yuk yuk just kidding :zipit:

mickyjune26
08-08-2004, 02:12 AM
Yeah, I've been pretty lax about posting lately.

Let's get at it again.

Been lifting still, but not with the same intensity as June. A lot of times lifting goes through these phases of intensity. I'm ready for another round. I'm 209 right now. I'm going to get a BF test done, and then go from there. I'm estimating it's around 10% now.

Next round of goals:
Increase all lifts by about 10%
Get BF down to 8% (want to see that six pack)
Aiming for 60 days.

The tricky part is cutting BF while increasing lifts.

This can be done, because up to this point, no aerobic exercises have been done.

TIME to do RESEARCH.

mickyjune26
08-08-2004, 02:21 AM
My sig has a link to the lift stats.

About 25% of the lifts aren't posted, but they are from 6-15 to current.

ryuage
08-08-2004, 06:49 AM
i've seen people get stronger while losing weight, you just gotta dial in to your body and give it what it needs.

mickyjune26
08-09-2004, 07:09 AM
Ryuage,
That's encouraging to hear. The big goal is to not miss more than 1 workout for the next 60 days. In order to do that, I'm switching my routine to include the lifts I don't like doing at the beginning of the week and the lifts I love at the end.

New workout:
1 - Legs/abs
2 - Shoulders/traps/grip
3 - Back Bi's
4 - Chest Tri's

mickyjune26
08-09-2004, 07:11 AM
Played tennis sat and sun for about 1.5 hrs. I was drenched with sweat, but my heart was doing okay keeping up.

mickyjune26
08-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Trying a new Routine!

When I start to miss workouts, it means other things are starting to seem more important. Typically these things consist of watching TV.

WEAK.

Here's the new routine, from the WBB article section.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=146

I'm going to do this for 2 months. This, along with aerobic exercising around 3x/week, will help me reach my goals stated earlier.
(Get to 8% BF and increase major lifts by 10%).

[SIZE=5]YEAH!

mickyjune26
08-11-2004, 05:32 PM
I was going to cut, but now I just want to bulk some more. I'm going to aim for 225. Eating, here I come!

.....mmmmmmm........

I will be doing cardio during this bulking phase so my heart can keep up with the gained weight. I'm running a few miles each week.

BIG C
08-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Good luck with your goals :thumbup:

mickyjune26
08-13-2004, 08:30 AM
More people have joined the lifting clan!

A friend of mine, Michael, who is 16 and his mom just joined the gym where I'm at.

I earned another free month, and have another lifitng partner. Michael seems pretty dedicated and he wants to get ripped and play boxing.

I'll give him some good practice and beat the crap out of him anyday.

j/k

I was doing Iso-Lat Wide Chest Press machine and a lat raise combo. The trainer (we got 1 free training session for joining Michael) said, "Michael, you can get ripped doing these lifts."

Michael laughed and said, "Man, I just want to get as ripped as Micky"

If I wasn't concentrating on my lifts so much, I would have blushed. The complements are coming about more and more often. That's what gives me the motivation and energy to keep going!

I'm trying to get Michael to join these forums. We'll see.

I'll add lift numbers to my chart in a week.
We did upper and lower chest. No bench press. Incline Press Rules!

ryuage
08-13-2004, 09:43 AM
good stuff, whenever I get compliments it gives me motivation as well to keep on continueing to do what I do.

mickyjune26
04-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Well, I've missed posting here for a while, but I've been lifting off and on. Longest time going without lifting was abouut 2 months.

I'm taking a new approach to lifting. I'm not trying to get to a certain size or strength.
I'm trying to change how I live. The core focus is to not miss workouts, and to enjoy going to them. To be honest, there are times when I haven't enjoyed eating right and working out. I'm going to eliminate that.

I'm making this the most enjoyable experience I can, so when I look back on 2, 3 or 10 years of lifting, I tell myself, "That was a lot of fun."

Think about it. Why should I spend all this time lifting and eating right if I hate it? Eventually I'm going to get old and lose some gains. Making the body the primary goal is setting myself up for failure. This must be a quest to live life to the fullest.

Lifting is more for the mind than the body. I life to feel good and to have energy. I lift to learn how to control my body with my mind. All the things I learn from lifting will transfer to other parts of my life.

This has worked for the last 2 months. Now I'm going to document it in this journal.

I know you may not agree with this. I understand. I have come to this conclusion by trial and error.

Good luck everyone. I know you can reach your goals. I know you can do it.

mickyjune26
07-09-2005, 09:04 PM
My diet is going better. 4 things that have helped me.
1. Find healthy foods that taste good - there are tons. Eating right should be enjoyable.
2. Use spices instead of fats
3. Memorize my diet
4. Make food ahead of time and store in tupperware.

mickyjune26
07-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I want to be able to bench 300 and squat 350.

I posted a general discussion to learn more on how I can do this.

mickyjune26
07-11-2005, 08:56 PM
1st Max-OT Day - Legs:
Squats - warmup 0 5
Squats - warmup 35 5
Squats 70! 6
Squats 80! 2
Squats 70! 3

Almost bothered my right knee, because my knees were too far out. I'm going to go slower next week and focus on lifting with the back of legs.

Leg press 270 6
Leg press 360 6
Leg press 430 5 - R knee felt fine during these sets.
SLDL - warmup 0 5
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 45! 4
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 45! 5 - awesome. Legs were shudduring after the workout.
Sitting Calf Raise 190 6
Sitting Calf Raise 190 4
45 Deg Calf Press 180 8
45 Deg Calf Press 270 8
Notes Pause at bottom of squat. Lift with heels and back of legs.
Notes keep knees in during squats
I love SLDL's! They make me so tired. It's awesome!

My heart was pumping pretty hard during squats and leg press. I guess I need to do more aerobics to get my heart and lungs healthy.

TheGimp
07-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Nice to see you back in action. Good job on those SLDLs!

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Measurements 7-12-5:
L Biceps 15
R Bicep 15.25
L Fore 12
R Fore 12
Chest 43.5
Hips
Waist 35.5
L Calf 14.5
R Calf 14.25
L Quad 23.25
R Quad 23.5

Everything up about an inch from a year ago. Waist down 4 inches. I hope to add another inch by the time I reach my strength goals. I still need to do bodyfat measurements.

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks TheGimp! ...you don't mind me calling you that do you? ; )
I'll reach them just by focusing on one day at a time.

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Week 1
Date/Weight 12-Jul 201 lbs
ARMS ! = weight on each side of bar.
Straight Bar Curls - warmup 0 8
Straight Bar Curls 25! 6
Straight Bar Curls 35! 3
Alt. DB Curls 30! 6
Alt. DB Curls 40! 4
Preacher Curl - wide 25! 4
Lying Tricep Press - curl bar 25! 6
Lying Tricep Press 10! 6
Tricep Cable Press Downs 60 6
Tricep Cable Press Downs 60 5.5
DB Kickbacks 20 8
BB Wrist Curls 10! 6
BB Wrist Curls 10! 6
DB Wrist Curls - preach chr 20! 8
Notes. Elbows a little tender in Lying tricep press. Check form on DB kickbacks. Pressure on forearm in straight BB wrist curl.
Notes - resistance 2x as long as contraction
Start/End 9:30 AM 10:20 AM

Learning form. Bump up routine speed and concentration next week.

MM
07-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Nice workout man.

D Breyer
07-12-2005, 09:03 PM
impressive workout.

UM A deuce
07-12-2005, 09:26 PM
6'7" WOW! Knee pain during squats? I'm kinda tall too - 6'3" - and I've noticed terrible knee pain and shin splints while squatting...when I switched to a wider stance I noticed some improvement...Good luck to you...with that height, you will be Beastly when you gain some more size!!!

mickyjune26
07-13-2005, 06:02 AM
UM: 6'3" Do you have an online journal?
I'll try wider stand too. I bet doing more SLDLs will also help my knees. Weird - knee problem hasn't happened in a long time. I'll take it slow and i'm sure I'll get over it.

Thanks Cap'n and MM! Today is shoulders and traps.

spanky33
07-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Nice workouts man. Good luck with your goals. I'm 100% sure that if you follow a routine/lifestyle that you actually enjoy, you'll have awesome gains (especially compared to forcing yourself to do something). Besides, lifting for health benefits is absolutely respectable.
Good luck buddy

mickyjune26
07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
spanky - you're exactly right. I think we all go through phases where we make ourselves vs. wanting to. Over time, we oscillate less and eventually more into wanting to.

I'm going to keep my current 'wanting to' phase going as long as possible.

mickyjune26
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
hmmm....starting to get lazy with the diet. I'm eating enough complex carbs and good protein, but am adding more fat than I'm used to.

Wednesday workout - shoulders and traps:
13-Jul 204lbs
SHOULDERS ! = per DB or weight on each side of BB
Straight Bar Standing Mil Press - warmup 0! 8 & 3
Straight Mil Press (in front) 35! 5-Jan
Straight Mil Press 30! 3-Jan
Straight Mil Press 25! 3-Jan
Arnold Press 35! 5
Arnold Press 40! 6
DB Side Lat Raise 15! 6
DB Side Lat Raise 12! 6
Notes - Be Strict on form!
TRAPS
BB Shrugs 45! 6
BB Shrugs 70! 4
Upright rows - close grip 25! 6
Upright rows - close grip 25! 3
Notes - check form on upright rows - pause at the top for 1 sec. Same for Lat raise. Back of shoulders felt really tight. Continue to stretch, and learn new stretches
Start/End 5:20 5:50

D Breyer
07-13-2005, 08:25 PM
nice quick workout mickey, keep at it bro

D Breyer
07-13-2005, 08:28 PM
6'7" WOW! Knee pain during squats? I'm kinda tall too - 6'3" - and I've noticed terrible knee pain and shin splints while squatting...when I switched to a wider stance I noticed some improvement...Good luck to you...with that height, you will be Beastly when you gain some more size!!!
im about 6' maybe a little taller with pretty long legs, and i too used to experiance that pain as well... i asked a peronal trainer at my gym how i could fix this, and now when i squat, i make sure to emphasize on bringing my upperbody down, bringing my glutes to a full stretch (parellel), and under no circumstances letting my knees to past the front of my toes... its been helping a ton.

hope this helps

spanky33
07-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Nice shoulder session man. I need to learn some stretches too.

TheGimp
07-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Nice session. Am I reading it right that it took you 30 minutes? Good job on keeping it short and sweet.

mickyjune26
07-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Gimp: yep, 30 min. I'm trying to keep it short so I focus on max load instead of fatigue. I'll do this workout for 8 - 10 weeks and see what gains are made. Then I'm thinking about switching to 4 x 4-fail for 2 weeks, where I fail on each set, keeping the reps between 4 - 6.
Spanky: you're right abou the stretches. My back is another part that really needs a lot of stretching during the workout.
Capn: I'll try that. It's hard not to cheat in squats. FOCUS!!!!

mickyjune26
07-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Week 1
14-Jul 203lbs
BACK
Cable Pull Downs (warmup) 20 8
Cable Pull Downs - in front 100 6
Cable Pull Downs 130 5
Cable Pull Downs 130 4
Seated Cable Rows 120 5
Seated Cable Rows 120 6
Bent Over BB Rows 25! 8
Bent Over BB Rows 35! 8
Good Mornings Bar 8
Good Mornings 25! 6
Wieghted Hyper-ext 45! 5
Wieghted Hyper-ext 45! 4
Notes - Be Strict on form! pulldowns - less weight touch chest and squeeze. Good mornings - keep arms wide, because back of left shoulder was tweeked. I love Good Mornings and Bent over BB Rows. I can feel the rest of my body is catching up in those hard lifts because now my back fails before the rest of my body gets tired. BRING IT ON! Tomorrow morning is chest and abs. I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Start/End 3:00 3:40

TheGimp
07-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Good stuff. I'm wary about going to failure. I don't think its necessary for growth and can be taxing on the nervous system. I seem to recall that stopping one rep short is better.

mickyjune26
07-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Week 1
15-Jul 204lbs
CHEST ! = weight on each side of BB or each DB
BB Bench (warmup) 0 8
BB Bench 65! 4
BB Bench 70! 4
BB Bench 72.5! 3
Incline DB Bench - 25-30 deg 50! 6
Incline DB Bench 50! 6
Incline DB Bench 50! 5
Weighted Dips 0 6
Weighted Dips 0 5
ABS
Leg Lifts - warmup 0 4
Leg Lifts 0 12
Leg Lifts 0 6
Weighted Cable Crunches 60 9
Weighted Cable Crunches 90 6
Weighted Crunches 25 5
Notes - Weighted Dips - they are missing a weight belt. Any thoughts on complimentary exercise? Weight gain probably fat. I have been eating a lot…and not being strict on protein/carb sources. I need to research if sugars and salts hurt muscle growth…assuming that I'm getting enough water and carb/protein.
Start/End 7:05 7:45

mickyjune26
07-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Man, it was our sales training retreat and i have been eating way too much. Probably been getting around 6000 calories a day. I bet I'm going to weigh 206 on Monday.

Next week, i need to write down my diet...except i'll be in San Francisco for a trade show. Oh well, I'll just eat more protein bars and oatmeal/yogurt. Portability is the key.

mickyjune26
07-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Gimp. I wonder about that. I've heard you don't want to fail every week...I'll research some posts and see what I can find. 4x4 fail does seem pretty extreme though.

But then again...the guy that recommended it could bench 450 when he was doing it and he is a physical trainer. ....hmmm....

mickyjune26
07-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Missed church today. I slept in, so I read my scriptures to help find a balance in the day. I find that weight-lifting is only one part of my life. In order to succeed, I've got to remember to keep it all in line.

Weight-lifting is a physical reminder that I am keeping everything in perspective. I don't work too much. I don't date too much. I don't focus on myself too much. I keep spiritual things in order and take care of my body in a way that will maximize my energy levels.

And weight-lifting does that.

I'm going to create my diet in excel now.

D Breyer
07-17-2005, 12:57 PM
i missed church today also...

i think im going to the 5:30 though.

good luck with the diet man, keep it up

spanky33
07-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey. I think keeping a log of your diet in excel is a great idea man. I might do that too.
As for your earlier question in my log, I dont think varying your diet from day to day changes your metabolism. It takes something like 4 days of significantly changing your diet to have an impact on your metabolism (based on comments by Lyle Mcdonald). Also, long term (i.e. 6 month) severe deprivation of calories only reduces metabolism by about 30%. But anyway, my crazy daily variation in calories is based on the UD2 plan.

mickyjune26
07-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Started to create my diet and then remembered that I'm traveling all week this week...so I can't exactly carry around cottage cheese and yogurt. :)

I'm creating two diets - One for travel and one for at-home when for fridge use. Typing it out also helps me memorize it.
This evening is leg day. I can't wait!

mickyjune26
07-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Week 2 of 8
! = Weight on each side of BB or each DB weight

7/21/05 205lbs
BACK
Cable Pull Downs (warmup) 20 8
Cable Pull Downs - in front 135 6
Cable Pull Downs 135 5
Cable Pull Downs 135 4
Seated Cable Rows - v-bar 135 4
Seated Cable Rows 135 5
Bent Over BB Rows 35! 6
Bent Over BB Rows 40! 6
Good Mornings 25! 4
Good Mornings 25! 4
Wieghted Hyper-ext 45! 6
Wieghted Hyper-ext 45! 6
Start/End 8:00 8:40

I'm going to check form on all my lifts.

spanky33
07-22-2005, 05:04 AM
Hey man you've gained some weight. Nice work out too. Keep it up, you're doing awesome.

mickyjune26
07-23-2005, 11:47 AM
yep. It's probably fat though. ;) This week I'll be eating thee same calories, but with healthy food. No more out to eat.

Off to do chest and abs today!

KevinStarke
07-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Happy benching man

mickyjune26
07-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Week 2
! = weight on each side of BB or each DB 7/23/05 208lbs
CHEST
BB Bench (warmup) 20! 8
BB Bench 65! 6 PR
BB Bench 70! 6 PR
BB Bench 75! 3 PR
Incline DB Bench - 25-30 deg 50! 6
Incline DB Bench 55! 3
Incline DB Bench 55! 3
Weighted Dips 0 6
Weighted Dips 0 4
ABS
Leg Lifts - warmup 0 12
Leg Lifts 0 12
Leg Lifts
Cable crunches - rope hold by ear 80 8
Cable crunches - rope hold by ear 90 8
Weighted Crunches 10 7
Notes - I'm getting better at focusing different parts of my abs. I gained about 2 pounds in last two days. This week I'll prob lose a few. Going to focus on getting more clean cals.
Start/End 2:00 2:45

REPS
07-23-2005, 04:11 PM
hey i am new here and a new bb its funny because i was a bean pole less than 2 years ago and i have bad knees as well. I was in therapy for knees. The combination of a dr. and a good therapist and excercise is what helped me. I make sure to really stretch out my legs good. I also double wrap my knees with two kinds of supports. I use the ones with the holes in the front. One is a knee sleve and the other has straps. This gives me lots of support. I am also tall so i like to use the smith machine because it puts less stress on my back and i can feel my legs working more. Yeah just stay at it and eat a lot. The people i use to know two years ago are always suprised when they see me now and i am not even that big but compared to how i use to look i have changed a lot. i had to be one of the skinnest guys to ever go into i gym. When I started I was 164 and 6'3 i think that is also bean pole status now I am up to almost 220. All the best dude. ONE MORE REP!

spanky33
07-23-2005, 05:32 PM
i doubt it's all fat.
by the way, 'eating out' and eating healthy wont make a difference in terms of fat gain if the calories are the same...that's a common misconception. if you like eating out, do that, just keep calories in check.
just my opinion.
good luck

mickyjune26
07-26-2005, 08:42 AM
I bet I was getting over 5,000 cals on the eat out days. My body gains weight just fine at 3,500.

Here are my Leg stats. It was a pretty good workout. My squats and leg press got stronger!

! = weight on each side of Bar or each DB Week 3
7/25/05 206lbs
LEGS
Squats - warmup 0 a lot of stretching
Squats - warmup 0 more stretches
Squats 70! 6
Squats 80! 4
Squats 80! 3 - 4
Leg press 290 6
Leg press 380 6
Leg press 470 3
SLDL - warmup none
Sitting Calf Raise 190 6
Sitting Calf Raise 190 4
45 Deg Calf Press 180 8
45 Deg Calf Press 270 8
Notes keep legs close during SLDL. Wide stance on squat. Felt Gooooood!
Notes
Start/End

spanky33
07-27-2005, 10:40 AM
When you say 'ab', what sorts of exercises do you do?

mickyjune26
07-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Do you mean this?

ABS
Leg Lifts - warmup 0 12
Leg Lifts 0 12
Leg Lifts
Cable crunches - rope hold by ear 80 8
Cable crunches - rope hold by ear 90 8
Weighted Crunches 10 7

mickyjune26
07-28-2005, 05:30 PM
! = weight on each side of BB or each DB
Week 3
Date/Weight 7/26/05 206lbs
ARMS
Straight Bar Curls - warmup 25! 6
Straight Bar Curls 30! 4
Straight Bar Curls 35! 6
Alt. DB Curls 40! 4
Alt. DB Curls 25! 4
Cable Curl 70 4
TRIS
Wide grip calbe press down 70 4
Wide grip 100 1
Skull crushers 80 2
Skull crushers 50 6
DB Kickbacks - -
Curl Bar Wrist Curls 20! 8
Curl Bar Wrist Curls 20! 8
DB Wrist Curls - preach chr
Finally found a really comfortable position for wrist exercises. Sitting, forearms legs. My Tri's are really not liking tricep press or wide grip cable press downs.

Workout took an hour, because I'm helping a friend learn to lift.

mickyjune26
07-28-2005, 05:33 PM
My upper back and tricep has felt like it has a pinched nerve for the last two days. It's on my left side. It does away if I take my left arm and put it next to my right armpit, like I'm hugging myself.

What muscle is tweeked?

I'm going to use www.exrx.net to find some lifts to slowly strengthen the muscle once it is identified.

I think I'm going too heavey on side shoulder raises, DB kickbacks, and Dips. I'm going to substitute these lifts this next week and see what happens.

Shoulder day today. Going to lift a litter lighter to make sure I don't aggrevate this pinched nerve.

mickyjune26
07-29-2005, 09:08 AM
I did shoulders yesturday, and it was great. I am getting better at isolating specific parts of my shoulder. In order to improve my form, I imagine that the weights are tied to my elbows and that I'm pushing up with my elbows.
:ninja:
This prevents my back from helping too much. I can't lift as much, but I can feel it more in my shoulders.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, because I use this technique for my back so that my bi's don't do as much work. I'll post my #'s after lunch.

mickyjune26
07-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm up to 207! This time the weight will stay, because I've been eating regularly for the last few days and know that it's not just cheat-day weight. On cheat days I gain a little water weight because of the increase in sodium in my diet.

I've updated my signature!

spanky33
07-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Do you mean this?
yes

spanky33
07-29-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm up to 207! This time the weight will stay, because I've been eating regularly for the last few days and know that it's not just cheat-day weight. On cheat days I gain a little water weight because of the increase in sodium in my diet.

I've updated my signature!

1-2 lbs might be just extra food in the gut compared to before you were eating like this. But 1-2 pounds AT MOST. So you've definitely put on some weight. Good luck man. See, your new plan is working great. Keep it up.

mickyjune26
07-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Lol! Guess how much I weighed in at today? 209lbs! That was after my workout, because I forgot to weigh in before. Spanky, it's funny to watch my weight oscillate. I think it went up because I ate some scalloped potatoes, pork, and stuffing (high-sodium foods) and my body absorbed watter to balance my sodium density.

mickyjune26
07-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Chest day was awesome. All my numbers went up. I attribute a lot to eating right, eating some N.O. reactor/creatine mix, and stretching for a good 10 minutes before the workout. My blood was flowing and my chest screamin for some more weights.

! = weight on each side of BB or each DB
Week 3
7/30/05 209lbs
CHEST

BB Bench 70! x 6
70! X 5
75! X 2
I've got to position my hands right on bench. It will make a huge difference on my lifts.

Incline DB Bench - 25-30 deg 50! X 6
55! X 6
60! X 2
Cable Flys (a1) 20 x 8
Weighted Dips 40 x 4
ABS
Leg Lift - med ball 4 x 8
6 x 5
9 x 3
Medicine ball leg lifts rock! They are so hard!
Cable crunches - rope hold by ear 90 x 3-6
Cable crunches - rope hold by ear 90 x 3-6
Weighted Crunches 10 x 5
Notes - Start/End 2:00 - 3:00

mickyjune26
07-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Spanky, i mean stomach when I say abs. I hope that's what you meant.

spanky33
07-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Lol! Guess how much I weighed in at today? 209lbs! That was after my workout, because I forgot to weigh in before. Spanky, it's funny to watch my weight oscillate. I think it went up because I ate some scalloped potatoes, pork, and stuffing (high-sodium foods) and my body absorbed watter to balance my sodium density.

yea man, my weight goes up and down like a ping pong ball.

spanky33
07-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Spanky, i mean stomach when I say abs. I hope that's what you meant.

well what i meant was, what specifically do you do for your abs?

mickyjune26
07-30-2005, 11:16 PM
I make sure that I do 6 - 8 reps in each set and only work my abs once per week. I treat it like all my other muscle groups.

During my leg lifts, I grip a med ball between my feet and make sure that my abs are pulling the ball up, instead of my lower back pushing the ball up. If my back gets tired, that means that I'm cheating.

Then I grab a lat cable pulley, replace the long bar with a skull-crusher rope and hold the rope by my ears and to cable crunches. Those are sweet because I concentrate really hard to make sure my abs are pulling my body down. It really makes my abs tired.

Then I finish with weighted crunches, where lay on the ground, an dI hold a 10lb plate straight over my head. I look through the hole in the plate and aim at a spot on the ceiling. I slowly curl my upper body towards my knees, while still looking at the same spot on the ceiling. This helps me avoid straining my neck.

In the end, if I max out, I can feel it. Let me know if you have any questions, and I hope this helps you spanky.

RaginT
07-31-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey, just popped into your journal, well because its early in the day and i've little else to do. I saw your bench and squat gaols, but where is your dead goal?

Those goals are certainly attainable, i was able to manage em, they are in my sig. But i strongly believe that us taller people need to have a strong back to support us. I didnt read all the journal to see if you have said why you dont do them, but for what its worth i'd say do them.

AT 6`7 just pack on as much weight as possible, i'm 275 and i know i can fit more on. I tho wasn't a total beanpole i some how had a beer gut, maybe from being Irish. But i'm working now to lose that and then i'll hit a bulk again and aim for 300. Having just this past year put on over 20lbs, so many people are now telling me how good i look being that i'm not all skinny and awkward, or how i've filled out. They all have no idea how much work it took, and i see other tall skinny people and i want to run up to them and feed them.

Anyway there's my morning rant, so good luck with ataining your goals.
Get BIG not just tall its more fun.

mickyjune26
08-01-2005, 08:30 AM
LOL, ...mental picture of you running around the street with a wooden spoon and bucket full of oatmeal, shoving it into every skinny person's mouth you saw.

hahahaahahahaha

Tell you what, after I finish this 8-week cycle, I'll swap SLDL's with dead lift. I think I'll be ready.

Thanks for the suggestion! When I eat enough, It's not that hard to gain weight or strength, but since I'm so tall, my metabolism is naturally a lot higher.

Well, gotta go eat to tunafish sandwhiches!

RaginT, you got a journal?

mickyjune26
08-01-2005, 04:46 PM
man, I forgot to pack other food so I've been eating just tunafish on whole wheat bread today.

Packing down the 4th of 6 sandwhiches. Mmmmmm.....this is almost goooooood.

mickyjune26
08-01-2005, 04:55 PM
My squats went up again. I'll post the #'s tomorrow! I need to start doing more arobics, because I feel out of breath. My breaks between sets are approaching 5 minutes.

mickyjune26
08-02-2005, 12:53 PM
I sprained my left ankle playing soccar last night. I don't think it's a good idea to play sports on leg day, because my muscles are too tight or loose.

Any thoughts?

I have 6 tuna sandwhiches in my body right now from my meals yesturday. You can be sure that I'm planning my meals better now.

mickyjune26
08-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Daily Total 3684 cals 261.5 Prot 475 70.75 $7.89
Daily Required 3575 cals 256.25 prot 615 80 $5
Cal Prot Carbs Fat Cost

Are these good #'s for me? I'm going to do more research.

Meal 0 - 5am - Starter Shake
3 1 Cup Water
2 1 TB (20 g) Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
1.5 1 scoop ProV60 Protein Powder
Meal 1 - 5am - Breakfast
1 1 Cup Great Value NF Reg Milk
2 0.5 cup Great Value Oven Toasted Oats -
0.5 116 G Banana - Medium
Postworkout
2 1 Cup Water
1 0.5 cup Great Value Oven Toasted Oats -
2 1 TB (20 g) Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
1.5 1 scoop ProV60 Protein Powder

Meal 2 - 10am
4 1.0 slice Hearthstone 100% whole wheat bread
2 2 Tab. Great Value Peanut Butter
2 1 Cup Water

Meal 3 - 1pm - Lunch
2 1 Cup Cups Water
2.5 2 oz. Great Value Tuna - Water
4 1.0 slice Hearthstone 100% whole wheat bread

Meal 4 - 3:30pm - Afternoon Snack

2 1 Cup Cups Water
1 1 Cup Great Value Fat Free Yogurt
1 98g Peach
1 0.5 cup Great Value Oven Toasted Oats -

Meal 5 - 6pm - Evening Meal

2 1 Cups Water
1 0.5 Chicken breast, cooked
1 1 Whole Wheat Noodles
1 1 Cup (100g) Mixed Vegetables

Meal 6 - 7pm - Late Dinner
1 .5 Cup Great Value Fat Free Cott Cheese
1 1 Cup Great Value NF Reg Milk
2 0.5 cup Great Value Oven Toasted Oats -
0.5 116 G Banana - Medium

mickyjune26
08-02-2005, 04:52 PM
! = weight on each side of Bar or each DB Week 4 8/1/5 207lbs
Had a bunch of PRs. I have been increasing in strength each week. Maybe I'll hit my goals before I leave for my mission!

LEGS
Squats - warmup
Squats - warmup
Squats 70! - 6
Squats 80! - 4
Squats 90! - 3
Leg press 360 - 6
Leg press 360 - 6
Leg press 470 - 4
Notes Bench all the way back. Push with heels. Let hams do work. Don't strain body.
SLDL - warmup do warmup
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 45! - 5 or 6
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 45! - 4
Notes Don’t lose count, dummy.
Sitting Calf Raise 180 - 6/10f
Sitting Calf Raise 180 - 5/10f
45 Deg Calf Press 360 - 5
45 Deg Calf Press 360 - 5
Notes
Start/End

mickyjune26
08-02-2005, 04:57 PM
! = weight on each side of BB or each DB Week 4
Date/Weight 8/2/5 207.5lbs

Had PRs on all exercises and finally figured out a good replacement for EZ Curl Tricep extensions.

ARMS
Straight Bar Curls 25! - 6
Straight Bar Curls 30! 5.5
Alt. DB Curls - Stand 35! - 6
Alt. DB Curls - Stand 40! - 5
Notes I went good-n-slow on these reps.
Preacher Curl - Wide 25! - 6
Preacher Curl - Wide 25! 3
One-arm push down 35! - 6
One-arm push down 30! - 10
Notes - keep elbow slightly in front of body.
Skull crushers 70 - 4
Skull crushers 70 - 3
BB Wrist Curls 0! - 8
BB Wrist Curls 0! - 8
Notes - shoulder width, focus on small, precise movements.
DB Wrist Curls - preach chr 20! - 8

Start/End

D Breyer
08-02-2005, 04:59 PM
nice workout mickey, nice curls... 25 on each side of a 45 lb straight bar???

mickyjune26
08-02-2005, 05:00 PM
My ankle is feeling better. I didn't sprain it that bad, and it should be ready for next Monday...er...Tuesday. I'm traveling on Monday. It's great to get the extra traveling income, but I have to work extra hard to ensure I don't miss a training day.

I KNOW this is the only reason my #'s continually go up. I haven't missed a day in 3 weeks, and I've been eating pretty good. Oats-n-Tuna-WW Bread-WW Noodles-n-chicken-n-eggs-and all the other good stuff I can get my hands on.

Gotta jet! I'm going to go eat a NY Sub and teach a piano lesson. Adam, the boy I'm teaching, thinks it's amazing that I can make my viens pop out of my hand like they do. He should see my forearms when I'm doing Alt DB Curls!

mickyjune26
08-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Crunch - Yeah. I make sure to go slow, because by the 4th rep I can feel my bi's starting to tighten up. I don't want to rip a tendon. ;0)

D Breyer
08-02-2005, 10:21 PM
good to hear about your ankle micky- thats cool that you teach piano lessons.

i get a pretty sick pump in my veins when i do alt dumbell curls too, its sweet

spanky33
08-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Hey mickey, what's up. I have a chronic ankle problem too (i always sprain it playing soccer). It's pretty weak now and I seem to sprain it once or twice a year. As for playing sports on leg days, I find it alright, but then I get severe DOMS for 3-4 days. And obviously I'm not as quick as I want to be when I'm playing, not much energy left. But I think if you take it easy, you can play, just dont sprint too much.

Take care

spanky33
08-03-2005, 08:38 AM
By the way, my squats are nothing compared to yours. You're squatting 240. I think if i REALLY push myself I can do 220 at most right now. Long way to go to catch up to you.

ericg
08-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Nice journal man. Showing some nice progress.

I was wondering though, why you note the weight on each side of the BB as opposed to the total weight lifted? It was a bit confusing at first. So "Squats 90! - 3" is really 225lbs for 3 reps. Seems a bit unorthodox. ;)

mickyjune26
08-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Eric,
I did it at first, because i was having problem adding the weights in my head. I think I need a calculator in the gym. You know, one of those accounting calculators that makes the loud sound when you press ENTER. that would be real slick.

I'm going to see about just putting the total weight for BB lifts. Lately, I've been getting better and adding the weights in my head, so it shouldn't be a prob now.

Thanks for stopping by.

mickyjune26
08-03-2005, 09:40 PM
! = per DB
Week 4 of 8
8/3/5 211lbs
SHOULDERS
Standing BB Mil Press 105 - 6
Standing BB Mil Press 105 - 6
Standing BB Mil Press 105 - 4
Notes: Strrrretch!
Narrow Arnold Press 40! - 6
Narrow Arnold Press 40! - 3
Notes Stretch
Wide DB Press 25! - 4
Wide DB Press 25! - 3
Notes Sitting ankle-grab stretch
TRAPS
BB Shrugs 165 - 6
BB Shrugs 165 - 5
Upright rows - wide 65 - 6
Upright rows - wide 65 - 5
Notes - 10! On each side was too much for upright rows. Don't pull up too far. Go slow and focus on form.
Start/End

Man, I weighed a little more today, because I went and ate a huge italian meal. Made sure to eat a banana to assist in digesting the sodium. tomorrow is Back day. I hope to get a another PR with cable rows. It won't be too long before I can row the whole stack of 200. YEAH!

ericg
08-04-2005, 05:44 AM
You need a pocket protector to go along with that. Or, go old school and get a slide rule.

Nice shoulder work. I never felt comfortable doing upright rows. It always bothered my shoulder.

mickyjune26
08-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Maxed my bench. This is from last Saturday. The guy there said that if I'm doing really heavy weights, I should keep it an inch above my chest, instead of touching my chest. Either way, I make sure to go relatively slow so I don't injure myself.

Week 4 of 8

CHEST
BB Bench 185 - 4
205 - 3
215 -2
225 - 1
Incline DB Bench - 25-30 deg 55s - 6
55s - 3

Decline DB Bench 30s - 6
40s - 6
ABS
Leg Lift - med ball 4 - 8
6 - 6
9 - 3
Cable crunches - rope hold by ear 90 - 6
Weighted Crunches 10 - 6
Notes -
Start/End

mickyjune26
08-10-2005, 09:44 AM
I took 3 days off, and I'm back even stronger. I kept eating right and I haven't lost any weight. I went to Bible study and for some reason, my body was overflowing with energy. I could feel the oatmeal/protein shake coursing through my body. 8 o'clock rolled around, and I knew I had a choice -

Go to work, or workout my legs.

With this energy shooting through me, I knew that I wouldn't be able to focus at work....so I went to the gym. It was great. I tore it up. I wish I could make these type of gains each week!

Week 5 of 8
8-10-5 209lbs
LEGS
Squats 205 - 5
Squats 225 - 4
Squats 235 -2/3
Leg press 360 - 6
Leg press 450 - 6
Leg press 500 - 5 -
Notes
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 135 - 6
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 155 - 5
Notes
Sitting Calf Raise 190 - 6/20f
Sitting Calf Raise 190 - 5/20f
45 Deg Calf Press 420 - 6
45 Deg Calf Press 420 - 6
Notes awesome leg day! Many PRs!
Start/End

mickyjune26
08-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks eric! I have to do uprights really slow. I'll probably move down on weights this week. Also, I constantly stretch throughout shoulder day. They are always trying to tighten up!

spanky33
08-10-2005, 05:13 PM
damn i'm falling behind in the legs. gotta catch up to you man. great work. awesome leg presses btw. holy

mickyjune26
08-11-2005, 08:49 PM
I made it. In the last two weeks, I've traveled to Garland, San Antonio, San Angelo, and Normangee...and haven't missed a workout.

Now this last Sunday I fasted for 24 hours due to church. I usually lift on Mondays, but I didn't lift until Wednesday. Additionally, I stopped taking Nitrine Creatine. You would think that my #'s would go down, right?

They didn't! Both my legs and now my arms have gone up. Anyone know what's up?

REPS
08-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Wow your making a lot of improvements your weights are going up. I do short break cycles like 20 seconds in-between sets. If you try this every once and a while or a giant set (3 straight exercises without a break) you will improve your cardiovascular. You can also throw some cardio in there on leg day when your beat get on the bike and go crazy for as long as you can. I am just saying you want to be in good shape. I want to be strong and have a strong heart. Heart only really gets strong with cardiovascular workout. A strong heart means a long life in general. Keep it up dude soon you shall be that Goliath.

mickyjune26
08-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Week 5 of 8
Everything PR'd, except for wrist curls. I think that even though I've been lifting for a while, because it's on and off, I'm experiencing the good 'ol newbie gains.

Date/Weight 8/11/05
ARMS
Straight Bar Curls 115 - 4
Alt. DB Curls - Stand 40s - 6
Alt. DB Curls - Stand 40s - 6
Notes
Preacher Curl - Wide 75 - 5
Preacher Curl - Wide 75 - 4-6
notes Wow, my bi's were tightening up so that I couldn't lower the curl bar all the way down on the 4th-6th set. I'm always wondering if my bi's are going to fall off and my arm will just flop to the ground. That would feel really good, like a those massages where your formarms are ripped out of their sockets.....mmmmmmmm.....gooooooood.
One-arm push down 40 - 6
One-arm push down 40 - 5
Notes - keep elbow slightly in front of body. I finally found out why my elbow was tweaking while doing the lying-down tricep extension. My elbows weren't built to bend that way! With the one-arm press downs, I hold the grip so that my arm is pressing down and my forearm is alsmost parrallel to my chest (grip travels from my left shoulder to right waist).
Skull crushers 70 - 4
Skull crushers 70 - 3
notes: I felt like He-Man while doing these, as usuall. I'd have to say that this is my favorite exercise. I HAAAVE THE POWERRRRRR!!!!
BB Wrist Curls 45 - 8
BB Wrist Curls 55 - 8
Notes - shoulder width, focus on small, precise movements. …and then I go straight to curling a puny little bar with 5-pounders on them. The gym is not place for pride!
DB Wrist Curls - preach chr 20!
he-he. These are small weights, yet surprisingly hard to wrist curl now.

mickyjune26
08-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks REPS, it's great to hear words of encouragement.

Do you think my body would go into catabolic state if I were to do aerobics after weightlifting? Afterall, at the end of my leg workout, I'm sure I've depleted my glycogen stores, and my body will start eating muscle for energy during the bike run.

Just my thoughts...what do you think?

REPS
08-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Sure your be depleted of glycogen stores but that happens after every workout. What I am saying and I could be complete wrong (would not be the first time) but it seems that your workout lack cardiovascular intensity and the bike thing was just a thought I had to help you ease into cardio since you are focused on building muscle using the bike at end of a leg day might be appealing to you. Yes it is true that hard cardio workouts do burn muscle but those workouts have to be for long durations such as 45 minutes or more of hard cardio. Low levels of cardio do not burn muscle (good test of low and high level is if you can carry on a conversation, if you can't its hard cardio). I doubt after a hard leg session you could go that long on a bike and that it would have little affect on your muscle building process. You can buy a glycogen loader and mix it for pre and post workout shakes, but I don't know that much about glycogen but some of the other guys can help, I know it is important for the building process.

I think its important to realize that having lots of muscle can be dangerous if your heart is not in good condition. To your heart there is no differences to 250 pounds of muscle to 250 pounds of fat. It has to work just as hard maybe harder with muscle because it’s denser. Bodybuilders who neglect the heart strength factor can put themselves at risk. Doing cardio can almost ensure that your heart is able to function sufficiently to carry all of the extra weight and size you will put on by lifting.

It’s never too early to start cardio. Once you starting eating regularly your metabolism will slow down this is how you gain doing cardio can keep you gaining muscle and keep fat down. In order to gain muscle in most cases you do gain fat as well.

There are many different cardio workout plans. I like to do burst. Where I basically go slowly most of the time then do sprint burst and repeat the cycle. If I miss a cardio workout I think about it more than if I miss a lifting workout. A lot of people do cardio on off days, or before or after training, or first thing in the morning. Well I said too much your doing great and have come a long way in a short time.

mickyjune26
08-15-2005, 07:38 AM
REPS,
I completely agree. We weightlifters have to be careful not to neglect your cardiovascular. Because of your words, I'm inspired to go play soccar tonight!

mickyjune26
08-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Well, I'm back at work today. The weekend was great.

On Saturday I made sure to eat right, got my extra clothes to go to church after lifting, and drove to the gym. Despite my efforts to ensure I didn't miss a lift day, I forgot to think about the gym hours....they close at 3:00 on saturdays and it was 4:30 by the time I was driving there.

At that point, I just laughed at myself pretty hard. I had put in all that effort to not miss a day and ended up forgetting the gym hours. You know, the gym i've been going to for 5 weeks straight! When I realized this, I decided to go straight to church, drink my "post-workout" shake and play piano until the baptism started.

I've had plenty of this....but let's get one more in. LOL!

Today is back day. I'm looking to go up in all my lifts. I CAN'T wait!

PS - I probably gained some fat, because I've been eating my momma's meatball's the whole weekend. mmmmmm.....gooooooooood

mickyjune26
08-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Also - Last night I dreamed that this lady was throwing knives at me and I was hittin them away like a karate man. I would like to thank WBB for those skills.

Girls like guys with SKILLS! You know...computer hacking skills, bow-hunting skills...you know...SKILLS!

spanky33
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
LOL. i think the meatballs are getting to your head buddy.
btw one missed workout is nothing. i'm sure u'll never forget gym hours again.

Big & Tall
08-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Hey, bro, nice looking workouts. Looks like you are progressing every time, which is excellent. I have to go with Eric--I like total weights rather than weight per side. And it doesn't take long before you can multiply by 45 in your sleep.

One comment--I didn't go back that far, but it looks like your diet is very low in fat. Whether you're cutting or bulking (I assume you're bulking), some more healthy fats (peanut butter or nuts, fish, flax oil, etc.) would probably be a good thing. Do you have a reason for keeping it so low, or did I just look at an off day?

mickyjune26
08-16-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks Spanky, mmmmm....meeeeatbaaaaaalllls.

Big - No reason. In fact, my diet has been around 75% perfect lately. As soon as I get back from Chicago this Thursday, I'm going to do a better job. I'll make sure I get enough fats in. In fact, a nat PB sandwhich sounds good right now.

mickyjune26
08-16-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks for your support, guys.

Last night, I played dodgeball with a bunch of people from church. At first, I was one of the hardest-throwing people. I was getting people out, left and right. They were falling over, and blood was everywhere.

okay, no blood.

But I dun good....or at least until Arthur showed up. At that point, he started to throw it as fast as a baseball. I think he used to play ball or something. One of the balls he threw hit me so hard that I had a nice 8 inch red circle on my chest.

I laughed and then stood by the wall. :)

On a good note, there were a lot of cute girls there, and I talked to them in between bringing pain to the other team.

Injuries: 2
Moments of laughter as the other team over lost teeth and broken noses: Many

Well, I'm off to chicago. I didn't plan my workout or diet ahead of time, so I'm going to do 200 pushups at the hotel tonight and just eat a lot of food throughout the day. Thurdsay we'll be back on the ball with LEG-DAY!!!

mickyjune26
08-16-2005, 06:28 AM
I was going to give this a cool title like "back-off", but decided I would chest take it easy.

I lost a little weight (now at 209), because I haven't taken creatine for a week and I've been lifting every other day now. I don't know my total calorie counts, but I just make sure to eat every 2 - 3 hours. I'm probably not getting enough cals.

Week 5 of 8
! = Weight on each side of BB or each DB weight
BACK
Cable Pull Downs - in front 150 - 6
Cable Pull Downs 150 - 6
Cable Pull Downs 150 - 6
Seated Cable Rows - v-bar 150 - 6
Seated Cable Rows 150 - 3
Bent Over BB Rows 135 - 5
Bent Over BB Rows 135 - 5
Bent over DB Row 80s - 6
Good Mornings 95 - 6
Good Mornings 95 - 6
Wieghted Hyper-ext 45 - 7
Wieghted Hyper-ext 45 - 6
Start/End

mickyjune26
08-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Did my workout without weights. I'll post the stats later. Pretty tired now. It's a little harder to keep track of progress when your body is the only resistance.

D Breyer
08-17-2005, 12:16 AM
good back workout. i hate working out with just bodyweight.. i know where you're comming from on that one. keep up the good work mick

mickyjune26
08-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Off to do legs. I've been eating wheat shakes lately. They aren't too bad.

spanky33
08-22-2005, 04:53 PM
time for you to post again! dont get lazy now

Big & Tall
08-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Yeah, keep up the journal, it's good for you :)

Wheat shakes? Is this something like oats blended into your protein shake? I've tried that, but it made me want to die.

ericg
08-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Been away for a few week. Looks like you are getting stronger for sure. Nice work man. Ace dodgeball story as well!

mickyjune26
08-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the posts, guys. I'm back and ready to lift for the rest of the week. No more travels, and no more trainings. It's just work, lift, and sleep.

Chicago was pretty fun, because I was able to drive a rental car. I asked for a Jeep Cherokee. On my first trip to the windy city, I prepaid for my gas. I didn't realize that this meant you were paying for an ENTIRE tank of gas ahead of time.

Because I only had 200 miles to drive, I made sure to floor it as much as possible so that I would get my money's worth out of the tank. By the time I returned it, the gauge was almost touching "E". My task was accomplished. :cool:

Also, I've decided to boo toll-ways.

BOOOOO!!! :ninja:

I started tracking my diet using my blackberry. It's really, really helpful.

Yesturday, I was up from 6am-2am, so my calorie count was 4200. wow. I wonder what I'll weigh today. I'm guessing a solid 211.

Today is back day. I hope to hit 160 on my cable rows. Pretty soon, I'll be maxing out that machine.

mickyjune26
08-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I can't offer advice on taste. I've learned to shut off my tongue. ;)

I like wheat shakes because they don't give me gas. It's not cool working in on your computer when your stomach wants to keep giving you gas.

Ingrediants:
1 serving van protein
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
A little cinnamon and corn sugar to spike my insulan

Mix and drink. I like them when I'm traveling, because I can mix them in a styrofoam cup and drink them. This is where a wax-tongue is handy. Sometimes this method can be a little warm and chunkey. mmmmmmm.....j/k

Big & Tall
08-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Ok, still doesn't sound like a culinary delight, but I think it would at least blend smoother than oatmeal. Where'd you get the idea for these?

mickyjune26
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
It was an idea that has evolved over time. I used to eat 6 tunafish sandwhiches a day. Then, I started to eat oatmeal. After a while, I was tired of eating oatmeal in a bowl, so i just started to drink it.
Lately, the oats don't play nice with my stomach, so I decided to swith it with Whole Wheat Flour. The nice this about whole wheat flour is that it doesn't have any sugars in it. This makes it great for cutting, because it fills you up with minimal carbs.

mickyjune26
08-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Week 6
8-18-5 211lbs
LEGS
Squats 205 - 5
Squats 225 - 4
Squats 245 - 2
Leg press 360 - 6
Leg press 450 - 6
Leg press 500 - 5
Notes
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 135 - 6
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 155 - 6
Notes
Sitting Calf Raise 190 - 6/20f
Sitting Calf Raise 190 - 5/20f
45 Deg Calf Press 450 - 8
45 Deg Calf Press 450 - 8
Notes
Start/End
Week 6 of 8
Date/Weight 8/19/05 210 lbs
ARMS
Straight Bar Curls 115 - 2
Alt. DB Curls - Stand 45s - 6
Alt. DB Curls - Stand 45s - 4
Notes
Preacher Curl - Wide 75 - 6
Preacher Curl - Wide 75 - 5
notes
One-arm push down 25s - 6
One-arm push down 40 - 6
Notes - keep elbow slightly in front of body. 40 - 5
Skull crushers
Skull crushers 70 - 5
notes: 70 - 3
BB Wrist Curls
BB Wrist Curls 45 - 8
Notes - shoulder width, focus on small, precise movements. 45 - 4
DB Wrist Curls - preach chr hold with fingers, not palm
20s - 8

Start/End

Week 6

SHOULDERS
Standing BB Mil Press 115 - 6
Standing BB Mil Press 115 - 5
Standing BB Mil Press 115 - 4
Notes:
Narrow Arnold Press 45s - 6
Narrow Arnold Press 45s - 4
Notes
Wide DB Press 25 - 6
Wide DB Press 25 - 5
Notes slow 1,1, 2
TRAPS
BB Shrugs 165 - 6
BB Shrugs 165 - 6
Upright rows - wide 45 - 6
Upright rows - wide 55 - 6
Notes -
Start/End

Week 6 of 8

BACK
Cable Pull Downs - in front 160 - 6
Cable Pull Downs 160 - 6
Cable Pull Downs 160 - 6
Seated Cable Rows - v-bar 160 - 6
Seated Cable Rows 160 - 5
Bent Over BB Rows 135 - 6
Bent Over BB Rows 135 - 6
Bent over DB Row 85s - 5
Good Mornings 95 - 6
Good Mornings 95 - 6
Wieghted Hyper-ext 60 - 6
Wieghted Hyper-ext 60 - 6
Notes - Be Strict on form! Pull up futher on BB rows.
Start/End

mickyjune26
08-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Had a great chest day.

Week 6

CHEST
BB Bench 185 - 6
205 - 6
215 - 3

Incline DB Bench - 25-30 deg 55s - 6
55s - 4
pull weights in
Decline DB Bench 35s - 6
45s - 6
ABS
Leg Lift - med ball 4 - 8
6 - 8
9 - 3
Weighted Crunches 10 - 4

mickyjune26
08-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Week 7
8-25-5 209lbs
LEGS
Squats 205 - 6
Squats 225 - 5
Squats 225 - 5
Leg press 360 - 6
Leg press 450 - 6
Leg press 500 - 6
Notes leg press went up
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 155 - 6
Stiff Leg Dead Lift 175 - 6
Notes form!
Sitting Calf Raise
Sitting Calf Raise
45 Deg Calf Press
45 Deg Calf Press

mickyjune26
08-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Man, today was rough. I woke up on my matress on the floor, because I've given up on beds. My first one was free and when I moved I didn't want to take it with me. Now I'm down to a matress.

The room was about 85 degrees, so my first sensations this morning were a headache and a dry mouth. What a beautiful morning.

I wasn't going to let it bother me. I got ready, drank some protein, and made an omelette sandwhich for the road. I have a hard time not thinking in the morning so I tend to eat my breakfast in my car.

I thought I'd be brilliant and make some of my meals whole wheat flour shakes. Here's what they looked like:

Protein shake
Egg sandwhich
Whole wheat flour + Protein Shake
Banana
Whole wheat noodles and chicken
Whole wheat flour + protein shake
Fat free yogurt

As the day progressed, I felt more and more tired. I felt bloated. I couldn't eat. This was not a good leg day, but I made myself still go to the gym. I refuse to be beaten.

I did legs and felt more tired than I've ever felt. I made myself do squats. I made myself to leg presses. I made myself do SLDLs. I made myself do them all, and I made it.

...and I felt like junk the whole time.

You know what's great? If I can make it through these days, I can make it through any day. I know I can do it.

-----------------------------------------------
Why did I feel so tired? I analyzed my diet and noticed that it doesn't contain enough sugars and fat. I went home, and ate some vegetables cooked in olive oil. Nothing has ever tasted so good. My tongue is really good and communicating with my brain when I'm eating something that is good for me.
As soon as water touches my mouth, dehydration headaches go away. In this case, the olive oil gave me energy.
-----------------------------------------------
For those of you who feel like junk on lift day, keep at it. If you can lift when you don't good, you can lift more when you feel great. Keep at it, and I know that you WILL SUCCEED!

Big & Tall
09-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Haven't seen you on in a little while--I hope all is well.

Good job on pushing yourself through the workout, even though you were tired. That is something I should work on. I should also say, though, that you should be careful when doing this--most of my injuries have come from pushing myself too far when tired. If you can fight off the fatigue and keep focus, that is excellent, but if it is distracting you, stop--and injury will set you back much more than an 80-90% workout.

Anyway, nice job, and I don't mean to rain on your parade. Hope to see you back and posting soon.

REPS
09-01-2005, 10:46 PM
My wife once helped me make these protein pancakes they were not too bad.
Yes to lift when your body says no is tough. For me I know its a sign that I am either sick or getting sick. Most times I just push through it but sometimes I decide to rest.

mickyjune26
09-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. My lifts are still going pretty strong. I went up in bench and back. I went slower on all my back reps, focusing on form again and so all the sets went down by one rep.

I'll be out until Tuesday. I'm lucky enough to live within a day's drive to Louisiana. When I'm back, I'm goinng to start a new routine for 6 weeks. I may do HITT.

Thanks again for the encouragement. i'm OUT!

D Breyer
09-04-2005, 08:07 AM
hey man keep at it and dont let that one bad session take you down, just forget about it and get a good leg session in next time!

great job on the new found bench/back strength, does going slower help you much? i heard somewhere that going slow on the bench press is extremely hard on your RC because your RC isn't meant to move so slowly...

mickyjune26
08-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Back at it again. The key is to not permanantly quit. I want to make this a lifestyle, not a one-time goal.

dblockspky
08-22-2006, 05:35 PM
jeez you're ****in tall lol. i wish I had that height. good luck with all your goals man

mickyjune26
08-23-2006, 10:13 AM
yeah, that would be pretty crazy. I figure I'll be big enough once I hit 215-220 range, with 9% bf.

I'm at 192, currently. I have gained 3 - 4 pounds just from eating right again and lifting for the last few weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement! We're going to see some great gains in strength these next 8 weeks.

Stumprrp
08-23-2006, 10:42 AM
crazy tall!! lol, bulkin to like 300 lbs right? :D good luck!

mickyjune26
08-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Tell you what, it took a lot of work growing this tall.

I ate rocks and dirt every morning with my wheaties. Try it out. It'll do it for ya.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm on week 3, and my lifts are up about 20%.

Here are the stats for this week:
Squats
0 - 12
45 - 8
95 - 12
135 - 7
135 - 4
Leg Press
180 - 8
180 - 8
180 - 8
SLDL
45 - 8
45 - 8
Sitting Calf Raise
90 - 10
90 - 8
90 - 8
BB Bench
45 - 12
95 - 6
135 - 8
155 - 4
Wide Chest
180 - 4
230 - 4
BB Incline
50 - 4
Butterfly
25s - 7
Dips
0 - 7
Skull Crushers
5 - 7
Sitting Cable Row
3 - 12
6 - 8
10 - 7
11 - 3

Wide Pulldown
4 - 12
8 - 10
Wide Pull-ups (negs)
0 - 2
Bent Over Double BB Row
45s - 12
BB Curl
65 - 10
DB Conc Curl
25s - 4

That was a long workout. J/K, it was three seperate days.

The next 6 weeks are going to be fun with a lot of PRs. Well, PRs this round of exercising.

mickyjune26
09-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Going to lift. Did legs the other day and jumped in weights! ROCK!

mickyjune26
09-12-2006, 05:17 PM
9 - 11
Squats
45 - 10
95 - 12
135 - 12
155 - 8
175 - 4
Leg Press
270 - 8

SLDL
95 - 10
135 - 8
Sitting Calf Raise
135 - 12
170 - 8

* 9 - 12
BB Bench
45 - 12
95 - 10
135 - 8
155 - 6
155 - 3
Wide Chest
180 - 5
270 - 4
DB incline
50 - 4
Butterfly
25 - 7
Dips
0 - 6
Skull Crushers
50 - 9

went up in legs a lot. Mostly because of increased coordination. Chest went up a little.

mickyjune26
09-14-2006, 05:43 PM
4 of 4 workout. I really worked out my forearms.
Bent Over double BB Row
45 - 12
95 - 9
115 - 7
135 - 5

Wide Pulldown
80 - 8
100 - 3
Bent over DB Row
50 - 8
60 - 5

BB Curl
75 - 6
DB Conc Curl
25 - 5
Seat BB Mil Press
45 - 12
65 - 7
85 - 10
105 - 4
105 - 1
Arnold Press
35 - 6
25 - 3
Wide DB Press
10 - 10
20 - 4
Should DB Raise
10 - 12
Crunch
0 - 8
10 - 4
0 - 1
-10 - 3
BB Shrugs
135 - 10
Farmer Walk
8-step pace
70s - 7
80s - 4

I'm going to workout my legs tomorrow. I'm only skipping a rest day because I'll be traveling all next week, and may be missing some good workouts.

Today was the best workout and diet so far.

mickyjune26
09-14-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm already at 3,600 calories for the day, but i'm still hungry.

Screw it. I'm eating.

mmmm......beeeeeef.....

mickyjune26
09-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Man, I'm hungry again. I better go to bed. Tomorrow is leg day. I'm going to switch it up with Squats, Good Mornings, and Deadlifts.

mickyjune26
09-14-2006, 09:04 PM
NEW ROUTINE!!!
I want to do the basic, hard routines.

3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off routine.
Example:
Everything is 5 x 5, maxing on last set.

mon - LEGS: squats, deads, and good mornings
tues - PUSH?: Bench, tri's, mil press
wed - PULL?: BB Row, DB Row, Bi's
thurs - off
Fri - LEGS
Sat - PUSH
Sun - off
Mon - PULL
Tues - LEGS
Wed - PUSH
Thurs - Off
Fri - PULL
Sat - LEGS
etc..

Point - I want to try to work out each body part 2x/week. I want to give legs their own day. I recover pretty well and won't get burnt out, so this should be a good routine.

I can feel myself getting that sick, wornout feeling at the end of the workout. I love that feeling.

Man, i'm hungry.

mickyjune26
09-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Today will be push, doing 5 x 5 with the big exercises and 3 x 5 with the smaller muscles.

BB Bench - 5 x 5
Include Bench - 3 x 5
BB Mil Press - 5 x 5
Skull Crushers - 3 x 5

I'm going to do some research to get some ideas for push day.

Don Birnam
09-16-2006, 12:40 PM
What's up guy, you might remember me from a while back. Good to see the lifting's going well. I haven't been around WBB much but I really should spend some more time here. I've been eating and lifting a lot, I'm up to 225 (though I'm fairly soft in the midsection, maybe 15-16% BF, definitely not ripped). I'd always thought that 225 and ripped would be my ideal physique but I'm coming to realize it might actually end up at 230ish. Anyways. Won't have to worry about that anytime soon haha. For now I'm just focusing on hitting the gym 3 times a week and eating like a pro and hopefully the muscle will come.

Glad to see you're filling out the journal every day and you seem to be diligent in the gym and the kitchen- that's the only way to beat the muscle game. (So they tell me... I'll let you know when I actually get big haha). Best of luck bro.

mickyjune26
09-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Don, it's good to hear from you again. Congrats on getting up to 225, even if it is a little soft in the middle. I can understand the 225 going to 230 concept. Turns out that tall guys need to range between 230-250 to look "ripped".

I missed out on about 8 - 9 months of lifting, so I went back down to 185.

I've been lifting correctly and eating right, and I've gotten up to 198 in about 4 - 5 weeks. I feel comfortable in getting up to 225 by the year's end. Once there, I'll reevaluate to see if I'd like to really tear it up and hit 250. That would be fun (1,000 pounds of oatmeal later).

Keep in touch, and let me know how your progress is coming.

mickyjune26
09-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Postings for yesturday's and today's lifts. I sure am gaining my strength back quickly, at a lower body weight this time. The Halloween bench goal will be beat, for sure. We'll have to see how my knees do in reference to my squat.

9 - 15
Squats
95 - 5
145 - 5
165 - 5
165 - 4
165 - 5
Dead lifts
95 - 6
115 - 6
135 - 5
155 - 4
155 - 1
DB Lunge
35s - 5
Sitting Calf Raise
135 - 10
135 - 10Q
170 - 4
170 - 5Q
9 - 16
BB Bench
115 - 5
135 - 5
155 - 5
165 - 4
170 - 2
BB incline, mid grip
135 - 5
155 - 3
155 - 3
BB Mil Press
65 - 6
65 - 6
65 - 5
BB Shrugs
135 - 6
Farmer's Walk
8-step, back and forth
80s - 5x
80s - 4x

mickyjune26
09-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Went up significantly in BB rows. I'm traveling to Pittsburg for work, and I left my stats at home.

I'll get home Tuesday night and drive straight to the gym.

mickyjune26
09-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Sweet. My girl is going to bring my clothes and meet me at the gym on Tuesday, so I'll only have a 1 1/2 day break from lifting. I'll also see if I can lift the next day. Staying overnight at Pittsburg, Harrisburg, and Richmond, I should be able to lift between each trip.

Moral of the story - if you want to lift, you'll find the time.

Nik00117
09-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Have you considered seperating your gym days 1 day apart each?

mickyjune26
09-19-2006, 05:39 PM
What do you think about this routine?
all 5 x 5
M - Legs (squat, deads, lunges - 3x5)
T - Chest (bench, incline bench - 3x5), shoulders (mil press), farmer walk
W - Back (bb row, lat pull-down), Abs
Th - rest
Repeat
they are short and heavy workouts, 2x per week.

I thought I'd do the above routine until I plateau, which I suspect would happen in 4 - 6 months.

Munky
09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't know about that routine but have you heard anything about a routine call Riptoe? I have been hearing great things about it and I myself just started doing it and like it so far. If your interested here's the details. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752&highlight=mark+riptoe%27s

jkirkpatrick
09-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey GG,

Your routine looks good, but I think you'll burn out before you hit four months. That's some serious taxing CNS work you've got there. Maybe Monday, off, Tuesday, Wednesday, off, off, repeat? That sounds like a better approach to me.

I'd ditch the farmer's walks. I think that you'll find that heavy barbell rows and SLDL/deads will tax your forearms plenty.

Speaking of deads, maybe one week do SLDL and the next week do deads? Deads are really taxing. I'm alternating them and I like this approach best.

I've tried deads on back day, but like you, I've doing deads on leg day. With my joints, I feel much better after my lower body is warmed up from doing squats and SLDL before I hit deads (on these days, the squats and SLDL are just "fancy" warmups before I do deads).

Anyways, I'll check out your journal from time to time. Good luck.

Ho ho ho...GG (nice avatar!)

mickyjune26
09-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Munky - I like where this workout is going. I've been noticing more strength growth when I do fewer exercises per bodypart, 5 or less reps and more weights. I think it's great the routine you mentioned only includes the heavy lifts - squats, bench, mil press, etc.

Jjkirkpatrick - I understand where you are coming from, and I'll be sure to not burn out. How else am I going to catch up with you? ;)
Also, switching from 8-10 reps to 5 reps has done wonders for my strength, and I'm growing like crazy, adding on 15 pounds in the last 6 weeks.

Routine - Decent back day 4 days ago. Shoulds and back today, because I'm traveling tomorrow.

YESTURDAY ROCKED!!
Man, I had an awesome leg day. My squats felt GREAT, and because I added another warmup set, I didn't feel stressed. It was an awesome feeling taking 175 off the rack and thinking, "This doesn't feel that much different from 155."
Bumping up my heavy bar lifts by just 20 lbs at a time tricks my mind into thinking that it's not that much more heavy. I'm going to break my Halloween goals for sure.

CORN SUGAR IS THE BOMB!
I made a shake with ON Protein and 5 - 7 TBS of Corn Sugar. That stuff was freakin sweet. I think I got a few cavities already from that shake. Regardless, I took a swig before my last leg exercise, calf raises. About 60 seconds after the sugar shot, all my fatigue was gone, I was full of energy and could feel my muscles screaming for more.

I knew i had to keep going, so I repped out my BB bench and Incline BB Bench, breaking records on the BB Bench. I'm 15 pounds away from my Halloween goals.

While I was waiting between sets, I continued to take shots of my corn sugar shake. Each time, it would send energy through my body for the next set. I couldn't sit still, so I stood between sets, my hands shaking and my whole body screaming for something to do.

That is the most energy I have ever had during a workout. Praise God, Allah, and Iowans for CORN SUGAR!

Oops, there goes my pancreas.

Back (4 days ago)
17-SepBB Row
95-5
115-5
135-5
135-3
135-2
Lat Pull-down
80-5
100-5
120-5
140-2
BB Curl
85-5
90-1
Weighted Crunch
0-5
0-5
10-5

9-20
Squats
95-5
115-5
135-5
155-4
175-5
195-3
Dead lifts
95-5
115-5
135-5
155-5
165-1
DB Lunge(knees too weak)
35s-5
Seated Leg Curl
90-5
110-3
ENTER THE CORN SUGAR.....
Sitting Calf Raise
135-9
180-5
9-20
BB Bench
115-5
135-5
155-5
175-31
85-1
BB incline, mid grip
135-5
155-3

CORN SUGAR!

mickyjune26
09-21-2006, 07:47 PM
BB Mil Press
65 - 5
85 - 5
105 - 4
BB Shrugs
135 - 5
185 - 5
225 - 1
Farmer's Walk
8-step, back and forth
90s - 5
90s - 2

21-Sep
BB Row 95 - 5
115 - 5
125 - 5
135 - 5
145 - 3
Lat Pull-down
90 - 5
110 - 5
130 - 4
140 - 1
BB Curl
85 - 5
95 - 2
Weighted Crunch
0 - 5
5 - 5
5 - 2

mickyjune26
09-23-2006, 01:56 PM
I had 4 hours down-time in Richmond, so the hotel was nice enough to shuttle me to the nearest gym. It was a better gym than mine. It felt more like a hard-core lifters' gym.

Bumped up all my lifts by about 10 pounds.

Hit my Halloween bench goals already. Now I need to come up with a new bench goal.

9 - 20
Squats
115 - 5
145 - 5
165 - 5
185 - 5
205 - 3

Dead lifts
105 - 5
125 - 5
145 - 5
165 - 5
185 - 5
195 - 3

Sitting Calf Raise
135 - 5
180 - 5
180 - 5/15Q

same workout
BB Bench
125 - 5
145 - 5
165 - 5
185 - 3
205 - 1

mickyjune26
09-23-2006, 03:22 PM
come on legs. You can do it. Some day my legs will be stronger than my chest.

I'm going to bump up my leg workout by 10 pounds each week and my chest by 5 pounds each. This better straighten this craziness out.

LET'S KICK IT UP!!

mickyjune26
09-23-2006, 04:55 PM
formatting probs.

mickyjune26
09-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Current Weight 200 250
Weight in Kg 91 114
Body Fat 15% 10%
Body fat weight 14 11
Lean Body Mass 77 102

Resting Metobolic Rate (RMR = kg LBM * 22 + 500) 2200 2750

RMR, including activity ( = RMR * 1.5) 3300 4125
45 min weightlifting ( = LBM kg * 4) 309 409
Digestic food (Thermic effects) ( = RMR * 10%) 220 275

Total 3829 4809

I just recalculated my calorie requirements using the guidelines in the following article:
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=177
I also estimated what it would be like when I'm 250 pounds, with 10% bf.

mickyjune26
09-23-2006, 05:41 PM
After reading the article below, I should be following a 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat diet.

Also, I will be eating protein/carbs for 3 meals and protein/fat for the other 3. The protein/carbs meals will be breakfast, before lifting, and after lifting.

mickyjune26
09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
BB Row jumped up a lot. Shoulders up a little and curls up 10 pounds. Things are looking good, and legs are tomorrow.

9 - 25
BB Row
95 - 5
115 - 5
135 - 5
155 - 5
165 - 2
Lat Pull-down
90 - 5
110 - 5
130 - 4
140 - 1
BB Mil Press
65 - 5
85 - 5
105 - 4
BB Curl
85 - 5
95 - 2
BB Shrugs
135 - 5
185 - 5
225 - 1
Farmer's Walk
8-step, back and forth
90s - 5
90s - 2

Weighted Crunch
0 - 5
5 - 5
5 - 4

mickyjune26
09-26-2006, 11:37 AM
I've noticed that there has been more squat posts lately than usual.

In the spirit of things, I am going to make sure I am going below parallel on my squats today. My numbers may suffer because of that, but I take comfort in knowing that I'm doing the harder style squats.

WBBIRL
09-26-2006, 12:41 PM
No reason to go past parallel other then if you personally like it, I have yet to do a squat past parallel.

Lets see some big weights there sky scraper!!! Eat like its your job and your gunning for a promotion.

mickyjune26
09-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Did Full Squats (past parallel), and I loved them. They didn't bother my knees as much, and I felt like it was a better workout. Of course, my numbers went down, because it was a deeper squat.

WBBIRL - what are your thoughts on this article, which recommends going past parallel?
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=276

Stats - all are down a little, because I was getting sick, my diet was off by about 30% and I have been overtraining. Starting Friday, I'm going to a fullbody workout 3x week, with a rest day between each day.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=146

9-26Full Squats95-5135-5155-5175-3185-1Dead lifts115-5135-5155-5175-3Sitting Calf Raise135-5180-5/10qBB Bench125-5145-5165-5185-1

mickyjune26
09-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm tired of working. I'm going to the gym.

My first full-body workout. My routine has been growing into this. I've been getting tired of the single lifts, and only want to do the heavy bb-compound lifts.

I guess that's a good thing. I'll post the numbers when I get back.

Munky
09-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Just keep it going man, don't let yourself stop!

mickyjune26
09-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Okay, I'm trying my new workout. I've finished Day 1 of 3. Can't wait to heavy day this Monday:

Week of 9-26Day 1 - 1 rep from failure. 2 sets of each.Day 2 - No fatigue, just enough weight for increased blood flow.Day 3 - Lift to failure on the 2nd set.Dead lifts - 205 maxDay 1145-8Day 2115-15Day 3195-3Full Squats - 205 maxDay 1155-8Day 2115-15Day 3195-3BB Row - 175 maxDay 1135-8Day 295-15Day 3165-3BB Bench - 205 maxDay 1155-8Day 2115-15Day 3195-3BB Mil Press - 120 maxDay 195-8Day 265-15Day 3115-3Sitting Calf Raise - 210 maxDay 1160-8Day 2135-15Day 3200-3Weighted Ab Crunch - 20 maxDay 110-8Day 20-15Day 320-3

mickyjune26
09-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Week of 9-26
Day 1 - 1 rep from failure. 2 sets of each.
Day 2 - No fatigue, just enough weight for increased blood flow.
Day 3 - Lift to failure on the 2nd set.
Dead lifts - 205 max
Day 1
145 - 8
Day 2
115 - 15
Day 3
195 - 3

Full Squats - 205 max
Day 1
155 - 8
Day 2
115 - 15
Day 3
195 - 3

BB Row - 175 max
Day 1
135 - 8
Day 2
95 - 15
Day 3
165 - 3

BB Bench - 205 max
Day 1
155 - 8
Day 2
115 - 15
Day 3
195 - 3

BB Mil Press - 120 max
Day 1
95 - 8
Day 2
65 - 15
Day 3
115 - 3

Sitting Calf Raise - 210 max
Day 1
160 - 8
Day 2
135 - 15
Day 3
200 - 3

Weighted Ab Crunch - 20 max
Day 1
10 - 8
Day 2
0 - 15
Day 3
20 - 3

mickyjune26
09-28-2006, 04:01 PM
...still trying to figure out this WYSIWIG tool

mickyjune26
09-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Today was the high-rep day. Man, it was a pretty tough workout, because my lungs haven't been worked for a long time.

All the numbers went as planned, except for squat. Deads pre-exhausted my legs, so I cut it down to 95 lbs.

I felt sick during the whole workout, because (a) i didn't eat enough carbs before the workout (b) i didn't drink enough water prior to the workout and (c) i wasn't used to 2 sets of 15-reps for all the big exercises, all in one workout.

I'm looking forward to Monday, where I get to test my max lifts. 2 sets of 3 for all exercises!

fury
09-30-2006, 05:45 PM
yo mikckyjune im juss wonderin how much u weighted wen u started n how much u weight now, and wat supplements you're takin, cuz im round ur heite at 6'8 and im tryin to start a bulkin phrase and i wanna kno wat worked for u, cuz we're prolly similar build n stuff..im 18 years old, basketball player, 6'8 195 lbs...anyways get bak at me

jkirkpatrick
09-30-2006, 06:23 PM
GG, high rep workouts definitely have their place! I challenge you to try 3 sets of 20 rep squats when you feel capable and ready. That is a great feeling and accomplishment when you nail it.

I wouldn't do high rep deads just because the form can go to crap so quickly and you're liable to tweak your back. I'd stick in 6-8 reps at the max.

mickyjune26
10-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Jkirk,
I agree. Those high reps killed me!I will take your advice with the deads, because I started to notice my back bending on around the 13th rep.

I cheated a little on my diet today, eating some mac and cheese, a handful of bite-sized heath nuggets, and some chips with ranch sour cream.

Tomorrow is 2 set, 3-rep day. This will be the first low-rep day, so I'll havev to be sure to warm up to not hurt myself.

McIrish
10-02-2006, 06:00 AM
geez, 6'7''... i'm jealous. anyhow, awesome work on the squats lately. i think they'll overtake your bench pretty soon, especially because your plateau for bench is likely way lower than for squats, im guessing.

mickyjune26
10-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Fury,
If you are just starting, read through the supplement articles in my sig. As for lifting, I recommend the current workout. If you plateau or get burnt out, do not quit! Just ask me for another routine to try. Keep going and you will gain weight. When I start bulking the first time, I went from 178 to 188. The second time i went from 188 to 215, though 15 pounds was fat.

This time, I want to get up to 250 in about a 2-year period. I'm going for long-term success, not a quick fix. It is more important to live a lifestyle, than to try to reach a quick, short-term goal that won't last.

McIrish, thanks for the booster. Let's hope my chest plateaus before my legs. I don't want to look like I'm going to topple over at the slightest breeze.

TIMBERRRRRRRRRR!!!!
hohoho.

Also - The other day a dude at church said for my size, he would think that I could bench more than 205. :)
I love that my routine only uses the BB (except sitting calf raises). It makes me feel like a real lifter, especially when I'm doing full squats, all the way to the floor.

That being said, I should make sure I don't compare myself to others. It's not a race! It's only a game i play with myself.

mickyjune26
10-02-2006, 11:23 AM
ps - McIrish - you can dunk it if you keep working it!!! Who's the shortest NBA dunker????

fury
10-02-2006, 05:24 PM
spudd webb at 5'6 is the shortest nba dunker, and he won nba dunk off:strong:

mickyjune26
10-04-2006, 08:18 AM
fury - cool.

My heavy day went well. I did 2 sets of 3 for each major lift. The high-rep day is still the hardest. My deadlift is now up to 225, breaking my bench.
My squat is around 185, because it follows deads and also because i'm going past parallel. Bench is now maxed at 215.

Here is my lift routine for next week (i'll be taking the rest of this week off for vacation). All my heavy lifts are bumped up by 5lbs.
Week of 9-9Day 1 - 1 rep from failure. 2 sets of each.Day 2 - No fatigue, just enough weight for increased blood flow.Day 3 - Lift to failure on the 2nd set.Dead lifts - 235 maxDay 1155-8Day 2120-15Day 3225-3Full Squats - 205 maxDay 1165-8Day 2100-15Day 3195-3BB Bench - 215 maxDay 1160-8Day 2120-15Day 3200-3BB Row - 180 maxDay 1140-8Day 2100-15Day 3170-3BB Mil Press - 125 maxDay 1100-8Day 270-15Day 3120-3Sitting Calf Raise - 210 maxDay 1165-8Day 2Day 3200-3Weighted Ab Crunch - 20 maxDay 110-8Day 2Day 320-3

mickyjune26
10-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Fixed it....

Week of 9-9
Dead lifts - 235 max
Day 1
155 - 8
Day 2
120 - 15
Day 3
225 - 3

Full Squats - 205 max
Day 1
165 - 8
Day 2
100 - 15
Day 3
195 - 3

BB Bench - 215 max
Day 1
160 - 8
Day 2
120 - 15
Day 3
200 - 3

BB Row - 180 max
Day 1
140 - 8
Day 2
100 - 15
Day 3
170 - 3

BB Mil Press - 125 max
Day 1
100 - 8
Day 2
70 - 15
Day 3
120 - 3

Sitting Calf Raise - 210 max
Day 1
165 - 8
Day 2

Day 3
200 - 3

Weighted Ab Crunch - 20 max
Day 1
10 - 8
Day 2

Day 3
20 - 3

mickyjune26
10-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm on a short vacation in Utah. My youngest older sister is getting married to a really good guy.

I've been able to ingest 20 - 30 g protein and 30 - 60 g carbs every 2 - 3 hours. I bought some meal replacement bars to help me stay consistant. When traveling, it's hard to keep on the diet, and it's really easy to go 7 hours w i thout eating....

Can't wait to lift on Monday!!!

ViciousBish
10-08-2006, 07:04 AM
congratulations to your sister!!

I'm glad to see you're looking forward to your workouts!!! Rock on!

jkirkpatrick
10-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Jkirk,
I agree. Those high reps killed me!

Okay, I just killed myself today. 3 x 20 on squats. Your turn is next. :windup:

Congrats to your sister!

mickyjune26
10-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Vicious,
Thanks man. On the days that I eat right, I get really pumped to go lift.

Jkirk,
Congrats man. Gottta do those days. Today is 8-rep. Wednesday will be 15s. Friday will be 3s. This is a fun workout with a lot of variation.

Tried to stick to my diet as much as possible during my 6-day leave. Man, those bars give you gas.

I bought a bodybuilding magazine, so I could have something to laugh at during the plane ride. It's called "Reps". It's actually not too bad. They seperate beg, int, and advanced routines. They also stress the importance of eating right. downside - They are filled with a bunch of 4-page ads that disguise themselves as articles and repetively promise 30 pounds of muscle in 4 weeks.
I can get a lot more useful info from WBB.

mickyjune26
10-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Did my 8-rep day and hit all my numbers except for my 2nd set of mil presses.

I was really winded the entire workout, even to the point that I almost felt nautious. I suspect I didn't drink enough water that day, and I also should have eaten some simple fast-absorbing carbs about 30 minutes before the workout. I did, however, eat some complex carbs about 2 hours prior.

Though I hit all my numbers, I was pretty annoyed that I was so tired and weak-feeling.

fury
10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Did my 8-rep day and hit all my numbers except for my 2nd set of mil presses.

I was really winded the entire workout, even to the point that I almost felt nautious. I suspect I didn't drink enough water that day, and I also should have eaten some simple fast-absorbing carbs about 30 minutes before the workout. I did, however, eat some complex carbs about 2 hours prior.

Though I hit all my numbers, I was pretty annoyed that I was so tired and weak-feeling.

for sum reason i was also feelin naetous yesterday and previous week while doin squats...:withstupi
i wonder y

mickyjune26
10-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Did my 15-rep, 2 sets day. I didn't have much time, so i ran to the gym. My heart was beating pretty hard, and it never slowed down through my deads, squats or bench.

After the bench, I starting to feel nauseous.

I don't think i drank enough water before the workout. I woke up, ate oatmeal, 1 serving protein powder, and only drank 1 glass of water. I tried to cram the water in during the workout, but i'm sure that played havoc on my lifts.

I walked home like a zombie, and crashed on my bed after forcing myself to drink another glass of water.

Man, that sucks a lot.

Tomorrow is Max Day! I can't wait. I'm going to keep doing single-rep lifts to see where my max is on all my lifts.

jkirkpatrick
10-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Survey says? We are waiting.

mickyjune26
10-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Jkirkpatrick, lol. Thanks for waiting...

and drumroll....new PRs all the way

Deads - 245
Full squats (past parallel) - 235
Bench 205 - (I've been accidentally wearing them out on other activities on my off days. I'm sure my max will be up more in a few weeks).
BB Rows - 165
BB Mil press - 115

This week's planning will be posted in a sec. I may hit my Halloween goals yet!

mickyjune26
10-15-2006, 10:58 PM
I upped all my maxes. This week is going to be hard....
Week of 10-16
Dead lifts - max 245
Day 1 - 70%
171.5 - 8
Day 2 - 50%
122.5 - 15
Day 3 - 90%
220.5 - 3

Full Squats - max 235
Day 1 - 70%
164.5 - 8
Day 2 - 50%
117.5 - 15
Day 3 - 90%
211.5 - 3

BB Bench - max 205
Day 1 - 70%
143.5 - 8
Day 2 - 50%
102.5 - 15
Day 3 - 90%
184.5 - 3

BB Row - max 175
Day 1 - 70%
122.5 - 8
Day 2 - 50%
87.5 - 15
Day 3 - 90%
157.5 - 3

BB Mil Press - max 120
Day 1 - 70%
84 - 8
Day 2 - 50%
60 - 15
Day 3 - 90%
108 - 3

Sitting Calf Raise - max 210
Day 1 - 70%
147 - 8
Day 2 - 50%
105 - 15
Day 3 - 90%
189 - 3

Weighted Ab Crunch - max 20
Day 1 - 70%
14 - 8
Day 2 - 50%
10 - 15
Day 3 - 90%
18 - 3

mickyjune26
10-25-2006, 07:37 AM
I took a week off and indulged in some partying activities. :alcoholic
I was pretty upset at doing so, because I'm sure my lifting suffered. I've been back and forth on drinking for the last 3 - 4 years. I threw away the last of the beers today. This is the first time I haven't used the excuse, "I'll stop once I'm out of beers."

It felt really good.

Now I'm back on the wagon again and have switched to a 5 x 5 routine. I'm doing a 2-day split, with 1 day off each time and never lifting on Sunday. Last time I did this split, my gains were pretty nice.

Oct 22nd
Deads
185 x 5,5,5,5,5
BB Row
125 x 5,5,5,5,5
DB Mil Press
100 x 5,5,5,5,4

Oct 23rd
Squats
205 x 5,3,3,3,3
BB Bench
185 x 5,3,2,2,2
Dips
0 x 4,3,3

Today is deads day again. I'm eating right and really looking forward to it.

Unreal
10-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Solid work in here. Keep it up.

jkirkpatrick
10-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Cool news on the 5 x 5. I've got Starr's spreadsheet downloaded and all setup for my new routine, once my finger is better. Keep your workouts posted so we can follow your progress!

mickyjune26
10-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Unreal, thanks for the encouragement!
Jkirk, I look forward to seeing your progress after the finger biz. I broke my pinky on a nerf football back in middle school. A few years later, I cut my finger on a Cutco filet knife. Never saw blood shoot so high. Get well soon, bud.

Hit all my 5 x 5s today. My deadlifts are getting stronger each session! I'll have to bump it up next week.

Oct 25th
Deads
205 x 5,5,5,5,5
BB Row
135 x 5,5,5,5,5
DB Mil Press
100 x 5,5,5,5,5

Tomorrow is Squat, bench, dip day. I'll be traveling up and down the east coast for work for the next few days, so now I'm gonna hop onto google and find some gyms on the road.

Never miss a lift!

jkirkpatrick
10-26-2006, 07:44 AM
GJ on those PRs! How long are you going to stick to the 5 x 5 approach?

mickyjune26
10-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks Jkirk,
I'll stick to 5 x 5 until the end of the year. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's simple. It's heavy. ...and I've noticed that I've been looking bigger.

In Jan, I may switch to 3 x 8-10 for a month or two.

Any special reason for you asking?

Side - note. Last night, after my Deads day, I was really hungry, so I ate 2 cups of brown rice and 5 meatballs (for reward). I was still hungry, so I ate 4 whole wheat pieces of bread and some braunschweigger (a childhood nostalgia thing...it actually isn't that good...it think). Then I ate a cup of apple crisp with a cup of ice cream.

Man, that night, I tossed and turned and was soooo thirsty, drinking 4 glasses of water. Once the water hit the food...BAM!!! It expanded and my stomach bulged out like I had swalled a small child. I bet I weighed 10 pounds more than usual.

This morning, I have a headache, because despite my 4 glasses of water, my body still need more water to balance out all that freakin sodium I ate. I'm sitting here, with a bowl of my favorite eggs and another bowl of oatmeal with berries. They are looking at me, taunting me, tempting me to eat them.

I can't....man....i'm......so......full......

I'm gonna get ready for my trip, leave in 30 min, and eat the two bowls of food on the road.

Food hangovers suck. I used to get them a lot when I had the munchies in college. I guess with lifting, the munchies are back. Gotta eat smarter in the future....with less...less....lesssssssss sodium.

Vita
10-26-2006, 09:14 AM
good job with the PRs!!!

i love to see people using the 5x5, just love it!

just wanted to also note that you've made HUGE progress on the rows. good work!

jkirkpatrick
10-26-2006, 10:09 AM
No real reason, nope. I hope that I can stick to the 5 x 5 program until the end of the year as well. I'll have to see how my joints hold up, though.

How long are you resting between sets and how long is a typical workout?

mickyjune26
10-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks Vita! If this keeps up too much longer, my rows will bypass the bench, lol.

Jkirk, during squats and bench I wait a little too long, between 3 - 4 minutes. During other exercises, it's usually 2 -3 minutes. Each 5 x 5 set grouping takes about 15 minutes to workout.

Routine:
Day 1 = Deads, rows, millies
Day 2 = Squat, bench
Day 3 = rest
Day 4 = deads, rows, millies
Day 5 = rest
Day 6 = squat bench
Day 7 = rest
Day 8 = repeat

Today's stats:
Oct 26th
Squats - felt stronger this time. Doing them in the box so I can go to failure and take my time lifting it.
205 x 5,3,3,3,3
BB Bench - forearms weak from yesturday's deads
185 x 5, 165 x 5,5,3,2

I need to watch my diet more carefully. I had a headache the whole day, because of my food hangover.

I thought I have been stuck on my bench, because I hit 205 a 6 weeks back, and now I can't even do 185 x 5 x 5....but then I realized that when I hit 205, I repped 125 x 5, 145 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 3, and 205 x 1. 185 x 5, 165 x 5,5,3,2 beats these numbers any day.

Can't wait until I hit 195 x 5 x 5 on bench.

Gained 2 pounds since a few weeks back. Averaging about 1 pound every two weeks...gaining just a little more fat than desired, but not too much. I don't care much about weight, as long as I don't lose. I just want to get stronger.

Deads, here I come!!!

mickyjune26
10-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Diet is going well so far. It's pretty fun trying to keep on diet whilte traveling all over the place!

mickyjune26
10-28-2006, 02:21 PM
- I got 5 1/2 hours sleep last night
- I've been on my feet the whole day, at a conference for Boston Public Schools.
- I have eaten two meal replacement bars, a bowl of clam chowder, a shrimp burrito, and a banana.
- My flight from Boston to DC is delayed by an hour to 5:45, putting me in DC at 7:30. At this point, if i workout, I'll get home at 11:30 tonight.

I'm wondering if I should proceed as planned and find a gym, doing deads, bb rows, and millies. I really want to, but man, this is pushing it.......maybe I'll just go slow and see I how I feel.

One thing for sure....I'm sleeping on the plane.

mickyjune26
10-29-2006, 12:34 PM
After I landed and got into my car at DC, it was 8pm. I tried finding some gyms, stopping at two locations, but they were all closed.

Today, I ate at Denny's, made my workout shake and headed to the gym.

Deads - (after warmup and ramp-up), then, 225 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
BB Row - 155 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 4

I'm watching Ronnie Coleman: The Cost of the Redemption. It's pretty wicked.

My girlfriend and I are breaking up. I have been pretty sure that we aren't meant to get married, so I had to bring it up. It's hard for her, and I'm making sure to help her in any way she needs help.
She has decided to move to New Mexico to go to take advantage of their free nursing training program. They need a lot of nurses.

We aren't yet sure when she is moving, but I want to help with the flight and shipping her things.

This is the first time I have broken it off with a girl. As I get older, I'm learning what is really important to me in a relationship and another person.

Anyway, ripping it up one day at a time in the gym. I'm gonna go eat some chicken or something.

mickyjune26
11-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Deads are steadily moving up. Today, I dropped off my girlfriend at the airport. She's flying to New Mexico to become a nurse. I guess this means she's not my girl anymore.

It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. Right when we pulled off the interstate to go to the Philly airport, our song started playing on the radio. I'm man enough to let you all know that some tears came to my eyes.

My heart aches now, but I KNOW that it's better for me to not be with her.

Anyway, I'm going to go do deads and get my mind off things.

Oct 31st
Deads
225 x 5,5,5,5,5
BB Row
155 x 5,4,4,4,4

Oct 26th
Squats
45 x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 4, 165 x 3, 205 x 5,4,4,4,3, 225 x 1
BB Bench
45 x 12, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 3, 175 x 5, 5, 5, 3, 2