PDA

View Full Version : good fats?

lex
06-03-2004, 06:39 PM
many people have peanut butter and mixed nuts on their diets..they have alot of fat though, are these good? and what is too much of these fats?

Augury
06-03-2004, 06:57 PM
get 30% of your total daily calories from fat. you need fat.

in that 30% make sure most of it is monounsaturated fat. read the packets/bottles/jars. if they dont say look it up on the net.

Im currently eating 40g of fat a day (im cutting hard - so low total calories) and i eat about 25g of mono, 5g of saturated and 10 polyunsat. avoid trans fatty like the plague. baaad.

lex
06-03-2004, 07:10 PM
if im bulking,how many grams do u think are good..about how many grams of fat are in "mixed nuts"..this thing says 70 but i dont believe it..plz respond thnx

Augury
06-03-2004, 07:33 PM
if im bulking,how many grams do u think are good..about how many grams of fat are in "mixed nuts"..this thing says 70 but i dont believe it..plz respond thnx

need your weight.
bulking i think is eat 18cals/lb of bodyweight. i might have that wrong.

so if you weighed 160lbs then you would need to eat 18x160=2880 cals per day.

if you get 30% of your cals from fat 9thats about right for a bulk) then you owuld need to be eating about 96g of fat per day. no more than 20g of those from saturated fats. olive oil is your friend.

ive no idea how many grams of fat are in a packet of mixed nuts becasue it depends on how big the packet is.

Augs

Vido
06-03-2004, 11:42 PM
many people have peanut butter and mixed nuts on their diets..they have alot of fat though, are these good? and what is too much of these fats?

Yes, the fat in NATURAL peanut butter (don't buy the regular crap) and nuts is good for you.

You are only eating too much fat if it puts you over your daily calorie totals, otherwise the more the merrier.

TheGimp
06-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Other good sources of healthy fats include: fish oil and flaxseed oil (for essential fatty acids), olive oil, avocados, fish.

Bboy486
06-04-2004, 09:24 AM
also look into Flaxseed oil. I throw it into my shake, its a great EFA.
you can get it in liquid or pill form.

TheGimp
06-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Fish oil would be a far superior alternative to flaxseed.

The EFAs in flax are in the form of ALA/LA which needs to be converted to EPA/DHA, a very inefficient process. Fish oil is already in the form of EPA/DHA.

Bboy486
06-04-2004, 09:51 AM
TheGimp, You have said that before, however, I asked a few trainers and none of them agree on that... would you happen to have an article or site that is reputable and could back that fact up, just so I can confirm your statement.

Holto
06-04-2004, 10:40 AM
in reality if people couldnt convert ALA -> DHA,EPA they wouldnt have brains in there heads or eyes in their sockets

DHA is only available in breats milk and fish

there are large percentages of our population that haven't had either in ten years

geoffgarcia
06-04-2004, 11:06 AM
DHA is only available in breats milk and fish

I love my breats!!!
its also in Hemp oil and a few other sources

Bboy486, I'm sorry I dont have the links to the studies, but I've read this point several times over....I'd tend to listen to the people on these boards more than a trainer. Trainers spend 8 hours in the gym talking the talk, people on these boards spend a few hours searching google walkin the walk to look up this kinda data....its there

TheGimp
06-04-2004, 11:30 AM
It's also in algae. That's where the fish get it from.

And for Bboy486

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9637947

Can adults adequately convert alpha-linolenic acid (18:3n-3) to eicosapentaenoic acid (20:5n-3) and docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3)?
The parent fatty acid ALA (18:3n-3), found in vegetable oils such as flaxseed or rapeseed oil, is used by the human organism partly as a source of energy, partly as a precursor of the metabolites, but the degree of conversion appears to be unreliable and restricted. More specifically, most studies in humans have shown that whereas a certain, though restricted, conversion of high doses of ALA to EPA occurs, conversion to DHA is severely restricted. The use of ALA labelled with radioisotopes suggested that with a background diet high in saturated fat conversion to long-chain metabolites is approximately 6% for EPA and 3.8% for DHA.

Bboy486
06-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Thank You sir

JTyrell710
06-04-2004, 12:05 PM
i just want to tag on that peanutbutter and hotwing sauce is delicious- terrible

i am eating natural pnut butter right now, but whats wrong with the regular skippy stuff, i have some honey nut skippy right here- i kno it has hydrogenated oil abut how much does it have and how bad is that stuff for ya?

Holto
06-04-2004, 04:49 PM
hemp oil and DHA (algae sourced) are available as supps

I'm just speaking epidemiologically about average people

unless your sucking on titties, or taking supps or eating fish on a daily basis you aren't getting enough DHA

we must get it from ALA else how do we have rods & cones in our eyes, myelin sheath's etc...

TheGimp
06-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Point taken Holto.

lex
06-05-2004, 10:35 AM
could i still get physically fat by eating natty PB?

Holto
06-05-2004, 11:11 AM
anything that has cals can make you fat

TheGimp
06-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories do.