PDA

View Full Version : milk as a workout drink

J.C.
06-04-2004, 02:14 PM
I might be being stupid, but wouldn't milk be the perfect workout drink when trying to gain weight?

It has the lactose for sugar, giving you energy during the workout and contains protein giving your body the nutrients you need for repair and growth. Calcium also aids muscle contraction allowing you to lift more. (this is why calcium and magnesium are normally the only minerals added to sports drinks like lucozade).

Any ideas? I heard some stories about vintage strongmen drinking milk during workouts, does anyone else do it? :idea: :strong:

KeMiKaL
06-04-2004, 02:18 PM
For some people it might upset your stomach when working out. Someone told me that the milk could curdle or something because your body temperature rises. I dunno if that's true though

J.C.
06-04-2004, 02:25 PM
I think I'm fairly tolerant to milk and dairy. I'd been trying to gain weight for ages and nothing had really helped that much so i got really determined and ate a lot more carbs because I do loads of cardio from sport and primarily drank at least five pints of milk a day. I swear the milk made the difference.

By the way I don't actually drink milk when lifting, (yet) it was just an idea.

JTyrell710
06-04-2004, 02:33 PM
drinking milk is a good idea, but not neces. when lifting- i think lactose isnt the greatest sugar for that need but im not sure

meltedtime
06-04-2004, 03:03 PM
I personally use milk but just for cereal and coffee in the morning. Research is starting to indicate that milk just might not be so good for you. Check out this website for a little negative info about milk. NotMilk (http://www.notmilk.com/) Read this article:Dr. Kradjian (http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html) to get an overview of the issues.

Milk and oreo's just won't be the same anymore.

melt

TheGimp
06-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Lactose is a disaccharide composed of 50% glucose and 50% galactose. Galactose preferentially refills liver glycogen which is not desired immediately following a workout when the idea is to refill muscle glycogen.