PDA

View Full Version : RAW Deadlift

chris mason
06-05-2004, 09:53 AM
This was a set of a series of singles I did in training the other day. You will note I used no belt, nothing.

The weight is 525 lbs (the 45s on the end are black, I bought them after I bought the initial set).

http://www.wannabebig.com/vids/Chris%20-%20Deadlift%20-%20525.mov

BigNic
06-05-2004, 09:55 AM
nice..very impressive man

Y2A
06-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Must be all that Nitrean :eek:

chris mason
06-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Don't forget the soon to be released supplement "X"...

Actually, I am not training anywhere near to failure these days. I will post a video in the next few months of me doing over 600 with the same style and no equipment whatsoever.

BigNic
06-05-2004, 11:43 AM
jesus, not even a belt?

Saint Patrick
06-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Damn that just flew off the ground. Nice work.

Anthony
06-05-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm going to race Chris to 600. :D Nice work bro! If you are around, send the curl video to me and I'll put it online for ya.

chris mason
06-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I'm at work. I'll send it to you tonight if you are at home.

aidano
06-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Nice form too.

Y2A
06-05-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm at work. I'll send it to you tonight if you are at home.

I see my nitrean order was shipped. Im glad you went to work :D

Maki Riddington
06-05-2004, 06:01 PM
That was smooth as butta. I can't say it was a nice lift though, as I won't have much to say when you post the 600 lift. So I'll wait until then.:)

Jasonl
06-05-2004, 06:17 PM
T3h h4et, I mean envy of massive deads. Nice.:)

Big Brother
06-06-2004, 01:07 AM
I couldn't see anything when I downloaded it.

http://www.wannabebig.com/vids/Chris%20-%20Deadlift%20-%20525.mov[/QUOTE]

KeMiKaL
06-06-2004, 07:20 AM
How tall are you Chris? I think I'm gonna try the way you did the deads, with your legs outside of your hands. I think I've been using too narrow of a stance.

chris mason
06-06-2004, 09:00 AM
I couldn't see anything when I downloaded it.

http://www.wannabebig.com/vids/Chris%20-%20Deadlift%20-%20525.mov[/QUOTE]

Try right-clicking on it and "save target as". That should do the trick. If not, you do need Quicktime to run it (I believe).

chris mason
06-06-2004, 09:01 AM
How tall are you Chris? I think I'm gonna try the way you did the deads, with your legs outside of your hands. I think I've been using too narrow of a stance.

I am 5'11.5" or so. The style I am using is called sumo. It is an accepted style in powerlifting competitions. You may find you are stronger with that style, it all depends on the individual.

Rock
06-06-2004, 11:51 AM
very nice style, and you lift it so quick, I think you could manage 650

Big Brother
06-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Try right-clicking on it and "save target as".

Nice tip: it worked (the best sort of tip, really).

Great work, mate. Looking good there.

doctorcod
06-06-2004, 09:01 PM
that is sooo sick, i dead just under 200 :(

bill
06-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Chris you made that look to easy. After I saw the video of doing sld with 400 or so I was thought wow he must dead alot. Very cool.

chris mason
06-07-2004, 05:22 AM
Just to be clear, that is not my max. I have been using a new routine lately where I perform 3 sets of singles. The weights are sub-maximal, probably something with which I could do 3 reps or more if a went all out.

bill
06-07-2004, 06:58 AM
Chris so are you good for 6 right now? Your the man or list a very strong one. lol

BigMatt
06-07-2004, 11:36 AM
How much your weighting in that video?

chris mason
06-07-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't know Bill as I haven't tried. I don't think I am quite there without a belt just yet.

Disc, I am weighing in the 227-230 lb range. I am not sure as I hardly ever weigh myself.

MixmasterNash
06-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Looks like a fairly narrow sumo stance, and your feet aren't turned out very far. Have you tried wider stances? Good lift, in any case.

I still don't like the idea that a sumo and conventional dead are counted the same. Maybe if you sumo'ed and then brought your feet together... but there is clearly more work doing a conventional dead.

Max-Mex
06-07-2004, 04:32 PM
I beg to differ Mix. I find I do more work doing Sumo's than conventional. It has more to do with trying harder to get the bar off the ground. I never had this problem when doing conventionals (lockout was the problem there).

Max-Mex
06-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Oh yea nice lift chris. I wanna grow u to DL likg chris...or at least close to it.

MixmasterNash
06-07-2004, 05:17 PM
I beg to differ Mix. I find I do more work doing Sumo's than conventional. It has more to do with trying harder to get the bar off the ground. I never had this problem when doing conventionals (lockout was the problem there).

Yeah, and I would have a hard time deadlifting standing on one leg. Doesn't matter. The fact remains that the weight is not moving as far in a sumo DL than in a conventional DL, thus it is not an equivalent lift. Not saying sumos aren't a good training tool or a decent exercise, but they are definately not the same. Whether the difference here is comparable to PL squat vs olympic squat, or whether they are two entirely different exercises is debatable. I'm inclined to believe that 99% of competitors will just end up doing sumos just like they use a PL stance. Why? Because sumo is less work, whether or not some people find it harder, according to physics, and the motion is not so mechanically disadvantageous.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. Chris's lift is still good. I would like to see how he lowers it though! Movie ended too early.

Saturday Fever
06-07-2004, 06:33 PM
I think they're both equalled out by the fact some guys pull huge conventional and not sumo. And others still pull huge sumo and not conventional. It's all about your build.

Saturday Fever
06-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Nice lift chris. Curious why you're doing singles with weight you could hit for triples? Generally people don't hit triples at lifts over 90% of their 1RM, and if you're working in a different percentage, you might do better to hit doubles.

You know what you're doing, obviously, this is just idle chatter on my part.

chris mason
06-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Just a program I have worked out for myself and am currently using. I take a weight that I can handle for 2-3 reps and perform 3 sets of singles. Once I feel like the weight has become easy I do 5 sets of singles. If that was sufficiently easy I move up 20 lbs for squats and deads and 10 lbs for bench at the next session (for 3 sets of singles). I am doing single arm overhead dumbbell presses for shoulders and I graduate 5 lbs at a time on those. You get the idea. There is a bit more to it than that, but I don't want to make a forever long post.

As to the sumo and non-sumo, it really depends on your strengths and weaknesses. As a general rule, the heavier guys tend to pull conventional and the lighter ones sumo. Both Bolton and Frank pull conventional. They could pull sumo if they wished and I sure they would if they could pulll more in that style.

As noted, my stance is a bit of a hybrid. My hands are barely inside of my knees. This particular stance just seems to suit me best. Interestingly enough I can pull almost as much with my heels nearly touching.

rapidshoter
06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Yeh ..... why didn't you just record yourself doing the lift instead of showing us all the waiting, which is making the download longer ...... and useless to us.

Relentless
06-16-2004, 01:01 PM
I still don't like the idea that a sumo and conventional dead are counted the same. Maybe if you sumo'ed and then brought your feet together... but there is clearly more work doing a conventional dead.

If the powerlifting federations will accept either sumo or conventional for their purposes, it seems to me that that is a pretty good yardstick for determining whether or not they ought to be "counted the same".

BigNic
06-16-2004, 01:45 PM
hey chris u mentioned benching, i thought you didnt bench anymore, have you started again? Also i was wondering if you follow a routine similar to the one you recently posted in the bodybuilding section. I am following something very similar in my new bulk. It seems like a great idea

chris mason
06-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Nic, I do follow such a routine. Here are all of the exercises I currently perform:

close-grip bench press
squat
deadlift
standing calf raise
seated single arm overhead dumbell press
chins
standing barbell curl
overhead dumbbell tricep extension

I only perform the isolated arm work once every 2-3 sessions. I have recently begun the close-grip bench press again as it does not bother my shoulder as much. I do them after the overhead dumbbell presses and chins in my routine which decreases the weight I use (a good thing for my shoulder).

The only difference for me from what I recommended is that I am using 3 sets of singles. I don't recommend this to others just yet as I want to see how it goes first. I perform the singles with the same progression method I mentioned in the "stuck at 150 lbs" thread.

SW
06-23-2004, 03:06 PM
and i was proud of 365. well that showed me and i'll work harder. very impressive chris.

shootermcgavin7
06-23-2004, 07:49 PM
I TRY to deadlift quickly and then something jerks me back toward the bar....................damn you gravity.......