PDA

View Full Version : Adkins Diet... Successful for everyone?????

Emmie
10-15-2001, 07:01 AM
I tried the Adkins Deit at the start of this year and was hoping to have dramatic results like so many others who have tried it. I read everything there was on the subject, bought the Kytosis sticks, I was on my way to that perfect body ..... or so I thought. 8 weeks later I had put on 23lb. I was eating more but I was definately in Kytosis, it's taken me ages to regain my original weight , has anyone else experienced weight gain on this diet?:(

Joe Black
10-15-2001, 07:39 AM
hmmm... sounds like your calorie amounts were too high..

How did you come to your calorie totals on this diet?

Tryska
10-15-2001, 07:41 AM
yeah...i gotta agree with Hulk....

what exactly were you eating while doing it? If you were in a calorie deficit, and following the diet correctly, biologically speaking there is no way you couldn't have lsot weight. Unless there's is something else medically, going on with you - even then with that type of diet, you would have lost, but just at a slower pace.

Emmie
10-15-2001, 07:50 AM
My calories are usually too low, I stick around 900 - 1200 kcal a day and I exercise everyday - no I'm not built like a stick insect either. I've messed about with diets for a longtime and I know this has had an effect on my calorie consumption. As for the Adkins diet, I guess my calories were in the region of 1800 - 2000 but I thought striping out the carbs and being in kytosis would mean my body would be able to burn them adequately. For this diet to work would I have to keep the calories low? hard on a protein/fat diet.

Joe Black
10-15-2001, 08:02 AM
yes you would..

You still need to be on calorie defect to lose the weight (eat less than you burn)

If you are not you won't lose the weight..

Tryska
10-15-2001, 08:02 AM
well....your calorie intake should be (at the very lowest) 10x your BW. 2000 cals is not an incredible amount, but your cal intake prior was awfully low. Perhaps your body was in "starvation mode" and this rise in weight is it's rebound effect for when you finally started eating again?

Wizard
10-15-2001, 10:29 AM
Some individuals can't oxidize big amounts of fat.
Not every diet is for everyone.

body
10-15-2001, 12:41 PM
calorie in verse calorie used
as tryksa say your diet before was very low so as soon as you eat more than your body will be crying out for food so you will gain more quickly. as you fat storage enzymes will be out in force to mop any fat up for storage.

Hercules
10-15-2001, 12:49 PM
i had great success with the atkins. i lost 40 pounds in 4 months. it was great. i followed a modified version of hit and took a thermo. i gained muscle i know, you can just tell. i even gained strenght. right now i am just balancing out my carbs and proteins try to keep them equal and just get back into my routine and i figured if i add cardio 3-4 times a week and keep using the msucle buidng diet i will loose wieght and maintain my muscle mass. it's an experiment right now but if it does work i''ll go back to atkins. you might even try the greenwich diet. it is like the atkins only it's designed for the excerciser and non excerciser. there are actually two diets in one, you would use the excercisers diet. it replaces all the pork and saturated fats with healthy fats and it's a whey protein based diet. i liked it but it was too expensive for me buying the thermo, protein and vitamins, plust the fish(cold water) and other stuff he (dr. colker) reccomends eating. it was too much money. maybe when i get better finacially situated i'll do it again. you know you can modify the atkins and eat whey instead of pork and other fatty(saturated) proteins and eat natural peanut butter(i love that stuff) and you can even make say bread and eat it if you like. another diet that is what i call the in between diet is the sugar busters, but look out it still has more carbs than i'd reccoment. you might find it easier to follow, the book is not too expensive and you can apply your bodybuilding knowledge to modify it, like eat a portion of whole wheat pasta with a portion of chicken and say a green salad. that diet would have you still eat more carbs than protein, ie the food guide pyramid(i hate that thing). you see what i'm saying. ooops, i seem to have rambled. it'll be up to you to decide but that is my opinion based on the fact that i tried all three diets and found atkins worked best for me. but not all diets work for everyone.

the doc
10-15-2001, 05:51 PM
often the adkins causes downregulation of metabolism because of carb deprivation.

Tryska
10-15-2001, 06:38 PM
but doc? should that down-regulation sort itself out after 2 weeks? provided your body can cope with fat metabolization?

Hercules
10-15-2001, 06:54 PM
her body may have resisted as she may not have that much bodyfat to begin with which makes me wonder why those who do not have more than 100 pounds(give or take 10-15 either way) go on this diet when they would have a better time on something else. my next question is why those who only want to loose a small amount(like 1-3%) of their bodyfat would go on this diet as well. poeple with low bf should not go on this diet, it's not for them. i think that is why some people's bodies resist sparing body fat. she may mave been in ketosis but a very low level of it to the point where she was still putting on weight. i don't know i can't explain it without some tests being done.

the doc
10-15-2001, 07:03 PM
to my knowledge, there is an adjustment to lower overall metabolism- I'm speaking of thyroid hormones. Ketosis is a starvation/preservation type reflex so the body adjusts for maximum preservation of mass. This is why CKD-types are useful as this downregulation is avoided