PDA

View Full Version : Drinking hot water????

Growth
06-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Ive been skimming over a few diet programs and a good number include drinking glasses of hot water as apposed to cold water during the day. Whats the benefit of doing this? anyone know?

SquareHead
06-07-2004, 04:06 PM
:indian:

harryhoudini66
06-07-2004, 05:01 PM
:confused:

JTyrell710
06-07-2004, 05:05 PM
no? everything gets around the same temp. in ur body right?

Vido
06-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Your body burns calories heating cold water to the temperature it will be inside your body. If you drink warm/hot water it makes the process easier. So, if you don't want to burn the extra calories (like some people might not while bulking), then drinking warmer water is going to be better for you.

Spartan936
06-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Also... cold water is slightly harder on your digestive system. I always drink hot water for stomach aches, and it always works. Vido's right.

geoffgarcia
06-07-2004, 05:18 PM
its posts like this that make me glad I save valuable diet/nutrition posts in my journal!
Take a look at this info:

Impact of food/air temperature on calories burned

In theory, raising the temperature of 1 liter of water by one degree Celsius (from body heat or any other heat) takes 1,000 calories.
The lower the temperature of the water the faster this would happen.
If all of the warming of the water came from body heat then in theory the body would have to replace this by burning 1,000 calories of fat (or sugar).

The body must remain at about 37-degrees Celsius (98.6-degrees Fahrenheit) to function normally.
So iff extracting heat from someone fast enough to make some fat burning difference, hypothermia would quickly set in.
This is a condition in which the body temperature decreases below 37-degrees Celsius and shock begins to set in (lowering of blood pressure and repiratory rates).

In concluson, for losing weight there is no substitute (including the Cold Water Vest) for moving more (i.e., exercise) while eating less (i.e., well- balanced weight loss diet recommended by a doctor familiar with your health).

Frederick Sweet, Ph.D. Ob-Gyn, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis MO
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug98/901896816.Me.r.html

Calorie (cal): A calorie is the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1oC, from 16.5o C to 17.5o C.

1 calorie = 4.184 joules (J)
http://www.webdesignpros.net/wellness/calories.html

suppose that you drank water that was 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Your body must burn a few calories to warm the water to body temperature of 98.6 degrees. To raise one pint of 50 degree water the 48.6 degrees to body temperature, about 12.25 calories are burned. That doesn't sound like much, but suppose you drink only 3 pints a day for a year; that's almost 4500 calories or 1.4 to 3.1 pounds of weight loss.

If the water were colder, say ice cold, or if more water was drunk, more calories would be burned and more weight would potentially be lost.

There is also a slight "carry factor." Your body must burn a few calories just to carry the weight of the water you drink. A pint of water is said to weigh a pound, so carrying that pint inside your body is like carrying a one pound weight in your hand. Your body will burn a few calories simply to tote the weight around.

For the cold water diet, the "carry factor" is not very great, but over a year it will amount to the loss of more than an additional pound. Supposing you "carry" the pound of cold water during 18 hours of the day, you'll burn about an extra 4100 calories per year. On average, that would represent about 1.9 pounds of additional weight loss.
http://www.prisoners.com/cwaterd.html

Your body's "appestat" is located in the brain near the "thermostat." If your body temperature drops, your appetite increases and you experience hunger. Eating "stokes the furnace," generates heat, and helps warm your body. Hence, winter exercisers should always carry carbs with them for fuel. Winter campers, for example, commonly keep a supply of dried fruit, chocolate or cookies nearby, so they can "stoke the furnace" if they wake up cold in the middle of the night.

Food's overall warming effect is known as thermogenesis (that is, "heat making"). Thirty to sixty minutes after you eat, your body generates about 10% more heat than when you have an empty stomach. This increased metabolism stems primarily from energy released during digestion. Hence, eating not only provides fuel but also increases heat production.

If you drink a gallon a day, 4 liters, that's only 140 Calories. That's a lot of water. Plus you put stress on your body drinking that much, as it has to
fight to keep from losing ions.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/zoo00/zoo00094.htmthis would equal 14.6lbs of weight loss per year!

Growth
06-07-2004, 07:58 PM
:eek: now thats a journal.

Optimum08
06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
:withstupi

Wow geoff u are my idol...

_-_v_-_
06-07-2004, 10:15 PM
LMAO.

I'm waiting until someone realizes the mistake made here.

geoffgarcia
06-07-2004, 10:41 PM
I assume I made a mistake? I apologize if I did...I'm always ready to be corrected!

if anything I'd bet its that prisoners.com link *LOL* those damned prisoners *LOL*

TheGimp
06-08-2004, 02:28 AM
Isn't a completely different benefit that hot water would be more of an appetite suppressant?

SquareHead
06-08-2004, 02:49 AM
I hear tale that cardio burns calories too...