PDA

View Full Version : So i finally got my Bodyfat % Checked today. I dunno if this is good or bad?

J_weik
06-07-2004, 05:21 PM
I went in, and weighted in. 176. I'm 6'3. My bodyfat is 4.9%.. Seems kinda low. Is this good or bad?

Vido
06-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Good...if that's accurate...which I find hard to believe.

Alke
06-07-2004, 05:28 PM
yeah, that seems low. I am also 6'3" and when I weighed 174 I was at 6.7% BF and I was pretty skinny. I used the electronic tester that you hold out in front of you at my gym. It is not totally accurate but gives a good estimate.

4.9 is VERY low for that weight and height, how did you get your BF tested

DA-newbie
06-07-2004, 05:28 PM
What did you do to find out your BF% that does seem pretty low.

J_weik
06-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Alke, those are more accurate then anything else. I used an electronic tester as well. Same ones doctors use.

Max-Mex
06-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Either you are lean as hell, or well hydrated. The electronic testers aren't very accurate. I have one myself and I only use it as a reference.

Augury
06-07-2004, 07:01 PM
4.9 is incredibly low. Approaching the borders of clinically dangerous. 3% of your bodyfat is essential and you die without it (assumig you are male). So that leaves you with only 1.9% of actuall, non-essential bodyfat.

So...either congratulations are in order for the most cut up person on the boards :)))) or you were over hydrated on the electronic scales and it just measured how well your water was conducting electricity. Also possible to key in the wrong data into scales and get back erronious results.

Eat some lard and do some heavy training :) Have you back up to 8% in no time and looking fine :)

J_weik
06-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I dont look bad at all. I'm not like REALY skinny and nasty looking lol.

edge-man
06-08-2004, 08:09 AM
I think Antec wins the award for most cut-up on this board, go check him out and tell us how your bf looks compared to his.

TheGimp
06-08-2004, 08:21 AM
Alke, those are more accurate then anything else. I used an electronic tester as well. Same ones doctors use.

This is not even close to true. There are far better testing methods out there. This (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/ultimatebodyfattestingguide.htm) website provides a good discussion of them. Something like DEXA or hydrostatic weighing would be the most accurate.

edge-man
06-08-2004, 08:53 AM
The only surefire way is to wait until you die, have the doctor performing autopsy specific instructions to separate bodyfat from tissue, divide bodyfat by total mass and multiply by one hundred. Then give this information to your undertaker and have it chiselled on your gravestone:

Here lies XXXX
Died XX/XX/XX
With an impressive bodyfat percentage of XX