PDA

View Full Version : overeating ... turnover rate

ryuage
06-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Does anyone believe that after a certain amount of time of overeating (bulking) that you will gain more fat to muscle.

Vido
06-07-2004, 09:54 PM
This is the basis of the old ABCDE diets (don't ask me what that stands for). This is where you overeat for a period of time (it started as 2 weeks, dropped to 1, and I think they've determined the optimal period to be even lower now if I'm not mistaken), and then just before you hit this "turning point" where fat gain begins to exceed muscle gain you switch to a period of undereating. The key here is that "overeating" means something like 1000-2000 cals over maintenance. I think if one were to consume a ridiculous amount of calories, like 15000 in one day for example, then even with just the one day of overeating fat gain would exceed muscle gain. You have to remember muscle can only grow at a certain rate, so excess calories beyond a point serve no purpose.

Maki Riddington
06-07-2004, 10:00 PM
I believe someone here once said, "you can't force feed muscle growth."

geoffgarcia
06-07-2004, 10:50 PM
muscle can only grow at a certain rate, so excess calories beyond a point serve no purpose.
so...are you saying that if X is maintenance that if a person consumes x+y% more calories that all of Y will be converted to muscle until it hits a certain %? and at that point whatever is in excess converts to fat?

I think any increase over X is going to lead to a small increase in fat...and that increase in fat increases exponentially as Y increases

thats just my opinion...

Vido
06-07-2004, 11:14 PM
so...are you saying that if X is maintenance that if a person consumes x+y% more calories that all of Y will be converted to muscle until it hits a certain %? and at that point whatever is in excess converts to fat?

I think any increase over X is going to lead to a small increase in fat...and that increase in fat increases exponentially as Y increases

thats just my opinion...

Oh, I agree with you geoff. I suppose what I wrote could be interpreted differently, but I think we're on the same page. It's just that as Y gets large enough, the muscle/fat gain ratio basically approaches zero. (This is the "certain point" I was referring to.)