PDA

View Full Version : determining calories for beef jerky (dehydrator)

gettingstronger
06-07-2004, 11:38 PM
I recently made my first batch of beef jerky and i'm wondering how to calculate its calories. I assumed i could simply use the caloric info for the top round i used just condensed, but i compared this info to what is on the label for my packaged jerky and the numbers don't fit. The fat is 3g less and the protein 4g higher with the packaged version. Why would this be, and what am I figuring wrong?

gettingstronger
07-01-2004, 06:42 PM
bump

Aspect
07-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Perhaps your packaged jerky is coming from a different cut of the animal? Different cuts of meat have different macronutrient breakdowns.

If you're dehydrating food, all you're doing is taking out water. The caloric value of the food, and it's macronutrient breakdown, will remain the same. The only change will be the weight - the jerky will be "denser" because it has less water (so 100g of jerky will contain more cals, protein and fat than 100g of the original meat; but of course, you'll end up with a lower weight of jerky than original meat.)

gettingstronger
07-02-2004, 09:02 AM
that makes sense, but it is a bit odd that top round would contribute a higher fat content than the generic version. I was under the impression that top round was the leanest cut of beef.

Aspect
07-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Generally, the round is one of the leanest parts of the animal. But it all depends on how well trimmed the meat is. If you removed all the visible fat from the meat, then as you say it would be very lean indeed. If you left on any of the fat, then it's possible the pre-packaged jerky could be leaner.

It could simply be that the packaging on the jerky is slightly off, or the values you're using for the top round are slightly off. Either way I'd try not to worry too much - you'll be ending up with some very lean meat which is the important thing.