PDA

View Full Version : lacking vitamins

Bboy486
06-08-2004, 11:44 AM
besides food and multivitamins that I eat i noticed (according to fitday) that I am not getting the following nutrients/vitamins:
Vitamin K
Calcium
Magnesium

my question(s) are: what can i add to my diet to round these off? And what do each do in terms of bodybuilding (i know calcium promotes stronger bones and such.....

geoffgarcia
06-08-2004, 12:06 PM
I wasn't aware that fitday monitored vitamins and minerals. But thats good to know!

Centrum Performance and its generic competitors have:
Vitamin K: 25mcg = 31%
Calcium: 100mg = 10%
Magnesium: 40mg = 10%

Bboy486
06-08-2004, 12:07 PM
I wasn't aware that fitday monitored vitamins and minerals. But thats good to know!

Centrum Performance and its generic competitors have:
Vitamin K: 25mcg = 31%
Calcium: 100mg = 10%
Magnesium: 40mg = 10%

I take centrum however it doesnt maintain the RDA according to fitday

geoffgarcia
06-08-2004, 12:19 PM
what do you mean by "maintain the rda?"

I'm guessing that while the pill might contain the nutrients in the breakdown said, only a fraction actually get into ur body and the rest pass as "poopola" (scientific term)
if thats what its saying then I agree 100%, I think this phenom is well documented, and I think that undigested multi vits are the big clogger of septic systems(if memory serves me).... but its the best alternative to nothing.
Another alternative would be a vegetable juicer perhaps, to get a good assortment of nutrients from various sources, an ice cube worth of mixed fruit/veggie juices would probably be all the nutrients in a centrum and might be processed better.

Another random idea that I've thought of from time to time is dissolving a multi vit in a glass of water, then drinking it...I've often pondered this...

Bboy486
06-08-2004, 12:47 PM
my father used to sell liquid vitamins back in the mid 90's.

They were quite popular for a time then fizzled out. People just did not want to drink there vitamins even though there bodies were utilizing more nutrients when in pill form.

I just wantted to know wher ei can get the att'l vitamins i listed (what foods) and what they do in a human body, like calc promotes strong bones, etc

vvv
06-08-2004, 12:53 PM
usualy i take a vitamin C 500mg with Cod Liver Oil 20min in the mornin b4 breakfast

geoffgarcia
06-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Good sources of Magnesium include
Wheatgerm, nuts, beans, brown rice, oats, barley, wheat flakes, bananas, leafy green vegetables.

How Magnesium helps
Helps to combat heart disease & strokes
Helps to prevent PMS, kidney & gallstones
Useful in treatment of prostate problems
Essential for cell repair, hormones and a regular heartbeat

Magnesium deficiency symptoms include
General weakness.
Nervous behavior (hyperactivity in children).
Low blood sugar.
Palpitations.

Calcium
The average Western diet contains slightly less than the recommended daily allowance of Calcium, so some deficiency is quite common, especially among post-menopausal women. Calcium is the major constituent of bone and tooth material, so we need more of it than any other mineral. The average human body contains more than 1 kilo of calcium and about 1g a day is required to maintain that level. Dairy products like milk and hard cheese - especially the lower-fat varieties - are good sources of calcium. Tinned sardines are also good.

Good sources of Calcium include
Milk, cheddar cheese, sardines, free range eggs, leafy green vegetables.

A glass of low fat milk, a low fat yogurt and 2oz of lower fat cheese provides the average person with the Calcium they need.

How Calcium helps
Helps maintain strong bones and teeth
Helps messages to be sent along nerves
Regulates muscle contraction and heart beat
Good for the immune system
Helps to combat cancer & heart disease
Helps body to metabolize iron

Calcium deficiency symptoms
Weak bones and teeth.
Leg cramps.
http://www.annecollins.com/nutrition/minerals-magnesium.htm

Vitamin K: Vitamin K helps make six of the 13 proteins needed for blood clotting. Its role in maintaining the clotting cascade is so important that people who take anticoagulants such as warfarin (Coumadin) must be careful to keep their vitamin K intake stable.

Lately, researchers have demonstrated that vitamin K is also involved in building bone. Low levels of circulating vitamin K have been linked with low bone density, and supplementation with vitamin K shows improvements in biochemical measures of bone health.(26) A report from the Nurses' Health Study suggests that women who get at least 110 micrograms of vitamin K a day are 30% less likely to break a hip as women who get less than that.(27) Among the nurses, eating a serving of lettuce or other green leafy vegetable a day cut the risk of hip fracture in half when compared with eating one serving a week. Data from the Framingham Heart Study also shows an association between high vitamin K intake and reduced risk of hip fracture.(28)

Optimal Intake: The recommended daily intake for vitamin K is 80 micrograms for men and 65 for women. Because this vitamin is found in so many foods, especially green leafy vegetables and commonly used cooking oils, most adults get enough of it.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamins.html

Bboy486
06-08-2004, 01:08 PM
great thanks you, and wow that is very good research

Holto
06-08-2004, 02:07 PM
the calcium in dairy is not well utilized

N Americans consume 3x more dairy than any other nation and have the highest rates of osteoporosis

of course other factors contribute to this (sedentary lifestyles etc...)

geoffgarcia
06-08-2004, 02:12 PM
yah, and if ur taking whey or casein ur getting ton of calcium in there as they are milk derivatives (sp)
29g protein of just casein has about 40-80% of the US RDA for calcium
23g protein of whey is about 25%
Depending on the brand.