PDA

View Full Version : Too many calories in a meal?

TOBART
06-08-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm on a heavy bulking diet, aiming for 3500+ calories a day. I'm still a small guy, 5' 7" 136lbs.

I logged everything I ate for 2 weeks a while back just to get a general idea of how much I actually need to eat. I found I was getting 200+ g of protien daily and anywhere from 3200-4500 calories a day from mostly clean food.

I am just wondering, is there anything bad about eatting a 1200 calorie meal? Like say a large amount of pasta and an 600 calorie protien drink. Will any of these calories go to waste or be more likely to store as fat?

geoffgarcia
06-08-2004, 10:01 PM
one of the big problems in eating a few larger meals is that in the gaps between meals it becomes possible to slip into a catabolic state for a period of time.
As long as you concentrate on getting 3 meals, first thing u wake up to halt the catabolic effect, afternoon, and before bed, u should be ok....more frequency wouldn't hurt though.

Maxgain
06-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Ok heres where Im a bit confused, If you are eating 1200 calories of clean slow digesting food it should take much longer to digest and absorb so you would still get a steady release as in eating more frequently.
A fast digesting weght gain drink with pasta will most likely lead to fat gain unless taken when needed as in after training but the time from absorption to your next meal will lead to fat loss so it will come down at the end to total calorie intake. This time will be a catabolic state so protein will get broken down also where as in the big calorie meal all the protein will not be used for synthesis but for energy and fat storage what i would describe as a waste.Therefore taking a large amount of fast digesting protein as in a shake will not be all utilised as wanted and then you will also get breakdown of protein while waiting for your next meal thus the need for greater frequency.
Is this right?

AllUp
06-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Ok heres where Im a bit confused, If you are eating 1200 calories of clean slow digesting food it should take much longer to digest and absorb so you would still get a steady release as in eating more frequently.
:thumbup:
In general I'd aim for 5 smaller meals, or slip something small inbetween your larger meals.