PDA

View Full Version : What foods NOT eat while cutting?

mike107
06-08-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm just starting my cut, haven't started cardio yet. But, I'm eating 3,000 calories a day (was eating 3,200 during my bulk). I am trying to watch what I eat, but I'm not sure of exactly what to avoid. I stopped eating candy and soda of course (all the real sugary things). I try to stay away from eating very much fast food, but sometimes eat things like chicken nuggets and pizza. Should I stay away from all fastfood, or are certain things OK (i.e. chicken nuggets?)? I eat 8 meals (app. 375cals each), but I don't know if what I'm eating is hurting my cutting efforts. I eat things like cereal, burritos, tuna, a little fastfood, milk. I stay within my daily calorie limit, but I don't know what these calories are supposed to consist of (how much carbs, fat, etc.). I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me what things you should NOT eat while cutting. And of the few foods I listed, what should I not eat? Also, what percentage of my calories should come from carbs, from protein, and how much should come from fat?

Spartan936
06-08-2004, 11:30 PM
I eat things like cereal, burritos, tuna, a little fastfood, milk.

Well, if you are planning to go all the way, these are the things you should eat (taken from the wbb site):

1-2 Gallons of Water a day

Protein

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut, sushi, mahi mahi, Orange roughi, tilapia, Sardines)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder (Whey, Casein, Soy, Egg)
Eggs (*most of the protein is in the yolk)
Low or Non-Fat Cottage cheese, Ricotta
Low fat or Non fat Yogurt
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (stew meat, London broil, Stir fry)
Top Sirloin (Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (filet mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Stir Fry, Fajitas)
Eye of Round (Cube meat, Stew meat, Bottom Round)
Ground Turkey, Turkey Breast slices or cutlets (*no deli or sandwich meats)

Complex Carbs (nothing enriched, bleached or processed if possible)

Oatmeal (Old fashioned, Quick oats, Irish steal cut)
Sweet Potatoes, Yams
Beans (Black eyed, Pinto, Red, Kidney, Black)
Oat Bran Cereal, Grape nuts, Rye cereal, Multi grain hot cereal
Farin (Cream of wheat)
Whole Wheat frozen Bagels, Pitas
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta, Whey Pasta
Rice (Brown, white, jasmin, basmiti, arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, white, baking)

Fibrous Carbs

Green Leafy lettuce (red, green, romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Pepers (Green or Red)
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Carrots
Eggplant
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

Fruit (If acceptable on diet)
bananas, oranges, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

Healthy Fats

Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive oil, Safflower oil
Flaxseed oil
Fish Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts)

Dairy

Eggs
Low of Non-Fat cottage cheese, Ricotta
Low or non-fat milk
Low fat or non-fat yogurt

Condiments & Spices

Diet Soda
Crystal light
Fat free mayonaise
Reduced sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced sodium Teriyaki Sauce
balsamic Vinegar
Salsa, Jalepenos
Hot peppers and Hot sauce, Cayanne pepper
Chili powder and Chili paste
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar free Maple Syrup
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)
Low sodium beef or chicken Broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoe sauce or paste

Of course we all cheat, but try to stay away from heavily processed and junky foods. It is a huge life change to eat healthy. Keep the protein high for lifting, eat the "healthy" carbs and fats, and you're set. Also, search the forums for more info; there's tons. Good luck.

TheGimp
06-09-2004, 02:28 AM
Provided they fit into your calorie needs I would say that just about anything is acceptable.

Aim to eat 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight and no less than 20% of calories from fat in order to maintain healthy hormone production. A decent starting breakdown would be 40/30/30 (protein/carbohydrate/fat).

I don't think 3000 calories will lose you much if any weight if you were bulking on 3200 unless you do a lot of cardio. Depending on your rate of weight gain during your bulk 3000 calories is probably still over maintenance.

SquareHead
06-09-2004, 02:41 AM
If you would look forward to eating something, you should not eat it. ie "man I cant wait untill I can get home to eat some (blank), you shouldent eat that.

Giddo
06-09-2004, 05:12 AM
go to www.fitday.com and register, put in what you eat and drink daily and it will work out your split for you, "you have to be honest though".
Good luck!

SerialBox
06-09-2004, 07:18 AM
If you would look forward to eating something, you should not eat it. ie "man I cant wait untill I can get home to eat some (blank), you shouldent eat that.

If that were the case, I wouldn't be eating half as much as I do. I especially look forward to my peanut butter and cottage cheese before bed...along with every other meal I eat throughout the day! :)

SquareHead
06-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Count me wrong then.

geoffgarcia
06-09-2004, 09:45 AM
I'm with SH...if you give in to one urge it makes it easier to cave on others thus destroying a good meal plan.
Assuming those urges are for things NOT on your plan.

SquareHead
06-09-2004, 09:48 AM
SerialBox what is teh name from?

TheGimp
06-09-2004, 09:57 AM
If satisfying your cravings every once in a while helps you stick to a plan then I think it's worth it. Have a cheat day disguised as a refeed :)

Although as I said in mike107's case I don't think his deficit is low (I think it's non-existant) enough to justify it.

mike107
06-09-2004, 01:08 PM
I don't think 3000 calories will lose you much if any weight if you were bulking on 3200 unless you do a lot of cardio. Depending on your rate of weight gain during your bulk 3000 calories is probably still over maintenance.

TheGimp: I am just starting to cut, I was told I should slowly decrease my calorie intake. So, this week I'm going to eat 3000, next week I'll cut 150-200 calories, and so on. It'll eventually be around 1900. I'll just gradually lower my calories (about 20 a day). Should I do this differently?

chris6969
06-09-2004, 01:23 PM
if you're going to eat fast food, dont get chicken nuggets!

get a grilled chicken breast, no mayo.

McD's chicken is actually a nice chicken breast.
BurgerKing chicken baguettes were nice, but they dont have them anymore :( and the chicken whopper is processed, almost as bad as fried chicken nuggets.

Hint: if its fried... dont eat it.... unless its a cheat meal. which you're allowed sometimes.

Holto
06-09-2004, 05:52 PM
TheGimp: I am just starting to cut, I was told I should slowly decrease my calorie intake. So, this week I'm going to eat 3000, next week I'll cut 150-200 calories, and so on. It'll eventually be around 1900. I'll just gradually lower my calories (about 20 a day). Should I do this differently?

if you plan on going as low as 1900 I would start at 2500 then

Vido
06-09-2004, 05:58 PM
if you plan on going as low as 1900 I would start at 2500 then

Why? If he plans to start at 3000, and he's cutting, then let's assume he was eating more than this just recently. Jumping right to 2500 is a good way to slow the metabolism down real quick.

jimmyD
06-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Hint: if its fried... dont eat it.... unless its a cheat meal. which you're allowed sometimes.

ok i have a question--is my first on these boards!what if im like way over weight(which i am),and i am counting calories. I have been like stirfrying my 8oz chicken,with very little mixed veggies but im using 1 tbsp of olive oil for the process.also sometimes i add in a few small shrimp.Nothing is deepfried and the veggies are mostly onions and broccoli. This is my meal i look forward to. Is that "fried" food bad? I have like 50lbs to lose before i can begin to ask you all alot of BB questions.Is no since in me tring to gain muscle with the amout of fat i have to lose first.(i have lost almost 30 since i changed my diet.)

TheGimp
06-10-2004, 02:41 AM
That sounds fine to me jimmyD.

benfsu03
06-10-2004, 01:48 PM
i got a question to for anyone who wants to answer it. ive been bulking for a while now, got up to 195. but the problem is that im close to 20% bf. i want to get down to my low teens. how do i go about cutting w/o losing the muscle i gained. if i lose weight is it necessarily gonna be muscle or fat or both??

Holto
06-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Jumping right to 2500 is a good way to slow the metabolism down real quick.

only if it's significantly below his maintenance

on edit: if he can bulk on 3200 then 2500 could actually still be over maintenance

anyone who could even consider hitting 1900 should be barely in an energy deficit at 2500

have you ever seen anyone start 1100 cals over what they plan on using to cutt ?

several years for me in the business and I have never seen that

Holto
06-10-2004, 03:01 PM
i got a question to for anyone who wants to answer it. ive been bulking for a while now, got up to 195. but the problem is that im close to 20% bf. i want to get down to my low teens. how do i go about cutting w/o losing the muscle i gained. if i lose weight is it necessarily gonna be muscle or fat or both??

lose it slow

1lb/week = all fat (ideally)

muscle is usually lost when people cut too quickly

if you continue to lift you shouldn't lose any muscle

benfsu03
06-10-2004, 03:13 PM
at the rate of 1lb/week how long would it take for me to notice a difference in my bf%