PDA

View Full Version : Why We Get Fat

Maki Riddington
10-15-2001, 10:05 PM
I'm going to throw out something here.

The leading reason why people are overweight is not only because there is a lack of exercise but a overindulgence on foods that are high in fats and carbs.

Your thoughts?

Cackerot69
10-15-2001, 10:17 PM
No sh*t.

Mystic Eric
10-15-2001, 10:46 PM
1+1=2

Alex.V
10-15-2001, 11:31 PM
*Somewhat confused polite applause*

How about "overfed and undernourished" as a better way to describe people's diet?

KeepPushing
10-16-2001, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by the terminator
1+1=2

lol :D

Budiak
10-16-2001, 12:40 AM
Woah, woah woah, doc, dumb it down for the laymen here, alright? We all dont have "degrees" from a major "college" like you. I dont exactly "understand" what you're "saying".

Per say.

YatesNightBlade
10-16-2001, 01:52 AM
LMAO @ Cack.

I think it's a combination of both Maki. Sometimes one or the other is the dominent factor tho.

Wizard
10-16-2001, 03:37 AM
We get fat when we overeat.(i.e excess calories)

syntekz
10-16-2001, 07:34 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with people not being on a consitent diet. Some people eat 2 meals a day and only get say 800 - 1000 calories a day, but they still don't loose weight. But the two meals they do eat keeps them full all day long because their metabolism has been stomped to the ground.

Pup
10-16-2001, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
No sh*t.

Brilliant post cack, i see that turning 16 has matured you quite a bit :)

*hands maki most obvious fact that never needed to be stated award*

the doc
10-16-2001, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
I'm going to throw out something here.

The leading reason why people are overweight is not only because there is a lack of exercise but a overindulgence on foods that are high in fats and carbs.

Your thoughts?

100% agreement

now hand me those fried potatoes

Tryska
10-16-2001, 10:36 AM
mmmmm...i sher dew lahk these frahd per-tay-ters. mmmm hmmm.

Orange357
10-16-2001, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by syntekz
I think a lot of it has to do with people not being on a consitent diet. Some people eat 2 meals a day and only get say 800 - 1000 calories a day, but they still don't loose weight. But the two meals they do eat keeps them full all day long because their metabolism has been stomped to the ground.

This plays a part too with the non nourished body too...

body
10-16-2001, 01:39 PM
maki - you forgot alcohol

ElPietro
10-16-2001, 02:42 PM
In a recent follow-up study lack of fluids in the body seems to be a good indicator of dehydration.

kAto
10-16-2001, 03:13 PM
not only that but its there eating habits. for example in college i would eat 7 meals a day consisting of tuna sandwiches, shakes, subs, etc... everyone called my a freak, these people that poked fun at me, would eat like 2 meals a day consisting of mcdonald meals, or tim hortins, and yes they were chubby and out of shape.

so i would say its not only the quantity or quality of food , its the consistent frequency that they lack.

body
10-16-2001, 03:25 PM
in the uk people ate more kcals in the 1950's, they also ate more fat as well than uk people did in the 1990's ( no skimmed milk, low fat spread in the 1950's or artifical sweeteners). but the level of obesity are much higher in the 1990's than the 50's as people are not as active.(mordern applaince, more cars etc).
i assume the usa is the same.

Maki Riddington
10-16-2001, 04:09 PM
Sheesh, come on people, do you really think I was giving out a piece of ground breaking info?

I simply threw out a statement and wanted to see what the responses were.
My statement can be argued.

chris mason
10-16-2001, 04:15 PM
How about this, people are fat because they eat more than they burn. It really is as simple as that.

Cackerot69
10-16-2001, 04:30 PM
There's more to it than that, but in a very general sense yes.

body
10-16-2001, 04:35 PM
maki - show us how you would argue it either way.
as there is not much to argue from what i saw

heathj
10-16-2001, 08:28 PM
Why we get fat. People are stupid idiots who can't stop eating. The majority of the world does not care how they look, they do not watch their diet, they are dumb pigs who I hope explode from eating so much. People drink an excess in pop, candy, and all around sh*tty food every damn day. Teenagers especially. The thing that pisses me off most though, is that fat people continue to eat fattening foods and lots of it. STOP! All it takes is a little will power. Quit your bitching and get your ass on it. People say they don't want to go on a diet because people will make fun of you. Who cares, if your overweight, try weight watchers. People make fun at you? F*ck 'em and then when you lose 60 pounds in 6 months, then you can say "boo ya". It's all about self esteem and if people could actually get a little and stop eating, they would lose weight and stay fit. Get off the damn computer games and go on a walk!

syntekz
10-16-2001, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by body

I've seen people who only eat 1000 calories a day weighing a good 170-180. There is no way they are beyond their calorie needs

Maki Riddington
10-16-2001, 09:53 PM
Well, take my girlfriend for example. She is 5'0, 96 pounds.
She eats maybe one meal a day on a regular basis and there is no loss of bodyweight. There isn't even a gain.
She can exercise quite fine and even strength trains when I get her to drag her booty into the gym.
She's actually pretty strong.

xraygirl
10-16-2001, 10:28 PM
** My disclaimer: I'm not speaking from an obese viewpoint here, this is just some thoughts that are floating around so bear with me.**
Some of us have what I call "the fat-gene". I eat healthier than my inlaws, but in family photos I stick out because they are all rail-thin and I'm larger. Even when I'm slender for my size (about a 5-6), I'm still larger than they are. My husband has been trying to get me down to a 3 as long as I've known him and it will never happen because I'm just not made that way. Some of us are just not meant to be reed-thin regardless of how much dieting we do.

body
10-17-2001, 03:06 PM
syntekz quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen people who only eat 1000 calories a day weighing a good 170-180. There is no way they are beyond their calorie needs

Maki Riddington wrote"Well, take my girlfriend for example. She is 5'0, 96 pounds.
She eats maybe one meal a day on a regular basis and there is no loss of bodyweight "

Maki - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.

syntekza - they probably eat more than 1,000 kcals a day. Do you really sit there and record everything they eat. Most people are not good at juding there own calorific requirment so judging some one else who you do not see 24 hours a day is even harder.
Plus it tkae a while for body changes to occur. As the BMR reacts to the lower food intake the body slows. so they will loose some muscle to help keep the BMR low. so they may loose like 5 pounds over the year but it will be gradual and hard to notice they are loosing weight. plus they probably have like 3,000 kcals of beer at the weekend. which will not aid there weight loss.

Tryska
10-17-2001, 04:38 PM
for many people it is a matter of lifestyle that causes them to be obese. for others there can be real true ophysical problems that cause them to inappropriately gain/and or hold on to fat. there is also that genetic component, whioch x-ray girl is alluding to....all bodies are not meant to be skin and bones...it's that old endo/meso/ecto theory.

Maki Riddington
10-17-2001, 05:47 PM
syntekz quote:

Maki Riddington wrote"Well, take my girlfriend for example. She is 5'0, 96 pounds.
She eats maybe one meal a day on a regular basis and there is no loss of bodyweight "

Maki - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.

*** Are you asking me to dismiss all emperical evidence?
I've been with my lady long enough to know her.

body
10-18-2001, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington

*** Are you asking me to dismiss all emperical evidence?
I've been with my lady long enough to know her.

maki i was not being 100% serious in my statement. But there are lots of people who cheat behind lover/scientest back when saying they only ate this and that. you know your girlfriend better than me, so i do not know what she eats.

syntekz
10-18-2001, 11:49 AM
Either way, a lot of it not only depends on diet/exercise habits, but also your genetics as well.

Reinier
10-19-2001, 04:48 PM
Some of us have what I call "the fat-gene". I eat healthier than my inlaws, but in family photos I stick out because they are all rail-thin and I'm larger. Even when I'm slender for my size (about a 5-6), I'm still larger than they are. My husband has been trying to get me down to a 3 as long as I've known him and it will never happen because I'm just not made that way. Some of us are just not meant to be reed-thin regardless of how much dieting we do.

k.. lets just cut the fat-gene/ecto/meso/endo crap....

if those people would do 3 times a week cardio and 3 times a week weightlifting and figure out their maintenance level andwork with that they will all over a bunch of years look lean.

of course for some people its hard and for some its easy, but its ot impossible for anyone if you ask me.

just a weak excuse for not working hard on your body if you ask me....

Tryska
10-19-2001, 05:23 PM
i don't think anyone was making excuses reiner....just stating what is. Of course it's not impossible for anyone, no matter how much the perceived genetic deck may be stacked against them, to not maintain a healthy weight.

xraygirl
10-19-2001, 05:39 PM
Excuse me Reinier, but I do not make excuses. Taking care of myself and working hard at it has to be a way of life for me. It is also important for many people on this board or they wouldn't be on this particular forum in the first place.
But of course, I'm a hell of alot older than you are and have more experience to draw my conclusions from.
Sorry, don't mean to be a jerk so don't take this personally, but if you do a little research you will find that there is a genetic component to be considered.

Maki Riddington
10-19-2001, 06:58 PM
LMAO Xray, I like your title.
Ya know I was only teasing.

xraygirl
10-19-2001, 07:01 PM
You like it? :angel:
Just got sick of being referred to as a "member". I lack the equipment if you know what I mean.

Matx
10-19-2001, 07:15 PM
a lot of people whine though that they're fat because they're "big boned" or its their "genetics"..

xraygirl
10-19-2001, 07:23 PM
I see alot of that in the Air Force. But the big-boned people do not look fat because they are not fat. I've always had the urge to say to the pseudo big-boned folks, "Gee, them be some mighty big abdominal bones!".
I know, I'm evil.

the doc
10-19-2001, 07:34 PM
xraygirl= :evillaugh

Reinier
10-20-2001, 02:44 AM
i wasn`t trying to say xraygirl is making excuses, i was just talking about people with "bad genetics" or endomorphs, or big boned people.....

Reinier
10-20-2001, 02:46 AM
im not denying the role of genetics in weight control or bodybuilding at all....

xraygirl
10-20-2001, 07:28 AM
Okay, cool ;)

Alex.V
10-20-2001, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by xraygirl

Just got sick of being referred to as a "member". I lack the equipment if you know what I mean.

Holy crap that's funny.

Maki Riddington
06-14-2004, 08:07 AM
This has got to be one of my best posts here.;)

JTyrell710
06-14-2004, 08:50 AM
"Maki - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact." <--thats awesome hahaha

alrite genetically it is gonna be harder, and much harder for a select few to get lean- but its still possible-

and for those of us with girlfriends who eat nothing but salads every day an still arent losing weight- i think that they've just eatin so little calories for so long, that their metabolism is gone so when they do eat something substantial, it is then more likely to be stored as fat- when in the first place they would have been fine just eating real meals in the first place... *thoughts?*

p.s. -for a girl that is 5ft tall, 110 (im guessing.. nobody knows a real women's weight) what would the daily maitenence be around?
2000-2500 is for grown males right? Are women's less?

Allyrulez
06-14-2004, 11:50 AM
People are just getting lazier, life is easier

I think we are devolving like 3-toed sloths

DoUgL@S
06-14-2004, 12:20 PM
I can't argue against thermodynamics (cals in>cals out), we know energy cannot be created or destroyed, it will change forms. If you eat more than your body expends you will put on weight. BUT the extent of the partitioning of the weight is much more complex. Genetics, quality of food ingested, timing of meals and exercise all play a role. In a caloric surpluss some of us will put on more LBM than fat, while others of us will put on more fat than LBM. Our genetic make has not changed in the last century so the culprit for the rise in obesity is the quality of our food intake and the lack of physical activity. It just so happens that some are predisposed to become obese given the change is these factors, while others are more resistant to "getting fat."

ElPietro
06-14-2004, 12:43 PM
In a recent follow-up study lack of fluids in the body seems to be a good indicator of dehydration.

Haha! I crack me up! :D

This thread is simply brilliant. Have you accumulated more information to backup your controversial statement mac?

hemants
06-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Your body resembles your lifestyle.

jimmyD
06-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Healthj- Your post is awesome! want to be a personal trainer?(lol). I can tell you why Im fat if it helps. All my life i have been fat.since 8th grade i have been over 200lbs. I have had TITS my whole life!(yes im male). Maybe some of it has to do with genetics but...... I have always went the easy way on everything!I sit in front of the TV when younger and untill recently i have sat infront of my computers ,playing games,wasting my life away. at certain times in my life i studied arnolds books and BB magazines but i was always way to lazy to do anything.I could rattle on to people about the proper diet/proper weight training but i was much to lazy to do it. I got to where i would eat so much that i would feel bad if i didnt eat till i was full!I just wasnt happy unless my gut was hurting!
So the short of my post is I was a lazy F**K,A fat bast*rd, eating everything i could!so far in 2 months now i have lost 30lbs and am not stopping!My short term goal is not to be so lazy and try to get to 10% body fat!long term is that I WANT to see my abs! I dont know if its possible for someone who has been fat all his life to do that but im gonna do my damndest!
-----lazy,overeating is the things that make one fat!and im living proof!
PS-i am gonna need lots of help.will be posting a journal soon and a long spewl of my life. but i WILL atleast hit my short term goal!

Maki Riddington
06-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Haha! I crack me up! :D

This thread is simply brilliant. Have you accumulated more information to backup your controversial statement mac?

*** No, I think I'm gonna keep my mouth shut from now on when I have a "brilliant" thought to share with the folks here.:)

CubsFan
06-22-2004, 08:14 AM
I've been a big guy since the sixth grade and I can blame it all on myself. Playing all the sports in the world didn't help balance out my habits. I played hockey, baseball, football, rugby and lacrosse for years but the fact that I wasn't eating properly eventually brought me to 275lbs at age 18. I'm now 19 and weighing in at 220lbs. All because of water, eating right and working out.

I could stand to do more cardio and that's what I'm working on. Someday, I will have a flat stomach. If that takes two gallons of water a day and seven hours of cardio a week, so be it. I have goals and if people don't understand, they can stay behind.

It's a two part equation. One part is exercise. You have to do it but if you're not eating right, it won't really make a difference. The other part is eating right. You have to do it but it won't make a difference if you DON'T exercise. Both have to come together. Not just one at a time. This is why it's so important to make sure somebody who just ate an entire cake doesn't think that three barbell curls makes up for it.