PDA

View Full Version : Too many carbs/fat in my bulking diet?

BEN
06-09-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm 6'1 and 154 lbs, from fitday my bulking diet daily is gonna be 2170 calories, 63g of fat, 232g carbs and 186 protein. Should I reduce any amount of my fat or carb intake?

geoffgarcia
06-09-2004, 12:29 PM
where did you get the 2170 number from? its low

BEN
06-09-2004, 12:31 PM
where did you get the 2170 number from? its low

Well I wasnt eating this much a day before my bulk and im really underweight. Also I read somewhere about multiplying your weight by like 12 or 13 so 2170 sounded like a good place to start.

chris6969
06-09-2004, 01:30 PM
for bulking many people eat 1.5g per lb of bodyweight... so you would need 231g of protein or more. And if you're bulking it doesnt really matter what you eat.... as long as you get enough protein. eat all you can, eat 5-6 times a day.... eat when ever you get the chance. 6'1" @ 154 is kinda skinny so you need to eat everything in sight and make sure you have enough protein in the mix.

I started out working out about 11 years ago at 19 y/o, 130lbs, 6'0"
Now, I'm still 6'0" but 195lbs... thought I have probably added 5% bodyfat...
(from 10-15% to now about 15-20% - fluctuations due to dieting on & off)

I also went from benching maybe 140lbs to 315lbs

SquareHead
06-09-2004, 01:36 PM
I say it's an ok starting point. Though your bulking cals will probably be higher. Try it for a week keep adding calls untill your gaining steadily. As for the fat I would look at what type of fat it is. Saturated would be a no no though that's a given. You could try to maintain a macronutrient ratio though Ill not recommend one. Its a matter of how your body works with it's materials.

Just try thing's out log it well and you'll be ok. You have nothing but time.

geoffgarcia
06-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Well I wasnt eating this much a day before my bulk and im really underweight. Also I read somewhere about multiplying your weight by like 12 or 13 so 2170 sounded like a good place to start.
my cutting calories are 14xbw...and bulking is about 20x bw

how old?

here is one calculator (can find more on google search for BMR Calculator)
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

note that BMR is the bare minimum for a person (the amount of fuel for someone in a coma to keep all organs working)...this is below minimum for a diet unless u have atypical goals (like to drop from 7%bf to 3% or to drop from 40% bf to 25%)

x.125
Level 1 Inactive lifestyle (you sit down most of the day and drive or ride wherever possible. You take little or no exercise.)

x.275
Level 2 Moderately active lifestyle (you sit most of the day, but take occasional, low intensity exercise.)

x.35
Level 3 Active lifestyle (you do some amount of regular exercise (4 to 5 times a week) and/or your job requires physical labour.)

x.45
Level 4 Very active lifestyle/Athlete (you are involved in a program of intense aerobic exercise of over 10 hours per week with a resting heartbeat of below 60bpm and/or your job requires heavy physical labour.)

for an 18 year old, 6'1 @ 154lbs
ur bmr calculates (according to the link above) at 1830
if ur going to the gym 3-4 x per week then u could multiply by around .3 which = 2380 to maintain ur activity level
to bulk add 350 calories per day to grow (3500 calories = 1 pound, considered bulking levels)
would be 2730 and this is on the low side...you might need to shoot up as high as 3200 to gain weight.
At 2100 ur at cutting levels...

which is why we were saying that if ur trying to bulk ur calories are to low
granted these numbers are all just approximations...

there are several formulas to calculate BMR and activity level...they all tend to be within 50 calories of each other for BMR and activity level multiplers vary a tiny bit...

BEN
06-09-2004, 03:04 PM
my cutting calories are 14xbw...and bulking is about 20x bw

how old?

here is one calculator (can find more on google search for BMR Calculator)
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

note that BMR is the bare minimum for a person (the amount of fuel for someone in a coma to keep all organs working)...this is below minimum for a diet unless u have atypical goals (like to drop from 7%bf to 3% or to drop from 40% bf to 25%)

for an 18 year old, 6'1 @ 154lbs
ur bmr calculates (according to the link above) at 1830
if ur going to the gym 3-4 x per week then u could multiply by around .3 which = 2380 to maintain ur activity level
to bulk add 350 calories per day to grow (3500 calories = 1 pound, considered bulking levels)
would be 2730 and this is on the low side...you might need to shoot up as high as 3200 to gain weight.
At 2100 ur at cutting levels...

which is why we were saying that if ur trying to bulk ur calories are to low
granted these numbers are all just approximations...

there are several formulas to calculate BMR and activity level...they all tend to be within 50 calories of each other for BMR and activity level multiplers vary a tiny bit...

Yea, i'm 18. And i'll be working out 3x a week, so i guess i should be eating 2500+ cals? I'm just having trouble finding so much to eat and eating cleanly at the same time. Also to squarehead my diet has 17 sat fat not sure if thats too much, im eating mostly clean foods- tuna, skinless boneless chicken, fruit lean ham turkey sandhwiches on WW bread etc.

Vido
06-09-2004, 05:32 PM
A better starting point would be about 3000 calories imo, and I bet you'll still have to increase this.

BEN
06-09-2004, 08:48 PM
A better starting point would be about 3000 calories imo, and I bet you'll still have to increase this.

ok thanks, man i didnt think eating would be such a chore

geoffgarcia
06-09-2004, 09:10 PM
3k calories isn't a chore:)
wait till you have another 60 pounds of muscle on your frame and you have to eat 4000-4500 calories to bulk...THAT is when eating gets harder

BEN
06-10-2004, 03:51 AM
Also wanted to ask, what do you guys use to measure servings that are measured in ounces? Like on the nutritonal info for chicken breast it would say 3 oz and the same for lean beef, How do you guys convert that and find out how much it is?

Max-Mex
06-10-2004, 08:01 AM

It's not so bad unless you don't have the cash. If cash isn't a problem, bulking is so much easier, and more fun, than cutting. Burritos are awesome (get ones that are made in front of you, and pick chicken). Subs from Subway (try to get chicken or turkey).

Not that I would recommend it, but if you need the extra cals and are short on time, broiled chicken sandwich from Micky D's or Burger King will do in a pinch. I wouldn't do this that often as most meals from places like are too high in saturated fats.

geoffgarcia
06-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Also wanted to ask, what do you guys use to measure servings that are measured in ounces? Like on the nutritonal info for chicken breast it would say 3 oz and the same for lean beef, How do you guys convert that and find out how much it is?
assuming your tracking your intake, your tracking tool should take care of the conversion for you.
I personally use cups for my measurement, although its less accurate than actually weighing your food. U can get a food scale for like 10-20$ at most stores, or online.