PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to Sodium Intake

Vido
06-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Much like one's metabolism can shut down in a severe caloric deficit, is it possible for one's body to become less adept at handling sodium if sodium is virtually eliminated from the diet for some time? I'm referring merely to water retention. I ate virtually no sodium for probably a good 2 months, and now even on a low carb diet (or at least the low carb depletion days on UD2) if I eat a single can of tuna I hold a ton of water. It's not a huge deal, I only ask the question out of curiosity and because I'm aware that our bodies are very adaptive.

reaver
06-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Seems extreme to me. One can of tuna causing all that retention. Is this just one time? Give a little time. Body needs some sodium.

Vido
06-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Seems extreme to me. One can of tuna causing all that retention. Is this just one time? Give a little time. Body needs some sodium.

Nope, basically every day. If I go a couple of days without sodium again I retain very little water. Throw that can of tuna back in there and I'm bloated.

Augury
06-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Vido...is your tuna packed in oil, brine or spring water?

If its packed in brine...try buyig it in spring water. Tuna itself isnt really very salty. I admit to being quite surprised by the water retention. What else is in your diet?

Augs

Vido
06-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Vido...is your tuna packed in oil, brine or spring water?

If its packed in brine...try buyig it in spring water. Tuna itself isnt really very salty. I admit to being quite surprised by the water retention. What else is in your diet?

Augs

It's packed in water, I don't know what kind. You know I'm doing UD2, so I'm talking about the low cal days and I'm not eating anything else with sodium in it:

Meal 1: dry cottage cheese + oats
Meal 2: tuna + olive oil + cucumber
Meal 3: tuna + olive oil (and maybe some fibrous veggies)
Meal 4 (post-workout): whey protein
Meal 5: dry cottage cheese + flax oil

Augury
06-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Couple of suggestions then:

1) open tin of tuna. drain contents. fill tin of tuna back up with tapwater. drain contents. eat.

2) swap tuna for chicken.

You arent eating anything else salty in your diet. Id be curious to know if the problem goes away by doing 1 or 2. You can only find out by elimination of the obvious really.

It may be the tuna....you may also slowly adapt to it. Remeber that when you deplete glycogen you deplete 3x its weight in water from the muscles. You are a giant empty sponge during the depletion....so your body is looking for any excuse to retain i suppose.

Lemee know.

Vido
06-10-2004, 08:37 PM
I'll try #1 tomorrow and next week. As for #2, I assume that would eliminate the problem as well, but tuna's just easier to prepare and I'm lazy.

Augury
06-10-2004, 08:39 PM
its cheaper than chicken too! I love to take 2 or 3 tins to uni with me. easy to transport and wont go off in hot weather. tuna rocks.

you also get the dubious pleasure of stinking whatever room you eat it in...out. :)