PDA

View Full Version : What to eat to recover from cardio....

Max-Mex
06-10-2004, 11:45 AM
During the summer time, I ride my bike pretty much everywhere (work, gym, errands). This is something I choose to do as it saves me money (no full time job during the summer so I save where I can). 4-5 days out of the week, I have to ride 30 mins to the gym, in 70-90 degree weather. I'll probably burn anywhere between 300-500 cals depending on the intensity of the ride.

My questions is, what can I do to help my body recover, diet wise, to prepare myself for the workout after my bike ride? I make sure I'm hydrated before, during, and after the ride so that's a given. Should I eat something high in simple carbs before I ride and after? How long of a rest should I take from the end of my ride to the start of my lifiting?

Jasonl
06-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Hmm, I would just treat that the same as a workout, whey+dextrose after you get to work/home.

I would try to rest about 4 hours between riding and lifting, if that's at all possible.

Augury
06-10-2004, 12:53 PM
he cant rest much after cycling becasue hes cycling to the gym to work out :( In that situation you are just going to have to make the best of it. Primarily replace the glycogen lost during the ride....so yeah...chug down like 25-40g of glucose/fructose + 15g whey before the ride and say 25g glucose/fructose after. Spend a little while recovering (say 15-30 mins getting changed real slowly lol) abd then go train :) Thats the best advice i can give if it were me doing it.

Augs

HemiVision
06-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Liquid carbs for fast energy... I'd take a sports drink.

ryuage
06-10-2004, 05:51 PM
I dont think simple carbs are required unless the cardio work being performed is at a high intensity and even at that I am not so sure it is required or let me say even more beneficial... I would just worry more about glycogen replenishment in general and have enough fuel to recover from your bike ride, a normal meal would suffice imo

Vido
06-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I dont think simple carbs are required unless the cardio work being performed is at a high intensity and even at that I am not so sure it is required or let me say even more beneficial... I would just worry more about glycogen replenishment in general and have enough fuel to recover from your bike ride, a normal meal would suffice imo

:withstupi

Max-Mex
06-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Good tips. Thanks everyone! Was debating on liquid or snack and it seems it doesn't matter too much. I wish I could rest more after the ride, but the most I can do is 30 mins. I generally take my time dressing and do some light stretching (since I'm already warmed up). I've been eating these Quaker snack bars (120 cals, high in sugar) and they seem to be ok. I should probably buy a box of them. Should I worry about electrolytes (sp?). I heard this term thrown around before and wondered if this is important.

Kromax
06-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Raisins. Works for me.

Holto
06-11-2004, 01:02 PM
I lost my license for a year once

I would ride to the gym (20 mins) and then home

I drank about 50g's of malto and some whey before and after

the most important thing really will be total cals for the week