PDA

View Full Version : critique my bulk diet

ryan-
06-10-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm currently at 165 lbs, I'm looking to hit 180, more if I don't get burnt out first. I've been bulking about 2-3 weeks now and put on 5 lbs as of a week ago. Since bulking I've noticed an increase in strength, just from eating the right foods, it's amazing. This is my second bulk, 2 years ago I started at 130 lbs and bulked up to 160. I'd like some advice/critique's on my diet.

breakfast:
1 wheat bagel
cream cheese
2 cups whole milk
(not enough time for some fancy schmancy breakfast)

lunch:
usually 12" subway meatball or turkey/ham/bacon or a chipotle burrito with chicken, rice, black beans, sour cream, cheese.
(could start packing a lunch but i don't see that happening right now)

dinner:
either chicken breast or 2 cans tuna
rice
2 cups whole milk

post workout:
shake consisting of ice, approx 3 cups whole milk, 1/2 banana, chocolate syrup, peanut butter, whey protein.

I usually end up around 170-200 gram's of protein and 3500 calories. I realize I need to throw some more fruit in there for general nutrition sake (vegetables too but I don't really eat vegetables, bad upbringing I guess).

Any advice or am I good?

-ryan

Vido
06-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Eating more, smaller meals might be beneficial, but it's not that big a deal.

That's not the cleanest diet I've ever seen, but it's decent. The only glaring weakness is a lack of EFA's.

ryan-
06-10-2004, 07:32 PM
I don't really have the time for more meals unfortunately. I get home from work at 6 or 7 depending on traffic, eat dinner, workout, make a shake and maybe watch a movie, then it's time for bed :(

EFA's?

Vido
06-10-2004, 07:34 PM
essential fatty acids, ie., fish oil, flax oil, walnuts, almonds, etc.

ryan-
06-10-2004, 07:41 PM
They help that much eh?

Also, throw out any ideas you have for a cleaner better bulk.

Vido
06-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Ok, upon further review, the post-workout shake isn't that great. Nix the chocolate syrup, the peanut butter, and the whole milk. Mix your whey with some water, and add some dextrose or oats (depending on whether you want to go high or low GI)...you can eat the banana on the side or blend it in. Chocolate syrup isn't good for you in general, and the peanut butter and whole milk have too much fat. You don't want fat post-workout. You should have this shake within 15 minutes of your workout, or as fast as you can. Then, eat some whole food about an hour later before bed. You could even put the whole milk and peanut butter here and call this a meal if you wanted.

A better breakfast would be something like eggs and oats.

If you can make your own lunch, it would certainly be better than Subway.

ryan-
06-10-2004, 09:09 PM
I think I have enough information to make some good changes, thanks everybody! Keep throwing out ideas if you have 'em.

reaver
06-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Add up the protein in that I bet its way on the low side. I am the only one who thinks this?
Your breakfast simply sucks. Don't give time bs. Make it the night before. Omlets nuke well. Have a burger, they nuke good too.
Lunch also low on protein.
I wouldn't worry so much about small meals as getting in three good ones.

ryan-
06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
actually i keep track of protein and it ranges anywhere from 160-230 grams.