PDA

View Full Version : What foods have GOOD fat?

mike107
06-12-2004, 12:46 PM
I am starting my cut, and I understand that in doing so, it is important to eat enough fat (20-30%), mostly coming from good fats. What are some regular foods that contain this so-called "good fat"?

Max-Mex
06-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Avocados
Nuts
Olives (olive oil)
fish

Strider2
06-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Take a look at this (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565). It pretty much gives you all the best foods.

mike107
06-12-2004, 12:56 PM
What about regular peanut butter (JIF, Skippy, etc.)? I don't think it's "natural" peanut butter, but is it still good in terms of fat? I mean, how is it different from natural style peanut butter?

Max-Mex
06-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Yes, but too much salt and sugar. Lower calorie count in natty PB than regular.

waynis
06-15-2004, 05:22 PM
anything with saflower, sunflower, canola, flax oils. salmon has good fats. mayonase, eggs, you can buy tuna in canola oil.

Scott S
06-15-2004, 09:39 PM
I've been supplementing my cut with olive and DAG oils, along with 6 fish oil caps a day.

Augury
06-15-2004, 09:58 PM
I got caught out by the peanut butter issue literally 3 days ago. I bought a big tub of crunchy peanut butter thinking that it was going to be great. even said natural on the jar. However on closer inspection they added a ton of hydrogenated vegtable oil (the devil) to it. Read the label unlike I did :)

Augs

JTyrell710
06-16-2004, 11:32 AM
that hurts augs, im gettin some more crunchy nat. today- if you have the brand @ ur store, i think its called "teddy's" natural peanut butter, the crunchy style is delicious.

dissipate
06-22-2004, 08:27 AM
I got caught out by the peanut butter issue literally 3 days ago. I bought a big tub of crunchy peanut butter thinking that it was going to be great. even said natural on the jar. However on closer inspection they added a ton of hydrogenated vegtable oil (the devil) to it. Read the label unlike I did :)

crap! i read this too late!! argh! i bought a jar of Planters crunchy peanut butter feeling glad that i'd have another protein source (getting tired of chicken/turkey breast and cottage cheese) and only realised i should check for hydrogenated oil after reading this! :bang:

Shark
06-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Costco has great natty PB.. it's a two pack and tastes awesome.

geoffgarcia
06-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Here are some alternatives that I prefer to pb
(saturated/mono/poly)
olive oil is 2/1/10
hemp oil is 1/10/3
gradeseed oil is 1/10/2
udos oil is 1.5/10/3

ryuage
06-22-2004, 10:11 AM
but pb tastes better :)

Vido
06-22-2004, 10:17 AM
I agree that PB is by far the best tasting "good" fat, but it's nutritional breakdown is far from the best. I'd try to get in some other sources (like the ones Max-Mex and Geoff mentioned) first, and then if you still have room for more fat in your diet go ahead and enjoy the PB.

JiggaHertz
06-22-2004, 10:35 AM
I've heard the term "good fats" a lot and understand what are the preferred sources. But I was wondering what actually makes a fat good. I would assume saturated fat is a "bad fat"? So are mono and poly good?

Deathwish
06-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Saturated and Trans fats are bad for you. Mono and poly are good although I forget which is better. I believe poly is better than mono.

mike107
06-23-2004, 12:48 AM
I understand that saturated fat is bad, and that most my fat should come from poly/mono saturated sources. But, what is it that makes saturated fats bad? I mean, I am cutting & around 25% of my calories are coming from fat, but the thing is, a lot of this fat is saturated fat. Is it okay as long as 25% of my cals are from fat, or is it vital that I should eat very little saturated fat? Basically what I'd like to know is, what is it about mono/poly saturated fats that make it so much better than saturated? I know I'm not supposed to eat much saturated fat, but SO many foods contain it, it's hard to stay away from. Thanks, I hope you guys can help me out on this.

Reinier
06-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Fish
Nuts
Olives/Olive oil

Reinier
06-23-2004, 02:24 AM
I understand that saturated fat is bad, and that most my fat should come from poly/mono saturated sources. But, what is it that makes saturated fats bad? I mean, I am cutting & around 25% of my calories are coming from fat, but the thing is, a lot of this fat is saturated fat. Is it okay as long as 25% of my cals are from fat, or is it vital that I should eat very little saturated fat? Basically what I'd like to know is, what is it about mono/poly saturated fats that make it so much better than saturated? I know I'm not supposed to eat much saturated fat, but SO many foods contain it, it's hard to stay away from. Thanks, I hope you guys can help me out on this.

Saturated fat raises blood cholesterol levels which hampers your bloodstream.
Saturated fat raises blood pressure
It does more bad things I forgot.
A little bit, say 10 grams a day or so, which you'll get anyway, is needed for hormone production.

Unsaturated fats give you a good slow decent energy release and help keep your hormone levels in check.

This is a very incomplete answer. I'm disappointed in myself.

Reinier
06-23-2004, 02:26 AM
Here's an article Rob, another WBB member from England, wrote about fats. It's very detailed, it should have your answers.
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=61

mike107
06-23-2004, 03:13 PM
I've started reading the article; it's just the kind of information I was looking for. I'm gonna read the whole thing. Thanks for the help Reiner!

Augury
06-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the link Reiner. Appreciated.

Augs