PDA

View Full Version : The SeeFood Diet

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Maki Riddington
06-14-2004, 08:24 AM
I'm On The SeeFood Diet
I see food I eat it!

I'm back, but this time I'm gonna track my progress until the new year. I have new goals and I will meet them by the new year! So what are they? Well for now it's KISS. Push 315 on the bench press and get my bodyfat down to 11% by September, that is my bodyfat percentage.

So how am I gonna do all this? Below I will outline my training program with my diet to give those that choose to tag along an idea of what my structure looks like.

Training Program

Day 1 Upper Body

Heavy Chest Day
2 sets of 3-4 reps flat bench press
Tricep exercise 1x8
Bicep exercise 1x8
Unsupported Military Press 2x6
Rows 6x6
Forearm work

Day 2 Lower Body

Box squat 12x2
Hamstring Curl 3x4
Good mornings (variations as well) 3-4x6
Calf Raises 3x25

Day 3 Rest

Day 4 Upper Body

Pause Bench 6x1 5 second hold at the bottom
Speed Bench 8x2
Tricep 6x6
Bicep 2x6
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 2x8
Chin Ups 2x6
Ab Work

Day 5 Lower Body

Heavy Squat 2x3-4
Stiff Deads 2x10
Hyper Extensions 2x15
Calf raises 3x6

Day 6 Upper Body

Pause Bench 6x1 (5 second pause)
Rack Hold 2x1
Triceps 2x8
Biceps 2x8
Close Grip Pulldowns 2x6
Lateral Raises 2x6
Forearms

Day 7 Rest

For biceps and triceps I rotate movements from a pool of exercises.

Biceps: Incline dumbbell curls, Preacher curls, Standing dumbbell curls, Spider curls.

Triceps: Tate presses, Cable pressdowns, One armed dumbbell overhead extensions, Skull crushers.

My main goal is too hit 315x4. I'm currently at 280x4. My smaller goals are to hit a deep 450 squat. I'm currently at 410x2, no equipment. My dead is probably at 450 but I never deadlift so I could care less about it for the time being. To test my lower back strength I pull 90% of my approximate max every 6 weeks to track my progress.

Problem Areas

Weak biceps and hamstrings.

Tight Muscles

I have diagnosed myself (through self testing) to have very tight glutes which contribute to my lower back pain and tight external hip rotators. My right external rotator cuff is tight and I suffer from tight inertnal rotators after a heavy bench day. I also suffer from a tight supinator muscle in my forearm which is causing me to fall behind in my biceps area. My pecs are also very tight as well.

To offset these problems I have started to perform CR stretching and some fascia relase stretching which is quite painful. I also try to perfom vigorous self massage to my muscles which has helped quite a bit. All this is being done because I can't afford to see a proper massage therapist because it will take many sessions to get me back into working shape.

Nutrition

Very simple. I am using a low cal regimen through the week and am carbing up every 5-6 days. As my bodyfat drops I will increase the frequency of the carbs up accordingly. Sometimes I carb up for 2 days instead of one. It all depends if I feel I'm spilling over or not.

Supplements

Nitrean, PVL whey, sometimes Nectar, an EC stack and Thermocin for now.

TheGimp
06-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Let me be the first to say...

:spam:

:)

Good luck!

chops
06-14-2004, 08:41 AM
:spam:

here's a supersized good luck wish

Focused70
06-14-2004, 08:44 AM
:withstupi

and here's some more :spam:

Stash

twcolabear
06-14-2004, 08:54 AM
hey! I'm on the same diet :)
Good luck

Maki Riddington
06-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Luck is not needed. How cocky is that?;)

Isaac Wilkins
06-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Good to see you hitting journal land again, man.

Show me something.

Maki Riddington
06-14-2004, 07:35 PM
I'll try Borris.:) I'll be one happy camper when I hit 315x4. That's been my goal since day one. Now it's finally in sight........

rookiebldr
06-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Maki, the stretching you speak of, are you performing at specific times of the day or during your routines?

And luck is definitely not needed, just get the job done.

Maki Riddington
06-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Early morning at work. My workouts are in the evening. Why do you ask Rook?

Maki Riddington
06-15-2004, 12:21 AM
Upper Body

Heavy Chest Day
2 sets of 3-4 reps flat bench press
285x4 for 2 sets

Tricep exercise 1x8
Cable Pressdown 200x8

Bicep exercise 1x8
Standing Dumbbell Curl 65x6

Unsupported Military Press 2x6
I did dumbbell shoulder presses instead
80x8 for 2 sets

Seated Cable Row
200x6 for 6 sets

I skipped forearms as I was rushed for time. My bench was smooth and I am confident I could have done 290x4. I goofed on some of my lifts, some I lifted more then I was supposed to while others I lifted less. Other then that I will have to spend some time tomorrow morning stretching my left external hip rotator as it's causing the left side of my lower back to spasm as well as my glutes and chest.

On a sad note, my Obachan (grandmother on my moms side) passed away on Sunday. My mother woke me up with the news. She was 86 years old. I miss her a lot but it was for the best. She had suffered a stroke a while back and was paralyzed on her left side. I believe she passed on in her sleep. I'm so glad I got to see her last year. I just wish she could have had a chance to meet my wife and hold our child.

Life's way too short. Live, love, laugh is what life should be about, and of course family.

Whatever........

BCC
06-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Good luck Maki, and nice benching.

Budiak
06-15-2004, 03:18 AM
Bad news, Mak. The results are in.

Seefood diet? Don't work. I've been on it for 14 weeks. Ain't gained **** but cholesterol and a sweaty asscrack.

Get out while you can.

The asscrack is more due to living in the Central CA valley...but...you know. Fat and such.

Damn, thats some serious benching.

HobbesAB
06-15-2004, 04:35 AM
I'm On The SeeFood Diet
I see food I eat it!

I have diagnosed myself (through self testing) to have very tight glutes which contribute to my lower back pain and tight external hip rotators. My right external rotator cuff is tight and I suffer from tight inertnal rotators after a heavy bench day.

Supplements

Nitrean, PVL whey, sometimes Nectar, an EC stack and Thermocin for now.

The external/internal rotator cuff problem - would a shoulder horn harness help fix that? By shoulder harness, I am referring to the attached photo. I'm assuming you are not referring to your hip rotators since you feel it after benching.

Also, why/how are you using an EC stack in addition to Thermocin?

Anthony
06-15-2004, 05:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. :(

Nice benching, though! I'm glad you started another journal. On your pressdowns are your elbows locked at your sides and act like a hinge, or do you 'push' the weight down? I'm just wondering, 'cause I have no clue how some of you do 200+ on that damn exercise. :)

Relentless
06-15-2004, 06:00 AM
dude, I don't know if it's just my current fad or what

but try pilates for that flexibility issue

I have only been doing it a week and have noticed significant gains in leg/body flexibility as well as core strength

Paul Stagg
06-15-2004, 06:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. 86 years is a long life. I'll have a good thought for you and your family.

I'm with Cal. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think yoga and/or pilates might provide good benefits for strength athletes - specifically PLers and those who train like them, but bodybuilders, too. I took a yoga class while on vacation, and not only was it hard (in a different way than lifting), but really highlighted some areas where my flexibility is subpar, and where continuing to do yoga would probably help with injury avoidance and maybe even improve performance. Given the similarities between yoga and pilates, both would probably have similar benefits.

Are you working with a chiro or PT on your issues? If not, I suggest you do.

Maki Riddington
06-15-2004, 01:14 PM
BCC Thanks.

Budiak The SeeFood diet is all about eating.:) I'm pretty passive when it comes to nutrition. Of course if i ever want to drop below 10% I'm gonna have to change some of my dietary habits.

HobbesAB As usual, my internal rotator cuffs were very tight this morning upon waking. I usually lean up against a doorknob or a dull point and work on releasing the tight areas. It's a very effective method, which works almost right away.

My rotator cuffs are not weak, they're just tight. My external hip rotaors are also very tight. To asess them, lie down flat on the ground with your feet together. Now relax your legs, if your feet turn outwards they're tight.

As for the EC stack and Thermocin, I'm using the EC stack until I order some Thermocin. Then I'll drop the caffiene.

Anthony My elbows are locked and act like a hinge, although I do use the other method as well sometimes.

Cal/Paul My soon to be business partner will be teaching me some pilates. We're teaming up to combine a pilates/strength conditioning regimen for our clients. Were also looking at throwing in some Power Yoga as well which will give me a chance to work on my flexibility. I've also been meaning to go see a massage therapist to work on me as I'm so far gone. But with work constraints and other priorities I can never seem to make the time.

Hatred
06-15-2004, 01:30 PM
My kinda diet....Glad to see you started a journal.

Maki Riddington
06-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Lower Body

Box squats
225x2 for 12 sets with 60 second rest intervals.

Because I don't have a proper box I have to use the Reebok step aerobic box shown here.

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/step1.html

I used 4 notches instead of the two shown in the link. What I tend to do is switch between increasing the load on my box squat days and the depth. So some days I'l drop it down two notches so I'm squating very deep with a lighter weight while other times I'll be squatting heavier with less of a range of motion involved.

Standing hamstring curl
75x6 for 3 sets

Calf Raise
85x25 for 2 sets

I was pretty much done after this. It had been a long day (13 hours) so I was ready to go home. I skipped the Good Mornings because my lower back was feeling stiff and skimped on the last set of calf raises because the stiffness in this muscle was starting to set in already.

Update

Just woke up, my lower back is rock hard and it's very stiff. I've got to work on stretching it out today along with my glutes. Today's a rest day which is much needed.

Focused70
06-16-2004, 09:35 AM
What? No surimi or nigiri sushi?

:spam: btw. Good luck, Maki.

Stash

Anthony
06-16-2004, 10:25 AM
I've had no problems using the same aerobic steps for box squats.

ectx
06-16-2004, 10:33 AM
OMG! Maki has a journal! Dude, you work out? hehe. So I take it you're leaning down again? I look forward to harassing you in the months to come.

Saturday Fever
06-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Look into sled dragging and constrasting showers to alleviate that sore back and general stiffness. For the contrasting showers to 2 minutes hot 2 minutes cold for 10 minutes or so. You'll hate it, but it's ever so helpful.

brianbob123
06-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Sorry about your grandmother...

I have a similar workout as you, except only 4x per week. I'm guessing you will rotate each week whether you do 3 leg or 3 upper workouts? To try to keep it simple I am going to do the same excercises for the body parts at least for a while... but since you know much more than I do I am willing to bet you have a good reason for it.

Maki Riddington
06-16-2004, 05:45 PM
SobaAddict70: I've been pretty much turned off by sushi after an all you can eat binge I had about a month and a half ago.:)

ectx: I'll be sure to return the favor.;)

Saturday Fever: This stiffness is due to tight muscles brought on by a lack of stretching over an extended period of time. The sled work would only make things worse. I actually worked on my glutes this morning and relieved some of the tightness in my lower back. It's better now.

brianbob123: I'm keeping my legs at twice a week because they are much bigger and stronger then my upper body.

I've found that creating a pool of specific exercises and then drawing from them according to various phases in a routine works wonders in terms of strength development.

Maki Riddington
06-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Upper Body

Reflections

Come Thursdays, I'm pooped. Most likely because I've already logged 47 hours at work. Plus, my cals are low which makes me feel more exhausted.

My lower back was killing me today. After stretching my glutes and popping 600mg of Ibeprofun (sp?) I felt better. However I made sure to baby my lower back during my workout this evening.

Pause Bench Press (5 second hold at the bottom and 1 minute rest periods inbetween each set)
235x1 for 6 sets

Bench Hold
325x1 for 2 sets

Close Grip Lat Pulldown
200x6
210x6

Lateral Raise
40x6

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press
60x6 Too easy but I had to be careful of my lower back

Incline Dumbbell Bicep Curl
40x6
25x6

Tricep Press Down (used Lat machine)
100x6 for 6 sets

Swiss Ball Crunches
85x10
85x8

I'm out. Time to go home and make the wife dinner. Hmmmm.... I thought it was the other way around? :scratch:

Maki Riddington
06-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Lower Body

Skipped it

Reflections

My back was still bothering me so I stretched it out and then played on the Bosu ball for a bit. On a brighter note I only had a few clients in the morning so i had the rest of the day off to bask in the warm. My wife and I ened up heading out to a place called Gary Point for the afternoon.

WillKuenzel
06-19-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm out. Time to go home and make the wife dinner. Hmmmm.... I thought it was the other way around? :scratch:
I'm always having to cook for my girlfriend. She knows where the kitchen is but that's about it. :p She does have a great lasagna though.

Have you thought about going to a chiro about the back?

Maki Riddington
06-19-2004, 10:54 PM
No, chiro has never done much but give me 5 minutes of relief.

Maki Riddington
06-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Upper Body Workout

Skipped becaue I'm sick. I have no energy and my food intake has been horribe. I doubt I'll workout tonight either.

Beast
06-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Sorry about the illness and your gma.

I'm looking forward to seeing your gains hitting chest so many times per week. You're one big-ass Asian!

Maki Riddington
06-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Lower Body

Skipped it again.

Reflections

I'm not feeling good and have a head cold now. I've been sweating like a pig the last couple days and my food intake has been horrible. I managed to get one shake and a bowl of cherries in me yesterday. I just don't feel like I can get a decent workout in right now and continue fighting this cold.

I passed out at 9pm last night and got up at 6am this morning and I feel better now. I have a slight fever and I'm still congested. I'll take some cold medicine and try an upper body workout tonight. I'll probably do a lower volume workout so I don't totally exhaust myself. I'm also in the midst of moving so it's tough as well with my long hours at work and trying to pack.

Relentless
06-23-2004, 09:02 AM
sounds like taking a day or two off to recuperate maybe ain't a bad idea...

fuzz
06-23-2004, 09:12 AM
I'm On The SeeFood Diet
I see food I eat it!

I'm back, but this time I'm gonna track my progress until the new year. I have new goals and I will meet them by the new year! So what are they? Well for now it's KISS. Push 315 on the bench press and get my bodyfat down to 11% by September, that is my bodyfat percentage.

So how am I gonna do all this? Below I will outline my training program with my diet to give those that choose to tag along an idea of what my structure looks like.
[snip routine]

Hey Maki, nice to see a journal from you. Your routine looks interesting. Six days a week seems like a lot, but the relative volume seems to rather low to make up for it. Is your recovery ability generally pretty good?

My main goal is too hit 315x4. I'm currently at 280x4. My smaller goals are to hit a deep 450 squat. I'm currently at 410x2, no equipment. My dead is probably at 450 but I never deadlift so I could care less about it for the time being. To test my lower back strength I pull 90% of my approximate max every 6 weeks to track my progress.

Wow, you are a lot stronger then I thought. Nice work!

Tight Muscles

I have diagnosed myself (through self testing) to have very tight glutes which contribute to my lower back pain and tight external hip rotators. My right external rotator cuff is tight and I suffer from tight inertnal rotators after a heavy bench day. I also suffer from a tight supinator muscle in my forearm which is causing me to fall behind in my biceps area. My pecs are also very tight as well.

To offset these problems I have started to perform CR stretching and some fascia relase stretching which is quite painful. I also try to perfom vigorous self massage to my muscles which has helped quite a bit. All this is being done because I can't afford to see a proper massage therapist because it will take many sessions to get me back into working shape.

Can you go into more detail regarding this? I've have a lot of issues with muscle imbalances, and am currently trying every method possible to work on it. I've seen some chiros, which was not too helpful, and I've had ART done, which was quite helpful but expensive. Do you get ART done? What is CR stretching? Also, how do you do the fascia release - is this done with a foam roller? What kind of techniques do you use for self massage?

I don't know if you read t-mag or rugged, but there are some great articles there for these kinds of issues. Especially the latest series by Eric Cressy and Mike Robertson, Neanderthal No More, and the Out of Kilter series by Ian King.

Okay, I'm done picking your brain, now =).

Maki Riddington
06-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Hey Maki, nice to see a journal from you. Your routine looks interesting. Six days a week seems like a lot, but the relative volume seems to rather low to make up for it. Is your recovery ability generally pretty good?

*** No, it's like anyone elses. However the routine is structured to allow for my third upper body workout to be skipped if I feel like I'm overly fatigued.

Wow, you are a lot stronger then I thought. Nice work!

*** Thanks, but I don't feel like I'm that strong compared to alot of guys here or at the gyms I train at. When I can squat 500 and bench 400 under a bodyweight of 220 then I might feel a bit better in the strength department.

Can you go into more detail regarding this? I've have a lot of issues with muscle imbalances, and am currently trying every method possible to work on it. I've seen some chiros, which was not too helpful, and I've had ART done, which was quite helpful but expensive. Do you get ART done? What is CR stretching? Also, how do you do the fascia release - is this done with a foam roller? What kind of techniques do you use for self massage?

*** The muscle tightness is my own fault. My internal rotator problem is caused by my heavy bench days which is a normal reaction. So I'm not overly worried about this area. As for my lower back, the pain has everything to do with my glutes. I simply have not stretched enough so it's finally caught up with me.

As for ART, I have not tried it, 'yet,' due to the cost. When I refer to "CR" I'm simply referring to the contract relax method. Static stretching is pretty useless in my opinion although it can play a useful role in certain situations.

I was taught to how to stretch the fascia by my massage therapist several years ago. My biggest area in terms of fascia release is in my chest region. I usually use the chin up bar or a lat pull down bar and I also use dumbbells as well. Fascia stretching is very intense, there's a burning and ripping sensation in the muscle when you apply this method properly. I believe there are some articles in T-mag and in Ruggedmag on the subject.

I don't know if you read t-mag or rugged, but there are some great articles there for these kinds of issues. Especially the latest series by Eric Cressy and Mike Robertson, Neanderthal No More, and the Out of Kilter series by Ian King.

*** Yes I've read them. Those are about the only sites I pay attention to. They have some very knowledgable strength coaches writing for these publications.

Btw, what problems do you suffer from?

dissipate
06-23-2004, 06:36 PM
hey maki, are you alright? feeling better, or is the slight fever still there?

ugh moving and working long hours. it might help if you take a workout break and rest and recover from that cold. i think your immune system went down a bit from working and spending more time after that packing. what do you think?

take care and i hope you get better soon! :)

Maki Riddington
06-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Upper Body

Even though I'm still sick I figured I'd half the volume of my workout and give it a shot.

Flat Bench Press
295x4
295x3

The bar felt heavy and I was huffing and puffing after the first set.
The second one made that sick feeling in your stomach start up.

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
190x6

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
80x6

One Armed Dumbbell Tricep Extension
40x6

Standing Dumbbell Bicep Curl
70x4

Reflections

Can you say stupid move? I'm bagged now and I'm shaking as I type. I'm lucky I even got through this workout. I'm off work now and I'm going straight home to have a nice hot shower, a shake and then to bed. I cancelled all my clients for tomorrow so I could get some rest, plus I have to move tomorrow, yuck!

fuzz
06-24-2004, 09:18 AM
*** Thanks, but I don't feel like I'm that strong compared to alot of guys here or at the gyms I train at. When I can squat 500 and bench 400 under a bodyweight of 220 then I might feel a bit better in the strength department.

True, there is always room for improvement. Still, those are respectable numbers and we need more trainers that walk the walk.

*** The muscle tightness is my own fault. My internal rotator problem is caused by my heavy bench days which is a normal reaction. So I'm not overly worried about this area. As for my lower back, the pain has everything to do with my glutes. I simply have not stretched enough so it's finally caught up with me.

As for ART, I have not tried it, 'yet,' due to the cost. When I refer to "CR" I'm simply referring to the contract relax method. Static stretching is pretty useless in my opinion although it can play a useful role in certain situations.

With CR, do you contract and relax the agonist or the antagonist? I know for some of my stretches, contracting the antagonist really helps, for example with hamstring stretching. I've never tried contracting the agonist.

Btw, what problems do you suffer from?

A lot. Right hip/shoulder is higher then left, so one leg is longer then the other. Some scoliosis. Excessive lordosis and kyphosis. Tight hip flexors and hamstrings, in fact the whole right back side of my body is tight. Doing squats to a good depth is pretty hard for me, and requires a lot of stretching before hand.

JustinF
06-25-2004, 03:33 AM
Nice pressing. Moving while not sick=bad. Moving while sick=sux0rz! :(

ectx
06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Maki, as your resident microbiologist/immunologist, I say fear teh bug. Bacteria and viruses are extremely taxing on your immune system. So is lifting. Stupid move. Pendejo. Rest up, and feel better...and I thouroughly hate you for being more than respectably strong even when you're sick.

Maki Riddington
06-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Maki, as your resident microbiologist/immunologist, I say fear teh bug. Bacteria and viruses are extremely taxing on your immune system. So is lifting. Stupid move. Pendejo. Rest up, and feel better...and I thouroughly hate you for being more than respectably strong even when you're sick.

*** Lol, thanks Doc.

Update

After moving for 10 hours on Thursday I went to bed, got 6 hours sleep and then prepared myself for my buddies stag. I believe I totalled 4 hours sleep over a two day period as we went away to Whistler over the weekend. On an ultra cool note, apparently during the stag I was referred to as the "big guy." Not that I am but it's kinda neat to hear people take note of me like that. I'm so used to being around people who're bigger then me so once in awhile it's refreshing to hear this kinda stuff.

If I can figure out my camera I'll post a video clip of the trip and a couple pictures. Good times indeed is all I'll say.

As for my workouts, I'm in the process of working out a new plan as I have just finished up on my strength phase which lasted 8 weeks. I plan to start up some cardio soon as I have some Clen being sent to me. I want to start my bulking phase mid September and I need to get down to 11%.

Maki Riddington
06-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Upper Body

I was pretty much a mess on Monday when I did this workout. I was sleep deprived and extremely tiered from moving. Plus my lower back, errectors, obliques were cramped up and my forearms were absolutely killing me.

Flat Bench Press
285x2 for 4 sets

I had to stop on set 4 because my forearms were in so much pain after releasing the weight at the top. I have some problems with my supinator muscles. It's actually quite a common injury that you'll find most people complain about. Palms facing upwards, the pain is located on the medial aspect of the radius towards the base of the wrist. It's sore as I type this out. I think I may have to see a Doc about this and get a referral to a sport Doc because I'm sick of diagnosing myself. I think part of the problem has to do with some sort of adhesion deep within my forearms. My forearms are extremely tight and may be part of the problem. I have been stretching my wrist flexors out and have started icing so we'll see what happens.

One Armed Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press
60x6 for 2 sets

My obliques starting cramping up during this exercise. I'm a mess. I HATE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bicep Dumbbell Spider Curl
25x12 for 1 set

Chin Up
BWx6 (BW= Body Weight)

Tricep Extensions (to the chest)
45x6 for 6 sets

At the end of this workout I was tired, in pain and really grumpy.

Reflections

The next day I spent another 10 hours humping furniture and boxes to our new place. I was more then fatigued and my back was killing me. I skipped my workout and had my wife walk on my back later on which made it feel a whole lot better. This morning I iced it and stretched it out and it feels a lot better.

We'll see how it reacts to a light leg workout tonight. On a better note, we're moved and it's a holiday tomorrow so I can sleep in, wake up have breakfast and hit the outdoor pool in our complex and lounge for a bit. Then we'll go shopping for some new furniture. Can you say IKEA.

Maki Riddington
06-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Lower Body

After postponing my leg workout I got around to finally doing it tonight. I was a bit hesitant as my back has been really bothering me. However I'm a hard core lifter.;)

Front Squats
225x6 for 2 sets
245x6

My back tightened up on the first and second set. I've got to make sure I take the right precautions tonight so I don't wake up sore tomorrow.

Hamstring Curl
75x6 for 4 sets

Leg Extensions
100x15 for 2 sets

Seated Calf Raise
90x25
120x15

Reflections

At this time I feel like I'm a walking mess of soft tissue and I'm feeling pretty banged up in terms of my self confidence. I know I should be lifting a lot more but I need to be very careful right now. My weight has gone down a bit but I need to start my cardio which I can't seem to start because of my hectic work schedule. Then again where there's a will there's a way. Maybe I'm just moaning too much?

BlueAura
06-30-2004, 11:28 PM
Is it a lower back problem?

I had a lower back problem a few weeks ago I found constant stretching helped a lot. Also supporting the lower back when lay down (by using rolled up towel in the curve of the back) and maintaining correct posture as much as possible. I'm sure you've already tried these but worth a shot.

Maybe a Shiatsu massage? :D

Saint Patrick
07-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Nice work on those front squats.

Is that a plate-loaded leg extension?

Maki Riddington
07-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Is it a lower back problem?

I had a lower back problem a few weeks ago I found constant stretching helped a lot. Also supporting the lower back when lay down (by using rolled up towel in the curve of the back) and maintaining correct posture as much as possible. I'm sure you've already tried these but worth a shot.

Maybe a Shiatsu massage? :D

*** It's partially due to my glutes but I believe it has to do with the seated barbell good morning I performed 3 weeks ago. It's a strained muscles that won't heal because I keep aggravating it. Plus the surrounding muscle are tight which doesn't help either.

Maki Riddington
07-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Nice work on those front squats.

Is that a plate-loaded leg extension?

*** My front squats should easily be in the 300's but I can't afford to make my situation any worse. So, for now I'll proceed with lots of caution. As for the leg extensions, they were done on a machine. Thanks Patty.

Maki Riddington
07-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Upper Body

My back was a bit tender yesterday but otherwise I felt like I had a decent workout.

Paused Bench (feet up on the bench)
245x1 (held 5 seconds at the bottom) for 5 sets

Ballistic Bench Press (on the Smith machine)
80x2 for 6 sets

The point of this exercise is to teach the muscles how to produce as much force as possible. Placing my feet up on the bench and using 25% of my aproximate 1RM I lower the bar down to my chest. As soon as it touches I throw it up as forcefully as possible and then as it comes down out of the air I catch it with straight arms.

Seated Cable Rows
220x6
230x6

These felt fairly easy. I could have gone heavier but was worried about my back.

Unsupported Military Press
150x6 for 2 sets

I struggled on these and feel that I'm very weak in this lift. I should be pushing 225 imo. I'm gonna work on trying to bring up this lift to a more respectable number.

Bicep Dumbbell Curl
60x8

Spider Curl (w/dumbbells)
30x8

French Press
105x8 for 2 sets

Focused70
07-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Nice leg session, Maki. Upper bod session is amazing!

Whining is good for the soul. (Or something like that.) :D

Stash

Anthony
07-05-2004, 06:09 AM
On the ballistic press, how far does the bar travel out of your hands? Seems like a lot of shock to absorb as you catch it.

Maki Riddington
07-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Probably 3-4 inches. I'm guessing though. Also keep in mind that the load used is only 20-25% of your 1RM.

Maki Riddington
07-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Upper Body

Flat Bench Press
300x1 for 3 sets

On the first set my lower back cramped up on me. It was downhill from there. My bar speed was good going up but my damn back was holding me back. So I ended up settling for singles.

V Bar Pull Down
200x6
220x6

Machine Shoulder Laterals
180x6 for 2 sets

Tricep Cable Pressdown
205x6 for 6 sets

I switched grips with each set. I went from wide to medium to close.

Dumbbell Spider Curl
30x12

Barbell Bicep Curl
135x3

This was done right after my bench press. I was curious to see if I could do complete this lift as it has been one of my goals ever since I've started working out. To curl a 45 aside on a barbell always looked cool and it felt even better after I did it. However I was not satisfied as my lower back cramped up on the 3rd rep and was forced to stop. I felt I could have gotten a good 6 reps out. There's always next time though.

Reflections

I'm a procrastinator. I've been one for the last 8 years. A really bad one, that's why the updates are always late. And now that I'm gonna be a Dad it's time to stop being one so I can accomplish my goals. Yes, in about 6 months I will be called, "Big Daddy Mac," well, "Daddy Mac" will suffice.:) Hopefully by then I'll be bigger so the name fits....hehe.

Anyways, my personal training is going well. I have upwards of 18 clients but would like to have at least 25 by next year. To do this I have to go private. First, I have to get my butt in gear and get my website designed and pick a name that fits. I know what needs to be done but something is always holding me back from moving on. It's frusterating a lot of the time.

As of late I've been struggling to get organized and am drowining myself in work with nothing to show for my efforts. I need a good swift kick in the rear to get me up and moving and on track. For now I'm gonna see where training takes me. It may not take me anywhere which means I may have to consider a career change which I've been contemplating.

I'm currently looking at becoming a police officer. That's all I know for now.

rookiebldr
07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Hey Big Daddy Mac. Congrats dude on that. :)

Great curling and benching but I hope you didn't do that curl in the squat rack. ;)

Now stop procastinating and make some dough for the little one!

Manveet
07-06-2004, 06:34 PM
now that I'm gonna be a Dad it's time to stop being one so I can accomplish my goals. Yes, in about 6 months I will be called, "Big Daddy Mac," well, "Daddy Mac" will suffice. Hopefully by then I'll be bigger so the name fits....hehe.

:eek:

Congrats man.

Btw, when did you decide to become a police officer of all things?

Maki Riddington
07-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Rookie: Yes, of all places it was done in the squat rack. But don't worry, tonight its' front squats. I'm gonna represent!

Manveet: It's been on my mind since high school. I got denied acceptance to police camp in high school and it's been on the back burner ever since. My grandad was a police chief in Quebec.

John0101
07-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Hey man, congrats on becoming a father. Becoming a father is a big step, your life aint about you anymore and instead its gonna be about the family.

good luck on becoming a pig, errr... Cop ;)

Maki Riddington
07-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Lower Body

Short and sweet. Yes, again, due to my back I cut it short.

Front Squat
245x6
255x6
265x6

I just popped some muscle relaxants to calm my back and am just about to take a nice hot shower.

Anthony
07-07-2004, 04:32 AM
Congrats Maki!! That's great to hear!

Oh, and nice bench. :)

JustinF
07-07-2004, 05:23 AM
'Congrats man...that's great news.

Coke
07-07-2004, 06:04 AM
Nice quick work Pops - :D ...congrats!

Maki Riddington
07-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Update

I definitely pulled something during last nights workout. My mid rght back muscle is hurting me this morning.

Back to the policing work for a second. I was waatching NYPD 24/7 last night and it made me want to be a cop even more. I'm very confident I'd make a good cop although my wife says that it's risky work and that she'd be worrying about me more often if I ever became one. Right now I'm just thinking about it.............

Mystic Eric
07-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Upper Body

Reflections

I'm a procrastinator. I've been one for the last 8 years. A really bad one, that's why the updates are always late. And now that I'm gonna be a Dad it's time to stop being one so I can accomplish my goals. Yes, in about 6 months I will be called, "Big Daddy Mac," well, "Daddy Mac" will suffice.:) Hopefully by then I'll be bigger so the name fits....hehe.

:eek: Wow Maki! Congradulations on becoming a soon to be father. How come you didn't tell me this when I went over to your place a few weeks ago? It really amazes me the gradual transformation you've gone through over the past 4 years that I've known you. I mean as evidenced with your quote above, your jokes/humor are still lame but your growth as a person has been amazing. Just to think, in a little while, your kid can come to know me as "Uncle Eric" :D

BCC
07-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Good lord, walking talking dead man. You don't love me anymore, do you Eric :(

Maki Riddington
07-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Eric: No, it won't be "Uncle Eric," it will be "Crazy Uncle Eric." I'll be sure to educate our child on how to cope with weirdos such as yourself. Thanks buddy.

Upper Body

I missed my upper body workout on Friday and pushed it over to Saturday which means I missed my lower body workout which was supposed to be on Saturday. So, on Saturday I did my upper body workout which was supposed to be done on Friday.

Paused Flat Bench Press (feet up on the bench)
250x1 for 5 sets (5 second pause at the bottom of the movement)

Ballistic Flat Bench Press (feet up off the ground)
85x2 for 6 sets

Wide Grip Cabe Rows (using the pulldown bar)
110x8 for 8 sets

Unsupported Military Press
160x6
160x4

Tricep One Armed Dumbbell Extension
45x6

Machine Preacher Curl
90x10 for 2 sets

Reflections

It was an ok workout but I think I was a bit depleted so I felt kind of tired. Since this pregnancy I've been feeling fatigued. I suppose it's because I'm a lot more stressed then usual. I've also been stressed out more because I have to pick up the slack and start working more as my wife is going back to school.

The things you do to get ahead seem so tough at times because taking that initial step backwards to get ahead seems like it's gonna be so difficult.

Maki Riddington
07-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Upper Body

My back is slowly getting better but I don't want to rush things so I changed my heavy day a bit until I get better.

Flat Bench Press (Slow Eccentrics, 6 seconds down, 1 up)
255x1
260x1
265x1
270x1
275x1

Reverse Grip Flat Bench Press
135x6 for 6 sets

Shoulder Lateral Machine Raise
180x6 for 2 sets

Close Grip Lat Pulldown
220x6

Tricep French Press
100x6 for 6 sets

Dumbbell Hammer Curls
50x6
55x6

Reflections

My abs are starting to come out! I've started taking Yohimbine (8mg) in the morning on an empty stomach with some caffiene. I take one at 6am and one at 10am. I'm out of Ephedrine so I figured now would be the time to dig into the bottle I had sitting in my cupboard.

I've looked some ore into police work and I'm pretty sure this may be my new career. I'm going to talk witha recruiter and see if he can give me some more info. I figure I'll be putting in my application in about 1.5 years. I'm gonna get my firearms license, a gun permit, volunteer at the community police station, get involved in a martial art as well as learn a second language. Hopefully that will beef up my application enough.

ryuage
07-13-2004, 05:19 PM
yah yohimbine will stimulate that stubborn fat :) try .2mg/kg of bodyweight with 200 mg caffeine in the morning on an empty stomach, thats what lylemcd recommends anyhow..

good luck with the police stuff

Anthony
07-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Maki, talk to Adam M. ... he's also looking into police work and has gone through some of the testing, etc.

Beast
07-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Is it very hard to become a cop in Canada, Maki?

Maki Riddington
07-13-2004, 07:13 PM
No, but one should make sure that their background is clean and that their mind is clear of all negative things. Taking a polygraph test is not gonna be fun if I have my application accepted.

One other bad thing, I have to start cardio because the physical equires me to run 1.5 miles in under 11 minutes. Boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Maki Riddington
07-13-2004, 07:14 PM
try .2mg/kg of bodyweight with 200 mg caffeine in the morning on an empty stomach, thats what lylemcd recommends anyhow..

*** I know. The problem is that the first dose had me flying. I want to take it easy as I have a tendancy to get carried away with thermos and such.

Maki Riddington
07-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Upper Body.......Again

Yes, it was lower body but my buddy "forced" me to train my traps, shoulders and abs instead. Ya I'm easy to persuade.

Reverse Dumbbell Flys super setted with Seated Trap Shrugs
20x12 ss 105x15
20x10 ss 105x12
20x8 ss 105x10
20x6 ss 105x10

Standing Barbell Presses ss with 45 Pound Plate Raises
135x14 ss 45x10
135x12 ss 45x8
135x9 ss 45x8
135x8 ss 45x6

Cable Laterals
40x8
40x8
40x6
40x4

Decline Ab Crossovers
Bwx12
Bwx12
Bwx12
Bwx12

Straight Leg Raises
Bwx10
Bwx10
Bwx8
Bwx6

Ab Roller
Bwx15
Bwx15
Bwx10
Bwx10

Seated Calf Raises
45x20
90x12

I'm determined to do legs tomorrow, even though it's my day off and I have to do GPP with one of my clients. My abs are so fatigued I can't even sit up properly. Ouch!

Exnor
07-14-2004, 03:03 AM
Sometimes I am glad to workout alone, due to issues like you said. Saying that there are times I could really use a helping hand and some support/shouting while lifting.

Do you actually workout with him as your partner?

GGP? You talking about the global positioning software?

Maki Riddington
07-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Exnor: No, he's not my workout partner. His workouts have way too much volume for my taste. Last nights took a good 1.5 hours to complete and I'm very weak this morning. The guy is a solid 225 at 12%, and feels that hard core high volume workouts are a great method and the way to get big. He snickers at my "scientifically" calculated workouts.

GPP is short for "General Physical Preparedness." It's a way to get your cardiovascular conditioning in while working on strength, flexibility and recovery. See the thread I started in the BB forums.

Focused70
07-14-2004, 10:02 AM
No matter, you're on your way to being a HYOOOOOGE mofo. :D

Nice avatar. heh.

Stash

Paul Stagg
07-14-2004, 10:31 AM
It was an ok workout but I think I was a bit depleted so I felt kind of tired. Since this pregnancy I've been feeling fatigued. I suppose it's because I'm a lot more stressed then usual.

Being pregnant will do that to you, I hear.

Congrats, Maki. You're going to make a great dad.

Think long and hard about your career. There isn't much money to be made in fitness unless you get an advanced degree and become a SC or writer (or both), generally you'll be looking at an awful lot of hard work, hours, maybe your own business.

I'm sure you'll do what's right for you and your family.

AstronautJones
07-14-2004, 12:48 PM
You're lucky, there's a Gracie Jiu Jitsu school in your area (Vancouver right?) www.marcussoares-bjj.com

The link didn't load all the way for me, maybe you'll have more luck. But the guy's name is Marcus Soares and he's a 6th degree black belt under Carlson Gracie. . . If you're interested.

ryuage
07-14-2004, 03:31 PM
*** I know. The problem is that the first dose had me flying. I want to take it easy as I have a tendancy to get carried away with thermos and such.

yah i dont respond to the usual ec or clen... but yohimbine... my hand is trembling and I can't keep it still haha... Every morning we salute the flag and here is my hand shaking crazily, everyone thought i was on crack.

AstronautJones
07-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Oh and if you're interested here's the lineage + other info of that BJJ instructor in your area. http://www.bjj.org/a/people/soares-marcus-vinius-de-macedo.html

Btw, congrats on becoming a soon-to-be dad. Great journal as well, your workouts are looking pretty solid.

Maki Riddington
07-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks AstronautJones. I will look into it. My personal time is very limited nowadays so I have to make sure their schedule works for me.

Edit: I just checked the first link. I can go on Sundays!!! I'll be sure to check it out soon. Thanks again.

ryuage :Today I took 12mg instead of 6mg. So far so good. A guy who works out at the gym I work at who always hooks me up with free supps is dropping some Ephedrine off today. So I'm gonna be back on!!!!

Maki Riddington
07-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Lower Body Plus GPP

Well GPP sorta. I was at work so it was a really really short session. I did two sest of leg press before we went and dragged two 45 pound plates a cross a field twice. On Friday we'll push my car down the street a couple times.

Leg Press
790x5 for 2 sets

Afterwards, I decided to attempt the challenge I had issued in the BB forum but my client showed up. I'll attempt it on Saturday if my back agrees with me.

Reflections

I met with a recruiting officer tonight for a bit and he gave me an info package. He suggested I volunteer with the auxilary unit in my area or at least put in an application. I'm going to give my local detachment a call tomorrow.

On a different note, I took a clip of my client suffering while he pulled the plates across the feild. because I take satisfaction in other peoples suffering I will see if I can get it up and running.

ryuage
07-15-2004, 05:07 AM
I dont know but I heard something about not combining ephedrine and yohimbine... especially at large doses of yohimbine.

Maki Riddington
07-15-2004, 08:13 AM
You're right, they will be taken seperately at different times of the day.

AstronautJones
07-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Maki, how would you're training change if you decided to start BJJ? Or would it? More/mostly GPP work? Or?

Xand
07-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Congrats, on the good news. You're going to be a great dad I'm sure.
Have you checked into Krav Maga? It's a martial art that many police forces and armies use as their platform for self-defense skills.

Maki Riddington
07-17-2004, 03:57 PM
AstronautJones : I wouldn't be able to say until I figure out what my weaknesses are.

Xand : Thanks alot!

Reflections

I skipped my upper body workout yesterday. Instead I did some GPP with a client. We pushed hs car back and forth for 15 minutes and then did some plate drags and sprinting while gripping two 45's.

I was gonna come back to the gym later on and do my upper body, instead I went to the mall and watched Spiderman II. Later my wife and I went out for dinner with some friends and I had some pints and a nice plate of baby back ribs. Tonight before my workout I'm gonna order me some steak and rice.

My back feels better but I'm gonna baby it some more until I'm 110% sure it's good to go.

rookiebldr
07-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Somehow, I just can't think of pushing cars back and forth as fun. Maybe I'm not enough of a meathead yet, but I still rather be in the gym. ;)

Maki Riddington
07-19-2004, 08:52 AM
Upper Body

My back is almost back to normal which is not 100%, but I'm fine with this for the moment.

Flat Bench Press
305x2
305x1

Arghhhh........ I made a mistake of conversating with this guy who loves to joke and chat with anybody and everybody in the gym on Saturday. He's a fairly strong fellow who's in his late 30's and is about 6'2 220, maybe heavier.

I proceeded to ask if I could work in with him on the bench press as he was running back and forth between the squat rack and the bench press station. I believe he was super setting bench preses with squats. Anyways, he was working quite the sweat and was happy to let me join him. I did my warm up with 225 and proceeded to get ready to do my heavy set.

I prepared myself, blocking him out as much as I could, even though I could hear a distant voice in the background.

Lift off, and the bar goes down. Damn that's heavy! Up it goes and back down, except this time as I'm pushing the bar up, I see a single, lone bead of sweat drop onto my shirt. It was like everything slowed down and I could see this bead of sweat slowly plummet towards my shirt. That was it. My concentration was ruined and replaced with disgust. I swore and said "that's it, this weight is too 'insert dirty word' heavy. I racked the bar and walked away muttering too myself. I was rather pissed that one, he ruined my concentration and two, he dripped on me. The second set was no better. I actually didn't want him spotting me but I couldn't explain that he was actual counter productive to my workout. So I sucked it up and did what I could which wasn't much.

This guy is definitely different. I spotted him and to prepare himself he was yelling, "ZORDS, VIKINGS......ARGHHHHHHH!!!!" Weird I tell ya.

By now I was actually tired so I knew this wasn't gonna be much of a work out.

Wide Grip Lat Pullldowns
180x6 for 5 sets

Standing One Armed Dumbbell Shoulder Press
65x6

Dumbbell Spider Curl
30x12 for 2 sets

Tricep Cage Thrashers
BWx8 for 2 sets

Reflections

All in all I had a good weekend. I had a nice dinner with the wife last night and treated myself to a slamon dinner with garlic mashed potatoes, some lobster tail and some alligator skewers. I was pretty damn thirsty so I had a couple pints with dinner as well.

Today and tomorrow will be tough as I have to work 16 hours each. I got a some new clients which means my days are now increasing. Good for me, but it just makes for a longer day and my workouts are gonna have to be adjusted. I'm exhasuted when I get home now. At least I can look forward to a nice dinner every evening after work.

Maki Riddington
07-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Upper Body

I know it seems like I only work my upper body, but I just do not feel like my upper body is anything special and I get a lot of comments that I don't look my weight. This would most likely have to do with the appearance of my chest and bicep muscles. They suck.

Flat Bench Press (feet up on the bench)
135x6 warm up
205x1 warm up
225x1 warm up
260x1
265x1
270x1
275x1
280x1

I have decided to implement singles into my workouts. I have used them for my squats before and I had great success in building them up using this method.

My second chest workout of the week will be the same except I will place my feet on the ground so that I can work on my form and driving the bar up. Because I have my feet up on the bench I am relying on pure upper body strength. The load on the second workout will start at 275.

Close Grip Lat Pulldown
230x5
230x4

65x8
65x6

Dumbbell Hammer Curl
60x6 for 2 sets

Tricep French Press
110x6 for 6 sets

Reflections

I don't have much to say. All I know is that I really want to bench press 315x4 reps. Then I would like to start training for a powerlifting comp.

ryuage
07-20-2004, 09:46 AM
im opposite, my chest and bis are a good size, but I dont have any damn tricep size. =\ at least you didnt have someone sweating all over you this workout :)

Maki Riddington
07-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Lower Body

Squat Challenge
200x35

The one thing I noticed is by rep 20 my arms were completely numb. It got progressively worse and is probably the main reason I stopped. Don't get me wrong, it was damn hard, but I was preoccupied with wiggling my hands and arms during the squats.

Afterwards I was in deep oxegyn debt and almost puked. It took me a good 15 minutes to recover and then I had to walk home which took a good 25 minutes.

Today it's GPP, some abs and calves.

Anthony
07-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Nice work, Maki. During my squats I noticed my shoulders start to cramp. Nothing major, but I now understand why some people have shoulder problems when squatting.

Adam M just got a 6 foot tire for flipping and he says it's awesome. Ever try it?

ElPietro
07-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Just chiming in as I saw the BJJ interest. Marcus is one of, if not THE top guy to train under in our country. There are only I think 3-5 legit BJJ blackbelts in canada, and his lineage is unquestionable. You couldn't do better in choosing his school if you decide to give it a shot.

It could wreak havoc on your joints though. If you decide to join, and find you need a gi, let me know and I'd consider selling you mine. It's a blue KF Fighter double weave, worn maybe 4 or 5 times, should fit you fine. I would love to go back and train though, so I'd have to think about it. ;)

Strength looks great though. Have you found any powerlifters in the area to get lifting tips or meet advice from yet?

Coke
07-21-2004, 12:29 PM
I ought to take the challenge one of these days with those reps, they are nice - better you than me mang, lol...

Great work on those singles!

Maki Riddington
07-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Nice work, Maki. During my squats I noticed my shoulders start to cramp. Nothing major, but I now understand why some people have shoulder problems when squatting.

Adam M just got a 6 foot tire for flipping and he says it's awesome. Ever try it?

*** Tire flipping will have to wait as I wouldn't have any storage space to accomodate one. I'm experimenting with different GPP methods so that my conditioning and my clients are well balanced (coordination, stability, strength, endurance etc).

I'm looking forward to my session tonight. I feel so good after exerting myself.

Maki Riddington
07-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Just chiming in as I saw the BJJ interest. Marcus is one of, if not THE top guy to train under in our country. There are only I think 3-5 legit BJJ blackbelts in canada, and his lineage is unquestionable. You couldn't do better in choosing his school if you decide to give it a shot.

It could wreak havoc on your joints though. If you decide to join, and find you need a gi, let me know and I'd consider selling you mine. It's a blue KF Fighter double weave, worn maybe 4 or 5 times, should fit you fine. I would love to go back and train though, so I'd have to think about it. ;)

Strength looks great though. Have you found any powerlifters in the area to get lifting tips or meet advice from yet?

*** Pete, my main concern with this type of training is the potential dent it could put into my training. However I will at some point take the leap and see how it goes.

As for finding someone with experience, there are a couple guys at the gyms I work at but I have not really seen them to be anyone that I could learn from. I'm pretty particular. Most of the guys I end up talking to turn me off because they're training knowledge is ass backwards.

I checked my area for rankings and it looks like I have my work cut out for me if I ever did compete. The total to beat is 1500 pounds plus at 90 kilos.

Maki Riddington
07-21-2004, 10:24 PM
GPP

I'm soooooooo tired and since my wife is visiting Nelly cause she's in town for her concert I have to walk home tonight.......all by myself.:( My legs are so fatigued right now, partially because of last nights leg workout and because of todays session.

We started off by dragging a 45 pound plate for 200 metres. Then I dragged 90 pounds and ran 100 metres, rested and repeated it again. I then added another 45 pounds and dragged 135 pounds another 100 metres, rested and repeated it again. By then I was sucking major wind and felt like puking. I ended the session by doing one set of wind sprints. I could tell I was pretty much done since I couldn't decelerate.

No abs or calves.

ElPietro
07-22-2004, 06:50 AM
GPP
By then I was sucking major wind and felt like puking.

Wow, that was cruel of the Major to have you do after GPP. I didn't know you hung out with army guys. :p

...couldn't resist. :D

Anthony
07-22-2004, 07:03 AM
Your wife knows Nelly Furtado??

Maki Riddington
07-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Ya, they're friends, were, since high school.

ectx
07-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Upper Body

My back is almost back to normal which is not 100%, but I'm fine with this for the moment.

ME TOO...We are Back injury brothas. Only mine's at 100% because, eventhough I'm older I have a superior recovery system, and you're a whiny
b!tch! ;)

You're also way stronger than me. Egads!

and what's this I hear? Maki a Papi? Congrats on the kid mang. And here everybody thought you were impotent.

ha

seriously, congrats. You're gonna make a great dad.

Maki Riddington
07-22-2004, 12:03 PM
My wife loves da supa sperm!

Thanks Latino pride.

Maki Riddington
07-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Reflections

I've been feeling very beat up lately. My legs feel very fatigued and I am waking up still feeling tired.

Thursday night was a day off. I went to Nelly Furtado's concert which I actually enjoyed. I'm not much of a concert guy but I went so I could keep my wife company even though all her friends were there. The tickets Nelly had reserved for us were front row which was very nice of her. However by the end of the night I literally could not hear because the speakers were too loud. Because of this I actually felt very strange the next day. My balance was off, I felt sick and I had a brain fog. I decided to skip my workout and I napped in the sun by the pool.

It's Saturday today and I'm feeling a bit better. I'm still tired (am I spelling this correctly?) but I will attempt an upper body workout tonight. I'm also looking at starting some creatine, I'm gonna go shopping and see what kind I'm gonna purchase this time around.

Other then that my training is going well. My body fat is slowly going down and I will be starting some Clen next week. One week on, one week off.
I really hope I can hit 11% by the end of September so I can start my bulk phase. Right now I'm hovering around 200-203.

WillKuenzel
07-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Concerts do the same thing to me. I've lost a good bit of hearing of late working at the bar so its not quite so bad anymore, but that's not really a good thing considering I can't hear.

Will we get to see pics when you hit the end of your cutting phase?

Maki Riddington
07-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Maybe. I'm not much for pics anymore.

Maki Riddington
07-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Upper Body

Saturday was a carb up day and I did very well. I had about 700 grams worth that I stuffed in me plus a whole lot of fat (above 100 grams). On Sunday Io woke up looking very good, I was tight and my abs were showing a bit more.

Anyways, my Saturday workout was a bit off due to my buddy insisting I do arms with him. So I super setted arms and peformed my regular workout.

Flat Bench Press (singles)
280x1
280x1
285x1
290x1

I had to stop on my fourth set because I started doing my arms and I was pretty pumped in my tricep area. I knew 290 was off limits at this point. If I hadn't been so anxious I would have hit 290 no prob. My back did cramp up a bit on my lower left side. I'm fine today though.

Bicep Dumbbell Curls ss with Standing Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
65x6 ss 80x14 80's is the highest dumbbell there is in the gym. I could have done a lot more but figured it was pointless to keep going.
60x6 ss 80x10
60x5 ss 80x8

Bicep Reverse Cable Curl ss with Close Grip Bench Press
150x12 ss 135x12
150x10 ss 135x10
150x8 ss 135x8

Bicep Cable Curl ss with Tricep Cable Pressdown
I don't remember, but we did 4 sets.

180x6
180x6

I skipped my back which I will make up for today with a kick ass workout.

Reflections

After my workout my arms were pretty thrashed. I went home rented a movie and ordered 2 double cheeseburgers at Mcdonalds with fries and an orange pop. Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Yesterday was a decent day off. My wife and I, and some friends went down to a Caribbean festival and enjoyed the music and food. Then we headed across town to watch a slam dunk competition and the finals of a street ball tourney. Jamal Crawford (ex Chicago Bulls player now playing for the Knicks) was playing for one of the teams. Damn he was good, he was dribbling circles around the guys and he wasn't even trying. Obvioulsy he wasn't supposed to be there, as his contract does not allow him to play in these kinds of games due to the risk of injury. So he limited himself to dropping threes and the odd drive to the basket.

At the end of the day I think I had my fair share of seeing enough short shorts and clevage to last me a long time. I saw a couple big boys but for the most part a lot of them were all chest and biceps.

Today is our first year wedding anniversary. So I took the night off. My wife craves seafood so it'll be a nice seafood dinner at the wharf and a big cake.

One last note, my clen came today so I will start tomorrow at 20mcg. I will combine it with some Caffiene and some Yohimbine as well.

Maki Riddington
07-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Upper Body

Flat Bench Press (feet up on the bench)
275x1
275x1
280x1
285x1
290x1

One Armed Standing Dumbbel Shoulder Press
70x6
65x6

Standing Tricep Pressdowns ss with Seated Cable Row/Lat Pulldown
180x6 ss LPD 150x6
180x6 ss SCR 180x6
180x6 ss SCR 180x6
180x6 ss LPD 150x6

My back actually started to cramp up so I stopped at 4 sets. Mind you I was resting for a minute between the super sets.

Bicep Dumbbell Curls Together
45x6
40x6

I was pretty pumped after my workout. I wish I had my camera cause I looked pretty decent in my opinion. Mind you I was no Chase or Homey.:)

Maki Riddington
07-28-2004, 08:09 AM
Lower Body

This is what happens when youheglext yourlower body. My legs have grown smaller up and lost some size and strength. Well, it sure feels like it.

Squat (ATF)
315x3
320x3
325x3
330x3
335x3

It's been awhile since I've squatted so I can't just jump back into them. I will try to increase the weight every week if my lower back allows me to. I als id some abs which won't post cause I don't care musch for my ab workouts. I only do them because my buddy forces me to.

Reflections

I woke up this morning with a stiff and sore lower back. There is something defintely wrong with my left lower side. I will ice it and pop some pills and that should take care of things for now.

Maki Riddington
07-30-2004, 08:31 AM
GPP

I did a bunch of stuff. Push ups for a minute straight, squat jump chin ups for a minute, step ups for a minute, static holds for a minute and some other stuff that I can't remember.

Reflections

My younger brother inlaw is visting for a month and he'll be staying with us. I'm excited because I'm gonna punish him in the gym. He's only 16 and he is very skinny for his height. I believe he's 120 at 5'8. I told him that he'll be, eating, sleeping and training 6 days a week which he says he's looking forward to.

I'm also looking forward to this because it allows me a chance to stray from my program, start doing a lot more exercises and will force me to train harder and eat a bit more (which should help with my fat loss).

Upper Body Workout

Flat Bench Press
275x2
280x1
285x1
290x1

Flat Dumbbell Flys
80x8

Tricep Cable Pressdown
90x6
100x6

Dumbbell Curl
60x6

Preacher Curl
90x10

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
80x8

Standing One Armed Shoulder Press
60x8

Lateral Raise Machine
180x6

Medium Grip Latpulldown
160x6
160x6

Reflections

I was actually impressed with his strength, he ended up benching 100 pounds for 2 sets of 10 reps on his very first try. He also picked up on everything I taught him the first time around. He's vey talented in track and field so I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that he'll end up being very strong in the gym.

He mentioned that he felt much better after our workout and that he was energized. He's got a ton of pent up energy that needs to be released so he should be able to deal with the work volume I put him through.

He' also eating more now. He said that he only ate once or twice a day so now I have him eating 4-6 times a day. We'll see what his weight is in a months time.

Isaac Wilkins
07-30-2004, 08:36 AM
Get'em young, Maki!

There's nothing better than taking a youngster into the gym with great talent and actually being able to teach them something. Good stuff.

Maki Riddington
07-30-2004, 08:39 AM
His physique although very skinnny is also quite symetrical. The type that would make him look like a monster at 170 pounds.

Anthony
07-30-2004, 10:24 AM
That's very cool. You're lucky he's only staying a month or he might pass you by ... ;)

Maki Riddington
08-04-2004, 08:42 AM
It was my close buddies wedding and he is East Indian. I was his best man, so I spent the long weekend eating, drinking and sitting on the toilet.

I don't think I will have some for awhile. The damage it does to your colon and the painful bowel movements are not something I look forward to, all in the name of spices.

Upper Body

I'm slolwy showing my little Brother in law the ropes. He's coming along nicely. I really made him work hard on leg day this past Friday.;)

Flat Bench Press
280x1
285x1
290x1
295x1
300x1

Seated Cable Row
200x6
230x6
210x6

Close Grip Lat Pulldown
200x6
200x6

Tricep Cable Pressdown
205x6
205x6
205x6

One Armed Dumbbell Shoulder Press
70x6

Plate Raise
35x10

Shoulder Lateral Machine
195x5

Bicep Hammer Rope Curl
125x6

Reflections

I'm up to 80mcg on the clen and I have extended it to 2 weeks instead of one. I couldn't ramp up quickly enough due to the jitters.

Tonight it's Squats, Calf Raises and hopefully some cardio post workout.

Maki Riddington
08-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Lower Body

For squats I used the trap bar instead of a flat bar.

Squats
315x3
325x5
335x3
345x3

Standing Calf Raise
135x12
135x10
135x10

This morning in my sleep I awoke to a most violent muscle cramp that seized up my entire vastus medialis (inner quad). My god, it was one of the most painful experinces I've had in some time.

JustinF
08-09-2004, 02:54 AM
Those cramps that wake you up are brutal.

How do the squats with the trap bar work? I would imagine the weights would hit the ground on the decline.

Maki Riddington
08-09-2004, 08:29 AM
JustinF: Here's a pic. Wrong name, I should have said "cambered bar." http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/camberbench.html

Upper Body

This was Thursday's workout

Paused Bench Press (4 second pause at the bototm)
225x2 for 6 sets

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press
165x3 for 3 sets

I then took a 2 hour break.

Close Grip Chin Ups
BW plus 45 pounds x 6 for 2 sets

Bicep Dumbbell Curl
60x6

Dumbbell Tricep Extension
30x6 for 3 sets

Saturday workout

Upper Body

Nothing special.

Deadlift
325x3
325x8

Easy as pie. But I really have to be careful of my lower back. I tend to to push myself way too far when I deadlift which isn't that often. I should try more though.

Close Grip Chin Up
BWx30 (I just kept going until I hit 30)

Push Press (with split stance)
135x4
135x4

The weight here is not an issue, it's my wrists that hurt afterwards.

Explosive Push Ups
BWx10
BWx10

Maki Riddington
08-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Upper Body

Flat Bench Press
135x5
225x5
275x1
295x1
300x1
305xfailed plus 10 explosive push ups afterwards BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That sucked major donkey balls. I was really choked afterwards. I haven't failed on this lift in almost 5 months now.

70x6

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
40x6

Bicep Dumbbell Preacher Curl
30x12

Chin Up
BWx10 plus I used this method to push out 4 more.
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=103

Tricep Cable Pressdown
180x8
200x6
160x6
140x6

I rested about 30 seconds inbetween each set. That is why their is such a steep drop off in weight.

Reflections

I've stopped the clen and have switched back to EC now for a week.

Yesterday I went to the track with my brother in law and played some soccer. We ended up having a little scrimmage with some people. I've concluded that I am so out of shape when it comes to running it's extremely pathetic. So I will have to slowly work on getting some of my wind back.

Unfortunately my bro sprained his ankle while playing so we couldn't work our legs out afterwards. I had him soak his ankle in some ice water for 20 mins and gave him some anti inflammitories. He'll do the same thing upon waking and going to bed each day.

Stephen Riddington
08-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Ouch, I hope he's all right.

JustinF
08-13-2004, 02:49 AM
Thanks for that link Maki. I hadn't seen that before. I'll have to give that a go.

Chubrock
08-13-2004, 04:57 PM
What's goin on Maki? You said you were trying to get down to 11% BF by Sept. and I was just wondering about how much weight is coming off per week for ya?

Maki Riddington
08-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Chubrock: About a pound a week right now. I'm way off my goal though. I blame it on the fact I have not been doing any cardio at all. It's a part of my program that I struggle with. However, I have just recently started to spend 2 sessions a week doing sprints and spending some time juggling and hitting the soccer ball around.There's a park right next to my place so I'm gonna do my best to put aside two days every week to sprint, dribble and hit the ball around.

Chubrock
08-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Sounds good Maki. Have you noticed any negative correlation btw your "seefood" style of diet, and cutting?

Shane
08-14-2004, 12:58 PM
I hate that feeling when you can't lift a weight you've lifted not too long ago. Where are you getting the EC from?

Maki Riddington
08-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Lower Body

I am using a new method for my squat day. It goes like this, 5 sets using a 5,4,3,2,1 rep scheme.

Using a straight bar this time I squatted.

135x5 warm up
225x3 warm up
315x5
325x4
335x3
345x2
355x1

Nothing special, as my squat is much higher but I really have to make sure I do not aggravate my lower back.

Tip: Hanging from the cage after each heavy set with a neutral pelvis helps decompress the spine, it gives me a sense that I've released any kind of pressure that has built up in my spine from the decompressive focres that have been placed on my vertabre. Think of it as flossing for the spine.

I should start placing more of these in my journal. :)

Bulgarian Squat
BWx4

Ouch, these are damn hard! I'm gonna start doing these more often. Unilaterally, my strength is pathetic!!! Who cares if you can squat 400 pounds plus raw if you can't even squat deep on one leg using your own bodyweight for 10 reps!!!

Reflections

I've been on a soccer kick (pun intended;)) lately and I've noticed that I have extremely weak ankles, and my abbductors are weak. I have put a new routine together and I will post it once I have worked the bugs out of it.

mega
08-14-2004, 01:40 PM
I also suffer from a tight supinator muscle in my forearm which is causing me to fall behind in my biceps area.
What exactly is this? I also have pain in my foreams when I curl (not the normal lift pains, more like tearing or being stabbed).

Maki Riddington
08-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Chubrock: Yes. Fat loss is definitely not as quick as when I actually counted cals percisely, weighed all my food and watched my macronutrient ratios. It can be frusterating sometimes, but I know that it comes with the territory.:)

Shane: A guy at my gym gives me whatever I basically need for free since he works at a supp store. He's been very nice to me.

Mega: The problem most people have is a result of an imbalance between the flexor and extensor muscles in the forearm. That's why they get this stabbing pain in the forearms, more so, when they do barbell, or dumbbell bicep curls. It can also occur when you use the eazy curl bar as well. Scar tissue build up also plays a role as well. Most times the pain can be pin pointed if you palpate between the raduis and ulna in the mid forearm region.

Icing post workout and intensive stretching should do the exercise.

AstronautJones
08-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Did you ever check out that BJJ academy? What is the latest with that?

Mystic Eric
08-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi Maki! :hello:

Maki Riddington
08-14-2004, 04:55 PM
AstronautJones: Oops, no I haven't. Thanks for the reminder.

Mystic Eric: Go away! *mutters to himself* "He's still gay. Dammit!"

Anthony
08-15-2004, 02:06 PM
I've also been hanging from a bar after lower body work and it almost feels like someone is stretching my lower spine apart. I guess that's good. :D

Shane
08-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Holy crap! Mystic Eric lives! Run Maki!

I haven't done Bulgarian squats in forever. They are humbling so don't feel too bad. Is that gonna be part of your soccer routine?

Maki Riddington
08-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I feel weak and small.

Whole Body Workout

I find myself always in a foul mood after I have a ****ty workout. This was the case on Saturday night.

Speed Bench (reverse grip)
145x2 for 7 sets

Push Press (with split squat stance)
135x2 for 6 sets

Power Clean (from the knees)

Deadlift
315x1
325x1
335x1
345x1
355x1

The weight was lifted explosively, but I had to be very careful of my lower back. I started to feel a twinge in my right low errector on the 4th set.

Reflections

I am very frustertaed with my lifts because my lower back is holding me back from lifting heavier. It's like walking on egg shells.

I also didn't even attempt to do my power cleans because I got so angry with how ****ty my form was. I have concluded that I am going to have to hire someone to teach me, as teaching myself is not going anywhere. so know I must look for a good trainer who I feel is up to par and is well versed in OLing.

I get very upset with myself when I can not do what I want to do.

Maki Riddington
08-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Upper Body

Heavy Bench
285x2 for 3 sets
225x10 (worked on my speed here, I hope to hit 15 reps in the next 3-4 weeks)

It felt good to grind these out. If all goes as planned I should be able to bust through my plateau of 305x2. I just subtracted aproximately 7% and will start over and work my way back up.

Triceps Dumbbell Extension
80x8 for 4 sets
75x8 for 2 sets

I rested about 60 seconds inbetween sets.

Standing Bicep Dumbbell Curl (rack strip set)
60x6
50x3
45x2
40x1

My goal here is to complete 12 reps. So it's really one set of 12.

Seated Cable Row
200x12 for one set

Barbell Front Raise
70x12

Reflections

Also I weighed my brother in law and he's up 4 pounds! So far so good, I said he should be able to slap on another 2 pounds before he leaves which will put him at 130.

kazzy
08-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Good job Maki.

Shane
08-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Nice benching Maki.

WillKuenzel
08-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Nice job on the benching!

JustinF
08-19-2004, 04:24 AM
Nice work Maki. Strong presses.

Silverback
08-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Great workout Maki, haven't been up-to-date with your training. But your strength has come on amazingly well over the past 4 years.

Pressing is very impressive and how the hell you do db tri extensions with 80's is beyond me. You must have indestructable elbow joints!!

Maki Riddington
08-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Big-Ron: Thanks but I think you might be thinking of a different exercise. 80 pounds is quite low but it is the highest dumbbell at the gym I work at.:(

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise3/frenchpresses.htm

Lower Body

Cambered Bar Squat
325x5
335x4
345x3
355x2
365x1

This sequence of reps is probably one of the more effective ways to teach someone how to lift their max. Now, this lift is not going to burn someone out neurally because it only allows them to max out on a certain percentage of their actual 1RM.

For example, my max squat is 420 raw. But because my back has been bothering me I can not use my max lift to calculate my percentages to work out my wave loading scheme. So I decided to use this method to help me work on my strength levels, hypertrophy as well as help me focus on lifting a load that's my training max in each particular session. This way I won't be using my actual 1RM and will not have to worry about neural burn out.

Bulgarian Squats
BWx5 for 2 sets

Reflections

The clen is working great, I am slowly leaning out and I feel much better about myself. I do go through periods where I feel like I'm shrinking but I do have my good days.:)

Vido
08-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Big-Ron: Thanks but I think you might be thinking of a different exercise. 80 pounds is quite low but it is the highest dumbbell at the gym I work at.:(

That's a pretty hardcore gym you workout at :D.

Maki Riddington
08-20-2004, 07:21 AM
You bet it is.:)

galileo
08-20-2004, 10:04 AM
So what are your goals? To be as strong as Cocoa?

Maki Riddington
08-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Heh, ya, but stronger.

Actually, right now, all I care about is my bench press. I am determined to hit 315x4 by the end of December. I will start my bulking cycle at the end of September.

Maki Riddington
08-20-2004, 10:23 AM
Upper Body

Rack Bench Press (2 inches from the top of the movement)
325x2 for 2 sets
325x3 for 2 sets

I've added about 8% to my max and will slowly work the pins down every week by one notch. My ticeps are trashed today. I was doing our budget last night with my wife and I could barely use my triceps to keep me propped up on the bed.

Medium Width Pull Ups
BWx30

It took my about 9 sets with no more then 30 seconds rest inbetween to complete them.

Standing Barbell Military Press
145x4 for 4 sets

My lower back was stiff from squats so I took it easy here.

Alternating DB Hammer Curl
40x5

Cable Rope Tricep Pressdown
100x6

Reflections

I have finally worked out a budget for our finances and the hard part now is trying to stick to it. I've been struggling to keep myself out of financial trouble by ignoring my problems. Stupid move on my part. Very stupid. So, now it's time to take some action. Let's see if it works out.:)

briancurran01
08-20-2004, 11:16 AM
good work on the pressing maki. GOod luck on the finances. Budgets are teh suck.

Mystic Eric
08-22-2004, 10:04 PM
HEY MAKI! :clap:

Maki Riddington
08-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi Eric.

Whole Body

135x2
145x2
155x2
165x2

Reverse Grip Speed Bench
155x2 for 6 sets

Deadlift
325x1
335x1
345x1
355x1
365x1

My left glute was a bit tight during these but otherwise they went up fairly quickly. My back is ok, so I can up the weight again next week.

Reflections

I have stopped the clen again and am back on a EC stack. The clen made me sweat quite profusely. I would be sitting watching TV and I'd be sweating like a madman. So I'm glad I'm off right now. So far the Clen is great, it's taking a pound a week off my body.

WillKuenzel
08-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Did you get the shakes from the clen, or have any problems with cramping?

Maki Riddington
08-24-2004, 08:12 AM
Did you get the shakes from the clen, or have any problems with cramping?

*** The only time I got the shakes was during my first dose in the morning.
As for cramping, I woke up once to a violent cramp in my vastus medilais. It was extremely painful.

Maki Riddington
08-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Upper Body

4 squirts of In Rage 30 mins before my workout. Another 4, 5 minutes before.

Flat Bench Press
290x2
290x1
290x2
290x1
290x1
225x11 I was aiming for 12.:(

Shoulder Lateral Raise Machine
185x6

Triceps Elbows-Out Extensions
45x6 for 3 sets
40x6 for 3 sets

Dumbbell Preacher Curl
40x6

Wide Grip Lat Pull Down
150x11

Reflections

On Sunday I crashed. Because I had stopped the Clen, I had the worst headcahe and I was craving carbs pretty bad. I ended up just writing off the day as I ate:

Peaches and protein shake
4 eggs, cheese and 2 pieces of toast
A plate of nachos and cheese
Cereal bar
1 large pizza and 1 litre of pop
1 big bowl of peach yogurt

Actually that's not much food at all, but it was more the cravings that were bugging me. I just didn't seem to be satisfied.

Right now, I'm taking some caffiene (200mg per dose), green tea (2 grams per dose) and yohimbine (12-18mg per dose).

JustinF
08-26-2004, 02:51 AM
Strong sessions, maki. How do you like that In-Rage?

Maki Riddington
08-26-2004, 02:47 PM
JustinF:For 9 dollars I can hardly complain.:) Other than the sticky gooey stuff that collects inside my nose after squirting it in each nostril 2-3 times, it's a great product.

Lower Body

Cambered Bar Squats
135x3
225x3
315x1
330x5
340x4
350x2
360x1
370x1

This workout did not go as planned. During my second rep on my 350 load, I split my boxers in half which made me lose my concentration. I almost failed on the lift as a result. On my 360 load, I slpit my boxers even more and the left side of the bar hit the pins which threw my concentration off again. This in turn made my 370 squat a lot heavier then it should have been.

Bulgarian Squat
Bwx5 for two sets

Seated Calf Raise
80x12 plus 10 seconds of explosive jumping with my knees locked.

Leg Press Calf Raise
320x8 for 2 sets

ryuage
08-26-2004, 04:08 PM
splitting your boxers while working out "priceless"

JustinF
08-30-2004, 05:02 AM
LOL. I've done that before, but it was my pants. Good thing it wasn't the boxers too! :p

Maki Riddington
08-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Upper Body

Skipped Thursday and did my workout on Friday.

Bench Press Lockouts (4 inches from the top)
325x2 for 3 sets

Bench Press Lockouts (from the bottom)
235x1 for 5 sets

Wide Grip Pullups
BWx30 (as many sets as needed)

Standing Militay Press
155x2 for 4 sets

Dumbbell Skull Crushers
40x10

Bicep Incline Dumbbell Curl
30x8

I skipped Saturday's workout because I had to wait for the telephone repair guy to come and fix ou phone. he never showed which ticked me right off as I lost a days wage as a result.

Maki Riddington
08-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Upper Body

Flat Bench Press
275x1
280x1
285x1
290x1
295x1
225x3...quit on the third rep because I smoked the pins in the cage which royally pissed me off.

Standing One Armed Dumbbell Shoulder Press
70x6

Dumbbell Bicep Curl (together)
45x8

Medium Overhand Grip Lat Pulldown
150x12

Dumbbell Skull Crushers
40x6 for 4 sets

Reflections

Today was the first day that I felt like my workout was the shiats. I had no energy and I was very sleepy at the end of my workout. I knew right off the bat when I warmed up on the bench press. Oh well, at least these are a rarity for me nowadays.

On a more positive note, several of my clients and co workers recently have commented on my weight loss. They've said it looks like I've lost a good 15-20 pounds. According to the scale I've only lost 8 pounds. Coming from people who see me everyday this was great news.

Oh ya, my younger bro leaves today. Sucks but I'll see him hopefully in 6 months time.

Maki Riddington
09-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Lower Body

Squat (with straight bar)
345x3
350x2
355x1

Bulgarian Squats
BWx5 for 2 sets

Reflections

What lame workout. That's number two now in a row. I basically stoped squatting as you can see because I have been ignoring my weakness in the squat for some time now. I always push off with my right foot and as a result I lean more to one side as I come out of the hole. I finally gave in last night and realized that I have a lot of work to do to fix this problem. Squatting for the sake of squatting just so I can lift heavy is pointless.

I'm gonna focus on a lot more unilateral work for my left side and start doing barbell split squats. My left is also very small compared to my right side. I'll try posting a pic to see if the difference can be spotted by someone elses eyes.

Nowadays, my zest for bodybuilding has dissapeared. I seem to be gravitating towards training like an athlete. Lots of ballistic and explosive movements with emphasis on a wider base of strength. I feel that I can display strength a lot more efficiently training this wasy even if I can not squat, deadlift or bench press the same weight many of the guys on here lift.

As for supps, I've been using creatine and green tea. Green tea has been at about 4-5 grams a day.

Chubrock
09-02-2004, 12:08 PM
How's the "seefood diet" coming along Maki?

ryuage
09-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Im feelin ya on the atlethic type of training... and damn 5 grams of gree tea !

Maki Riddington
09-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Upper Body

Flat Bench Press Pause (5 seconds)
250x1 for 5 sets

75x4 for 3 sets

Chin Ups
BWx30 (as many sets needed to complete)

Reflections
I was pooped, so I skipped triceps and biceps.

Maki Riddington
09-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Whole Body

Speed Bench Press
155x2 for 6 sets

135x2
155x2
175x1
175x1
185x1

I almost lost my balance on the 4th set. Rubber plates would have ben handy in this situation so I coud have dropped the bar.

Reflections

I skipped deadlifts because my lower back was bugging me for some reason.

Maki Riddington
09-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Upper Body

Flat Bench Press
295x2
295x1
295x1 (depth was not to my liking so I stopped my sets here)
225x13.5 (had to rack the bar half way up, I'll aim for 14 reps next week)

70x5

Incline Bicep Dumbbell Curl
40x6

Dumbbell Preacher Curl
35x5 (failed on this lift which I wasn't supposed to)

Close Grip Lat Pulldown
160x10

Dumbbell Skull Crushers
45x5 for 4 sets
40x5

Reflections

I enjoyed a restful weekend which I believe allowed me to lift a bit heavier last night. My muscles are fatigued this morning like I've just worked them out so I'm gonna aim for some cardio, abs and calves tonight.

Since I'm out of an E/C stack I've been popping 3-4 grams of Green Tea upon rising and another 2 grams in the afternoon. as a result, I've been getting a slight buzz, a tingly euphoric feeling all over. It's kinda weird.

Mystic Eric
09-09-2004, 05:54 PM
HI MAKI!!!!! :whip:

galileo
09-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Your workouts look strong, Maki.

Maki Riddington
09-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Lower Body

Squat
315x1
325x1
330x1
340x1
350x1
355x1

Split Squats
135x4 for 3 sets

Maki Riddington
09-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Upper Body

Flat Bench (5 second pause at bottom)
230x2
230x1 for 5 sets

Standing Barbell Press
155x2
155x2
135x4
135x3

Close Grip Chin Ups
BWx13

Reflections

I was tiered so I quit. I had done my cardio in the morning which I felt took a bit out of me.

Maki Riddington
09-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Lower Body

Deadlift

315x1
335x2
345x2
355x2
365x2
375x1
385x1
395x1

I felt good. By the last set my lower back was fairly fatigued although I could have pulled more.

Maki Riddington
09-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Upper Body

Flat Bench
295x1
300x1
225x10 (boooooo)

I leave to go get a drink of water and some Chinese pencil necks strip the bench press. Pissed me right off. I was a bit hot towards the guy who was benching and told him I had a couple sets left. Of course he waited around like hawk which made me speed up my rest period and in turn threw my 225 set off.:(

Whatever *raises hand*

70x6

Dumbbell Concentration Curl
25x12 for 2 sets

Lat Row Machine (Apex)
220x8 for 2 sets

Dumbbell Tricep Skull Crushers
40x5 for 5 sets

Triceps Elbows-Out Extensions
40x6 for 3 sets

Reflections

After a massive carb up (800-900 carbs) on Saturday it's safe to say I've gained some fat. My muscles feel nice and tight but I can tell that my midsection is a bit puffy.

Not to worry as I start my clen again this week. I started at 80mcg with 4 grams of green tea today.

ryuage
09-14-2004, 04:47 AM
what diet are you usually following throughout the week maki??

galileo
09-14-2004, 07:36 AM
I would suggest some form of retaliation is in order.

Maki Riddington
09-14-2004, 08:17 AM
what diet are you usually following throughout the week maki??

*** I can't say right now. It's an experiment I'm doing with myself and some others. However if I were to explain it, I'd say it would kind of be a variation of the UD.

ryuage
09-14-2004, 09:00 AM
yah I figured some type of cyclical diet... Im basically eating below maintenance, carbs only coming from veggies throughout the day with about 50 grams post workout so 100>, then every 4-5 days load up on some carbs in the evening.

Maki Riddington
09-14-2004, 04:41 PM
May I ask how you came to the conlcusion that this would be an effective program?

ryuage
09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
never came to the conclusion, just been testing it out..

Maki Riddington
09-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Lower Body

Cambered Bar Squat
315x2
365x1
375x1
385x1

Barbell Split Squat
135x3 for 2 sets

I meant to do more but I somehow got talking with my friend which carried on into a drawn out conversation. So, that was all I could get in before the gym closed.

Relentless
09-15-2004, 08:17 AM
did you have your sweat towel draped on the bench when pencilneck moved in?

having crap to leave lying around on the machine/bench you're using is a godsend, IMHO...

Maki Riddington
09-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Next time I will do that. :)

SW
09-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Sweat towels = more friends while lifting :)

Maki Riddington
09-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Upper Body

Flat Bench Press
255x1 for 7 sets

Standing One Arm Dumbbell Presses
60x10
60x7

Chin Ups
As many sets as it took to do 35 reps.

Hammer Curl (together)
40x10

Triceps Close Grip Bench Press (feet up in the air)
135x8
135x6

Reflections

My weight is slowly creeping up as my bodyfat is slowly going down. I weighed in at 202.6 Friday morning. Up 1 pound from last week. I feel much better, but still need to drop some more bodyfat. I have to really force myself to do some cardio at least 2 times a weeks. Yesterday, I did some HIIT with my client. We did 20 seconds on 20 seconds off on the stairclimber for 5 minutes.

SW
09-19-2004, 11:08 AM
How many clients do you have now?

Maki Riddington
09-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Upper Body

Superior Will: I have 22 clients right now.

Bench Press
300x1
275x2
275x1
275x1

Seated (unsupported) Military Press
140x4 for 3 sets

Overhand Bent Over Barbell Row
155x5 for 3 sets

Feet Up Close Grip Bench Press
155x5 for 4 sets

Maki Riddington
09-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Lower Body

Deadlift
315x2
395x1
405x1
415x1
420x1

Barbell (alternating) Lunge
140x3 for 3 sets

One Legged Step Ups
40x5 for 3 sets

Vido
09-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Yesterday, I did some HIIT with my client. We did 20 seconds on 20 seconds off on the stairclimber for 5 minutes.

That's what I've been doing for cardio lately, but I've been doing 30 second intervals and aiming for 10 minutes. I don't often get there because my cardio is abysmal at the moment :(. It's a good workout though.

Are barbell or dumbbell lunges more difficult (in terms of weights being used)? I only ask because barbell generally allows you to move more weight, and that doesn't seem very heavy for 3 reps in comparison to your other lifts.

SW
09-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Bench beats me pretty well, and dead's kick my ass. I def. have goals right now lol. Inspiration from Maki.

I too keep it simple and to the point with routines. Too many exercises is a bother.

Maki Riddington
09-23-2004, 08:19 AM
My goal by the end of this year is to bench 315x4. My goal for my deadlift is to get it up to 500. My back is a very tricky thing with my past inury so I have to baby my progress. I have other goals but these two are my big ones.

Maki Riddington
09-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Last night I had a crappy workout, it was partially due to a lack of time and alos because my wife was waiting for me. Do I workout and make her wait or do I pick her up??? I caved in and picked her up after doing 5 sets. He,he.

I have now started a fitday journal to track my nutrition progress. It can be seen here: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Maki+riddington

I have now officially started bulking. I weigh 203.6 and would like to weigh 210 at the end of my bulk. I do want to lose some bodyfat so I have devised a cyclic diet. I am very confident that this plan will work.

Maki Riddington
09-24-2004, 09:35 PM
I just finished my first session of Judo. I got majorly schooled in the art of getting my butt kicked. I have many bruises all over my body and my fingers are killing me. I was in a very foul mood after tonight's session. I'm sure with time I'll get over the fact that getting my ass handed to me every single time we graple is a normal procedure. I think I made one guy tap out but he was smaller then me and I really didn't do much excpet wait until he messed up. There was one guy who obvioulsy work out hard because all he did was muscle me into submission while the two sensies (sp) pushed me off balance first.

All in all I had a great workout and it really made me see how out of shape I am.

Maki Riddington
09-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Lower Body HVT

I was way too tired to work out but I tried to do what I could with what little strength I had.

Squat
225x5
225x6
225x7
225x8

Hamstring Curl
80x6 for 3 sets
70x6

Leg Extensions
100x10 for 4 sets

SW
09-27-2004, 09:09 PM
How long you been doing judo?

I'm about to start TKD and am looking foreward to it.

Martial Arts Rule!

P.S. Nice lifting and effort, probably good choice to pick up teh wife lol

Maki Riddington
09-28-2004, 11:37 PM
How long you been doing judo?

I'm about to start TKD and am looking foreward to it.

Martial Arts Rule!

P.S. Nice lifting and effort, probably good choice to pick up teh wife lol

*** It's my first week. I like it but I need to throw in a boxing session as well. If i can free up some time I'm gonna look at a boxing gym downtown to train at as well. I feel they both compliment each other in terms of being well versed in fighting.

AstronautJones
09-28-2004, 11:44 PM
The BJJ thing didn't work out?

Judo is cool though, it is actually related to BJJ in a lot of ways.

Maki Riddington
09-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Upper Body Strength

I buggered my right elbow in my judo session from having it worked on so many times. I should have just tapped out right away but stupid me, I wait until I feel my elbow hyperextend. Anyways, I've paid the price. Piddley weights.

Flat Bench Press
225x5
275x3 (elbow bothering me so I stopped)

Push Ups
BWx20
BWx10 (elbow hurting me)

Incline Dumbbell Press
80x6 (stopped due to elbow)

Pec Deck
120x10 for 4 sets
105x10 for 1 set

Shoulder Lateral Raise Machine
120x10 for 4 sets
105x10 for 1 set

Bicep Preacher Curl Machine
45x10
45x8

Cocentration Curls
20x10 for 3 sets

Chin Up (wide grip)
BWx10

Lat Pull Down Machine
110x10 for 1 set

Machine Row
150x10
150x8

Tricep One Armed Dumbbell Extension
15x10
20x10
25x10

Tricep Pressdown
80x10

Reflections

I started my clen again. I noticed that I slapped on some fat again after I stopped taking the clen and it was because of my carb intake. I really have to buckle down on it otherwise fat loss will take light years to achieve.

Clen dose: 80 mcg

Maki Riddington
09-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Lower Body Strength Workout

Front Squat (deep baby, deep)
225x5
245x5
265x5

No problem. I should have kept going back but I still have a twinge in lower back.

Seated Calf Raise
135x5 for 3 sets

Stupid clen, I cramped up majorly on my 3rd set which made me back off and stop my calf workout. It's funny how you can be so macho one minute and in a flash a cramp will have you whimpering like a baby who wants it's breast.

Barbell Split Squat
155x4 for 3 sets

Good Morning
155x4 for 4 sets

Reflections

Today was better in terms of my elbow pain. It was still bothering me a bit and my wrists are hurting as well. I'm gonna be starting some T3 pretty soon, just 12mg a day for the next 3 months.

My clen dosage today was: 100mcg

Maki Riddington
10-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Upper Body HVTBS

My arm is still bugging me so i was relegated to doing the pec deck and light dumbbell presses for the chest.

Pec Deck
150x10 for 3 sets

Dumbbell Bench Press
45x10
50x10

T Bar Rows
90x10 for 4 sets

Seated Cable Row
150x10

Reflections
My clen dosage is at 120 mcg now. Tonight is my first prenatal class.

BIG C
10-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Hope your elbow heals up bro!

I know how it is to have an injury! It sucks!!

Maki Riddington
10-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Upper Body continued

Close Grip Tricep Bench Press
135x10 for 6 sets

Bicep Concentration Curl
25x10 for 6 sets

Dumbbell Front Raise
15x10 for 2 sets
20x10

Reflections

My weight jumped up a pound this week. I'm now 204.5. My clen is still at 120 mcg. Hopefully when my T3 arrives sometime next week I can start in on it at 12mg a day.

Maki Riddington
10-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Lower Body

Narrow Squat
225x10
245x10
255x10

Hamstring Curl
75x6 for 3 sets

Leg Extension
110x10 for 3 sets

Body Weight Calf Raise
BWx15 for 3 sets

Reflections

Ever since I started Judo (2 weeks ago) I feel like a walking injury. I asked a nurse at the gym what the problem with my elbow might be. I told her I thought it was an inflamed tendon (right lower tricep). She said that it was most liley inflamed because of a small tear in the tendon. This means that I really have to baby my arm which leads to having to back off on the heavy lifting. This sucks because I really feel like I can lift. I have that strong feeling, the type when you get under the bar and you know you're gonna bust some PBs. These type of feelings don't come along every day so it's very frusterating.

So far I've been popping advil and tylenols togethr twice a day, rubbing extra olive virgin oil on the sore spot and doing contrast bathing for my elbow. It feels better but I know it's still there.

As for my Judo, I love it. I'm the biggest guy and by far the strongest in the class but I've been getting my butt whooped by guys who are no where near my strength level. It feels good because that is how I learn best. I'm really taking my lumps and my body is really feeling the effects the next day. Once I get this arm injury out of the way I'm sure it will be even more enjoyable.

Maki Riddington
10-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Upper Body

Holy I'm weak. I didn't realize just how weak one can get from an injury that revolves around a tendon.

Bench Press
135x10
225x5
295x1 (stupid move, but I did it, it felt like i was on the verge of snapping my right tricep tendon)

Decline Dumbbell Fly
50x10

Flat Dumbbell Fly
45x8
45x8

Cable Cross Over
50x10
50x10

Chin Up
BWx8 (elbow was bugging me)

Machine Lat Pull Down
150x10 for 3 sets

Preacher Curl Machine
45x10 for 3 sets

Tricep Dumbbell Extension (unilateral)
30x10 for 3 sets

Dumbbell Front Raise
20x10 for 2 sets

Reflections
My upper body is lagging and I feel so small now. I almost feel like my right arm is shrinking. My body fat is dropping but I'm just reverting back to my old bodyfat % before I gained the excess weight from coming off the clen. I'm flat from low carbing it and I'm always sore. I started taking 1000mg of Glucophage recently to help, so we'll what happens.

My clen is now at 180mcg, it's time to come off it in 2 days time. I'm not feeling it and I'll take a good 8 weeks off of it.

Maki Riddington
10-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Lower Body

Well at least my lower body workouts are getting better. Other then having a slight twinge in my lower back, I decided to deadlift last night.

Deadlift
225x5
315x5
405x1
425x1
435x1

500 here I come!

Front Squat
245x3 for 5 sets

I was supposed to Good Mornings next but I was hogging the cage so I gave it up to someone who wanted to do his shrugs. Am I a nice guy or what?

I settled on doing calve raises.

Calf Raise
330x10 for 4 sets

Reflections

This morning I was sore, especially my lower back. I took a nap today and feel a bit better. Tonight it's abs and cardio.

AstronautJones
10-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Man you're just falling apart! :p I think Judo has a tendency to do that.

Deadlifts/lower body is definitely looking strong.

Zearoth
10-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Awesome deadlifts. :thumbup:

Nito
10-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Wow those dead's are impressive

Maki Riddington
10-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Thanks. I'm loving the Judo though. It really gets me going and I knew I'd have to weather through some injuries until my body adjusts. I can suck up the weeny weights until I get back into my groove.

BIG C
10-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Awesome set of deads! :thumbup:

500 in no time!

Maki Riddington
10-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Upper Body

Flat Bench Press
225x6
230x6
235x6

Lat Pull Down
160x10 for 3 sets

Both these exercises were super setted.

Shoulder Dumbbell Press (standing)
50x8 for 3 sets

Close Grip Bench Press
135x5 for 3 sets

Both these exercises were super setted.

Barbell Curl
Barx15 for 2 sets

Reflections

My elbow was hurting a bit but otherwise I had a good workout. My bodyweight is now at 206.

Maki Riddington
10-11-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm back at my parent's home for Thanksgiving. I took 5 days off of work. It's day 4 already. Time flies when you don't do anything.:(

I worked out twice on Saturday. Once in the morning with my younger bro.

Lower Body

Squat
135x5
225x10
315x6

Leg Press
550x8

My bro had to go to the washroom because he was feeling sick. He puked 3 times so we called it quits.

Upper Body

This time, in the afternoon I went with my other bro, CanadianHomer to another gym.

Incline Dumbbell Chest Press
95x6
100x6

The elbow was ok, but I was a bit worried, so I held off on going to the 110's. This Monday I'll give it a go depending on how my elbow is.

Flat Dumbbel Fly
60x8

Plate Loaded Lat Pulldown
200x10

V Pulldown
190x8

One Armed Dumbbell Shoulder Press
60x10

Lateral Raise
25x8

Tricep Dumbbell Extension
25x10

Barbell Curl
100x5, 90x5, 70x5

Reflections
I was tiered. Clen has now stopped.

Maki Riddington
10-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Upper Body

Thanksgiving Day. Carbing up today.

110x6 Elbow felt tight on the last rep.

Flat Dumbbel Fly
70x6
75x6

Apex Plate Loaded Lat Pulldown
310x4 for 3 sets

70x5

Barbell Front Raise
60x8 for 2 sets

Bicep Dumbbel Curl
60x3, 50x3, 40x3

Close Grip Bench Press
155x6 for 2 sets

Reflections
I've pulled my right mid trapezuis muscle. It's been pulled for awhile now. Food has ben on and my strength is coming back in terms of feeling like I can really push myself. With this elbow injury, I'm trying to be cautious.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians out there!

ectx
10-11-2004, 03:13 PM
I sent you my review of that thing by email to your .ca account.

How do you tear your mid trap? Maybe you should have put your tongue on the roof of your mouth. :p

eitherway...well done on everything....a55clown. :p

Maki Riddington
10-14-2004, 08:24 AM
I sent you my review of that thing by email to your .ca account.

How do you tear your mid trap? Maybe you should have put your tongue on the roof of your mouth. :p

eitherway...well done on everything....a55clown. :p

*** Thanks.

Maki Riddington
10-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Lower Body

Leg Press
2 plates aside x5
4 plates aside x5
6 plates aside x5
7 plates aside x5
8 plates aside x5
8 plates aside x5
6 plates aside x5
5 plates aside x5

Reflections

I'm still fat. What's new? I recieved my ETS and multi vit from AtLarge. In January I will be stacking some Creatine, ETS and 4AD. That should be a productive stack.

Maki Riddington
10-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Upper Body

I wasn't feeling all that strong so I backed off on the weights.

Flat Bench Press
230x6
235x6
245x6
250x1

I had no drive in me during my sets. I did them, but they still felt heavy.

Close Grip Lat Pull Down
170x6 for 3 sets

supersetted

Seated Cable Face Pulls
30x12 for 3 sets

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
85x6

60x6

Seated Dumbbell Bicep Curl
40x4 for 2 sets

Unilateral Dumbbell Tricep Extension
30x10 for 2 sets

Reflections

I need to get into a gym with heavier weights. I feel that I'm short changing myself in the weight department by being limited to what I can lift when it comes to dumbbells.

I'm gonna look at getting a membership elsewhere this coming week.
My weight is now at 208.6.

Maki Riddington
10-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Upper Body

I was supposed to do lower body but my back was bothering me. I actually should have skipped the workout session, but i had an urge to do some sort of physical activity.

Flat Bench Press
250x5
250x4
250x6

This felt heavy, most of the stress was on my front delts and my internal rotators. I suppose it was because I was still feeling worn out from my Judo session last night.

Close Grip Lat Pulldown

This was supersetted with my bench press.
180x4 for 4 sets

Bicep Dumbbell Curl
20x15 for 3 sets

Unilateral Tricep Extension
30x10 for 3 sets

Cuban Press
10x8
10x6
10x6

Pathetic, but that's how worn out my shoulders were.

Reflections

The past couple days of eating have been off. I have a wedding to go to tonight so it'll be beers and all that other good stuff.

BigNic
10-17-2004, 02:19 PM
what are cuban presses?

getfit
10-17-2004, 03:40 PM
what are cuban presses?
it's like an upright row plus militay press in one .Hold a bar outside the shoulder width and pull the bar to your neck rotate your shoulders and then perform a military press and then let it slowly go back down to your waist

BigNic
10-17-2004, 04:06 PM
it's like an upright row plus militay press in one .Hold a bar outside the shoulder width and pull the bar to your neck rotate your shoulders and then perform a military press and then let it slowly go back down to your waist

ohhh cool. The rotation sounds like it would hurt my rear delts really bad. lol

getfit
10-17-2004, 04:09 PM
ohhh cool. The rotation sounds like it would hurt my rear delts really bad. lol
i've done them a few times i was ok give it a go and see how you feel!

Maki Riddington
10-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Here's a link to a good article with a picture and an explanation of the exercise.

http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=2&a=5

Maki Riddington
10-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Upper Body

I had to take a session off from pressing movements for my chest so I stuck with flys for the workout.

Flat Dumbbells Flys
60x6 (5 second eccentric)
65x6 (5 second eccentric)
70x6 for 2 sets (same)

I should have kept going up to the 80's but I didn' want to take away from my next chest session.

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
180x4 for 2 sets

Close Grip Lat Pulldown
190x4
200x4
Pfttt...no problem, I had way too much left in me.

Standing One Armed Shoulder Press
70x5

Cuban Press
15x8 for 2 sets

Dumbbell Skull Crushers
45x5

I stopped after tis set because I felt my right tricep tighten up and it almost instantly started to become irritated. The load was fine so that was nice.

Drop Barbell Curls
Barx10 for 2 sets

Reflections

Overall, now that I'm taking Judo, I know that I have to work on keeping my shoulders healthy and functionally strong which means lots of rotator cuff work is in order. My abs need work, and my forearms and wrists have to be strengthened.

My biceps strength has dropped since starting up Judo. I attribute this to all the grabbing that I do in class. They are almost always fatigued now, so I can't push them as hard. I have feeling that with my bicep plan I'm gonna devise they should blow up. One thing I've noticed is that gymnasts and football players have big biceps. Why? Because they do a lot of gripping work that revolves around the biceps. This brings me to the last exercise called the bicep drop curl. It is an exercise I stumbled across which in theory should produce a large gain in size and strength if applied properly.

On another note, I applied for a writing position with a small newspaper as a sports and entertainment writer. Hopefully I get a reply back.

JustinF
10-20-2004, 05:11 AM
Sessions are looking good maki. I know I'm lazy, but.....what ever happened with the law enforcement thing? You still going for it?

Maki Riddington
10-20-2004, 08:04 AM
It's on hold, I want to see where my career in fitness will lead me. Thank you for asking.:)

Maki Riddington
10-20-2004, 08:07 AM
Lower Body

I think I've pulled my right groin muscle. Boo hooo.

Unilateral Leg Press
150x10 for 3 sets

Bench Steps Ups
120x6 for 2 sets

Calf Raise
150x10 for 2 sets

Standing Hamstring Curl
60x4 for 3 sets

Reflections

Overall, this was a very light workout (poundage wise) due to my groin being pulled.

Maki Riddington
10-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Missed my upper body workout yesterday and today I decided to sleep in instead of waking up at 5:30am to work out. My Judo sesions are going well, I'm really enjoying them even though my elbow still is bothering me and putting a major damper on my pressing movements.

My bodyfat hasn't really gone down. According to the Tanita, I'm 18%. I'd post some pics but I don't know how to size the pics so they'll fit. Not that I want to, because I'm not satisfied with my body.

Nutrition alone will not do the job. I know that I must start being more active (doing cardio) I just hate it so much. Once a week isn't enough either. My aerobic base is horrible, so if and when I start I'll have to run. Yuck!!!

getfit
10-23-2004, 04:38 AM
Missed my upper body workout yesterday and today I decided to sleep in instead of waking up at 5:30am to work out. My Judo sesions are going well, I'm really enjoying them even though my elbow still is bothering me and putting a major damper on my pressing movements.

My bodyfat hasn't really gone down. According to the Tanita, I'm 18%. I'd post some pics but I don't know how to size the pics so they'll fit. Not that I want to, because I'm not satisfied with my body.

Nutrition alone will not do the job. I know that I must start being more active (doing cardio) I just hate it so much. Once a week isn't enough either. My aerobic base is horrible, so if and when I start I'll have to run. Yuck!!!
CARDIO=once a week tuttut ! c'mon maki get running!

ryuage
10-23-2004, 05:10 AM
I remember a long time ago you had success using a ckd...

Maki Riddington
10-23-2004, 08:55 PM
I know, I know. I suck. Maybe I should hire a trainer?

Anwyas, I was surfing through the archives and I found some pics from last year of me and my wife on our honeymoon.

getfit
10-23-2004, 08:57 PM
nice pics maki! get the cardio up!;)

Maki Riddington
10-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Will do!!

BigNic
10-23-2004, 08:59 PM
your upper body is looking a lot better then i remember it in the last pics of you i saw. Those wheel still huge?

lilmase1153
10-23-2004, 09:05 PM
damn nice pics maki.... keep up the cardio partner

AstronautJones
10-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Cool pics man. Where did you go for your honeymoon?

You look kind of like Antonio "Minotauro" Nogueira. Especially in the second pic.

ryuage
10-24-2004, 04:44 AM
looks like meeeeeeeeeehiico

Maki Riddington
10-24-2004, 02:01 PM
We went to Peurto Vallarta, more specifically Neuvo Vallarta. It's 30 mins outside of the city. I think I was about 202 in those pics. As for my legs, I think they're smaller, because of my lower back I've had trouble getting any decent leg workouts in.

I'll see if I can snap a shot of them, although I have no idea how to post them because the files are way too big to attatch.

ryuage
10-24-2004, 02:02 PM
just resize them

Maki Riddington
10-24-2004, 03:47 PM
I would, but my program doesn't seem to have that option. Or I can't find it.....

BigNic
10-24-2004, 03:47 PM
dload image mixer or somethin similar.

Maki Riddington
10-24-2004, 03:51 PM
I have an IMac. It seems that IPhoto does not have a resize button. I'll give it another look though. When I had a PC things were so much easier to do.

Blood&Iron
10-24-2004, 06:04 PM
I have an IMac.
Figures.

Maki Riddington
10-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Have I ever told you that I really hate your one liners.:)

Mystic Eric
10-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Send me your pics and I'll resize them for you.

Maki Riddington
10-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Ok, when I take my next batch I will do that. Thank you Eric.

chris6969
10-25-2004, 08:59 AM
I'm On The SeeFood Diet

Tight Muscles

I have diagnosed myself (through self testing) to have very tight glutes which contribute to my lower back pain and tight external hip rotators.

Ok, I only read the 1st page, so someone else probably mentioned this... but I just couldnt resist.....

You're such a TIGHT ASS. Losen up some bro. :) BTW, how did you self diagnose yourself? LOL (pictures trying to remove a stick from tight butt cheeks) - no offense.... your post just made me picture that.... lol

Maki Riddington
10-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Funny guy. Actually as bad as this sounds, my massage therapist told me after he massaged my ass. Plus I've noticed in Judo and in my stretching movements that I'm somewhat restricted in this area.

chris6969
10-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Funny guy. Actually as bad as this sounds, my massage therapist told me after he massaged my ass. Plus I've noticed in Judo and in my stretching movements that I'm somewhat restricted in this area.

LOL, ok enough homo-erotic comments. :) I actually need a massage therapist for my calves.. They are constantly tight. I can't make them grow!!! :(

BigNic
10-25-2004, 09:38 AM
uh oh, this journal is taking a turn for the worst. Soon itll be as bad as mine

Maki Riddington
10-26-2004, 07:17 AM
Upper Body

This is Saturday's workout. My elbow was really hurting me so I did what I could.

80x10 for 3 sets (that's the heaviest the gym goes to:()

Wide Grip Pull Up
BW plus 25 pounds x 6 reps (ouch my elbow)

Close Grip Lat Pull Down
210x4 (ouch, my elbow)

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
20x12 for 3 sets (killing my elbow by now)

150x10

Cuban Presses ss with my Lateral Raises
10x6 for 3 sets

Dumbbell Bicerp Curl
40x8
35x8

Unilateral Tricep Dumbbell Extension
30x10

Reflections

Too much pain, so I stopped and iced my elbow. Afterwards, it felt better, but it's still tender. My weight was at 213.6

Maki Riddington
10-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Upper Body

Monday's workout.

Flat Dumbbell Fly
55x8
60x6
65x6
70x6

I was babying my elbow so I took it slow.

Medium Grip Overhand Pulldowns
150x8 for 3 sets

Face Pulls
40x8
45x10

Pullovers
60x10 for 2 sets

Unsupported Dumbbell Shoulder Press ss Cuban Raises
50x10 ss 15x6
50x10 ss 15x6
At this point, this movement started to irritate my shoulder.

Lateral Raise
15x10 for 3 sets

Unilateral Tricep Dumbbell Extension
30x10 for 2 sets

Cocentration Curl
30x10 for 2 sets

Reflections

I ended off my session with 15 minutes of walking on the treadmill, hey it's a start. I also got a big bottle of Glucosamine, Fenugreek and Milk Thistle. I'm taking about 6 grams of the Glucosamine per day now.

My elbow is really holding me back and it's frusterating me!

Btw, I have an interview for a writing job this afternoon. I'm meeting the Editor at Starbucks. Wish me luck. It'll be a job writing pieces for a sports and entertainmet paper, a small one.

ryuage
10-26-2004, 08:27 AM
i thought ets was supposed to cure that? :P

BigNic
10-26-2004, 09:14 AM
good luck with the job

Manveet
10-26-2004, 10:24 AM
good luck

AstronautJones
10-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Good luck with that man.