PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Question

Mercuryblade
06-15-2004, 10:14 PM
I know... you read my weight and are like jesus man, you are trying to cut? But I happen to be *blessed* with an incredibly small frame, hence my low weight. I have a small bit of fat, and I'm looking to make my abs more visible I'm thinking of going on a 2 week low carb, low fat extravaganza. Is it smart for one to go on both low fat and low carb or do I risk losing what muscle mass I have? My low fat low carb regiman would consist of pretty much nothing but lean meats (turkey, tuna, lean beef,) green leafy salads (no iceberg lettuce,) with lowfat dressing, eggs cooked in a teflon pan with little butter, various kinds of beans. I also run roughly 6-10 miles per week, in addition to weightlifting. Does this plan just sound ridiculous? Should I go just low carb, or just low fat, or should I just watch what I eat and continue my aerobic program? The amount of fat I'm trying to lose is very small, and I'm hoping that once its off I can continue to eat normal and just keep exercising. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jan
06-15-2004, 10:16 PM
I didnt even know it was possible to lose pounds in only 2 weeks.. even if you cut calories by a thousand or more.. I thought it would take weeks for the body to adjust to the fact that calorie intake is being reduced..

Ive been cutting for a about 2 weeks and I havent really lost much..but then again Im trying to lose more then a few pounds..about 10 total....

Mercuryblade
06-15-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm just looking to drop off a few, maybe 2 or 3 pounds max, I just got out of lacrosse season, and I've been running since it ended, so the water weight isn't there, I was hoping that it was possible to destroy a couple pounds of fat in a short periods. I've heard that under diet and exercise one can lose a pound or two per week healthily.

Jasonl
06-15-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say it, don't cut. Both low-carb and really low-fat diets are a bad idea, the more balanced 40p/35c/25f split is the way to go. It is likely the reason you're not able to see your abs yet and feel like you need to lose fat is becuase you don't have a lot of lean mass in the first place. I would bulk, I can assure you that if you bulk, you WILL look more cut than you do now, thanks to the added mass.

embro
06-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Jason said it :thumbup:

More muscle = body burning more calories. Because right now, even if you loose these 2 or 3 pounds, you might not even see them, well probably not like you think you will. Two pounds wont make a real difference.

TheGimp
06-16-2004, 02:35 AM
It depends on your definition of low fat but a low fat diet is never a good idea. At least 20% of calories should be coming from healthy fats in order to maintain healthy hormone production. I think low carb diets can be very successful (currently on UD2.0 myself) but a more balanced diet is also perfectly good.

I too will say that I think you should bulk. Post some pics so we can make a more informed decision but I find it highly unlikely you need to cut at your weight.

Jan, sounds like you need to increase your calorie deficit, or perhaps it is too low and your body is in starvation mode. It should be reasonably easy to lose a pound a week.

Mercuryblade
06-16-2004, 05:26 PM
My internet has a virus and has been moving at about 1 kbs so I haven't been able to post any pictures. I have a very unique body type, and my height to weight ratio is very deceptive, I have a good bit of muscle mass already, everyone is always shocked when I tell them I weigh only 135, they usually put me at 150-160 range. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna post some pics when it gets fixed, so you guys can have a better idea of what im working with.