PDA

View Full Version : Cardio: Before or After???

snanthavong
02-16-2001, 01:49 AM
I know it's better to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach on non-lifting days, but I can't make it to the gym more than 3 days a week( on Wanna be big routine). My question is would it be better to do cardio before or after my workout? I lift for about 45-50 minutes in the morning on an empty stomcach. Please help....

Joe Black
02-16-2001, 02:21 AM
I have already posted my thoughts on lifting on an emtpy stomach..

I donlt train ni the morngin but if I was going to I would eat brekfast, go train and do cardio afterwards...

You need food in you to train hard, and doing cardio before weights will only tire you before weights.. Put the effort into weights and do cardio afterwards. :)

mesmall
02-16-2001, 04:19 AM
Like Hulk said, after 8 or so hours sleep your body will need something no matter what you are going to do.Try eating a hour before you go and do aerobics after.

Anthony
02-16-2001, 05:09 AM
I think I'm going to research the whole "cardio on an empty stomach" concept. I'm starting to think it's just a fad, or maybe not as important as people make out to be.

Twiztid
02-16-2001, 05:19 AM
Anthony,

It is. I notice a BIG change, doing Cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. It burns fat up to 300% more, and helps to burn fat for the rest of the day (when eating clean, I suppose).

Anyways, I have done both and didn't get very far with the cardio not on an empty stomach. It takes a few trips to get adjusted, but it's fine after that.

20 mins, intense cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is more effective then 30 - 60 mins of cardio later in the evening.

Bill Phillps says so, and I've seen the pictures, and read the research... and I believe the guy (shoot me!) heh

So yeah, speaking from experience on this one. Cardio on an empty stomach is working great for me, 300% more great to be technical :p

Twiztid

Spiderman
02-16-2001, 05:28 AM
snanthavong,
Cardio on an empty stomach will burn fat. But I'd take in a small amount of liquid carbs (Ripped or Extreme Ripped Force)10-15 minutes before-hand. That is if you do it on a non-lifting day. As for when to do it...do it After you lift. This is when your body is low on carbs and will be more apt to use fat for energy.
I cannot stress enough that lifting on an empty stomach is detrimental to progress, and does NOT burn fat. That is scientific fact. (well, that part about burning fat) If you do cardio, then lift you will have little to no energy to lift and the whole workout will suck! Again, I hope this helps. Take my advice, eat something before you lift and you WILL notice a difference. :cool:

Twiztid
02-16-2001, 07:25 AM
I agree with Spidey.

I eat 30 - 60 mins before a workout, but have tried it on an empty stomach as well. You burn out pretty quick, IMO anyways. My workout sucked that day.

Then again, the draw back of eating and working out 30 - 60 mins after, is your intensity level. I am not gonna say I am "hardcore" intense. Let's just say, breakfast has come "back up" before, when your pushing yourself so hard.. your bosy just says - "FOOD, COMING UP!"

Anyone else ever get this? Damn.. I was doing rows one day, and just pushed so hard on the last lift, and I just had to jet to the washroom.. it sucked, but at the same time.. I was like "Whoa! That was cool..."

hahahaha...

Twiztid

Anthony
02-16-2001, 09:45 AM
I know cardio on an empty stomach is the general consensus, but there is also a substantial amount of doctors and researchers that disagree with that claim. I'm doing some research on it, and will let you know if I find anything concrete. I'm not saying I oppose it 100%, I'm just going to sit on the fence awhile until I find more real info (as opposed to info from advertisements for supps!). :)

Maki Riddington
02-16-2001, 06:08 PM
Anthony after a night of rest your body has burned up to 80% of it's blood sugar levels.Which means if you were to do some sort of cardiovascular exercise your body will then tap into your glycogen stores as well as dipping into your fats stores,it's more complicated than that,I will find the reference to this.