PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate calories burned?

jimlynch11
06-16-2004, 06:47 PM
I work part time doing landscaping...which is basically 8-10 hours of mowing & weed wacking a day in the sun. When figuring my diet, how do I calculate how many calories I burn during a given day's work, since I'm assuming the normal 18x body weight wouldn't apply here...

geoffgarcia
06-16-2004, 08:04 PM
well you could monitor your heart rate at several times during the day to figure out how much your really exerting yourself...mowing and weedwhacking for 8-10 hours isn't extremely taxing...so I dont know how much ur gonna be burning there...
just because your sweating doesn't mean your burning calories galore...
18x bw doesn't apply anywhere....

Augury
06-16-2004, 08:11 PM
I bet you have a hella tan tho. Lucky person! Im so pale :(((

Monitor what you eat for 2 weeks. If your weight hasnt changed, thats prolly about what your maintenance calories are. if you want to bulk, add 500 cals per day and see what happens. Adjust as needed till you gain. it really is trial and error in the end for the first 3-4 weeks till you get it down.

Augs

jimlynch11
06-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks Augs...I'll keep tabs on everything to figure out the long term scenario...

for the short term - On fitday you can put in activities and it tells you calories burned for your body weight/height. "mowing the lawn" rings up at 4100 cals burned for 10 hours. This seems really steep. Any insight?

TheGimp
06-17-2004, 02:34 AM
Attempts to calculate calories burned are flawed because there are too many variables that are not taken into account. Your body composition and weight will greatly affect things. As Augs says just determine through experimentation what your maintenance calories are and how much you should be eating to cut/bulk.

dxiw
06-17-2004, 01:08 PM
also were you walking mowing continuously for 10 hours or mowing for one hour then took a break, ate, talked to some buddies then mowed again?

I doubt you walked mowing for 10 hours straight as your legs would fall off, so fitday isn't that wrong..

attica
06-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Another angle to consider is getting a heart rate monitor. Some of them even calculate calories burned (Polar does this I'm pretty sure). I can't speak for the accuracy of the calculation, and it probably isn't as close as the monitoring plan suggested by Augury, but it's a little more short term and might put you in the right ballpark.

lillyadams79
06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Monitoring <a href="http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned">Calories Burned</a> during your workout routine could be really helpful in keeping you motivated. I use this website that tells you how many calories were burned during the exercise you did that day http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_calories_burned