PDA

View Full Version : Please review my nutrition plan!

LatinoMustang
06-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi! I'm new on this forum. I have a nutrition plan that I want to share here and get some feedback.

First, a little about myself....I'm 28 years old. I am 6'0" tall and I weigh about 212 lbs. I am not an advanced bodybuilder with washboard abs. I am more of an intermediate/average guy who has bee lifting for a couple of years but needs to lose more fat. I've made some modest gains for a guy who works mainly in an office but I want to be bigger and more visible.

My goals:
1. My primary goals is to lose fat and those love handles. I look ok now but I want to lose a couple more inches and firm up the midsection.
2. My secondary goal is to gain more muscle, look bigger without sacrificing my fat loss goal. I actually wish I could do this along with my 1st goal but I read about how difficult it is to do both at the same time.

What I'm doing....
- I'm eating about 1800 - 2000 calories a day. I cheat 1 day a week so I don't go nuts.
- I try to eat a lot pf protein, about 1gram per 1lb. of my weight. (many days i find this impossible for some reason, what do you think?)
- I drink plenty of water, try to eat healthy carbs, and I eat small meals about 5-6 times a day.
- I take Xenadrin.
- As far as exercise goes, I'm bodybuilding about 3-4 times a week, maybe about 45minutes to 1 hr. each session. I do cardio about 2-3 times a week for about 45 minutes each session.

Ok...what do you think about this plan? Where am I making mistakes and what can I do to improve? So far I have a lost weight but I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. Thanks in advance!

TheGimp
06-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Do you have any idea of your maintenance calories? It sounds like your calorie deficit may be a little large for your weight but if you're cheating once a week that should help to give your metabolism a boost.

Protein definitely aim for 1g/lb of bodyweight. If you're having trouble meeting this then perhaps you need to supplement. If you're already doing this then you need to rethink your food choices as it should be reasonably easy to meet this goal.

You don't mention fat. At least 20% of daily calories should come from fats to maintain healthy hormone production. Good sources would be avocados, olive oil, fish, fish oil, and nuts.

Sounds like you're spending the right amount of time in the gym lifting, although you may want to post your routine in more detail to get feedback on that. The cardio makes it even more important to be careful you're not starving your body.

LatinoMustang
06-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Do you have any idea of your maintenance calories? It sounds like your calorie deficit may be a little large for your weight but if you're cheating once a week that should help to give your metabolism a boost.

Protein definitely aim for 1g/lb of bodyweight. If you're having trouble meeting this then perhaps you need to supplement. If you're already doing this then you need to rethink your food choices as it should be reasonably easy to meet this goal.

You don't mention fat. At least 20% of daily calories should come from fats to maintain healthy hormone production. Good sources would be avocados, olive oil, fish, fish oil, and nuts.

Sounds like you're spending the right amount of time in the gym lifting, although you may want to post your routine in more detail to get feedback on that. The cardio makes it even more important to be careful you're not starving your body.

You mentioned some good points....
- I did calculate my maintenance calorie intake which is between 2800 to 3000 calories a day. I had to make adjustments of eating 1800 calories a day because at one point I wasn't seeing results at all. But then again maybe the Xenadrin is helping out now.

- As far as fat goes, I honestly don't pay too much attention to this area and maybe I should. I like to eat dry roasted peanuts almost daily and I know I get good fat from this. I don't pay attention to fats because I'm not eating anything like chocolates, pastries, etc. on a daily basis except maybe on cheating days, and I'm trusting I'm getting enough good fat from other sources.

- I'm constantly changing my gym routine. This is what I'm intending to follow:
Mondays - Chest/Shoulders
Tuesday - Back/Biceps
Wednesday - Cardio (Jogging 30 min., cycling 15 min.)
Thursday -Legs
Friday- Chest/Triceps
Sat - Cardio (Jogging 30 min., stair climber 20 min.)
Sun - Cardio (Any type for about 45min.

Sometimes I do light cardio after a weightlifting routine. I read that this cuts into the fat if done immediately after. On other occasions I do something like "chest and back" to excite my routine. This is what I meant by constantly changing.

Just to let you know...I'm also doing back therapy type exercise to strengthen my lower back. I am easing into squats and deadlifts slowly. I hurt my lower back 1 year ago doing these types of exercises. It's not bad, but Itend to get minor reoccuring pain in that lower back area.

TheGimp
06-19-2004, 12:15 PM
A 1000 a day calorie deficit sounds pretty extreme to me. I would turn your cheat day into more of a refeed, eat say 4000 calories and try to make it cleanish. If your body goes into starvation mode the weight loss will grind to a halt.

I would work out your fat intake for a day and see whether you are meeting 20% of calories. Any lower than this and testosterone production (amongst other hormones) will shut down and it can have other effects such as depression.

Routine sounds fine, just making sure you're not one of those people that only do upper body :) The post workout cardio sounds like it will eat into your muscle gains, depleting you of glycogen when your muscles need it most.

LatinoMustang
06-19-2004, 12:29 PM
A 1000 a day calorie deficit sounds pretty extreme to me. I would turn your cheat day into more of a refeed, eat say 4000 calories and try to make it cleanish. If your body goes into starvation mode the weight loss will grind to a halt.

I would work out your fat intake for a day and see whether you are meeting 20% of calories. Any lower than this and testosterone production (amongst other hormones) will shut down and it can have other effects such as depression.

Routine sounds fine, just making sure you're not one of those people that only do upper body :) The post workout cardio sounds like it will eat into your muscle gains, depleting you of glycogen when your muscles need it most.

- What do you mean by cleanish?

- I'll make sure my fat intake is like 20% and monitor it. There have been days when I feel irritated, maybe like I need a snickers bar or something, probably due to not eating enough good fats.

- I think I'll stop the post workout cardio then and limit it to cardio days. I don't want to destroy my muscle gains. Yeah, I'd like a bigger upper body like eveybody else but I can't ignore legs from what I read. I'll be working on doing more squats, and hopefully deadlifts but in good form so as to not mess up my lower back. Thanks.

I've been reading about nutrition and bodybuilding for 3 years and I still don't know half the knowledge. I find myself always adapting to new ways.

Jezmason
06-19-2004, 02:30 PM
By cleanish he means good, complex carbs and essential beneficial fats. Eg for carbs eat less sugars and more whole wheat products (whole wheat bread, pasta, ryvetas, rice etc). And instead of eating foods that have bad fats in eat foods that have eesential fats in like most fish and some meat (which you will also get protein from). And keep your fat low(ish). On my cut i have been eating 1800 aswell, 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat (9 g fat in 1 calorie, and 4g protein in a calorie, carbs aswell. So i can have 50% protein(225g)/30% carbs(135g)/20% beneficial fat(40g)=1800 calories a day. Also i have a cheat day at 3000 cals to give my metabolism a boost.

Jezmason
06-19-2004, 02:30 PM
But im starting The Ultimate Diet 2.0 on monday.

TheGimp
06-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Like Jezmason says I mean you can eat a lot, but make it decent food. By cleanish rather than clean I mean if you currently use your cheat day to satisfy cravings with junk food then something like pizza would be acceptable as it is a reasonable source of protein and complex carbs (and depending on how it is prepared it could have a decent fat profile if olive oil is used) but something like chocolate or sweets would not (empty calories).

I too find that body building is constantly a learning process. I often find myself looking back on a routine or diet and wondering how I could have been so naive :)

LatinoMustang
06-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks for your feedback guys. :)