PDA

View Full Version : So, how does this diet look?

Coleman
06-20-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm going to be starting a bulk over summer. My doctor told me that I wasn't eating often enough (I usually only eat lunch and supper) and that I wasn't eating enough. Now I have to eat 6 meals a day so I thought I might as well include some sort of bulk in this as I'll be eating a lot of extra food.

This isn't finalized yet. I plan on adding a protein shake twice a day and then figuring out how many calories is in this and what I need to be at and then adjusting.

Meal 1:
3 eggs
Banana
A cup of fruit (probably mellons)

Meal 2:
A sandwich (either turkey or tuna) on whole wheat
A protein bar

Meal 3:
Garden or spinich salad with a cooked chicken breast.
Cut up brocili and cauliflaur (sp? on both)
An apple

Meal 4:
Yougart
An apple

Meal 5:
Either chicken, steak or pork
Potatoes or rice
Vegetables

Meal 6:
More vegetables
Another serving of protein.

How does that look? I'm sure that for bodybuilding purposes it is going to need some tweaking so any input would be great. Any foods that you think I should add please tell me.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate the help.

Jasonl
06-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Looks pretty clean, just make sure the steak you're eating is lean. Also, counting your calories would be a good idea. Just imput all the foods into www.fitday.com, get all the totals and post them up.

lex
06-20-2004, 02:25 PM
u need some EFA's...like some peanut butter or some nuts

Jasonl
06-20-2004, 03:01 PM
u need some EFA's...like some peanut butter or some nuts
Yeah, nuts are good, but fish oil and flax are the best source of EFA's.

Maxgain
06-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Get your EFAs from fish oil and the rest of your fat from sources such as olive oil or nuts which are a great calorie gain. The saturated fat of the steak is grand as you a re varying different days and the rest of your diet is clean. It is essential you get certain amounts of saturated fat in for cholestrol for cell functioning and hormone production unless of course you suffer from some sort of hypercholestolaemia.
Amentioned workout the calories on fitday and if you are not gaining about a pound a week with a proper training regieme up about 500 cals until you are

TheGimp
06-21-2004, 02:28 AM
Nuts are a very poor source of EFAs. Walnuts would be the best, but only as supplementation to fish (or flax) oil, which is something your diet is missing Coleman. Also mix your protein in your last meal with milk to slow digestion before bed or use a slow digesting protein like casein. Other than that it's looking pretty good. Try it for a week or so and see how much weight you gain, then adjust it accordingly.

Coleman
06-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm going to the health food store to pick up some protein and dextrose (heard its good to add a bit with a protein shake) then I'm going to the gym to renew my membership and start hitting the weights again. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Kal-El
06-30-2004, 11:09 AM
That looks pretty balanced... Have you checked the protien totals with this though? I have heard you need 2g of protien for every pound of bodywieght you posess... Which means I need 400G of protien PER DAY!? That is a lot of $$$. Any ideas?

Aspect
06-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Kal-El, I think that estimation is a little high - the normal recommendation is around 2g per kilo of bodyweight, or 1g per pound. There's no evidence that any more than that is beneficial.

Coleman, I think everything's already been said - your diet looks good in that you're eating a lot of unprocessed foods and are getting a decent variety. But you need more fats, ideally from fish, some oils (flax oil, olive oil, canola oil), nuts etc. And as TheGimp said, you just need to monitor what you're eating and how much weight you gain, and adjust accordingly as time goes by.

geoffgarcia
06-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Kal-El, I think that estimation is a little high - the normal recommendation is around 2g per kilo of bodyweight, or 1g per pound. There's no evidence that any more than that is beneficial.
actually I've read a few studies that shows there is...but I'm not in the mood to dig them up right now...

Aspect
06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Sorry, that was poor wording - I ought to have said there was no conclusive evidence. There are some studies which conclude that eating >2g/kg may allow faster lean mass gains. Likewise, there are studies which show that eating >2g/kg doesn't have any effect on lean mass gains, and I believe the latter vastly outnumber the former. The former also tend to be conducted on smaller test groups (at least, those studies I've read - there may of course be others I'm not aware of).

Most recommendations I've read (including those which acknowledge the first set of studies) are for strength athletes / bodybuilders to consume between 1.2 and 2 grams of protein per kilo of bodyweight.

For someone like Kal-El though, I'd suggest that the best idea is simply to experiment. Pick a protein total that you feel may be right, and try it for a couple of months. Then try with more or less for a couple of months (while keeping total calories and trianing comparable). If one worked better than the other, then stick with that.

Kal-El
06-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I may have misunderstood my friend. I am a Canadian, and my conversion is a little off, eh. How many kilos are in a pound?

Aspect
06-30-2004, 12:53 PM
1 kilo is about 2.2 pounds. So if you were to aim at 2 grams protein per kilo, that's roughly 1 gram protein per pound.

Kal-El
06-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Phew! Now I can call the bank and cancel the 2nd mortgage request! Thanks a MILLION! This will be MUCH easier to maintain. This site kicks ass.