PDA

View Full Version : NHE and "Impact Carbs"

geoffgc
06-20-2004, 09:46 PM
I'm gettin back on NHE this week, and due to serious lack of time, have been turning to store bought quick foods for meals.

One I favor is the Myoplex Carb-Sense bars which claim to have only "2 grams of impact carbs". Here is the nutritional info: LINK (http://register.eas.com/OA_HTML/ProductNutrition/MyoplexCarbSenseBar.html)

Is this to be trusted?

I realize NHE is not a strict Keto diet (except the first week or so), but I don't want to be fooled by over-zealous marketing into eating carbs that stall the diet.

Thanks.

geoffgc
06-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Here is their explanation from the nutritional info:

This bar delivers 2 grams of Impact Carbs. Impact Carbs, including sugars and starches, are the carbohydrates that have a significant impact on blood glucose levels and should be monitored as part of your Low-Carb lifestyle. Other carbs, including glycerine, have minimal impact on blood sugar levels. Total Carbohydrates in the Nutrition Facts box includes dietary fiber, impact carbs and other carbs.

Franco
06-21-2004, 03:33 AM
Just minus the fibre from the total carbs.

Another point regarding the shift I'd like to make is that if you normally eat a healthy balanced diet and train regularly you will not require the full seven days to make the shift. I first tried the diet out I only needed four days. Recently I have gone back to it and made the transistion after 3 days, the actual 7 days seems to have more onus on sedentary individuals who eat a higher degree of processed foods.

the doc
06-21-2004, 06:05 AM
yes i agree with fangel. I have found the shift takes about 3-4 days, and then i move in to the 60g or less carb phase

pruneman
06-21-2004, 06:38 AM
I believe that impact carbs refer to the carbs that will affect blood glucose. Impact carbs do not include sugar alcohols because they do not affect blood glucose. That bar probably contains a lot of sugar alcohols. Don't be fooled, it still contains 20g of carbs.

TheGimp
06-21-2004, 06:58 AM
The real questions are - will sugar alcohols kick you out of ketosis and what are their effect on muscle glycogen levels?

the doc
06-21-2004, 07:54 AM
in large enough quantity both sugar alcohols and protein can kick you out of ketosis

geoffgc
06-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Not only did I have a myoplex bar a day, but I've been having my usual guilty amount of Diet Coke to get some caffeine energy and try and kill the sweets craving.

Now I think I might extend the 'first week' process out a few more days, and try to really eat clean to get the correct transition going. :whiner:

Holto
06-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Impact carbs do not include sugar alcohols because they do not affect blood glucose

I'm really curios about this

how does a sugar alcohol enter your body without effecting blood glucose?

it seems to me that unless it's metabolized by the liver it will effect BGL...

I think this is more BS the supp pirates are trying to sell us

the doc
06-21-2004, 11:21 AM
yes i agree

pruneman
06-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Sorry...that should read "significantly affect." I don't understand it either...it doesn't make much sense. That is just what the lable says.

geoffgc
06-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Good news. I went and bought some Ketostix Monday, and tested in the morning. Definitely positive for Ketosis. So, I will cut out the Myoplex bars and get down to 1 or 0 diet cokes a day.

I'm just happy because this means I can start my first carb load tonight as scheduled! I sure am feeling drained after 9 days of this...

AllUp
06-22-2004, 01:21 PM
in large enough quantity both sugar alcohols and protein can kick you out of ketosis
Seems accurate in my experiences. Although you can have say 12net carbs- If you have say 150g carbs from sugar alchohol your ass WILL get booted outta ketosis. :p

Thats what it seems like when you have larger no/low carb meals.

the doc
06-23-2004, 07:18 AM
for ketosis one can have larger meals, but the mistake most make is to have to much protein and not balance it off with enough fat to remain in ketosis

however, except for the 1st week, the regular NHE plan is not a ketogenic diet