PDA

View Full Version : Improving deadlift PR w/o squat movements

Max-Mex
06-21-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm planning to work on my deadlift next month and have a few questions about Westside. Let me preface this post with some info. The reason I'm trying to improve my DL is I hurt my shoulder and I plan to take a month off from any direct (and some indirect) shoulder work. One of the lifts that aggravates my shoulder is squats. So my question is, is it still possible to improve my DL w/o doing an squat lifts (box, speed, goodmornings)? Is squat work really neccessary to imrpove the dead?

Anthony
06-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Of course you can improve your deadlift without squatting. I'd probably rotate some platform pulls, rack pulls, speed pulls, and good old normal deadlifts. :)

Max-Mex
06-21-2004, 07:50 AM
That's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if I would be limiting myself by not being able to do some of the assistance work or the speed work. I wish my gym had a safety bar. That would help some.

Relentless
06-21-2004, 08:27 AM
no reason you can't sub in leg press for squats to continue to develop your quads for assistance purposes, too

Max-Mex
06-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Well, that was part of my plan. Last thing I need is for my legs quads to weaken.

Saturday Fever
06-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Also experiment and vary your stances when doing deads, rack pulls, platofmr deads, etc. It would be beneficial as well to pull SLDL with varying stances.

Max-Mex
06-21-2004, 11:20 AM
I wish I could do rack pulls. The one and only cage in my gym has no safety pins. I could probably set something up using plates stacked on top of each other.

Would varying stance help even if I only pull using a sumo stance?

Saturday Fever
06-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Would varying stance help even if I only pull using a sumo stance?

Definitely. You will still be using the same muscles to lift the weight, but the change in stance will be a fresh variation for your CNS.

WannabeSmalljjk
06-22-2004, 02:10 PM
You probably could have posted the same question on elitefts, they would probably give far better advice. I don't know if you have access to any of these machines but I would use the reverse hyper and glute hamd raise more often, also if you can find a belt squat machine you would be able to squat without putting stress on the shoulders. Ever consider rehab movements instead of taking time off?

Saturday Fever
06-22-2004, 02:28 PM
You probably could have posted the same question on elitefts, they would probably give far better advice. I don't know if you have access to any of these machines but I would use the reverse hyper and glute hamd raise more often, also if you can find a belt squat machine you would be able to squat without putting stress on the shoulders. Ever consider rehab movements instead of taking time off?

Thank you for being so condescending. :thumbup:

But for what it's worth, the question has been posed to the Westside guys at elitefts about 20 months ago and they gave me the advice I passed to Max.