PDA

View Full Version : banana for post workout?

swt_asian_soul
06-21-2004, 05:51 PM
I was just wondering if fruit juice doesn't fair well after a workout if a banana along with a protein shake will? I mean a banana does contain simple carbs essential after a workout

Maki Riddington
06-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Yes it does. It is a decent source. Personally I love bananas so I'll eat one of them pre and post workout with my shake.

John Williams
06-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Supposedly fructose replenishes live glycogen rather than muscle glycogen, doesn't promote a large insulin response, and reduces the number of fat calories burned for energy.

But like Maki, I love bananas. And I actually saw good results from drinking 30 grams of whey in water and eating 2 bananas for a PWO shake during my last bulking cycle. So if you like bananas, I'd say go for it.

Maki Riddington
06-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Good to see you on the board John.:) The reason I feel bananas wouldn't be such a poor choice if one was going to resort to using fruit post workout is becase of it's nutritonal breakdown.

Although bananas do have fructose they also contain dextrose. But, generally speaking, fruit can be placed appropriately in ones diet so it can be enjoyed without having to worry about it being converted to fat.

1 Medium Banana
Sugars, total 14.43g
Sucrose 2.82g
Glucose (dextrose) 5.88g
Fructose 5.72g

TheGimp
06-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Also bear in mind that the sugar content of a banana depends greatly on its ripeness, as the starches are broken down into simple sugars.

I don't really have set pre and postworkout carbs and generally have whatever is to hand and I fancy, and I often have bananas.

Deathwish
06-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Bananas are great because they contain sucrose, fructose, and glucose. Not to mention they taste great in shakes.

John Williams
06-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Good to see you on the board John.:)

Although bananas do have fructose they also contain dextrose. But, generally speaking, fruit can be placed appropriately in ones diet so it can be enjoyed without having to worry about it being converted to fat.

1 Medium Banana
Sugars, total 14.43g
Sucrose 2.82g
Glucose (dextrose) 5.88g
Fructose 5.72g

Thanks for the welcome Maki :)

Good point, bananas are definitely a superior fruit choice for PWO.