PDA

View Full Version : White bread/bread crumps/corn oil=Bad or Good?

PYRO
06-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Why do we need to avoid white bread? I tried the Freihofer white and whole wheat bread. The white bread tastes way better, actually all wheat bread tastes bad. Both breads have almost same % of calories, fat, protein. The only difference is the carbs. Anyway, does it make it any better if i toast the bread.

I used bread crumps; Progresso cal 110, total fat 1.5 g, sodium 430mg, total carbs 20 g, protein 4g.
You guys use bread crumps? If i don't use it, my chicken ends up burned or harden. Love it cause is convenient.

I know, corn oil is gotta go. To replace it, extra virgin olive oil or just any virgin oil will do. BTW, oven is broken + no ventilation in my apt + summertime. Fry my meat all the time.
Looking forward your comments

:newbie:

John Williams
06-21-2004, 07:38 PM
White bread has almost no fiber, and a lot of the vitamins are removed during milling. So whole grain bread is a superior choice.

Virgin olive oil is a good choice - good source of monounsaturated fats. As far as other oils, try to get them from foods like nuts (particularly walnuts), and fish, to increase your omega 3's.

Spartan936
06-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Whole grains are definitely better for the body. Yes they have the same carbs, fats, and calories, but they have way more nutrients in general, like fiber, and they aren't tough on the body like white bread is. If you're bulking white bread isn't terrible; it's just not the best choice.

geoffgarcia
06-21-2004, 09:49 PM
You guys use bread crumps? If i don't use it, my chicken ends up burned or harden. Love it cause is convenient.
BTW, oven is broken fry my meat all the time.
I'd imagine the reason your burning your meat is your temperature is to high.
From the sound of it ur breadcrumb are merely elevating the chicken or meat off of the hot surface and that buffer is sparing your food.

You can duplicate an oven environment by putting a top on your pan, lowering the temperature and letting your chicken cook for 30-45 minutes that way.
or you could always boil it.

if you want to continue frying use a non stick pan and don't use any oil at all or any of that non stick chemical junk, its not needed.

breadcrumbs and crakers of all sorts tend to be very high in hydrogenated fats. The process in which they are made lends itself to this. Unfortunately the FDA hasn't deemed it necessary (yet) for hydrogenated or trans fats to be added to the nutrition labels of foods...I think its only a few years away

TheGimp
06-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Wholewheat versions contain more phytonutrients, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. White bread is not terrible, but wholewheat is so much better.