PDA

View Full Version : Dissipate's Skill, Strength & Balance Journal

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

dissipate
06-22-2004, 01:24 AM
I figured this is the best way to get advice on my daily eating habits and activity because I might not know if I'm doing anything wrong. With this online journal I'll also feel accountable to everyone here and get motivated (or pressured :D). So here we go on my quest to 15% bodyfat!

Current stats
-------------
Sex: Female
Height: 1.64m/5'4
Weight: 57kg/126lbs
Bodyfat: 31% (Tanita feet)

TDEE: 1696.75 cals
Take away 20% for fat-burning plan: 1357.4 cals
50% carbs = 678.7 cals / 169.675g
30% protein = 407.22 cals / 101.805g
20% fat = 271.48 cals / 30.164g
(Will change in 1 or 2 days because I'm about to start 30min cardio every morning soon)

Breakfast (8am):
- 2 cups of tea with 2 tbsp skim milk and 1 tsp Equal artificial sweetener
- 1/3 cup instant oatmeal & 1/3 cup Post Great Grains Pecan Crunch cereal with 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 boiled egg whites
- 1/8 guava

Snack (11am):
- 2 tbsp low fat cottage cheese
- 0.5 can Diet Coke
- 1 slice Gardenia Multi-Grain Bread
- 1 tbsp tostitos medium salsa

Lunch (2:30pm):
- 2 slices Gardenia Multi-Grain Bread
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato
- 2 slices Healthy Choice turkey breast (deli turkey)
- 2 boiled egg whites
- 0.5 can Diet Coke
- 3 small chocolate coated coffee beans

Snack (5pm):
- 2 boiled egg whites
- 1/8 guava

Dinner (7pm):
- 1 cup whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 cups bolognese gravy containing olive oil, tomato puree, fresh tomatoes, onions, italian seasoning, 150g weight-watcher's minced beef
- 3 large lettuce leaves

Total: 1334/1357cals, 46.4/30.2g fat, 138.6/169.7g carbs, 96.6/101.8g protein

Activity Today:
- Grocery shopping

TheGimp
06-22-2004, 02:41 AM
Diet is looking pretty good, how close is it to your total macronutrient needs? Fat looks a little low, I would say 20% is a lower limit. You should supplement with some fish oil for essential fatty acids (EFAs). How much time is there before your last meal and bed? Some slow digesting protein before bed is a good idea to prevent catabolism.

Good luck with things :)

PS. I wouldn't trust the Tanita very much.

dissipate
06-22-2004, 06:08 AM
Thanks!!

The diet either overshoots or undershoots all the time. Yeah I am having a bit of a problem with fat because I go over the limit almost all the time. Carbs and protein only over or under a little. Does that mean my allowance for fats should be higher???

After I begin daily morning cardio I plan to keep track of how effective the fat burning is and if it's not as fast as I'd like it to be, I might decrease carbs to 40% and increase the other two.

You should supplement with some fish oil for essential fatty acids (EFAs).
Like eating fish?

There are about 3/1/2 hours between my last meal and bed. I try to sleep at 11pm.

What're examples of slow digesting protein? Could they turn into fat while I'm asleep??

Dear Tanita! Yeah I read lots of complaints about BIA here heh. I guess I'll be using it only for a rough estimate and to track bodyfat changes.

I just realised after totalling up everything on CalorieKing.com Desktop Diet Diary that I overshot fat a lot today!!! What did I eat wrong?!?!?

TheGimp
06-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Does that mean it should be higher???
Perhaps lower carbs to 45% and up fat to 25%. Remember that fat is not the enemy and is required for healthy hormone production. Good sources of fat are: avocados, nuts, fish and fish oil, and olive oil.

Like eating fish?
Fish oil is a supplement. You can get it in capsules or a bottle of oil from health food shops. Fish contain healthy fats but taking fish oil is a more efficient way of getting EFAs. I believe the recommended daily dosage is about 5 - 15g.

What're examples of slow digesting protein? Could they turn into fat while I'm asleep??
Cottage cheese would be ideal. The casein protein in the cottage cheese forms a gel in the stomach and digests slowly over a period of about 7 hours, preventing muscle loss. There is nothing magical about fat storage when sleeping. At the end of the day (no pun intended) if you eat more calories than maintenance you will store them as muscle and fat. (And vice versa if you eat below maintenance).

dissipate
06-22-2004, 08:46 PM
My bodyfat measured 20% on a BIA machine using the hands. A horrible difference of 11%! So I might actually be closer to 15% than I know. I probably should take a skinfold test instead. Anyone know how to do it without callipers?

TheGimp
06-23-2004, 02:53 AM
One of the best easy ways of determining changes in fat levels is with a tape measure. As a guy I just do a waist measurement but I'm guessing something else would be more appropriate for a gal :)

And just seeing whether there is a difference in the mirror is good ;) Bear in mind however that you see yourself in the mirror every day and changes can be very gradual. Taking some pics can be good for checking progress over a longer time span like months.

dissipate
06-23-2004, 03:47 AM
As a guy I just do a waist measurement but I'm guessing something else would be more appropriate for a gal
eh?

Taking some pics can be good for checking progress over a longer time span like months.
good idea! thanks!

Today

BIA Bodyfat: 20% (hands)

Breakfast (8am):
- 2 cups of tea with 2 tbsp skim milk and 1 tsp Equal artificial sweetener
- 1/3 cup instant oatmeal & 1/3 cup Post Great Grains Pecan Crunch cereal with 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 boiled egg whites

Snack (11am):
- 1 tbsp low fat cottage cheese
- 1 boiled egg white

Lunch (12:15pm):
- 1 bread bun
- chicken chop (grilled chicken, leg quarter), 1/1/2 boiled potatoes, chopped carrots and peas
- 1 cup of tea with a bit of milk

Snack (5pm):
- 1/3 pommelo

Dinner (8pm):
- Japanese buffet

Activity Today:
- 30min treadmill, interval training

Notes:
everything is a bit messed up today because we had people coming over to deliver stuff and fix stuff in the house. I went out for lunch with my mother to a restaurant serving Western food and ordered a set but didn't drink the creamy corn soup ($2 to change it to clear soup), asked for the boiled potatoes instead of fries, didn't take the desert (egg tart) and drank tea without sugar (there wasn't any artificial sweetener). *sigh* this is tough.

i'll be going out for dinner later and i hope i don't overeat! it's a japanese buffet dinner with my family and they serve all sorts of japanese food and seafood mmm.......

probably will have to put in extra time on the cardio tomorrow :p

TheGimp
06-23-2004, 04:42 AM
Men tend to store body fat on their waist and their lower back - hence bellies and love handles. A good way of tracking fat loss progress for a guy therefore is using a tape measure to measure their waist and see if it is decreasing.

Women tend to store body fat on their hips - hence "thunder thighs". I'm guessing therefore that a measurement around the hips would be more appropriate but having very little experience in this area (;)) I am unsure.

dissipate
06-24-2004, 06:00 AM
Ahhh. I'll try and find a bendable tape measure to do that! Thanks for the suggestion!

Today

Mini breakfast (8am):
- 1 cup of tea with a bit of skim milk and Equal
- 1 slice turkey breast (deli)

Real Breakfast (9am):
- 1 cup of tea with a bit of skim milk and Equal
- 1/3 cup oats with 1/3 cup post grains pecan crunch and 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 slice turkey breast (deli)

Lunch (12noon):
- 1 Chinese dumpling (glutinous white rice and pork)
- 3 medium lettuce leaves

Snack (1:30pm):
- 1/2 can Diet Coke
- 1/8 guava

Snack (4:30pm):
- 1/8 guava
- 1/2 apple
- 1 Chinese dumping

Dinner (7pm):
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1/3 cup tofu
- 1/2 cup pork
- 5 big stalks of green vegetables

Activity:
- 30 mins treadmill interval training at 8:30am

Notes:
Yesterday at the buffet Japanese dinner, I had lots of sashimi, a bowl of ramen, some salad that was made up of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, some tempura and egg nog. And we started eating at 8pm even. I felt like I might have eaten too much last night so I decided to have a slight calorie deficit today.

Couldn't really calculate the total amount of calories I ate today and whether the macronutrient needs were fulfilled because I'm not able to find nutritional information on Asian food anywhere! A rough estimate says there was a deficit on carbs and a bigger deficit on protein. I think I should've taken a bigger deficit on carbs rather than protein.

Right now I'm feeling hungry still and I just had dinner 1 hour ago. I think I'll drink some rather to fill myself up. Have to re-calculate my TDEE and factor in the early morning cardio too.

chops
06-24-2004, 10:52 PM
yay, another female. welcome !

chops
06-24-2004, 10:52 PM
sounds like todai.

dissipate
06-25-2004, 07:28 AM
Hello chops! Thanks for dropping in! Todai?

Yesterday about 1 hour after typing in what I ate, my stomach was hurting and I could feel gastric pains creeping up so I ate some leftover vegetables and pork from dinner and a scoop of peanut butter and felt much better.

Today

Re-calculation of TDEE = 2004.77
After 20% calorie deficit = 1603.816

50% carbs = 802 cals / 200g
30% protein = 481 cals / 120g
20% fat = 321 cals / 36g

Breakfast (8:30am):
- 2 cups of tea with a bit of skim milk and Equal
- 1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup skim milk
- 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg scrambled

Lunch (1:30pm):
- Fish noodle soup (rice noodles with sliced boiled fish and some vegetables)

Snack (5pm):
- 1/2 can Diet Coke
- 1 slice multi-grain bread with salsa on top

Dinner (7pm):
- 3/4 cup steamed rice
- 1/3 cup tofu
- 1/2 cup pork
- 5 big stalks of green vegetables
- 1/8 guava

Activity:

Leg Extension
15/13/10/F @ 75/80/85/75

Leg Curl
15/15/F @ 55/60/65

Lat Raises
15/10/15 @ 7.5/10/7.5

Sit-ups
3 x 15

Squats (Smith Machine)
3 x 15 @ 50/55/60

Deadlifts (Smith Machine)
3 x 15 @ 50/55/55

Notes:
Re-calculated my TDEE after a few days of being more hungry more often. I haven't changed the macronutrient ratios yet because I want to see how my body responds and it's easier to track down changes when I change one thing at one time. My bodyfat hasn't changed yet so far and if it doesn't go down by maybe end of this week, I might either change the ratios or try calorie cycling.

Horrible timing again today with the food from the lack of planning and carrying food around with me. :bang:

With some exercises in the gym, I find it difficult to maintain the weight and reps doing a major muscle group once a week. It was easier and I improved quickly when I used to do each muscle group twice a week, but I felt I was working out too often. Now that I'm done calculating TDEEs and macronutrients, I think I'm going to look up some bodybuilding sites so that I can change the type of exercise I'm doing for the muscle groups because I think I've been using the same type of exercise for too long.

Spartan936
06-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Good luck with your goal! You've got a disciplined system started, just keep up with the diet and concentrate on the cardio, it burns fat most effectively.

dissipate
06-26-2004, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Spartan!

dissipate
06-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Yesterday

Weight: 57.3kg/126lbs

Mini Breakfast (8:15am):
- 1 cup of tea with a bit of lowfat milk and Equal
- 1 tbsp lowfat cottage cheese

Breakfast (9:45am):
- 1 cups of tea with a bit of lowfat milk and Equal
- 1/2 cup instant oatmeal with 2/3 cup lowfat milk
- 3 egg whites boiled

Snack (11:30am):
- 1 egg white boiled

Lunch (12:30pm):
- Rice noodles with pieces of tofu, beancurd and vegetables
- Glutinous rice porridge (dessert)

Snack (3:30pm):
- 1 cup lowfat soy milk

Dinner (7pm):
- salad of 5 large lettuce leaves, 1 tomato, 5 white mushrooms cooked in olive oil, chicken breast, 2 whole boiled eggs
- 1 slice multi-grain bread with 1 tbsp peanut butter

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT on the treadmill at 8:45am

Notes:
I felt really full on the higher daily calorie intake, perhaps too full. Bad mistake on the choice of dessert at lunch because that was too many carbs at one time. Overall I feel like I'm eating way too much food and I'm tempted to go back to the limit of 1400 calories per day.

ryuage
06-27-2004, 03:33 AM
todai = japanese seafood/sushi buffet man I wanna eat some todai now! Anyways good luck on the journal!

dissipate
06-28-2004, 02:36 AM
ahh. thanks for dropping in ryuage!

i was too busy yesterday to record what i ate because i was trying to figure out my new workout and i went with some people to a neighbouring country for seafood dinner. didn't eat much there because the food was rather greasy and oily and i didn't want a cheat day. arrived home at 10pm and i ate some guava, PB and cottage cheese because i could feel the gastric pains coming again.

this is what i attempted today (new workout i planned) -

Bench Press (machine)
3 x 15 @ 50

Cable Crossover Flys
3 x 15 @ 5

whenever i do any exercise involving the chest, i don't feel my chest being worked out at all and i have no idea why. with the machine bench press, i felt like my arms were getting the workout. advice anyone?

Military Press
3 x 10 @ 5

One-Dumbbell Front Raises
3 x 15 @ 12.5

Crunches
3 x 15

Leg Raises
3 x 15

Tricep Pushdown
3 x 10 @ 3.5

Tricep Extension
3 x 15 @ 35

comments/suggestions?

ryuage
06-28-2004, 02:46 AM
you could try db presses, varying your grip, and if you're not try squeezing your shoulder blades together.

TheGimp
06-28-2004, 05:43 AM
I experience much the same thing. Just because the chest doesn't feel like it's getting a workout doesn't mean it isn't. The triceps are involved quite heavily in any pressing movement. You could also try some dips.

Spartan936
06-28-2004, 09:44 AM
lol Good discipline on the seafood temptation. I also don't really feel a "burn" in my chest when I do chest exercises, but my pecs have been growing, and I'm lifting more. I wouldn't worry about it. In my experience, only some muscles can really feel totally pumped, like your biceps and forearms. :thumbup: I dunno, maybe we just need more muscle. lol

Shane
06-28-2004, 02:51 PM
whenever i do any exercise involving the chest, i don't feel my chest being worked out at all and i have no idea why. with the machine bench press, i felt like my arms were getting the workout. advice anyone?

comments/suggestions?

I agree with what Spartan and TheGimp said. You shouldn't worry too much about it. When the humerus rotates up towards the center of the chest you'll be using the pecs whether you realize it or not. It's been my experience that most people take up to a few months to really feel the chest and back muscles during exercises that are supposed to use them as prime movers. How long have you been working out?

ali
06-28-2004, 07:30 PM
hey dissipate
man i didnt know you're a girl..lol.How old're ya?
I wish i could give you some advice but i'm too much of a n00b yet to give you any advice :D,all i can say is you're doing great on resisting the food and with the diet..at least better than me.I could've never resisted food the way you did :P geeze
anyway..keep up the good work.May be after 1 or 2 years i would be able to give ya some advice :D

dissipate
06-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the advice ryuage, Gimp, Spartan and Shane! At one point I was about to give up on chest exercises, but I'll keep doing them now that I know you have gains in the pecs even though you don't feel anything.

You could also try some dips.
Okay! I was going to try them yesterday but there were too many people around and I didn't feel like I wanted to get laughed at if I collapsed after doing 1 dip. :D Will probably try them tomorrow if there're less people heh.

I dunno, maybe we just need more muscle
Agreed. And I wish women could build muscle as easily as men!!

How long have you been working out?
It's a loooooooooooong story (get some popcorn and sit on a comfortable chair) - I did lots of swimming (like 5km a week) and running when I was younger, and was a jumper and sprinter in secondary school. In polytechnic and university after that, all I did was dabble in martial arts. Not much activity. I felt fat and absolutely out of shape after graduating from uni, compared to my track & field days, and got a gym membership last December. That was the beginning of my serious lifting to get back in shape.

Lowering the bodyfat seems to be taking awhile though because I think my metabolism slowed down a lot after secondary school as I studied IT for 4 years throughout polytechnic and university and that meant sitting at the computer for extremely long periods of time and poor diet.

I just recently started taking extreme care of the food I eat and doing cardio 4-5 times a week to get my metabolism raised to kickstart the fat loss and am hoping it will work this time :)

all i can say is you're doing great on resisting the food and with the diet..at least better than me.I could've never resisted food the way you did
Thanks Ali! LOL. When I see cake and potato chips and icecream and unhealthy food in front of me, I imagine another thick layer of fat covering my abs and start worrying about how long it'd take me to get rid of yet another fatty layer... how much harder and longer I'd have to work on the treadmill... how many more cheat days I'd have to cancel.. and then I don't feel like eating it anymore!!

Here's yesterday's diet -

Yesterday

Weight: 57.3kg/126lbs

Mini Breakfast (9:45am):

Breakfast (11:00am):
- 1/8 guava

Lunch (1:00pm):
- 1 dumpling made of glutinous rice and pork
- 2 lettuce leaves

- 1 glass of soya milk
- 1 slice of multi-grain bread with just a thin layer of PB on top

Dinner (7:00pm):
- about 0.5 cup of steamed rice
- ~50g pork
- 1 pomfret fried with black beans, garlic, ginger and chilli
- some green leafy vegetables
- 1/8 guava

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT on the treadmill at 10:15am
- gym workout in the afternoon

Notes:
Wasn't too pleased about being a pig yesterday, waking up late and causing 1 meal to be removed, but I was quite happy with the 40 mins cardio after I woke up and then lifting at the gym in the afternoon.

dissipate
06-29-2004, 08:03 AM
Today

Hmmm I'm guessing the teeny weight changes have to do with the water in my body...

- 3 boiled egg whites

Snack (11:00am):
- 1 tbsp cottage cheese
- 1 cup of tea with lowfat milk and Equal

- Egg noodles with roasted chicken breast and some vegs

Snack (5:30pm):
- a cup of lowfat peach and mango yogurt

Dinner (7pm):
- 1/2 cup white rice
- a couple of pieces of tofu
- soya sauce pork and half a potato
- a pile of Chinese spinach in soup
- a sort of starch cake containing fish

Activity:
none

Notes:
My weight isn't really changing so I'm not sure what's happening with my body. Sometimes I feel leaner, but sometimes I feel fatter as well. No cardio today because I wanted a rest day after doing cardio for 5 days straight. Ok, I gotta go plan the other half of my workout now.

chops
06-29-2004, 10:56 AM
heya d,
for the longest time, i never felt anything in my chest either but my arms would feel so tired. i can feel my chest working now . stuff that helps is make sure your shoulders are back, that there's no gap between torso and bench, and that knees are bent at a 90 angle on the bench. sometimes the bench is too high for me and my feet barely graze the floor, so i stick barbell plates under my feet to raise them a couple inches. hope that helps. curious, how many cals and protein are you eating? 1tb of cottage cheese-- i think i could easily down 2c in a sitting if i wanted to. i could never stop at 1tbspn :)

Shane
06-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Today
Notes:
My weight isn't really changing so I'm not sure what's happening with my body. Sometimes I feel leaner, but sometimes I feel fatter as well. No cardio today because I wanted a rest day after doing cardio for 5 days straight. Ok, I gotta go plan the other half of my workout now.

Try to forget about weight. Weight is really the LAST thing you should consider as a measure of progress because the scale does not tell you if the weight lost/gained is fat, muscle, or water. Bodyfat %, appearance, how your clothes are fitting, and measurements are much better indicators of progress.

dissipate
06-30-2004, 06:23 AM
thanks for the tips chops! i'll watch what i do closely now.

curious, how many cals and protein are you eating?
i'm supposed to be eating 1604 cals a day with 120.3g protein (30%). i think i might lower the carbs and raise the protein/fat like tonight already. what do you think?

1tb of cottage cheese-- i think i could easily down 2c in a sitting if i wanted to. i could never stop at 1tbspn
2c!!!!!!!
:omg:
how do you do it? i don't really like the taste of cottage cheese and the curds *shudder* even though the taste isn't really strong. i either spread it on bread with meat as a sandwich or wash it down with diet coke hehe.

shane: i was thinking about bodyweight because the machine at home doesn't give bodyfat with decimal places, so i thought that if my bodyfat remained at 20% and my weight went up, i might have put on lean mass. both haven't changed though, so i'm worried about whether the fat is just sitting there and not getting burned off.

Today

Waist (at the bellybutton): 75cm
Hips (I hope I'm measuring the right place): 84cm

Mini Breakfast (8:30am):
- 1 cup lowfat peach and mango yogurt

Breakfast (10:00am):
- 1/8 guava

leftovers from yesterday
- about 1/2 cup rice
- a pile of green leafy vegetables
- some soya sauce belly pork (i cut off all the fat)

Snack (4:00pm):
- 1 glass of soya milk

- 2/3 cup peas + 1 carrot
- 1 cup baked beans
- 4 skinny chicken drumsticks (the chickens must be on a diet as well)
- 1 potato
- 3 large strawberries and a wee scoop of chocolate chip icecream

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT on the treadmill at 9:15am
- gym workout in the afternoon

Notes:
My diet has been getting worse I think. Not enough protein today. I need to get really strict on myself now otherwise I'm going to fail. Been eating my mother's cooking and it's not really my ideal diet - lunch was low on protein and dinner was packed with carbs - but I'm afraid of telling her that I want to cook my own meals cos she'll take it as an insult. Grrrr.

I wanted some strawberries with icecream after dinner as a treat for working so hard at the gym today. Halfway through, the bowl cracked and broke. !!! Is that a sign...? The bowls we have at home do that sometimes from going into the microwave so often.
:micro:
I had to throw the rest away in case there were shards of porcelain inside.

Tried getting some natural PB at a health store today but it was out of stock! Anyway, I hereby promise to WATCH my diet with the eyes of a hawk from this moment onwards.

Gym Workout

Squats
15/12/12/12 @ 45/50/55/60
It's the first time I'm doing squats immediately after warmup so I was just testing out how far I could go. I think I might start at 20 already next time.

Leg Ext.
3 x 15 @ 80
Not so good today compared to the last workout, I think because I did squats first. I might switch the order around because I've found that the weight with squats aren't really affected if I do leg ext first.

Lat Pulldown (Cable, Wide Grip)
3 x 15 @ 40
With the machine, I can do heavier weights but have never felt my lats work. With the cable, I could feel my lats scream. I think I might stick with cable.

Seated Rows (Narrow Grip)
15/12/8 @ 40/40.5/40.5

Barbell Curls
3 x 15 @ 10
The barbell was going up and down unevenly so either the muscles on my arms are horribly imbalanced or it's because of my slanted spine (scoliosis).

Machine Curls
3 x 12 @ 10.25

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 15 @ 10.5

Kneeling Leg Curls
3 x 12 @ 10

Deadlifts
2 x 15 @ 50/55

Notes:
Didn't have enough time to do another set of deadlifts plus seated barbell calf raises and lying leg curls because I spent too much time on the other exercises (first time running through). I tried chin-ups on the modular assisted machine (not sure if I got the name right) and failed. :swear: :cry:

My arms just sort of locked when I tried to pull myself up and they just didn't seem to be able to work!! If I can't do chin-ups with that machine that assists, it means I 100% cannot do chin-ups without assistance! :cry:

Spartan936
06-30-2004, 08:20 PM
You're certainly dedicated. lol, and your journal is even more informative than the Gimp's (sorry Gimpy :( ) and his is super organized! Awesome job with everything really. Are you trying to gain muscle or lose fat?

Focused70
06-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Just make sure to mix your cottage cheese with some tuna. :)

Oh and have some :spam:

Stash

chops
06-30-2004, 11:22 PM
are you tracking your food intake so you know how many grams u are actually getting? hard to tell, but looks to be under 120

i have tried so many brands of cottage cheese and only like one brand so far. other brands are too salty or curdy fo me so you can see if switching to another brand helps. i cannot eat it plain tho. i mix it w/ fruit, nuts, cereal, flavorings, or yogurt.
but NEVER With tuna :)

your mom sorta sounds like my mom. what if you tell your mom what u want her to cook? she'll probably be glad to prepare something she knows you'll like to eat.

TheGimp
07-01-2004, 02:24 AM
but I'm afraid of telling her that I want to cook my own meals cos she'll take it as an insult. Grrrr.

I feel your pain. Try to find some meals she cooks which you find acceptable for your diet and compromise, cooking as many of your own meals as you can.

dissipate
07-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the compliments Spartan!! I have a little card with my goals and positive statements that I read as often as I can for motivation.. also have a few reasons important to me that I think about everyday.... that keeps me going.

Right now I'm trying to lose fat, to go down to 15% bodyfat. My parents and my aunt said my face has sharpened so I think I might be losing the fat from my face first. Bodyfat % and weight are still about the same though.

I like Gimp's journal. Actually comparing his and mine is like comparing an apple and an orange I think, because he's on UD2 and I'm roughly following BFFM, and he's vegetarian while I'm not. Well I probably have time to do all this measurement and cooking because I'm looking for a job and have time to spare. Once I get a job, I might even disappear :D

Hello Stash!! COTTAGE CHEESE + TUNA?!?!?!!? Errrr....

Chops: Tracking as best as I can. Yeah yesterday's protein intake was horrible hehe.... but everyday's an experience... and I think from now on I will

1) boil eggs and chicken breast in the morning in case I'm not getting enough.. they can be stored in the fridge too if I don't need them
2) not take my olive oil in the morning (see today's diet)!!! 14g of fat and the rest of the day I have to try to squeeze in food with as little fat as possible!
3) eat as little nuts as I can in the morning as well, if I need to top up on the protein at night I'll just pop them into my mouth during dinner.

Arghhghgghg everything'd be fine if I just planned my food earlier and followed the plan(#%)*(!&#

You're so lucky you have brands of cottage cheese to choose from chops!! Over here I can only find one brand :mad: - Bulla - so I have to eat it whether I like it or not heh.

your mom sorta sounds like my mom. what if you tell your mom what u want her to cook? she'll probably be glad to prepare something she knows you'll like to eat.
lol! How do you make your mom cook healthy stuff for you? I told my mother I wanted to eat boiled chicken breast today and she told me to boil it myself. Hahahaha!

Try to find some meals she cooks which you find acceptable for your diet and compromise, cooking as many of your own meals as you can. Thanks for the good advise Gimp!

Today

Weight: 56.5kg (-0.5) / 124.5lbs (-1.5)

Waist: 74cm (-1)
Hips: 81.5cm (-3.5)

Calories Allowed = 1604
40% carbs = 641.5 cals/160.4g
35% protein = 561.3 cals/140.3g
25% fat = 401 cals/44.6g
Changed the macronutrient percentages.

- 1/3 of an omelette of 5 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 3 white mushrooms diced, 1 tbsp olive oil

- 2/3 of the omelette

- rice noodles with some tofu, beancurd and three stalks of vegetables in soup

- 1 slice multi-grain bread with a bit of salsa
- 56.5g chicken breast

- salad of 169.5g chicken breast, 3 medium lettuce leaves, 1 tomato, about 5 cherry tomatoes, 3 strawberries, a handful of pine nuts, some almonds and some walnuts
LOTS of chewing.. does anyone know if you get muscles on the face from chewing? :D

Activity:
- treadmill at 9:15am, 20 mins sprint/run, 20 mins jog/walk

Notes:
I overshot on fat by quite a bit today I think, ~20g, because of the olive oil in the morning and the nuts for dinner. *sigh* Didn't realise that tofu contained _that_ much fat as well. Guess I shouldn't mix these 3 again. I could've overshot my calorie limit by a few cals because of the fat. Protein was almost there I think, and I was short on carbs.

The good thing that happened today was being able to find cheap nuts, much cheaper than those sold with pretty packaging in the supermarket.

Somehow I find scrambled egg whites much more difficult to swallow than boiled egg whites, especially when they get cold. Ugh.

Shane
07-01-2004, 12:25 PM
FINALLY, someone else who doesn't like cottage cheese!

Bodyfat % measured on scales is usually inaccurate and its really not worth checking more than once every few weeks. Just like checking weight every day is pretty pointless. Just train and eat right and it will come off. ;)

Focused70
07-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Cottage cheese + tuna + shrimp cocktail sauce is amazing.

'Course, I eat it while I'm surfing the web, which is why I don't notice the taste much. :D

Stash

dissipate
07-02-2004, 07:41 AM
FINALLY, someone else who doesn't like cottage cheese!
heh! i bought a bigger cup of it today too... but will still wash it down with liquid.

Cottage cheese + tuna + shrimp cocktail sauce is amazing.

'Course, I eat it while I'm surfing the web, which is why I don't notice the taste much.

!??!?!?!!!! shrimp cocktail sauce/!??! em... i think i'd puke on my keyboard if i tried doing that while surfing :p

Today

Weight: 56.5kg / 124.5lbs

Waist: 74cm
Hips: 83cm (+1.5)
I must have measured wrong yesterday...

Mini Breakfast (8:45am):
- ~40g tuna

Breakfast (10:30am):
- 64.5g boiled chicken breast

- About a bowl of steamed white rice with a big piece of dory dipped in batter and fried, spicy gravy on top, a bit of tomato and cucumber

Snack (2:00pm):
- 64.5g boiled chicken breast

Snack (5:00pm):
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese

- salad of 129g chicken breast, 4 medium lettuce leaves, 1 tomato, 4 pine nuts, 5 almonds, 4 half walnuts, 1 cup pasta
- 1 slice multi-grain bread with 1 tbsp natty PB

Total: 1537/1604 cals, 1.472/160.4g carbs, 143.4/140.3g protein, 41.2/44.6g fat

only a rough estimate, not very accurate because i couldn't really calculate lunch - like i left out the count for the spicy gravy and vegetables

Activity:
- treadmill at 9:30am, 40 mins sprint/walk
i LOVE sprinting!!!
- lifting at 2:45pm (see below)

Notes:
FINALLY managed to find natty PB at a higher-class supermarket. :clap: cost me $7 even! but it's worth the money... especially since i love PB and this one is natty plus lowfat... i could eat tons. :drooling:

i'm quite pleased with today's food. healthy stuff mostly and i'm always full so i don't get cravings for stuff like maccas or bk or pizza or pasta or chips or icecream etc etc etc like last time.

trying to scoop 1 tbsp natty PB was like trying to scoop 1 tbsp rock hard icecream!!

Gym Workout

Cable Crossover Flys
3 x 12 @ 4 (-1)

Bench Press (Smith Machine)
12/12/10 @ 55
improvement

Military Press
3 x 12 @ 10

3 x 12 @ 15
improvement

Crunches
3 x 15

Leg Lift
3 x 15

Tricep Pushdown
12/10/8 @ 3.5
kind of crappy still

Tricep Extension
3 x 12 @ 40 (+5)

Dips (Modular Assisted)
12/10/12 @ 140/140/150

Chin-ups (Modular Assisted)
3 x 12 @ 150/150/160

Notes:
i asked a trainer for help with the modular assisted machine thing and it turned out that i was not putting enough weight to help push me up on the chin-ups. so that's why!!!

on the last set of my bench press i was dying and managed to get the 10th rep only halfway up. a chinese guy with an american accent came over and asked if i needed help and i said i was ok. he also said something like "it's cool" and "most girls don't do bench press". hehe. that was very kind of him. most guys at the gym i go to don't help when they see me struggling with equipment.

i think the tricep pushdown has been helping me add weight on tricep extension a lot. before adding pushdowns, adding weight on the ext was sluggish and i think i was stuck at 30 for awhile.

oh ya, i'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at my routine at
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=49829 and comment on it. thanks!!

dissipate
07-03-2004, 07:14 AM
Today

Weight: 56.5kg / 124.5lbs

Waist: ?
Hips: ?
Couldn't find the measuring tape!!!!

- ~40g tuna

- 2 tbsp frozen cottage cheese

- Egg noodles soup with ~100g chicken breast and a couple of stalks of green leafy vegetables

Snack (3:30pm):
- 1 slice multi-grain bread with 1 tbsp Planters crunchy PB
- 4 large lettuce leaves and 1 tomato
- 60.5g boiled chicken breast

- 1 cup steamed white rice
- leg quarter of a chicken, roasted in the oven
- 5 s h i t a k e mushrooms and a pile of green vegetables
gah i got ***** censored for the s h i t part
- 1/2 mango

Snack (9.00pm):
- 5 almonds, 5 half walnuts, 5 pine nuts
realised that i might be a bit short on fat

Activity:
- treadmill at 9am, 30 mins HIIT

Notes:
Today's diet was not bad also. Had to do a rough estimate also and I might've overshot carbs by a bit, otherwise I think I met all the macronutrient needs. I think I should leave the oats as a snack and eat two slices of bread maybe with PB on top for breakfast, if I want to have most of my carbs in the earlier half of the day. The oats contain less carbs than a slice of bread. About the PB, I have to finish the Planters Crunchy or my mom will kill me for wasting money!!

dissipate
07-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Yesterday

Weight: 57kg / 126lbs

Waist: 74
Hips: 83

Breakfast (9:30am):
- 50g tuna
- 1/2 cup instant oatmeal with 2/3 cup lowfat milk and a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar

- 1 cup steamed white rice with ~70g chicken (half breast, half non-breast), 2 slices cucumber and sauce

Snack (2:30pm):
- 2 slices smoked salmon with 3 leaves cos lettuce
- 1 cup tea with sugar and milk

- 1 slice multi-grain bread with 1 tbsp Planters crunchy PB
- 60.5g chicken breast
- 1 tomato and a couple of lettuce leaves

Dinner (7:30pm):
- 1 bowl flat noodles
- 1/2 bowl steamed white rice
- some chicken fried with chilli
- a pile of pea shoots
- a chunk of fresh-water garoupa
- 3/4 small black pepper crab

Activity:
none\

dissipate
07-05-2004, 05:53 AM
Today

- 2 cups of tea with a bit of lowfat milk and Equal
- ~30g chicken breast

- 1/2 cup oats with 2/3 cup lowfat milk and 1 tsp cinnamon sugar
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese

- 1 slice multi-grain bread with 1 tbsp natty PB on top
- 3 medium lettuce leaves and 1 tomato
- 70g boiled chicken breast and 2 boiled egg whites
- 1 cup soya milk
- 1 big slice of pineapple

- 1 cup soya milk

Dinner (6:45pm):
- 1/2 cup steamed white rice
- 1/4 chicken (leg) and ~40g beef
- ~70g seabass
- 2 pieces fried tofu stuffed with mushrooms, water chestnut, carrots etc
- a pile of green leafy vegetables

Activity:
- 40 mins treadmill cardo, sprint/walk
- lifting at the gym (see below)
- 15 mins stationary bike after lifting
wanted to make up for the crappy cardio

Notes:
Disappointed because I didn't push myself to the limit for the cardio session. Had bad sleep last night - couldn't fall asleep and then fell asleep but kept waking up. But I went to the gym feeling great after spending time praying and reading some Psalms.

I might have overshot protein a bit today - couldn't resist the absolutely delicious spicy food at dinner - but the ~25g undershot on carbs makes up for it. I should have also eaten bread + PB after morning cardio but I love having oatmeal after I workout.

Gym Workout

Cable Crossover Flys
12/8/6 @ 4/5/5

3 x 12 @ 55
went smoothly, time to add weight

Deadlifts (Smith Machine)
3 x 12 @ 55/60/60

Lat Pulldown
3 x 12 @ 4.5
seemed to go smoothly, time to add weight

Dips (Modular Assisted)
3 x 12 @ 150/150/140

Seated Rows
12/10/8 @ 4.5

3 x 12 @ 150

Leg Raises
12/12/10

Decline Crunches
3 x 12

Notes:
Decided to split the muscle groups the way WBB #1 is split instead of doing legs/push/pull because it was more even. Managed to squeeze everything down (excluding abs) to 1 hour and I was quite pleased because I've been wanting to do that for months but was never sure how to.

I don't think I'm going to do deadlifts with the Smith Machine anymore because it just feels weird. I was chatting with a trainer and he said to use the rack, so I shall. For bench presses with a rack... I'll think about it because I push myself much more on bench presses - higher chances of getting strangled by the bar.

I also cut out some exercises and replaced them with compound exercises. I'm definitely loving how the exercises are changing my body! :)

Spartan936
07-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Hey dissipate! I've also had some sleeping problems. It almost seems as if my body needs slightly less sleep because the weight lifting envigorates me so much. I read stuff like that also, it helps make me tired. ;) Impressive weights... for a girl. LOL You're stronger than some of my friends. :D

TheGimp
07-06-2004, 04:29 AM
I'm definitely loving how the exercises are changing my body! :)

Sounds great, congrats! :thumbup:

dissipate
07-06-2004, 07:16 AM
I made a mistake with yesterday's lifting entries I think. Like flys should be 40/50/50 instead of 4/5/5 I think?? The 4.5s should be 40.5s. I'm not really sure lol because all I see are single digits on the plates. Can anyone tell me whether I'm right?

Spartan: Are you an insomniac? Or... did you only require less sleep after you started working out? For me, I've been suffering from insomnia since around 12 hehe, so I don't think it's because of my workouts.

I read stuff like that also, it helps make me tired.
heh

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Sounds great, congrats!
Thanks Gimp!!!

Today

- 2 boiled egg whites

Breakfast (10:15am):
- 3/4 slice multi-grain bread and 1 tbsp natty PB
- 60.5g chicken breast
- 1/8 guava

- Mee Rubus (egg noodles in gravy, 5 prawns, 1 boiled egg white)
- a cup of tea with sugar and milk

- 2 boiled egg whites
- 1/8 guava

Dinner (6:50pm):
leftovers from yesterday's dinner
- 1 cup steamed white rice
- 1/4 chicken (leg) and ~60g beef
- ~70g seabass
- 1 piece fried tofu stuffed with mushrooms, water chestnut, carrots etc
- a pile of spinach

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill cardio in the morning

Notes:
Pushed myself with the cardio and hit about 310 calories burnt on the meter (I usually hit only around 280-290). I don't take that as exactly 310 burnt but it's an improvement from previous days. Quite happy with that. I should blast favourite song on repeat while I'm on the treadmill.. drive my mother and the neighbours crazy :D

I tried to eat the gigantic breakfast I wanted myself to eat, and felt kinda sick lol. I'll never ever spread 1 tbsp natty PB on a little slice of bread and try to eat it again. I was trying to shove it down my throat and felt like puking :redface:

Finally decided to take about 1/2 cup more tea to wash it down. Tea works wonders with washing down thick sorta oily stuff. Can't wait for tomorrow's gym workout!

dissipate
07-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Today

30.2% (feet) (down 1.1% from two weeks ago!!! see gym notes!)

- 5 tbsp cottage cheese

Snack (11am):
- 3 tbsp cottage cheese

Lunch (12:00 noon):
- 2 slices multi-grain bread and 1 tbsp natty PB
- 1/4 guava
- 1 cup soya milk

- 80g chicken breast
- 1 cup soya milk
- 4 medium lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato

- 2/3 cup steamed white rice
- ~150g chicken breast
- ~20g pork
- a pile of leafy green veg
- slice of lotus root and 2 chicken feet
- 10 small strawberries and a scoop of chocolate chip icecream

Activity:
- 10 mins HIIT treadmill cardio in the morning :mad:
- 30 mins stationary bike at the gym

Notes:
Had a job interview this morning so I stuffed myself with 5 tbsp cottage cheese for protein storage since Gimp said that the protein from it is digested slowly over 7 hours. After I came home from the interview, I tried to do my daily cardio and my left shin was burning and hurting like crazy after 10 mins jogging :swear:

I took my shoes off and rubbed some Tiger Balm on my left shin and massaged for about 5 minutes and got on and tried to do my HIIT again but couldn't. Decided to let it rest for the gym workout later. There's a thread in the bodybuilding forum discussing shin splints and people recommend letting the shins rest for a few weeks. A FEW WEEKS?!?!??!?!!!!! I can't possibly stop running for a few weeks!!!!!!!! What am I going to do?!?!?!!

Gym Workout

Leg day today.

Squats (Smith Machine)
3 x 12 @ 60/65/65

Straight Legged Deadlifts (Smith Machine)
3 x 12 @ 60

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 12 @ 30/30/35

Lying Leg Curls
3 x 12 @ 40

Hack Squats (Smith Machine)
3 x 12 @ 45

Notes:
Lifting was good again today. Am making progress with the squats. Did 30 mins of bike after the lifting to make up for the shin splints problem in the morning. I still prefer cardio in the morning :/ After the workout I measured my bodyfat with the gym's Tanita feet machine because it's been exactly 2 weeks since I started the morning cardio 5 days a week.

The last time I measured before this, weight was 58.3kg, bodyfat was at 31.3%, fat mass at 18.3kg, lean mass at 40kg. This time it was 58.6kg (+0.3kg), bodyfat at 30.2% (-1.1%), fat mass at 17.7kg (-0.6kg), lean mass at 40.9kg (+0.9kg).

I know the weight and bodyfat with BIA isn't accurate but I think I like the change in bodyfat percentage and even though I was 0.3kg heavier at the time of measurement, my bodyfat was still lower than last time. Plus I gained some lean mass. Woohoo!! I ate 10 strawberries and the scoop of chocolate chip icecream at dinner as a treat.

It's going a bit slow for my liking.. as in I would of course love it if 5% was gone every two weeks, but 1.1% every two weeks which means about 2% a month is good enough I guess :p

JustinF
07-07-2004, 09:39 AM
:spam:

Welcome. You keep a very detailed journal. Looks good. Keep up the hard work.

chops
07-07-2004, 11:57 AM
what type of cuisine is mee rhumbus? sounds thai.

i love the smell of tiger balm and salonpas! but i've been told that it smells like "old ppl" :/

insomnia since 12 sounds tough. did u ever see a sleep specialist?

dissipate
07-07-2004, 07:31 PM
thanks justin!

chops: oops i spelt it wrongly, it's mee rebus, malaysian-indian i think. we can find it at malay hawker stalls here.

i love the smell of tiger balm and salonpas! but i've been told that it smells like "old ppl" :/
old ppl lol!!! i like their smell too, and the smell of medicated oil! do people complain when you rub on some tiger balm?

hmm i've never seen a sleep specialist. my parents never thought it was serious and thought it was my fault, playing computer games too much. my problem is i can be very tired but my brain doesn't shut up and let me rest... it never gets tired. the GPs i saw prescribed heavy dosages of tranquilisers.. that shut my brain up but made me even worse. so i tapered off them myself and took valerian to help cope.

dissipate
07-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Today

Weight: 56.5kg/124.5lbs

Waist: 73
Hips: 84

- 2 tbsp cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + 1 tsp cinnamon sugar
- 2 slices multi-grain bread + 1 tbsp natty PB

Snack (11am):
- 1/4 guava
- ~60g chicken breast

- chicken noodle soup: 1 cup egg noodles + ~50g chicken breast + a pile of leafy green veg + green chilli
- 1/8 guava

- ~50g chicken breast
- 1/8 guava

- 1/3 cup steamed white rice
- 1 steamed pomfret
- some lotus root with soup
- ~20g pork
- a pile of cabbage

Activity:
none

Notes:
Rest day today so no activity. I stuffed myself again for breakfast and it was pretty yuk because I hate eating so much early in the morning. Diet was ok only. I think I fell short on fat.

Can't wait to do cardio tomorrow morning and lifting in the afternoon. I love it... love pushing myself to exhaustion. SHin splints can kiss my a**. I've been rubbing Tiger Balm on my left shin and tapping it a lot to strengthen the anterior calf. My uncle who's a doctor and a marathon runner said it could be because of the shoe also, so I might wear something else for cardio because I do suspect it's the shoe. I've been running on and off for a long time and only had this problem with this shoe!! (btw it's asics) I think it's reaching the end of its lifespan too.... :whiner:

JustinF
07-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Shin splints are the devil. Those suck!

Nice work on the diet, looks good.

chops
07-08-2004, 12:14 PM
they don't voice their complaints. just all the treadmills in my row will be vacant

:)

dissipate
07-09-2004, 06:21 AM
they don't voice their complaints. just all the treadmills in my row will be vacant
heh. wonder what sort of effect durian would have then.......

Today

Hips: 82

Mini Breakfast (8am):
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese

- ~60g chicken breast

Lunch (12 noon):
- 2 slices multi-grain bread + 1 tbsp natty PB
- 1/3 cup soya milk (ran out of soya milk)
- 1 tomato and 3 medium lettuce leaves
- ~40g chicken breast
- some peanut soup

Snack(4pm):
- 6 boiled egg whites
- 1/4 guava

- ~1 cup peas, ~2/3 cup baked beans, diced onions (actually i have no idea because my mom cooked it)
- 1 pork chop
- a couple of almonds, walnuts, pine nuts (short on fat)

Activity:
- 40 mins treadmill HIIT in the morning
- lifting in the afternoon

Notes:
About 30 mins before bed last night I was feeling really hungry and ate some leftover cabbage, peanut soup and had some nuts. Was short on fat for the day but wanted to see if I could go without that much fat and not feel hungry. Didn't work :p

Managed to tough out cardio on the treadmill this morning for the full 40 mins with slower sprints and longer intervals. With the sprints I made sure I landed on my heels first, and there was no pain. Have been too used to running on tha balls of my feet. Rubbed on some Chinese medicine and iced my shins after, and they felt great. :)

I wonder whether my metabolism has gone up because I'm still feeling kinda hungry...

Gym Workout

Military Press
3 x 12 @ 10

Barbell Curls
12/6/5 @ 10/30/30
3 sets narrow-grip, 3 sets wide-grip

Tricep Pushdown
3 x 12 @ 35

3 x 12 @ 15

Tricep Extension
3 x 12 @ 40/45/45
Sweet increase by 5.. sorta

Knee Raises
3 x 12

Crunches
3 x 12

Notes:
I really pushed myself with the barbell curls. The gym is weird... the lowest barbell weight is 10 and next is 30 (?!?!?!). I think doing tricep pushdowns have strengthened my triceps a lot because I'm seeing nice gains on the tricep ext machine. The last time I did it at 45, the region under my upper arms hurt like crazy for a few days and I practically couldn't lift them to comb my hair!!

These past few days and today haven't been going really well because I had to make an agonising decision about whether to accept a non-paying internship that was offered to me. It was a 9-6, 5 days a week, minimum 1 month internship with a popular magazine where I'd mostly have to run errands for them and perhaps be allowed to write small pieces once in a while.

My family said I should say no because I'd be taken advantage of and one of my friends said it was slavery. I really couldn't decide because I agree about the slavery bit... but.......... I don't know. I declined the offer anyhow this afternoon and I'm wondering why I'm still feeling horrible about this decision when it's obvious it _is_ slavery. *sigh*

Shorty
07-09-2004, 08:51 AM
:hello:
Yey! another girl. Makes me wonder how many of us are here. So far I see 4 (counting me).
Your journal looks great! Good job!
What are you majoring in and what magazine was it? I've done an internship before (I'm a graphic designer), but I got lucky... it was payed, part time, and I hardly had to do anything (did some design work, but mostly just played on the internet lol). But I've heard some of them can be a pain.

chops
07-09-2004, 01:23 PM
don't feel bad. you should be paid for work.

durian would clear the place out.

Shane
07-09-2004, 03:03 PM
old ppl lol!!! i like their smell too, and the smell of medicated oil! do people complain when you rub on some tiger balm?

You two ladies are sick in la cabesa. ;)

dissipate
07-11-2004, 08:19 AM
thanks shorty! welcome to my journal :)

What are you majoring in and what magazine was it?
i majored in IT and it's a female-targetted magazine. funny huh. two different fields. hehe your internship sounded like a blast.

thanks for the reassurance chops. i think i've managed to get over it already. :alcoholic

shane: :evillaugh

yesterday's stuff very quickly since i'm too lazy to type it out nicely -

breakfast = 1/2 cup oatmeal + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + 1 tsp cinnamon sugar, 2 cups tea, 2 tbsp cottage cheese, 1 slice multigrain bread + 1 tbsp natty PB, 1/8 guava

lunch = 1 cup wholewheat pasta + 150g boiled chicken breast + some lettuce and a tomato

snack 1 & 2 = 4 boiled egg whites, 1/8 guava

dinner = (penang buffet) a little nasi lemak rice (coconut rice with pandan), some fried kway teow (wasn't oily/greasy like the usual so i had more), chicken breast in curry, some beef rendang, fried peanuts, prawns, a deep fried spring roll, lots of stir-fried veg including cauliflower, brocolli, carrots and mushrooms.. yeah that's roughly about it

activity = about none

notes = shortly after beginning HIIT, my right knee had a sharp pain and it grew worse everytime i sprinted so i had to stop completely and rub some chinese medicine and ice it. frikin patella femoral syndrome. first it's shin splints. now it's PFS. #)(@*%)!*#@*

Today

- 2 tbsp cottage cheese
- 1 slice multigrain bread + 1 tbsp natty PB

Lunch (12:30 noon):
- chicken rice (but with breast meat and plain rice)

Snack(5pm):
- 6 boiled egg whites
- 1/8 guava
- a small packet of potato chips ;)

Dinner (7:45pm):
- yong tau fu (rice noodle soup with pieces of tofu and beancurd)

Activity:
none

Notes:
As much as I wanted to hop onto the treadmill, I forced myself to sit down and rest the legs. I hope they'll be rested enough by tomorrow and won't bug me. My father bought me knee support braces, one for each leg, so hopefully I won't be putting as much shock on my poor knees while landing on my heels with these.

Food timing today was yuk. I get annoyed when members of my family are late for meals. I ate some chips in the afternoon. Thought while I was resting, why not hehe. I haven't eaten chips for months! Mmmm... in Australia I could eat a whole packet of ham and mustard flavoured chips!! I'm hungry again now.. just thinking about chips.

Looking forward to tomorrow's killer cardio and lifting in the afternoon.

Focused70
07-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Aren't tofu and beancurd the same thing? :D

Try natto if you like durian. Even worse (better?) than durian at least with respect to the stinky factor. heheheh. Thread (http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=10215) on eGullet.com about natto.

Stash

TheGimp
07-11-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm a little late but congrats on that body fat loss, great work!

The internship sounded like a really tough decision. I'm currently doing a 6 month placement and although it's paid it's little more than minimum wage. It's not a lot of fun but it's part of my degree so I don't have a choice in the matter :)

Shorty
07-11-2004, 04:54 PM
hope your knee feels better!

Coke
07-12-2004, 05:02 AM
Good luck with everything! - :)

dissipate
07-12-2004, 05:18 AM
Aren't tofu and beancurd the same thing?
oops you're right. sorry, i should have said tauhu, taupok and dried beancurd.

ew i saw a pic of natto and it looks like dead ticks stringed together *shudder* i feel like puking :eek:

thanks Gimp!! it'll be a miracle if i ever manage to go below 30%. well i'm planning to do that by end of july hehe. oh dear.. if i lose about 1% every two weeks, that means about +-2% a month. my aim was 15% by end of the year and i think i might be only able to go down by 12% to 18%? what do you think?

yeah the internship decision was tough. what are you majoring in?

my knee is better today i think, thanks shorty. i wore a knee brace on my right knee and i think it helped to control the running impact on my knee.

Today

Weight: 57.5kg

Mini Breakfast (9:30am):
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese

- 1 cup of tea with the usual
- 1/4 guava

- 2 small glutinous dumplings (glutinous rice + a little pork)
- ~100g chicken breast
- some lettuce leaves and a tomato

Snack (4:15pm):
- 1 cup soya milk and ~70g chicken breast

Dinner (6:00pm):
- 1 cup steamed white rice with a bit of ground pork, half a fish, 2 chunks of sweet potato and a pile of xiao bai cai with 2 ****ake mushrooms
- 5 almonds and a walnut

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT on the treadmill

Notes:
I think I should wake up earlier for the cardio because the mini breakfast is not supposed to be counted as a meal. Managed to tough out 40 mins on the treadmill in the morning with a little bit of shin splits on the left leg and only a bit of sharp pain on the right knee that lasted about 10 secs. I warmed-up with walking instead of jogging, had longer intervals and didn't push the sprinting.

Gym Workout

Cable Flys
12/9/6 @ 6

12/10/8 @ 65 (+15)

Deadlifts (Rack)
kind of nil... (see notes)

Lat Pulldown
12/10/7 @ 5 (+0.5)

Dips
3 x 12 @ 140

Seated Rows
3 x 12 @ 4.5

Chin-ups
12/10/8 @ 140

Knee Raises
3 x 12

Decline Crunches
3 x 12

Notes:
Things were good today except for deadlifts. I've never used the rack before so I was fiddling around trying to figure out what I should adjust. I couldn't seem to get the correct form for the deadlifts and a big guy who was doing squats on the Smith Machine next to my rack sat and smirked at me in between his sets. ...

Good thing one of the friendly trainers I've been chatting with came up to me and said my back was rounded, and showed me how to perform the deadlifts. I tried again and failed lol. I don't know why. It just looks totally weird when I do it and I think I'll stick with cables.

dissipate
07-12-2004, 05:22 AM
thanks cocoa!! mmmm i love cocoa...... comfort food...

ryuage
07-12-2004, 07:07 AM
what type of hitt do you do?

dissipate
07-13-2004, 08:58 AM
ryuage: usually about 150m sprint/walk intervals. i'm doing it mainly to increase my stamina quickly.

Today

Hips: 84

- 2 cups tea with a bit of lowfat milk and Equal
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese

- fish noodles soup (rice noodles + boiled sliced fish)

Snack (4pm):
- 1 can tuna, 6 boiled egg whites, 1 glass soya milk

- spaghetti bolognese (1 cup whole wheat pasta, ~150g weigh****chers minced beef)
- salad of lettuce, cherry tomatoes, gabanzo beans

Activity:

Notes:
Only 4 meals today because I was busy doing a test for a job in the morning and then went straight for lunch and looking for shoes. The sales assistant said I have normal arches so I asked for stability shoes and she recommended a few pairs... I tried and tested them and bought a pair. Went home, changed, and did my cardio workout and there was just slight discomfort on my left shin and no other pain/problems. :clap:

Oh after arriving home from shoe shopping, I realised that I was missing a lot of protein so I ate the can of tuna and 6 egg whites as a snack.

Focused70
07-13-2004, 09:00 AM
YAY for the tuna.

*looks for the cottage cheese*

:D

Nice session, dissipate.

Stash

Spartan936
07-13-2004, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=dissipate]
Activity:

[QUOTE]

Yikes. Nice work.

Shane
07-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Noooo...down with the cottage cheese!

TheGimp
07-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Good news on sorting out the shoes and a good session.

I'm studying Computer Science :D

dissipate
07-14-2004, 06:23 AM
YAY for the tuna. *looks for the cottage cheese*

Noooo...down with the cottage cheese!

lol. stash, no way am i going to mix cottage cheese and tuna unless i've gone bonkers! (PS you'll be the first to know if that ever happens) :D

spartan: what's the yikes for?? is that a good or bad yikes?

gimp: thanks! i'm very happy with the new shoes! could you check out my 12/7 post also please? there's a question for you. CS!!! *hops around* i did IT in uni, the other computer course! :)

Today

- 3 tbsp cottage cheese

Breakfast (10am):
- 1/2 cup instant oatmeal + 2/3 cup milk + 1 tsp cinnamon sugar
- 1 cup soya milk

Lunch (1 pm):
- 1 slice multigrain bread + ~100g boiled chicken breast with nandos garlic and extra hot sauce
- a few leaves of lettuce, a tomato, some onion

Snack (4 pm):
- 1 slice multigrain bread + ~60g chicken breast with nandos sauce again
- ~150g of tauhui (soft beancurd in sugary syrup water - i drained as much as i could)

- 1/2 cup steamed white rice
- chicken, leg quarter
- a few small slices of fried mackeral
- a pile of green leafy veg

Activity:
- 5 mins walking warmup + 40 mins jog/walk (jog 3 min walk 2 min) intervals
- lifting at the gym
- 15 mins stationary bike at the gym

Notes:
I ate tons of protein today. Overshot protein by roughly maybe 13g and fat by 8g, but the low carbs allowed for caloric space (I didn't exceed the daily caloric limit I think). Ugh. I shouldn't have eaten beancurd and fish on the same day. Too much good fat. I was going to take tomorrow off as a rest from the 3-days-in-a-row cardio but I think I might still hop on tomorrow depending on how I feel. Guilty right now, about the amount of protein and fat I took in.

If anyone's wondering about the amount of HIIT I'm doing, I'm a sprinter and jumper, not a long-distance or marathon runner so my plan is to use HIIT to increase my stamina quickly, while alternating with jog/walk intervals where jog gets longer and walk gets shorter till totally eliminated. In secondary school when I was with the track & field school team, HIIT increased my stamina rapidly so that's why I'm using it again now.

Gym Workout

Squats (Smith Machine)
3 x 12 @ 65 (+1 set at this weight)

3 x 12 @ 60/65/65 (+5 for 2 sets)

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 12 @ 35 (+5 for 2 sets)

Lying Leg Curls
3 x 12 @ 40
no gains but was more comfortable with the weight this time, will increase next time

3 x 12 @ 50 (+5 in weight)

Notes:
Did squats first and hack squats last. Was dying with the hack squats at the end... but managed to complete them anyway. Felt good. Still did 15 mins bike after lifting because I felt like killing my legs. I'm guessing I might have to go about the house tomorrow sitting on my chair with wheels. Hahaha.

TheGimp
07-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Oh, sorry I missed that question. I definitely think it's good to be more conservative in your goals. It's better to exceed your expectations than to fall short :D 15% is pretty low BF for a female (I think?) and may be quite hard to achieve. I am sure you will hit it eventually (doing a great job so far :thumbup: ) but I'm not so sure about doing so by the end of the year. It will also be a long time cutting which could cause your metabolism to slow to a crawl.

Coke
07-14-2004, 08:15 AM
Very nice leg work - ;)

Focused70
07-14-2004, 09:15 AM
YAY for the protein. Speaking of which, I need to go eat some more.

Nice session, dissipate.

Stash

Spartan936
07-14-2004, 10:11 AM
lol, I was complementing you on your HIIT training. Good job!!!

JustinF
07-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Nice work dissipate. I wouldn't give up on the deadlifts just yet. It's a great exercise and it takes many people a few sessions to get the form down.

Shorty
07-14-2004, 12:46 PM
WOW your workouts are intense!
How long does it usually take you to complete the whole workout? Do you do cardio and weights in the same session?

chops
07-14-2004, 01:03 PM
DOWN WITH SHANEY YAY FOR COTTAGE CHEESE!

i've never tried them in the smith but i imagine it would feel limiting. have u tried doing the deadlift outside of the smith rack? maybe the way the smith forces your body to go makes the form awkward.

dissipate
07-16-2004, 07:36 AM
thanks for your advice Gimp. yeah it'll means cutting till end of this year... hmm... i think i'm going to do a BIA test on the 30th and see what the results are. then maybe adjust. i also just typed a letter to Tom Venuto and asked for advice about this matter, since i'm following his BFFM book. hope i get an email from him soon, if he decides to reply heh. i just hope i don't reach 15% body fat only when i'm like 70 years old!

cocoa, stash, spartan, justin, shorty - thanks!! :)

YAY for the protein. Speaking of which, I need to go eat some more.
hahaha

spartan: ahhh so that meant good. lol.

justin: hmmm ok. i will try doing them again on the rack.... when there are less people around to laugh... hehe

shorty: it takes about 45 mins - 1 hour. they used to be even longer, sometimes up to 2 hours until i learnt that the duration should be kept within 45 mins. so i split the workout into 3 sessions instead and did some juggling and replacing with the help of some books and advice from people. most of the time i do my cardio in the morning after i wake up and after i take in some protein.

the cardio sessions at the gym that i write down might be there because i felt like i still had a lot of energy left (i like exhausting myself), and in which case are done after lifting.

chops: yeah doing the deadlifts with the smith feels very... it feels like i've been handcuffed to the rack. and yeah, i've done deadlifts using cables and i tried them with the normal rack the other day and they were weird plus there was a really annoying guy next to me watching and smirking. i felt like throwing my shoe at him. do you have any problems doing them on the normal rack?

Yesterday -

Breakfast (8:30am) - 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup oatmeal + 2/3 cup milk + 1 tsp cinnamon sugar, 1 slice multigrain bread + 1 tbsp natty PB, 2 cups of tea + a bit of lowfat milk + equal

Lunch (11:30pm) - fishball kway teow soup, small (flat noodles + fishballs + fishcake)

Snack (2:30pm) - a small portion of durian... just the flesh around 1 seed, a couple of grapes, a couple of walnuts and pine nuts

Snack (4pm) - 1 can light tuna in water, 1 diet coke

Dinner (7pm) - 1/2 cup steamed white rice, ~100g chicken breast, 3 fried egg whites, 1 slice of fried mackeral, a pile of chinese spinach with soup, a couple of walnuts + pine nuts + almonds

Notes - Rest day. Overshot fat and protein again but lack of carbs should have kept me under caloric limit. Bought a tray of eggs in the afternoon my my damn butter fingers dropped them when I got home :soapbox: and I had to take the whites out of about 6 of them because they were cracked. That explains the fried whites for dinner yesterday and breakfast this morning.

Today

Mini Breakfast (9am):
it was rainy this morning and i didn't want to get out of bed!!!
- about 3 fried egg whites

- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + a bit of ground cinnamon and equal

Lunch (12:45pm):
- 1 slice multigrain bread
- ~80g boiled chicken breast + a bit of Nandos sauce
- some lettuce + 1 tomato

Snack(3pm)
wanted to take some protein right after i got home from the gym in case
- tauhui in sugar syrup water (soft beancurd, and i drained out most of the sugar syrup water)

Snack (4pm):
- 1 slice multigrain bread
- ~80g boiled chicken breast + a bit of Nandos sauce

Dinner (7pm):

Activity:
- 40 mins treadmill in the morning (cycle of 3 min jog, 2 min walk)
- 10 mins bike at the gym

Notes:
Overshot fat a bit, the rest seem ok. Last night before I went to bed I got hungry and ate some chicken breast. I'm beginning to feel hungry again now... finished dinner about 2h ago and bed is 1/1/2h away. :/ I got a bag of rolled oats yesterday and I very much prefer them over oatmeal actually. I decided to replace the cinnamon sugar with ground cinnamon and equal.

Gym Workout

Military Press
3 x 12 @ 10
have been struggling on the last set of 12s so it's 12 but not really 12 if you know what i mean

Barbell Curls
12/12/8/8 @ 30 (increased weight of 1 set from 10 to 30)
2 sets narrow-grip, 2 sets wide-grip, alternating

Tricep Pushdown
3 x 12 @ 4 (+0.5 weight)

3 x 12 @ 17.5 (+2.5 weight)

Tricep Extension
3 x 8 @ 50 (+5 weight)

Knee Raises
3 x 12

Crunches
3 x 12

Notes:
None

Shane
07-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Military Press
3 x 12 @ 10
have been struggling on the last set of 12s so it's 12 but not really 12 if you know what i mean

We know what you mean. ;)

Your workouts are coming well. How are you liking Venuto's book?

iLUDEd
07-16-2004, 11:52 AM
wow, 40min of HIIT cardio - thats hardcore!

ryuage
07-16-2004, 12:23 PM
that.s what I said... great session and diet looking age.

Shorty
07-16-2004, 07:01 PM
your workouts are amazing! I used to be able to workout for 2 hrs (I like that exosted feeling too), but now with all these issues I have it's not happening.

What's the Venuto's book?

TheGimp
07-17-2004, 03:56 AM
Diet and workout looking great... as usual :)

dissipate
07-17-2004, 06:47 AM
shane: hehe. thanks. the book is awesome!! it's the first bodybuilding book in my collection... and it's bodybuilding + nutrition + tons of info. one of the best books i've ever read. did you read it too?

iLUDEd: i agree... i was dying on the treadmill this morning during the last 20 minutes lol.

shorty: ugh, how long have the issues been existing? a description of the book can be found here http://www.burnthefat.com/. Venuto has also written tons of informative articles and you can find an archive here http://www.fitren.com/.

thanks ryuage!

gimpy: thanks :) you might change your mind after hearing this - last night before i went to bed i was feeling hungry and i can't sleep if i'm hungry so i ate some grapes, a few shreds of chicken breast and some PB. :redface:

does anyone else feel starved right before bed? :burger: :lurk: :alcoholic

i noticed i forgot to write what i had for dinner yesterday - ~1/2 cup steamed white rice, 2 slices of fried mackeral, a pile of green leafy veg, 2 pieces of otak (grilled fish paste thing).

Today

Waist: ?
Hips: ?
forgot to measure

- 1 cup of plain tea
- ~70g boiled chicken breast

Breakfast (10am):[u]
- 1 cup soya milk
my mom wanted to go to the market and wanted me to follow her to hold on to the car while she buys her stuff so i only had time for a drink :(

[u]Lunch (11:15am):
- chicken noodle soup (egg noodles + chicken breast)

Snack(2pm)
- 60g boiled chicken breast with a bit of Nandos sauce
- a scoop of peanut soup

Snack (4pm):

Dinner (7pm):
- 1/2 cup steamed white rice + a chunk of sweet potato
- 1/2 steamed garoupa + tomato chunks
- a pile of boiled bak choy topped with oyster sauce
- couple of pieces of fried tofu + chilli sauce
- 2 tangyuan balls from the peanut soup (glutinous rice ball thing with blackish ground sesame seed inside)

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT on the treadmill in the morning

Notes:
I was thinking about breakfast last night, and not having carbs during breakfast so that I'd be burning fat during the morning cardio. Cottage cheese and the milk and Equal I put into my tea in the morning contain carbs, so I boiled some chicken breast late last night for this morning (and got so tempted I ate a few shreds also). This morning I drank tea w/o milk and Equal. Yuk!!! Too bitter! I guess I'll just be taking chicken breast and warm water in the morning from now on. I was tempted to look for caffeine pills but I think it's better to save the money for protein powder in the future.

Hmmm... I reckon I've gotten a bit relaxed with myself again, allowing myself to be a pig last night and taking in some peanut soup and tangyuan today (I read that peanut soup with tangyuan contains about 575 cals per serving with 32g fat). Fat overshot today, with the tofu and fish for dinner, but I think I ate within my caloric limits. Macronutrient needs were fulfilled.

P.S. if anyone needs a calorie counter for Asian food, i found one that contains info about my country's local food here http://www.nutrition.com.sg/do/dolocal.asp. i think you can probably use this for the Asian food you eat also.

dissipate
07-17-2004, 07:09 AM
i forgot to add.. after coming home from the market, my mom said she's probably not going to cook anymore pork and just serve chicken breast at meals because it's much healthier. woohooO!! now i don't have to worry anymore about fatty meat!!

skyjumper
07-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Wow. Good discipline on the diet. Keep up the good work.

ryuage
07-18-2004, 07:37 AM
I wish my mom cooked for me... granted it wouldn't be healthy haha.

dissipate
07-18-2004, 08:16 AM
thanks skyjumper!

ryuage: heh lol

Today

- 2 cups tea with Equal (couldn't give up the tea)
- ~50g boiled chicken breast

- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + 1 tsp ground cinnamon + a bit of Equal
- some chicken breast

- plain white bun (i skipped the onion soup)
- sirloin steak + 2 small boiled potatoes + some baby carrots, cauliflower and brocolli (i cut away a big chunk of fat and.. the steak was kinda small... i was still hungry)
- a slice of apple pie for dessert (yum yum) and tea with milk and sugar

Snack(4pm)
- some peanut soup with tangyuan

Dinner (7pm):
- fishball kway teow soup (flat noodles with fishballs and fishcake)
- a couple slices of poh piah (how do i describe it... a roll containing steamed turnip and carrot, bits of egg and ground peanuts, lettuce, and some other stuff. it's mainly veg)

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT on the treadmill in the morning

Notes:
Pushed myself real hard on the treadmill in preparation of the food to come. Lunch was delicious... I haven't had steak and apple pie for a few months!!

Punky
07-18-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi dissipate, great workouts!! I was wondering how tall you are. Thanks!

Punky
07-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Duh, read your first post. I'm 5'1" we seem to have similar stats. Always nice to compare notes with another female on here. So who do you think the cutest boy is on here???

;)

TheGimp
07-19-2004, 04:20 AM
All these great bodies... you gals must be spoilt for choice :p

dissipate
07-19-2004, 07:36 AM
punky, gimp: hahahahahhaa

Today

Mini Breakfast (9am):
- 1 cup of tea with a bit of Equal

- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + 1 tsp ground cinnamon + Equal
made 1 slice of multigrain bread + 1 tbsp natty PB but i broke the plate it was on and threw away everything :(

- 2 small glutinous dumplings (glutinous rice + a little pork)
- some lettuce leaves and a tomato

Snack (4pm):
- ~150g (1c) tauhui (soft beancurd with sugary water but i drained it)

Dinner (6:00pm):
- a spoon of porridge, two chunks of sweet potato, a little bit of pork and tofu, 1 small pomfret and some leafy green veg

Activity:
- 40 mins treadmill (3.5mins jog, 1.5mins walk, intervals) (+30s jog)
- some housework

Gym Workout

Cable Flys
12/10/7 @ 6 (+1 rep on last 2 sets each)

3 x 12 @ 65 (+15) (+2 reps & +4 reps on last 2 sets respectively)

Deadlifts (Rack)
3 x 12 @ 15 (i think??? i just did it with the bar alone, no weights.. not sure what the pure weight of the bar is)

Lat Pulldown
12/11/10 @ 5 (+1 rep & +3 reps on last 2 sets respectively)

Dips
12/8/8 @ 130/120/120 (-10 weight on 1st set, -20 weight on 2nd and 3rd sets)

Seated Rows
3 x 8 @ 5 (+0.5 weight)

Chin-ups
12/10/8 @ 140 (was crappier today)

Knee Raises
1 x 5

Decline Crunches
3 x 12

Overall Notes:
Was feeling down today. Started with an old chimpanzee dying on the NZ Zoo TV show I watch every morning. She had a stroke and breathing problems, and the vets and keepers couldn't decide whether to euthanise her or not because it could kill her. They finally decided to and when she went down after they shot a dart at her, they went into her cage and attached an oxygen tube to her mouth but soon after, her heart stopped beating and they couldn't revive her.

Then my friend sent me a text saying he got a job. I'm happy for him, that he finally got a job, and also very upset with myself and my situation at the same time for still not having a job after so long. Then I dropped the plate with my PB sandwich and spent 30 mins sweeping up the shards and mopping the floor.

Things were slow at the gym. I did cable flys first and this skinny puny guy was trying to show off to his girlfriend and had to stand in front of my spot at the mirror to do his upright rows while I was doing my flys and blocked me, THE MIRROR IS SO LONG AND WIDE. WHY ME?!?!?!?!!

I did make some improvements but I don't feel they were as good as I could have performed. Gym was quite empty so I practiced deadlifts on the normal rack and was panting already after doing them with just the bar. Strange... on the Smith Machine they seem so easy. Chin-ups were yuk. I was dying to just keep up the number of reps I did last week.

After 5 knee raises I stopped because I didn't feel like having the male cleaner at the gym try to look up my shorts this week (I wear running shorts).

Didn't have much of an appetite today and I probably fell short of the 1604 cal requirement. I just want to go to bed at 11pm and forget about today. Sorry about the awful mood.

Spartan936
07-19-2004, 09:11 PM
You'll have a better day tomorrow!

-The Chimpanzee is in a better place
-You'll get a job soon enough, a break from work is good too.
-The skinny guy at the gym will probably never get anywhere fitness wise. Serves him right. lol
-With your dedication you'll make great gains.

All in all, I think the major tragedy of your day was the pb sandwich incident. *sobs*

:hello:

TheGimp
07-20-2004, 03:04 AM
Sorry to hear you had such a crappy time. Hope things look up tomorrow :)

dissipate
07-20-2004, 07:20 AM
spartan: lol!! thanks. that cheered me up quite a bit this morning.

gimp: things were better today :)

Today

Weight: 57kg
BIA Hands: 20%

- 1 cup of tea with a bit of Equal
- 2 slices tofu

- 1 slice of multigrain bread + 1 tbsp natty PB
- 1 cup of tea

Lunch (1pm):
- Thai beef noodle soup (kway teow with very little beef and some beansprouts)

Snack (4pm):
protein panic
- ~150g (1c) tauhui w/o the sugary syrup water
- some tofu and lean pork (leftovers from yesterday's dinner)
- 10 tbsp cottage cheese + 20 pinenuts + 10 almonds

- 1/2 cup porridge + a little tofu + ~100g chicken breast + some veg

Panic Snack (9:15pm)
- 1 slice multigrain bread + 1 tbsp Planters Crunchy + dabs of Marmite

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT on the treadmill in the morning, sprint/brisk walking about every 100m intervals

Notes:
Today's cardio was tough. I didn't take in much protein during the first half of the day therefore the protein panic at my 4th meal. Food in foodcourts here are like 75% carbs 20% protein 5% veg so it's tough. But I can't believe I ate 10 spoons of cottage cheese. Yuk!!! Didn't have a choice because tofu + tuna = a lot of fat. I might have undershot calorie intake today because I was so full from the 4pm snack that I couldn't eat much for dinner.

Ok I just panicked again because I realised I could be under 1200 cals because of the cardio, and ate a slice of bread with PB and some Marmite.

I just realised I should be doing refeeds because I'm on at least a 400 cal deficit everyday not including cardio. Cardio takes away another 300 cal and lifting in the afternoon takes away some more. Does anyone know approximately how many cals lifting takes up, looking at my routine? Because now I'm worried that I might be going under 1200 cals even, during my lifting days.

chops
07-20-2004, 08:35 AM
I just realised I should be doing refeeds because I'm on at least a 400 cal deficit everyday not including cardio. Cardio takes away another 300 cal and lifting in the afternoon takes away some more. Does anyone know approximately how many cals lifting takes up, looking at my routine? Because now I'm worried that I might be going under 1200 cals even, during my lifting days.

since u are not hungry, it could be a sign that either your metabolism has adjusted to the lowered calories, or that you are overestimating your calories. refeeds can help prevent the body from going into starvation mode or help with mental aspects of dieting and cravings, but it doesn't seem like you are experiencing either of those (not hungry & making yourself eat). just my 2cents :)

i feel the same way about foodcourts. its a bunch of starch mostly and it's hard to tell how much oil is used in the food. i usually try to look for something really simple, like grilled chicken and rice. my other gripe is that asian places always use dark chicken meat and i'd rather eat white meat.

its hard to say how many cals are burned during weightlifting cuz everyone is different and it also depends on intensity and individual factors. estimates that i have seen are like 250-400 ish but i assume that most likely those numbers are for the average male.

hey 10t cottage cheese is a new record!:p

Focused70
07-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Yay, another Marmite fan. I love Marmite, esp. on buttered toast. heheh.

Nice session, dissipate.

Stash

dissipate
07-21-2004, 07:45 AM
since u are not hungry, it could be a sign that either your metabolism has adjusted to the lowered calories, or that you are overestimating your calories. refeeds can help prevent the body from going into starvation mode or help with mental aspects of dieting and cravings, but it doesn't seem like you are experiencing either of those (not hungry & making yourself eat)
hmm i do get hungry in between meals when they're spread evenly, and later at night, especially on lifting days. but i'm not sure whether to eat or not to eat before i hop into bed.

BFFM recommends a refeed every 3 days and some people recommend refeeding every 1 to 2 weeks for 30% BF. what do you think about this?

its a bunch of starch mostly and it's hard to tell how much oil is used in the food.
yeah.. exactly. i have no idea whether there are bits of lard inside also and how much MSG has been added.

i don't think i'll be breaking the 10t record anytime soon lol. note to self: put ground cinnamon in next time.

stash: actually.... this is the first time i'm tasting marmite... and... er... after tasting it.. i wanted to throw the small jar away lol.

Today

Mini Breakfast (9am):
Rainy morning again
- 1 cup tea with Equal
- ~20g chicken breast leftovers from yesterday's dinner

Breakfast (10am):
- 1/2 cup instant oatmeal + 2/3 cup milk + 1 tsp cinnamon sugar
- 1 cup tea with lowfat milk and Equal

Lunch (1pm):
- 1 slice multigrain bread + ~100g boiled chicken breast with nandos garlic and extra hot sauce
- a few leaves of lettuce, a tomato, some onion
- 1 glass soya milk

Snack (4 pm):
- 150g tauhui (soft beancurd drained)
- ~100g boiled chicken breast

- 2/3 cup steamed white and brown rice + ~20g lean pork + 1 steamed pomfret + 1 cup of spinach in spinach soup
- 15 pinenuts + almonds

Activity:
- 5 mins walking warmup + 9 mins jogging
- lifting in the afternoon + 20 mins rowing machine + 20 mins biking

Notes:
Had slight discomfort on my right shin after 9 minutes so I stopped because I didn't want to get shin splints again. I've been jogging for 5 days in a row now so maybe it's time I took a jogging break. Did rowing and cycling after lifting for the daily cardio.

Tomorrow's rest day so no cardio, and I'm thinking of doing a refeed. Legs should be ok by Friday and I'm going to plan the jogging so that I either get a rest or do alternative cardio every 4 days maximum.

Gym Workout

Squats (Smith Machine)
12/8/8 @ 65/70/70 (+5 in weight last 2 sets)

3 x 8 @ 70 (+5 in weight)

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 8 @ 50 (+15 in weight)
3 sets each for lateral and medial heads

Lying Leg Curls
3 x 8 @ 45 (+5 in weight)

3 x 8 @ 55 (+5 in weight)

Knee Raises
3 x 12
to make up for Monday's

dissipate
07-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Crap.. one hour to bedtime and I'm feeling really hungry right now...

*** 15 mins later ***

ate 2 thin slices of guava, a plum, a small piece of pineapple, a tbsp white & brown rice, 5 walnut halves, a handful of prawn flavoured biscuits

Shorty
07-21-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sometimes (usually after a week of good eating) feels like I'm STARVING. I wish I was only hungry at night though (then I could just go to sleep) but I'm starving all day... had to concentrate on work when all I can think of is food lol. Those are the times when my diet goes to hell lol.

pruneman
07-21-2004, 09:20 AM
There is really nothing like tea and chicken for breakfast :p

You might find that if you include more fiberous vegetables in your diet and up your fat intake slightly you will not get as hungry. Fiber and fat both play a role in maintaining stable blood glucose levels and fat is very satiating, even in small quantities.

Of course the hunger could also be due to leg workouts like that...I always am extremely hungry for the whole day when I lift legs.

chops
07-21-2004, 12:12 PM
hmm i do get hungry in between meals when they're spread evenly, and later at night, especially on lifting days. but i'm not sure whether to eat or not to eat before i hop into bed.

BFFM recommends a refeed every 3 days and some people recommend refeeding every 1 to 2 weeks for 30% BF. what do you think about this?

i agree w/ prune . eating more (healthy) fats, and fiber will help. eating more veggies are cheap and filling calories. balancing out your fats instead of bumping them up at the end of the day will help keep you satisfied longer between meals. you could try replacing the bread with something less processed (i.e. oats, rice, etc) to see if u are less hungry. when i eat bread or pasta, i find myself getting hungry faster. re: eating before bed: as long as you have calories to *spare*, you won't gain fat if you eat even if it's late.

imo a refeed will not have benefits unless fatloss has been occurring, else it may be counterproductive. refeeds have more benefit for lean persons than for persons with higher bf , as far as metabolism goes. at higher bf, they may be more important for psychological aspects. i have limited personal experience with refeeds though this is mostly anecdotal. if you decide to try it out, the extra calories should come from simple carbs that don't take long to digest. how many extra cals are u thinking to take in?

i was wondering how u determined your bf? at the beginning of your journal it says 31, but now it says 20. how's the knee feeling these days?

Coke
07-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Fine leg effort.

Shane
07-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Duh, read your first post. I'm 5'1" we seem to have similar stats. Always nice to compare notes with another female on here. So who do you think the cutest boy is on here???

;)

Pfft. You know darn well I'm the cutest boy on here. :rolleyes: :angel: :D

Dis, nice squats. :thumbup:

TheGimp
07-22-2004, 03:45 AM
fat is very satiating, even in small quantities.

Protein is more satiating than fat, if you can afford it. A couple of scoops of casein can go a long way.

pruneman
07-22-2004, 06:42 AM
Protein is more satiating than fat, if you can afford it. A couple of scoops of casein can go a long way.

Both fat and protein slow gastric emptying, creating a satiating effect. Ingestion of fat causes a release of cholecystekinin, which tells the brain that you are full. This is why it is often recommended that dieters consume something like 1T PB about half an hour before a regular meal. But yes, Gimp is correct in saying that protein is also very satiating.

dissipate
07-22-2004, 11:00 PM
but I'm starving all day... had to concentrate on work when all I can think of is food lol. Those are the times when my diet goes to hell lol. rofl. how do you go to bed starving??? i personally can't fall asleep because i'm thinking of juicy subway sandwiches, spaghetti with meatballs, pizza, chicken kebab, sushi, curry, fried noodles etc etc etc.

pruneman, chops: thanks for the tips! i'll try to eat the fats throughout the day instead of all at one go during dinner.

chops: ok i'll try replacing the bread. i love pasta but eat it only occasionally when my mom decides to cook bolognese. *sigh* carbonara... alfredo.. vongole... aglio olio..... bolognese... :drooling:

about the refeeds, my maintenance level according to the Katch Mc-Ardle formula is 2005. so if i wanted a full refeed i should be taking in about 400 more cals on rest days, and even more on cardio/lifting days. i'm currently on the fence though because there are thousands of formulas out there and someone else said that my maintenance should be around 1764 to 1890 and under a deficit it should be around 1260 to 1400. there's a big diff of 200 cals so i'll have to think about this for awhile and try to gather more info. what do you think about this?

the method i use most often to check my BF is my treadmill BIA hand gripper which always says i'm at 20%. the next method is my gym's Tanita feet which said 31% at the beginning. i'm currently saving up for an accu-measure so that i won't have to go through this torture of having such an enormous difference in measurements heh.

the knee seems good, thanks :) no pain ever since i started using the new shoes to run. i'm never buying cheap ancient models again!!

thanks shane! i don't know why but the increments last month and this month seem smooth compared to late last year and the first half of this year. maybe it's because i know i have to increase in either reps or weight and just force myself to do it.

gimp, pruneman: thanks for the advice. i have always been looking for meat when i get hungry at night, now i know why!!

This is why it is often recommended that dieters consume something like 1T PB about half an hour before a regular meal
hmm i didn't know that. but why? so that they eat less??

btw i got a reply from tom venuto and some advice from krista @ stumptuous (http://www.stumptuous.com) both about 2 days ago. tom said if my fat loss is under 1/2% per week, i can make my diet stricter using carb taping, carb cycling etc for diet or intensify my workouts. he also mentioned that the 3 days low carb (not no carb or ketogenic), 1 day medium to high carb method works well to accelerate fat loss.

krista said i can certainly reduce my BF substantially by year end and recommended a more accurate assessment with skinfold calipers. yeah. she said my maintenance is bit high and gave me the figures above, formula being maintenance for women = 14/15 * bodyweight and dieting = 10/11 * bodyweight. hmm.

i'll have to take some time to think about all this....

Yesterday

Breakfast - 1/2 cup oats + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + 1 tsp cinnamon + Equal + 2 cups tea + ~50g boiled chicken breast

Lunch - chicken noodle soup of ~30g boiled chicken breast (MISERS!!!) + ~2/3 cup egg nodles + a pile of green leafy veg + 2 xiao long bao (this small steamed thing with minced pork and great soup inside)

Snack - 1/2 cup oats + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + cinnamon and Equal + 1 can tuna in water + ~150g tauhui

Dinner - spaghetti bolognese of 1/2 cup pasta + ~100g weigh****cher's mince in bolognese sauce and real tomatoes + a few leaves of lettuce

Snack - 1 almond + 4 walnuts + 1 tbsp cottage cheese + a little bit of PB

Shorty
07-23-2004, 07:37 AM
rofl. how do you go to bed starving??? i personally can't fall asleep because i'm thinking of juicy subway sandwiches, spaghetti with meatballs, pizza, chicken kebab, sushi, curry, fried noodles etc etc etc.

LOL the thing with me is that when I'm tired/sleepy, there's NOTHING that will get me out of bed lol. And I actually sleep better when I'm hungry. If I eat before bed, it takes me HOURS to fall asleep.

chops
07-23-2004, 08:38 AM
chops:
about the refeeds, my maintenance level according to the Katch Mc-Ardle formula is 2005. so if i wanted a full refeed i should be taking in about 400 more cals on rest days, and even more on cardio/lifting days. i'm currently on the fence though because there are thousands of formulas out there and someone else said that my maintenance should be around 1764 to 1890 and under a deficit it should be around 1260 to 1400. there's a big diff of 200 cals so i'll have to think about this for awhile and try to gather more info. what do you think about this?

hey, where is the workout? :p

based on my personal experience, krista's estimate is what will work for me and is what i would recommend for any woman's starting point. for someone else, it may have to be adjusted up or down by 1-2 cals per lb. based on what you have been doing, have u been keeping your cals consistent for the past few weeks and what has your results been? based on that adjust up (losing too fast) or down by 100 cals (not losing) and see what happens. a small change could be enough to tip the scale.

i'm going to check out the cal tracking link u posted. need to get info for pad thai :drooling:

dissipate
07-23-2004, 08:39 AM
shorty: wow i wish i was like that!

Today

- 3 tbsp cottage cheese

- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + a bit of ground cinnamon and equal
- 2 boiled egg whites

Lunch (1pm):
- my leftover pasta with meat from yesterday's dinner, ~2/3 cup pasta, 100g weigh****cher's mince in bolognese sauce + tomatoes
- 1/2 cup peas and a few leaves of lettuce

Snack(4pm)
- 1 glass soya milk + 4 boiled egg whites
- ~60g more leftover weigh****er's mince lol

Dinner (7pm):
- 1/2 cup white and brown rice
- ~100g chicken breast + 5.5 walnuts
- ~0.7 cup boiled spinach

Snack (10:45pm):
- a few crackers, a slice of guava, 10 grapes, a piece of chocolate, 2 tbsp cottage cheese, a few swigs of Mug rootbeer

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill in the morning (incline 2nd level, 150m walk/run intervals)
- 20 mins bike at the gym

Notes:
Lower on carbs again. I might as well set the ratios to 40/40/20 or 40/35/25 since I'm taking in less carbs than the allocated 45%.

There are a couple of things I must do starting from tomorrow :study:
- Stop being lazy and roll out of bed at 8am when my alarm rings.
- Stop having late night snacks unless I'm absolutely dying of hunger and having gastric pains.
- Start cooking fibrous veg beforehand so that I can eat them throughout the day when I'm hungry.
- Start eating more clean meals (no cracker crap).
- Start drinking coffee in the morning for a bigger caffeine boost.

Gym Workout

Military Press
3 x 12 @ 10
was still struggling a bit but not as bad now... getting better

Barbell Curls
8/6 @ 30
couldn't do the sets as planned because i started having this sharp pain on my right elbow, the side closest to my body, on the inside. anyone familiar with that while working the biceps?

Tricep Pushdown
3 x 9 @ 4

3 x 10 @ 17.5

Tricep Extension
12/10/8 @ 50

Knee Raises
3 x 12

Crunches
3 x 12

Notes:
Ok some things are weird. I think I entered in wrong number of reps on last week's shoulders and arms day because they're different from what I have in my notebook. And I forgot to bring my notebook to the gym today but thank goodness I remembered what exercises I had to do.

Yeah the elbow was hurting today surprisingly. I think the only other time that I've had pain in my elbows was when I was doing dips on chairs. Does anyone know anything about this?

Shorty
07-23-2004, 01:35 PM
have you tried drinking tea when you get hungry at night? Green tea always curbs my hunger a bit.

dissipate
07-25-2004, 08:09 AM
chops: workout posted 1 min after your post ma'am!! *salutes* nice timing eh.

based on my personal experience, krista's estimate is what will work for me and is what i would recommend for any woman's starting point. for someone else, it may have to be adjusted up or down by 1-2 cals per lb. based on what you have been doing,

hmmmm ok.

have u been keeping your cals consistent for the past few weeks and what has your results been?

yup i think my cal intake has been consistent. i'll be stepping on the tanita next friday and it'll be 3 weeks since my last BIA test. will see what the reading is and try to guage from there.

my gym doesn't have/use callipers and when i asked one of the trainers where in my country i might be able to buy a pair, he said he didn't know. ?!?!?!?

did you manage to get your pad thai info?

shorty: i used to drink tea at night because it calms me down, but i stopped because i'm afraid the caffeine might affect my sleep (insomniac). yeah.. i generally stay off cottage cheese and milk and products that contain milk close to bedtime too cos they don't go with medicine.

If I eat before bed, it takes me HOURS to fall asleep. is it because you feel more awake after eating?

Yesterday

Mini Breakfast - ~40g chicken breast, a cup of coffee
i don't think i'll ever do this again, the coffee was so rich i felt like puking... well maybe for a week at least

Breakfast - 1/2 cup rolled oats + 2/3 cup milk + cinnamon and Equal + ~30g chicken breast + a cup of tea

Lunch - fishball kway teow soup (flat noodles, fishballs, fishcake, leafy green veg), 1/4 guava

Snack - 1 can tuna in water + 10 pinenuts + 10 almonds + 1/2 can Mug rootbeer

Dinner - 1/2 cup white and brown rice + a pile of leafy green veg + a small piece of chicken + a chunk of steamed fish

Activity - 40 mins treadmill (3.5mins jog, 1.5min walk, intervals, lvl 2 incline)

Today

Waist: 73cm
Hips: 83cm

Mini Breakfast (10am):
- 1 cup of tea + 2 tbsp cottage cheese

Brunch(12 noon):
- 3 tbsp cottage cheese

Snack (2pm):
- 1 can of tuna in water + 1 slice multigrain bread + 1 tbsp natty PB + 1 diet coke

Snack(4pm):
- 1 garlic naan + 1 tandoori chicken drumstick + some curry

Dinner (8pm):
- 1/2 cup white rice + ~120g chicken breast + some kangkong

Snack (9pm):
- 1 cup soya milk + 3 walnuts

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill in the morning (incline 2nd level, 150m walk/run intervals)

Notes:
Was grumpy today because I didn't sleep well last night so I lay in bed till 10am trying to get more sleep. Food timing quite messed up as usual for Sundays, I reckon I'll just eat my own food in future instead of waiting. But not much appetite today either. I came home short, therefore the 9pm snack. Oh ya, I can't believe I ate cans of tuna 2 days in a row. BLEGH!!!!

Coke
07-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Props to you for eating the tuna, and for 2 days in a row - I don't see how anyone can do it, lol...

Shorty
07-25-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure why I can't sleep after eating. I think it might be because the body is still digesting food.
At night I usually drink herbal teas (they have no caffene), resbarry is my fave :)

chops
07-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Oh ya, I can't believe I ate cans of tuna 2 days in a row. BLEGH!!!!

10T of cott cheese recently and now two cans of tuna. you are getting REALLY HARDCORE!! :p i wonder how long before i see a conconction of tuna + cott cheese :)

for the callipers, why don't u get the online?

for convenience sake, i used "chow fun" from fitday for the pad thai estimate. ingredients close enough.

Punky
07-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi...keep plugging away!

How many cals are you eating per day, I cant locate that exactly in the last few posts. Maybe I'm just blind, lol.

:) Stacy

dissipate
07-26-2004, 07:20 AM
Props to you for eating the tuna, and for 2 days in a row - I don't see how anyone can do it, lol... lol cocoa. i just got tired of boiling eggsies and waiting for frozen chicken breast to thaw and then boiling it. canned tuna is like microwave dinners - instant - for lazeeeeee people.

shorty: ooh sounds tasty. i'll see if i find them at the supermarket.

chops: hahaha!! NEVER!!!!!~ about the callipers, it's about $34 in my currency not including shipping so i need to wash my parents' cars more often or something till i have enough money lol.

for convenience sake, i used "chow fun" from fitday for the pad thai estimate. ingredients close enough. hehe. how do you find fitday?

punky: i will! i eat about 1604 calories a day. might get to recalculate that later this week when i meet tanita again. nah you're not blind :D i left out the estimates of what i eat against what i'm supposed to have for some time cos it's difficult to estimate lots of the food i eat here. the asian nutritional site i posted earlier doesn't cover everything.

Today

- 1 cup of tea with a bit of Equal + 2 tbsp cottage cheese

- 2 tbsp cottage cheese

Lunch (1pm):
- ~60g boiled chicken breast + a pile of green leafy veg + 1/2 cup of oats w/ the usual + 10 almonds

Snack (4pm):
- 2 slices poh piah + ~90g chicken breast + 1 cup soya milk

Dinner (7pm):
- 1 malay potato thing (a medium sized round lump of fried mashed potato) + ~60g chicken breast in curry + vegetable soup of green leafy veg, peas, carrots + a couple slices of poh piah

Snack (9pm):
- 1 cup soya milk + a handful of walnuts and pinenuts

Activity:
- 40 mins treadmill (3.5mins jog, 1.5mins walk, intervals, lvl 2 incline)
- some housework
- 20mins bike at the gym

Gym Workout

Cable Flys
12/11/7 @ 6 (+1 rep on middle set)

3 x 8 @ 70 (+5)

Deadlifts (Rack)
3 x 12 @ 15 (or whatever the weight of the bar is)
was kinda dying on this. it makes my heart race and my back was aching.

Lat Pulldown
12/11/10 @ 5

Dips
12/9/9 @ 120 (+1 rep on last two sets each)

Seated Rows
3 x 9 @ 5 (+1 rep)

Chin-ups
3 x 11 @ 140

Knee Raises
3 x 12

Decline Crunches
3 x 12

Overall Notes:
Lack of adequate sleep _does_ reduce performance. I was exhausted after only 20 minutes on the treadmill but forced myself to run like a good hamster. Gym performance was a little better than last week but nothing outstanding IMO.

My mom very kindly bought me a jar of organic PB cos I finished my natty PB yesterday. I think it has more saturated fat though. I'll probably chow down and finish it in 2 weeks anyway :D

And I think my hips have gone down whether my measurements are correct or not, because my hipster jeans are sliding off my hips. I had to start wearing a belt with them a week ago.

Things to do:
- plan another bicep exercise to replace BB curls
- give coffee another shot
- put tuna and cottage cheese in a jar, dance to salsa music and shake it around, and eat...... J/K!!!! ;)

JustinF
07-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Hipster jeans are falling off? The BF is just melting away. :thumbup: Nice work. Keep it up!

dissipate
07-27-2004, 06:34 AM
good to hear that! thanks justin! :)

Today

Weight: 56.5kg

Breakfast (9am):
- 1 cup of tea with a bit of Equal + 2 tbsp cottage cheese + 1/2 cup oats + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + ground cinnamon

Lunch (11:45am):
- mee siam (bee hoon noodles with 1 boiled egg (i removed the yolk), 4 shrimps, a couple teeny cubs of taugua, all in spicy gravy)

Snack (2pm):
- 1/2 can tuna + some diet coke

Snack (4pm):
- 1/2 can tuna + some diet coke

Dinner (7pm):
- 1/2 cup brown and white rice + ~100g chicken (non-breast) + ~40g lean pork + ~1/2 cup watercress in soup + 1tbsp cottage cheese

Snack (8:30pm):
- ~60g lean pork + 20 pinenuts
realised that i was probably short and not going to survive it after calculating and my stomach feeling like gastric pains were coming

Activity:
- washed 2 cars

Notes:
Rest day today because I did 4 days running in a row. Better sleep today but not that great. Went into twilight zone again at 8am - woke up and fell into light sleep filled with weird dreams. Leg day tomorrow. Can't wait.

TheGimp
07-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Yeah, congrats on needing a belt lol :D :thumbup:

chops
07-27-2004, 08:11 AM
sounds like it's all paying off. good work :thumbup:

Focused70
07-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Nice effort, dissipate.

How do you like diet soda? I can't get over the taste unfortunately.

Stash

dissipate
07-28-2004, 07:44 AM
gimp, chops, stash: thanks!! :)

How do you like diet soda? I can't get over the taste unfortunately hmm... when i started drinking it, it tasted a bit weird and i've got used to it now. but if sugar was harmless, i'd definitely choose normal soda over diet ones. normal coke is more..... intense. i do wish they'd have the caffeine-free diet coke here already so that i can drink some at night too.

Today

- 2 cups tea with milk & Equal
- ~30g chicken breast

- 1/2 cup instant oatmeal + 2/3 cup milk + 1 tsp cinnamon sugar + Equal

Lunch (12:45pm): :hide:
- 1 piece of kfc original chicken breast (w/o skin) + 1/2 cup coleslaw + 1 cup mashed potatoes w/ gravy
- 1/2 big mac
- 1 cup tea with milk & Equal

Snack (4 pm):
- 1 cha siew pau (steamed white bun sort of thing with roast pork inside)
- 1 cup herbal jelly

- 1/2 cup white & brown rice + ~150g chicken breast in curry + 1/2 cup chinese spinach in soup + diced white mushrooms
- 3 tbsp cottage cheese + 3 almonds + 10 pinenuts
- a scoop of chocolate chip ice-cream

Activity:
- 40 mins on the treadmill in the morning (20mins HIIT, 20mins brisk walking, inclined)
- 20 mins bike at the gym

Gym Workout

Squats (Smith Machine)
3 x 9 @ 70 (+1 rep)

3 x 9 @ 70 (+1 rep)

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 9 @ 50 (+1 rep)

Lying Leg Curls
3 x 11 @ 45 (+1 rep)

3 x 9 @ 55 (+1 rep)

Overall Notes:
The stomach pain I felt last night wasn't gastric pains. They were pain pains. Had slight diarrhoea so I think I had slight food poisoning. The pain woke me up a couple of times last night so sleep was interrupted. My body was achy and tired when I woke up this morning even before my alarm rang.

Tried to do HIIT but after 20 mins I was feeling light-headed and too weak to go on so I switched to brisk walking on a steeper incline for the remaining 20 mins. No appetite after but I forced myself to eat.

My mom bought home KFC and Maccas for lunch so I think she was worried because she hardly buys fast food and she knows I'm on a strict diet. I shared with her so had half of each and strangely felt much better after eating all that oily greasy fatty stuff. :confused: Pain was gone by this time.

Well enough to go to the gym and off I went. I was planning to either skip or take it easy and do enough for maintenance only but I felt well enough to do rep increases so I did.

Whenever I do hack squats on the Smith, people look at me as if they've never heard of hack squats or seen people doing 'em before. Now that I think of it, I don't remember ever seeing people doing hack squats with the racks in my gym. Wonder why....

I'm hoping I'll be feeling back to normal tomorrow so that I can continue with my cardio since Friday's the BIA day.

ryuage
07-28-2004, 01:11 PM
hope you feel better!

chops
07-28-2004, 04:55 PM
i like herbal jelly as well. i like grass jelly more than the lemon one but i wondered if it's actually "herbal" since it's taken as a dessert. there's an asian dessert place here that serves hot grass jelly with frog's pith and fungus. i'm scared to find out what it is!

good endorsement for kfc. i think you should be the new KFC spokesperson :)

Spartan936
07-28-2004, 10:47 PM
You have yourself a well organized and popular journal here... :hello:

dissipate
07-30-2004, 02:28 AM
just had a not very nice time at the gym - can be found here http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=50983.
will post more when i get home.

TheGimp
07-30-2004, 03:45 AM
Just read about your experience. Personally I don't care at all for personal trainers. The problem with exercise and nutrition is that the vast majority of people are ill informed on the subject and lots of myths abound and so it's very easy to get bad advice. The guy definitely sounds like an arrogant narrow minded jerk.

dissipate
07-30-2004, 06:15 AM
thanks ryuage :) i had great sleep the night before and woke up feeling great. did cardio as planned.

good endorsement for kfc. i think you should be the new KFC spokesperson
buCK BuCK bUCk!!! *struts around proudly in a chicken suit flapping fake feather wings*

chops: i like grass jelly too! no idea whether it's herbal or not either lol.

there's an asian dessert place here that serves hot grass jelly with frog's pith and fungus. i'm scared to find out what it is!
i'm put off by the name myself! pith...... what part of a frog is a pith??!

:hello: back spartan! thanks hehe.

The problem with exercise and nutrition is that the vast majority of people are ill informed on the subject and lots of myths abound and so it's very easy to get bad advice.
agreed. people who don't research and read up on these topics are unfortunately at the mercy of their trainers whom they've put on a pedestal. thanks for comforting me gimpy :)

Yesterday -

Mini B: 20g chicken breast + 2 cups tea w/ stuff

B: 20g chicken breast + 1/2 cup oats + 2/3 cup milk + ground cinnamon + equal + 1/8 guava

L: subway 6 inch turkey sandwich, no cheese or dressing

Snack: ~50g chicken breast + 1 slice multigrain bread + 1 tbsp organic PB + 10 pinenuts + 2 walnuts

D: 1/2 cup white & brown rice + ~200g chicken breast + leafy green veg

Activity: 40 mins treadmill in the morning (3.5min jog, 1.5min walk, intervals, lvl2 incline)

Today

BIA hands: 20%
BIA feet (Tanita): 29.9% :cry:

If the Tanita is correct, I'm horribly behind schedule because I've only lost 0.3% BF instead of 1.5%. But I don't know because I ate lunch 45mins before stepping on. So I don't know whether to cry or ignore it. :confused:

Mini Breakfast (9am):
- 20g chicken breast

- 2 tbsp cottage cheese + 5 almonds
- 1/8 guava

Lunch (1pm):
- 1 slice multigrain bread + 1/2 tbsp organic PB + ~80g chicken breast + 1 tomato + some lettuce
- 1 cup soya milk

Snack (4pm)
- 1 cup natural set yogurt + equal

Dinner (6pm):
- hor fun (~1 cup flat noodles in gravy w/ shreds of veg) + ~80g chicken meat (breast + normal) + green leafy veg in soup

Snack (8:30pm):
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill in the morning (incline 2nd level, 150m walk/run intervals) followed by 15min isometric stretching on the legs
- 20 mins HIIT bike at the gym

Notes:
Haven't decided whether to change anything yet after the bad news from the Tanita. When I first tasted the natural yogurt, it was so (#@*% sour I wanted to spit it out!! But I added Equal and all was good. I think I'll buy more when I go to the supermarket because it has 11.4g protein, 0.3g fat and 16.0g carbs, 114 cals, no added sugar. The organic PB my mom bought is really high on fat compared to the amount of protein and carbs. ~1/2 tbsp contains 6.0g fat, 3g protein, 1.2g carbs, 71 cals.

I've got another goal, to get into full side splits by year end. I'm doing stretching after every cardio session if I can and will document this.

Gym Workout

Military Press
3 x 12 @ 10/10/30
didn't lower the weight behind my back on the 30

Cable Curls
12/5/6 @ 2/2.5/2.5
changed from BB to cable because of the elbow pain and first BB weight is 10, next is 30... i can't progress slowly, i'd have to jump, which i did, and got the elbow pain

Tricep Pushdown
3 x 10 @ 4 (+1 rep)

4 x 11 @ 17.5 (+1 rep)

Tricep Extension
3 x 12 @ 50 (+2 & + 4 reps on last 2 sets)

Knee Raises
3 x 12

Decline Crunches
3 x 12

Notes:
Progression as planned.

Coke
07-30-2004, 06:43 AM
I would rather you ignore the gauges (don't cry girl, lol) - :D ...you will get the splits down too - ;) Nice work!

TheGimp
07-30-2004, 07:37 AM
I'm not a fan of the Tanita, but even if its measurement of your progress is accurate, I wouldn't be too disappointed. Things are still moving in the right direction although I'm sure there is room for improvement.

I had a plan to improve my flexibility to the stage where I could do the splits but I slacked off :( The problem I find is that after my workout the last thing I feel like doing is stretching. There is also less motivation after I discovered that there is little evidence that it helps to prevent injury.

Shane
07-30-2004, 05:43 PM
The tanita is a very poor method of measuring bodyfat so don't feel bad. My bodyfat fluctuated 4% on a Tanita in one week even though my weight stayed the same and I only worked out a few times that week. Which just shows how inaccurate they can be. So don't feel bad. You should go by calipers if you can since they're convenient and more accurate. I'm kinda surprised they don't use them at your gym. If you can, find out if a nearby university or hospital has a dunk tank so you can get tested via hydrostatic. It's more accurate. And pretty interesting too.

chops
07-30-2004, 06:56 PM
i have no idea what pith is but it it sounds gross :) i don't want to eat anything from a frog in my dessert.

tanita scales are known for giving inflated numbers. hip huggers getting loose is a surefire sign.

dissipate
07-31-2004, 07:37 AM
I would rather you ignore the gauges (don't cry girl, lol)
lol ok cocoa. thanks :)

I'm not a fan of the Tanita, but even if its measurement of your progress is accurate, I wouldn't be too disappointed. Things are still moving in the right direction although I'm sure there is room for improvement.
yeah... i guess you're right gimpy....... i'll just work even harder now!

The problem I find is that after my workout the last thing I feel like doing is stretching.
hahaha same here, especially after cardio - all i want to do is collapse, not torture my legs even more.

shane: ugh 4%. ridiculous machine! yeah i hope to be able to afford callipers next month already.

Q: Has anyone bought stuff from bodybuilding.com? They're offering the Fitness 2k $2 cheaper and the Digital callipers $20 cheaper than the Accu-Measure site so I'm wondering...

thanks chops. i don't think i want to step on it again anytime soon.... tanita can kiss my ass.

Today

- 1 cup of tea + ~20g chicken breast

- ~40g chicken breast + 1 slice guava

Lunch (12 noon):
- ~2/3 cup rice noodles w/ green leafy veg and tofu pieces in soup

Snack (2pm)
- 1 slice multigrain bread + 1 tbsp organic PB

Snack (4pm)
- ~100g chicken breast w/ Nandos hot sauce
- 1 char siew pau

Dinner (7pm):
- 1/2 cup white & brown rice + some green leafy veg + 1 small roast chicken drumstick + 1 medium pomfret + a slice of guava and pineapple + a handful of pinenuts and 3 almonds

Activity:
- 40 mins treadmill in the morning (3.5min jog, 1.5min walk, intervals, lvl3 incline for first 20 mins, lvl2 for next 20) followed by 15min isometric stretching on the legs

Notes:
Was feeling real tired on the treadmill today but I just pushed on. 4th day in a row so I'll be taking a break tomorrow. Will plan my diet change today and tomorrow.

dissipate
08-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Here's the new plan -

Based on 29.9% BF, optimal intake is 1943 cals. What I calculated last time is weird because I can't remember where I got the lean mass figure from... maybe I was too sleepy. I decided to continue using the Katch-McArdle method because it's based on LBM and activity factor.

The 'new' thing about the plan is I'm introducing carb cycling and this is the schedule:

Mon (Cardio + Chest & Back Day) = Low
Tues (Cardio or Off) = Low
Weds (Cardio + Leg Day) = High
Thurs (Cardio or Off) = Low
Fri (Cardio + Shoulders & Arms Day) = Low
Sat (Cardio) = Low
Sun (Cardio or Off) = High

The first thing on my mind was to have the high carbs day on leg day. If I do that, Sunday has to be a high day also followed by two low days before another high day. With cardio, I take a day off after every 4 days but I'm not that comfortable having a high carbs day on an off day so I might do brisk walking on an incline instead when an off day falls on Sunday.

Low Carb Day Macronutrient Ratios:
30% carbs = 420 cals/105g
45% protein = 630 cals/157g
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

High Carb Day Macronutrient Ratios:
50% carbs = 900 cals/225g
30% protein = 810 cals/135g
20% fats = 360 cals/40g

(Taken out of BFFM and I will customise according to results)

At first I was wondering whether to base the low and high carb days on like 30% deficit and 20% deficit but I thought Venuto already has a good moderate example in his book and I'd use that, because although I'm tempted to go down to 1300 on low carb days, some of them are going to fall on days that I do cardio and lifting even and that amount of activity might bring my calories down by too much.

I'm going to try and use carb tapering as well and have no more carbs after 4pm.

What do you guys think?

dissipate
08-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Yesterday -

B: 1/2 cup rolled oats w/ ground cinnamon + 2/3 cup lowfat milk + 1 cup of tea + ~40g chicken breast

L: chicken ramen (ate about 0.7 cup egg noodles and it had ~60g dark chicken meat)

S1: a can of light tuna in water

S2: 1/2 cup roller oats w/ ground cinnamon + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + 20 pinenuts

D: went out to an Italian restaurant with my family and had a bit of caesar salad and like 3/5 a large pizza (paper-thin crust with ham, mushrooms, artichokes and black olives as toppings, the non-greasy kind), and some chocolate/vanilla/pistachio ice-cream

Activity: none (off day)

Notes: The pizza was very light and I was still hungry after eating 3/5 but the ice-cream filled me up. Celebration for entering an even tougher stage of cutting and working out, for making it this far, for going below 30% BF (I was stuck in the 30s since last year). Start with a bang.

Today

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

Mini Breakfast (9:45am):
- 1 cup of tea with a bit of Equal + 3 tbsp cottage cheese

Breakfast (10:50am):
- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + 1 tsp ground cinnamon + Equal
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese

Lunch (1:15pm):
- 1 slice multigrain bread + 1/2 tbsp organic PB
- ~150g chicken breast w/ HP sauce
- 3 medium lettuce leaves + 1 tomato

Snack (4pm):
- 1 cup Pauls natural set yogurt with equal + ~80g chicken breast

Dinner (7pm):
- 2 chunks boiled sweet potato + 1 tbsp white & brown rice
- ~1/2 cup boiled spinach in soup
- 5 fried fishes maybe amounting to 120g fish meat

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill (150m run/walk intervals, lvl 3 incline)
- some housework
- 20mins HIIT bike at the gym

Gym Workout

Cable Flys
12/12/8 @ 6 (+1 rep on last 2 sets)
i'm never going to do this again - doing max reps on the first set and then experiencing dying the next two. i reckon this is what caused me to get stuck at a certain weight for other exercises previously.

3 x 9 @ 70 (+1 rep)
was struggling a little with this

Deadlifts (Rack)
3 x 8 @ 15 (or whatever the weight of the bar is) (-4 reps)
i figured i should start at 8 and progress to 12 - work on strength first

Lat Pulldown
12/12/11 @ 5 (+1 rep on last 2 sets)
not going to do different reps for different sets for this one either. all or none.

Dips (Modular Assisted)
3 x 12 @ 120 (+3 reps on last two sets)

Seated Rows
3 x 10 @ 5 (+1 rep)

3 x 12 @ 140 (+1 rep)
went quite smoothly, i don't know how i did it because the last two times i was dying on this exercise. interesting note: i see people bouncing up and down on this machine all the time, even when they're receiving personal training.

Knee Raises
3 x 12
considering scrapping this

Decline Crunches
3 x 12
i am considering scrapping this exercise since it doesn't do much for abs.... according to some researchers....

Y2A
08-02-2004, 07:29 AM
What the... I read through this whole journal, theres hipster jeans falling off, cutest boy votes, and yet not a SINGLE humpy thrown around here!!! Ill fix that :hump: :hump: :hump: Nice work so far and good luck getting to your goal!!! :D

TheGimp
08-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Good luck with the new plan. I'm interested to see if this carb cycling works :)

Spartan936
08-03-2004, 12:37 AM
3 x 12 @ 140 (+1 rep)

AAHH!!!! *panics and hurriedly plans to catch up*

I can only do 11. lol

JustinF
08-03-2004, 06:04 AM
Nice work in here!

Good luck with the carb cycling.

dissipate
08-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Y2A: lol

gimpy: thanks! i'm curious myself!

spartan: huh? i'm using the assisting machine to do it, with 140 pounds aid. i'm sure you don't even need to use the machine to help??

justin: thanks justin!

Today

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

- 2 cups of tea + 3 tbsp cottage cheese

Breakfast (10:15 am):
- 3 weet-bix biscuits + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + 1 tsp ground cinnamon + Equal
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese

Lunch (1 pm):
- fish noodle soup (rice noodles with boiled sliced fish in soup and some green leafy veg)
- ~80g chicken breast

Snack (4pm):
- ~80g chicken breast + ~20g fried fish (1 fish) + ~180g tauhui

Dinner (7pm):
- 1 tbsp brown & white rice + ~40g fried fish (2 fishes) + ~100g chicken breast + pile of green leafy veg stirfried with garlic and ginger

Activity:
- 40 mins treadmill (3.5min jog (~160-170bps), 1.5min walk, intervals, lvl 3 incline) followed by 15 mins isometric stretching
- washed a car

Notes:
3 Weet-Bix biscuits has the same protein content as 1/2 cup rolled oats, 0.9g less carbs, 3.7g less fat, 26 cals less in all. That plus the fish noodle soup I had for lunch made it pretty close to my carb limit for today. Ugh. Being on low carbs is tough. I was feeling kinda lethargic this afternoon, not sure why.

Anyway, tomorrow is a high day so I can eat more than 2x as much carbs. I should look for bagels at the supermarket.

I was doing some research on stretching and found out that cycling hinders gains in flexibility so no more cycling at the gym from now on.

ryuage
08-03-2004, 10:59 AM
you make 1400 calories sounds so yummy... good note on the cycling, maybe I should stop?? they say the reasoning.

chops
08-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Dinner (7pm):
- 1 tbsp brown & white rice

that's portion control at it's best :burger:

i saw in someone's journal (i think gimp?) there's choco chip weetbix :drooling:

looks like you did a lot of homework. good luck w/ the new plan.

Alke
08-03-2004, 03:33 PM
wow, awesome work on the attention to detail in food category.....good luck with the goals man!

JustinF
08-04-2004, 03:52 AM
Nice job on the diet girlie!! 1tbsp rice? What's that equal, like 1 bite??

TheGimp
08-04-2004, 05:00 AM
Yeah, I'm the fan of chocolate chip weetabix :D

Diet's looking good :thumbup:

Punky
08-04-2004, 05:47 AM
Nice job! I admire the attention to diet detail. I usually get too bogged down with the numbers and do best when I just count cals. Are you using 1900 cals as maintainance or is that what you're shooting for for your daily intake?

Thanks!

Keep up the good work!

dissipate
08-05-2004, 09:17 AM
ryuage: thanks! are you trying to increase your flexibility too?

that's portion control at it's best
lol!

thanks chops... aaaaaaaaaaah!!!..... choco chip weetbix............................

alke: :hello: thanks!

gimpy: another thing i can't find here()*$#@($*%!

punky: thanks! 1900 is maintenance but i'm cyling with 1400 on low days and 1800 on high days so there'll always be at least a deficit of 100.

Yesterday

Weight: 56kg
eh.....

1800 cals
20% fats = 360 cals/40g

Mini Breakfast (8am):
- 2 cups of tea + 20g chicken breast

Breakfast (10am):
- 1/2 cup Great Grains Crunchy Pecan + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + 30g chicken breast

- chicken noodle soup (1/1/2 cups egg noodles + 80g chicken breast + green leafy veg)

Snack (3pm):
- 1 glass soya milk + 2 walnuts + 4 boiled egg whites

Snack (4pm):
- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 1/2 cup lowfat milk

Dinner (7:30pm):
- meatloaf with a bit of veg and potato salad on the side

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill in the morning (150m walk/run intervals, lvl3 incline) followed by 15mins stretching
- 20 mins elliptical at the gym

Gym Workout

Squats (Smith Machine)
3 x 10 @ 70 (+1 rep)

3 x 10 @ 70 (+1 rep)

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 10 @ 50 (+1 rep)

Lying Leg Curls
3 x 12 @ 45 (+1 rep)

3 x 10 @ 55 (+1 rep)

Overall Notes:
My feet went numb while I was on the Elliptical.......... :confused: I went out for dinner with some friends and enjoyed every bit of food I ate!

dissipate
08-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Today

Weight: close to 57kg

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

Breakfast (9:30 am):
- 3 weet-bix biscuits + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + Equal
- 2 cups tea
- ~20g fish (fried fish)

Lunch (12 noon):
- viet beef noodles (~1/2 cup cellophane noodles + a few thins slices of beef)
- ~70g chicken breast
i bought along my own boiled chicken breast in aluminium foil hahahaha

Snack (3pm):
- 1/2 cup soya milk + 2 walnuts + 70g chicken breast

Snack (4pm):
- 1 can light tuna in water + 1 diet coke

Dinner (7pm):
- 1 chunk sweet potato + a pile of green leafy veg in soup + 70g chicken breast + ~80g tofu

Activity:
none (cardio rest day)

Notes:
Went to a big supermarket and found natty PB going cheaper because they expire in Dec, so I bought two jars mmm. The tough thing so far about low days isn't how little food I'm allowed to eat but how careful I have to be watching my carb intake, trying to spread it throughout the day and finding protein to eat.

Coke
08-05-2004, 09:56 AM
It really is nice to go out and eat like that and step back from the dieting - ;) ...fine leg work.

chops
08-05-2004, 11:23 AM
i think i would have withdrawal symptoms if i didn't have easy access to natty pb :). good job on all the new red. lateral and medial heads? whoa :study:

dissipate
08-06-2004, 07:07 AM
justin: whoops i missed your post. yeah 1 tbsp rice is like a bite lol. a small bite.

It really is nice to go out and eat like that and step back from the dieting
agreed!! hehe. thanks!

chops: withdrawal symptoms lol. how do you make unsalted natty PB taste a bit nicer?

good job on all the new red. lateral and medial heads?
thanks! yeah lateral and medial heads hehe. i noticed some people have one head larger than the other and i want mine to be even so i target both, one at a time.

about the legs, i think i could do heavier squats and deadlifts because i don't feel the strain like when i do hack squats. i'm not sure whether to increase till i feel a strain or not........

Today

Mini Breakfast (8am):
- 1 cup tea + 4 tbsp cottage cheese

- 3 tbsp cottage cheese

- chicken + veg handmade noodles
crappy restaurant.... i remember eating only 2 wee pieces of "chicken" (mainly cornflour), smaller than my thumb even. good thing i brought along 165g chicken breast in aluminium foil like yesterday. never ever going back there again. ridiculous place.
- 3 fish dumplings

Snack (gym):
- 2 gulps of soya milk before and 1 gulp after workout

Snack (5:30pm)
- 1 can light tuna in water with Nandos sauce

Dinner (7:15pm):
- ~50g sweet potato + ~100g chicken breast w/ green leafy veg stirfried with garlic
- 0.5 tbsp natty PB

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill in the morning (150m walk/run intervals, lvl3 incline) followed by 20min isometric stretching on the legs
- 20 mins elliptical at the gym (HR 160-170)

Gym Workout

Military Press
3 x 9 @ 30 (+1 rep)

Modular Curls
5/12/12 @ 2.5/2/2 (-2.5 weight)
i lowered the weight because i thought managing to do only 5 curls was kinda pathetic and i wanted to give 2 another shot at 12 reps to see if i really could manage it and needed to increase the weight. i could with just a little bit of struggling and should increase the weight and just have low reps first i guess.

Tricep Pushdown
3 x 12 @ 4 (+2 reps)

4 x 12 @ 17.5 (+1 rep)

Tricep Extension
8/8/6 @ 55 (+5 weight)

Knee Raises
3 x 12

Decline Crunches
3 x 12

Overall Notes:
Haven't posted much the last two days because I was busy trying to take over the world in Rise of Nations (MS game). I succeeded last night so there's no need to play anymore. I was rushing to the gym in the afternoon and forgot my notebook, forgot to eat some protein before I went, and forgot the weights/reps I was at, but I guess things worked out.

Bought a small packet of soya milk at the supermarket and drank some before and after, and guessed the weight/reps. My feet went numb again while on the elliptical.

I decided to still continue with the knee raises and decline crunches after all because Thomas Kurz (http://www.stadion.com/author_kurz.html) says they help strengthen the abdomen and lower back. (I'm using Thomas Kurz's methods for achieving side splits.)

Y2A
08-06-2004, 07:34 AM
Nice workouts and diet, keep it up. On the road to total hotness here :thumbup: :hump:

iLUDEd
08-06-2004, 12:22 PM
My feet went numb again while on the elliptical.

haha dam, that happens to me too after about 25min..

ryuage
08-06-2004, 12:31 PM
same here, my feet go numb its funny getting off of it and stumbling every time haha/

Shane
08-06-2004, 01:06 PM
I have people who's feet go numb all the time cuz I've never experienced that. How long does it last?

dissipate
08-07-2004, 07:04 AM
thanks Y2A :)

shane: i have been doing 20 mins on the elliptical and the numbness starts after about 10 minutes. my left foot first then both feet and it lasts for the remaining 10 mins. after i get off the machine the feeling returns to my feet.

lude + ryuage + everyone: after doing some googling on elliptical and "numb feet", i came across two pages that i found noteworthy.

http://www.foodfit.com/fitness/archive/askFitness_apr02.asp
suggests changing or loosening shoes, lowering ramp adjustment, spending less time on the elliptical and slowly increasing.

http://www.ellitpicalfitnesscrosstraining.com/fit_ask_answers.php?id=7#7
suggests loosening shoelaces, making sure the shoes have plenty of space for the toes, etc.

seems that the numbness is probably caused by constantly using the balls of the feet to move the foot pedals.

Today

hmm....

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

Mini Breakfast (9am):
- 1 cup tea + 3 tbsp cottage cheese

- 3 weet-bix biscuits + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + equal
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese + 1/4 guava

- 140g chicken breast w/ nandos sauce + 40g sweet potato (just a small chunk) + 1 tomato + 3 large lettuce leaves + 1 glass soya milk

Snack (3pm):
- 1 cup natural set yogurt + equal

Snack (4pm)
- 1/2 tbsp natty PB + 1 tbsp organic PB + a handful of prawn crackers

Dinner (7pm):
- 1 tbsp white & brown rice + ~140g chicken + ~70g fish (seabass and pomfret) + a pile of cabbage

Activity:
- 40mins treadmill (3.5min jog 1.5min walk intervals, lvl3 incline)

Notes:
Was feeling tired and lethargic in the afternoon. I just had to eat something "normal" so I ate those prawn crackers and felt much better. I used to hate weet-bix when I was a kid because it was tasteless like cardboard and chewy, but now that I've got used to more bland food, I enjoy eating it.

Stretching for side splits improved by a lot today, I think because I figured how to rotate my thighs outward.

Can't wait for high day tomorrow.

iLUDEd
08-07-2004, 08:36 AM
loosen shoelaces, gotcha.. ill give it a go when i do my cardio tonight :)

chops
08-07-2004, 09:58 AM
i tried unsalted natty pb before but i was too bland for me so i switched back to regular. i really don't worry about my salt intake since i drink water all day long.

how long are you trying the cycling for?

ryuage
08-07-2004, 09:59 AM
i agree with using the balls of my feet as I probably do, will give the loosening of the shoe laces a try as well. The things you can find on google :)

Shane
08-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Let me know if loosening the shoes helps so I can pass it on.

You can do the splits? :thumbup:

dissipate
08-08-2004, 09:04 AM
lude: did the shoelace thing work?

ryuage: yeah i use mainly the balls of my feet to move the paddles. my heels don't come in contact with them much. let us know also if what you did worked!! and google is the guru! :P

shane: my turn on the elliptical should be next tuesday, will post what happens. i can't do the splits yet boohoo... but may be able to soon. ;)

chops: hehe i guess i might add my own salt or something, or continue mixing it with the organic PB. organic's kinda bland already though :/

how long are you trying the cycling for?
actually, i'm not sure ATM lol. i started the plan without planning how long i was going to try it for. i should open BFFM and see how long venuto suggests doing it for. might cut it short depending on the results i see in the mirror after maybe a month, since i'm not really eager to step on a tanita anytime soon. what do you think?

oh ya, i kinda cheated last night. ate a date and a piece of leftover chicken about 1/2h after posting. gave in to my body's cries for food. :/

Today

1800 cals
20% fats = 360 cals/40g

Mini Breakfast (9:15am):
- 1 cup tea + 2 tbsp cottage cheese

- 1/2 cup great grains crunchy pecan + 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- ~30g leftover chicken

Lunch (1pm):
- shared freemantle fish & chips (boiled potatoes actually) and seafood mee goreng (spicy yellow noodles with tomatoes, chilli, 3 prawns, a few pieces of squid) with my mother, so i had half of each.

Snack (3pm):
- ~140g chicken breast w/ Nandos sauce

Snack (4pm)
- 1 glass soya milk + herbal jelly + some ice-cream (<1 scoop)

Dinner (7pm):
- chicken rice (i had 1/3 cup rice and most of the chicken they gave me was fat or skin or bones so i'd say i ate maybe only 20g dark chicken meat)
- some cabbage, green leafy veg, a tube of silken tofu, some instant noodles (went home and decided to cook something with protein up and didn't eat much of the instant noodles, was just going for flavour)

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill in the morning (150m run/walk intervals, lvl3 incline)
- 20 mins treadmill in the afternoon (brisk walking, lvl10 incline)

Notes:
Not really sure about the intake today. Might have overshot fat because of the fish I ate for lunch, and undershot the protein. Today was a bad day so I don't want to stress over this too much. Back to 1400 cals tomorrow.

I decided also to shift tomorrow's (Monday's) shoulder and back workout at the gym to Tuesday because tomorrow is a holiday, high possibility of gym being crowded in the afternoon. 4 day cardio will go as planned up to Monday. I have always thought rest days should consist of total rest, no cardio and no lifting, but I'm going against this when I don't do running on Tuesday but use the Elliptical.

Also, I was thinking of trying to do leg day on 1400 cals to see if I had enough energy to survive it, because that would be maximising my 3-day low allowance.

Lots to think about but I just want to sleep and forget today.

Spartan936
08-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Also, I was thinking of trying to do leg day on 1400 cals.

:eek: You brave woman. I would die.

Shane
08-08-2004, 01:38 PM
What holiday is it?

Salt is our friend. :D

JustinF
08-09-2004, 03:30 AM
I'd hardly call leftover chicken a "cheat". Especially with all the activity you are doing. Nice work.

dissipate
08-09-2004, 09:13 AM
spartan: hahaha!! i think i changed my mind about that though. leg day is one of the best days to have the 1800 cals on because i'm going to be burning up a lot of that so 1800 isn't going to be so bad. also, i think the increase might improve my workout. more benefits to put 1800 on leg day than any other day, so 1800 stays on leg day.

shane: a holiday ;) yeah i'll prob add in salt when i finish the organic PB

justin: hehe. it went over my protein limit and i ate it within the 2 hours before bedtime so i considered it bad.

Today

Breakfast (11am):
- 3 weet-bix biscuits + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + equal

- pho bo + mango salad
- 105g chicken breast (i bought my own in aluminium foil again)

Snack (3pm):
- 1 glass soya milk + 10 pinenuts

Snack (4pm)
- 105g chicken breast + 4 half walnuts

- pile of green leafy veg + ~100g chicken breast from herbal chicken + ~80g sweet & sour fish + ~2 tbsp tanghoon (glass noodles)

Snack (11pm):
- carrot (sliced into sticks and dipped into bolognese sauce)

Activity:
- 40 mins treadmill (3.5min jog/1.5min walk intervals, lvl3 incline)

Notes:
Was going to do another 20 min session in the afternoon but after 5 mins on lvl10 incline, my shins started hurting so I stopped. Got hungry just before bedtime, which is now, and ate a carrot.

Focused70
08-09-2004, 09:15 AM
hi dissipate.

your mealz are way better than mine.

nice journal btw.

Stash

TheGimp
08-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Got hungry just before bedtime, which is now, and ate a carrot.

Good food choice :)

Shane
08-09-2004, 09:35 AM
You can't tell me what holiday it is??? :(

Always so secretive. :p

chops
08-09-2004, 10:27 AM
pho bo :)
sounds like fur ball now that saying it in my head.

sounds like a good call you made on leg day!

Y2A
08-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Consistent awesomeness, keep it up. Wheres teh pics?

Oh, and, :hump:

Alke
08-09-2004, 02:46 PM
wow, 1400 cals....I eat that in one meal LOL your eating habits are aces!

where are you at currently with your goals?

dissipate
08-10-2004, 08:47 AM
stash: thanks! :) sometimes i feel like i'm not eating as clean as i should be though... no idea why.

gimpy: hehe. was looking for something crunchy and low in cals/sugar.

shane: :P

chops: lol. it's the correct name for the beef noodles right? pho bo?

sounds like a good call you made on leg day!
yeah... sometimes when i type late at night close to my bedtime, my head gets muddled and thinks weird thoughts.

Y2A: hmm pics eh...

alke: 1400 cals in 1 meal?!!! arhghg i wish i could eat more!!!!!!! WHEN can i eat more?!!!!??!! i'm at the beginning of my goals i think, should be under 30% BF already. i started late june at 31% according to the tanita.

Today

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

Breakfast (9am):
- 1 cup tea + 1/2 cup rolled oats + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + cinnamon & Equal

Lunch (12 noon):
- chicken noodle soup (1 cup egg noodles + ~110g chicken breast in soup) w/ green chilli

Snack (4pm):
- ~100g chicken breast + ~200g tauhui (drained out the sugary water)

Dinner (7pm):
- Leftover egg noodles from lunch ~1/2 cup + leftover glass noodles from yesterday ~1/2 cup + 1 tbsp rice + half steamed pomfret (i think ~120g fish) + ~60g tauhu + a few stalks of green leafy veg

Activity:

Gym Workout

Flys
12/12/8 @ 6 stuck

Lat Pulldown
3 x 12 @ 5 (+1 rep on last set)

Bench Press
10/10/9 @ 70 (+1 rep on first 2 sets, kinda stuck)

Deadlifts
3 x 8 @ 5/5/10 (+ weight)

Decline Crunches
3 x 12

Seated Rows
5/10/10 @ 6/5/5

Dips
3 x 8 @ 110 (-10 weight)

Chin-ups
3 x 8 @ 130 (-10 weight)

Knee Raises
3 x 12

Overall Notes:
Just an average workout I think. I've been having average workouts for some time, I wonder whether it's because of the decrease in carbs and calories. I think I'm stuck on flys. Been struggling with 3 sets of 12 at that weight for three weeks or more already and I can't even do 1 rep at 8 so I'm not really sure what to do about this.

With benching, doing 10 reps at 70 is a struggle too. I managed do deadlifts with some weight on the bar today though, so I think I might tackle the exercises which I'm stuck at by doing 4-8 reps at that weight to gain strength first.

No change on seated rows today because my back was wiped out after deadlifts. As for cardio, I decided to give my legs a rest because my shins were still hurting when I did my 5 min warm-up on the treadmill at the gym. Hope they'll be fine tomorrow cos I intend to run in the morning.

1800 cals tomorrow.

Fun fact of the day: I sneeze when I eat raw onions.

chops
08-10-2004, 09:30 AM
yep pho bo is correct. do you switch the order of your excercises? that may help but it's normal to see decreases when u are eating less. i had the same problem getting stuck with flys so i switched from dbs to machine. if u are doing isolation before compounds (flys before bench) that is probably causing your bench to suffer & should be switched.

Coke
08-10-2004, 10:24 AM
You will soon rise above previous efforts, good session regardless - nice to always see a workout was completed.

Y2A
08-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Y2A: hmm pics eh...

There sure would be alot more humpies in here, thats for sure :D :hump: :angel:

TheGimp
08-10-2004, 01:27 PM
You could try mixing things around, such as doing one arm flys and dumbell bench press. Or if you have a spotter you could try some negative reps. Or maybe take a week off.

Shane
08-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Nice workout Diss. That's a cute puppy you got there.

Punky
08-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Keep it up dissipate, you're doing great! I was eating at about 1200-1300 cals per day for about 2 weeks and my workouts sucked, but I lost 2 lbs.

dissipate
08-11-2004, 08:51 AM
chops: i switch exercises sometimes, usually only if someone's using the machine i want to use.

i had the same problem getting stuck with flys so i switched from dbs to machine.
hmmm maybe i should switch to dbs for awhile then........ i think i'll try them out next time :)

if u are doing isolation before compounds (flys before bench) that is probably causing your bench to suffer & should be switched.
you're right... arhhghghg why didn't i think of that before??!!! will do bench press first from now on. using dbs for flys is considered compound too though right?

cocoa: thanks :)

gimpy: thanks for the suggestions!! i'll start mixing and switching things. i've been thinking of taking a week off, same time i end the carb cycling plan and switch back to the same amount of calories everyday.

(+chops) BFFM suggests doing carb cycling for 12-16 weeks so i think i'll take a break after that.

what are negative reps?

shane: thanks shane :P that was my lab when he was small. he looks a little bad tempered in the pic do you think?

thanks for the encouragement punky!!! :)

my workouts sucked
better than nothing eh! you've come a long way from your first journal post so you keep it up too!! :)

Today

1800 cals
20% fats = 360 cals/40g

Breakfast (9am):

Breakfast (11 am):
- 1/2 cup Great Grains Crunchy Pecan + 1/2 cup lowfat milk

Lunch (1pm):
- chamwich :) (2 slices multigrain bread + 2 slices kraft singles light + 1 slice apple baked ham)
- a tomato + some lettuce + ~70g chicken breast + 1 cup soya milk

Snack (4pm):
- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 1/2 cup Crunchy Pecan + 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- ~70g chicken breast + some croutons + an almond biscuit

Dinner (7pm):
- ~2/3 cup white & brown rice + ~50g chicken breast + ~70g stirfried mackeral + pile of xiao bai cai

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill (150m run/walk intervals, lvl3 incline, +1 speed)
- 20 mins elliptical at the gym

Gym Workout

Squats
3 x 12 @ 70 (+2 reps)

Straight Legged Deadlifts
3 x 12 @ 50 (+2 reps)

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 12 @ 50 (+2 reps)

Lying Leg Curls
3 x 8 @ 50 (+5 weight)

Hack Squats
3 x 12 @ 40 (+2 reps)

Machine Adductions
3 x 8 @ 50

Seated Machine Hip Abductions
3 x 8 @ 50

Overall Notes:
Woke up in the morning feeling kinda sick because I had a nightmare. Anyway, I forgot about it after some tea and cottage cheese and reading God's promises. HIIT passed fast today, I think because I was listening to new techno stuff that I burned. Felt like I had lots of energy after eating lunch so I increased reps today by 2. Also added in the abduction things to strengthen my lower body for splits.

Now I think my poor performance at the gym recently _is_ due to the reduced food intake.

dissipate
08-12-2004, 02:17 AM
i forgot to add that i did some cooking yesterday. made coleslaw according to chops' receipe kind of while my mother was outside the house. before i went to the gym, i took some just-expired multigrain bread, chopped them into small squares, put them in a bag and drenched them with olive oil, shaked the bag a bit, laid them out on aluminium foil, added cayenne pepper and italian seasoning, bunged it into the oven for 5 minutes.

the croutons smelled lovely and tasted fantastic. ate half a bag yesterday and half today. it's a bit like roti john except healthier. yeah, this is the western version lol.

and when i did the elliptical at the gym, i loosened my shoelaces a lot and tried to push down on the foot pedals with my heels. it became a sort of rolling action where i pushed down with my heels first then the balls of my feet. numbness came only after 15 mins this time, compared to 10 minutes last time, and my feet weren't as numb as before.

Today

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

Major oops day today because I forgot to change the caloric limit and macronutrient ratio in the Diet Diary program. :redface: I used 4 slices of multigrain bread for the croutons and I have no idea how many tbsp of olive oil so I'm guessing I ate about 2 slices today and 2-3 tbsp olive oil.

Mini Breakfast (9am):

Breakfast (9:45am):
- 1 cup tea + 3 weet-bix biscuits + 1/2 cup lowfat milk w/ cinnamon & Equal
- some croutons

Lunch (12 noon):
- yong tau fu (2 bunches bak choy, 1 bundle kangkong, 2 pieces tau hu, 2 pieces tau pok, no noodles)

Snack (2pm):
- chicken wrap (1 piece wholemeal wrap, ~110g chicken breast, a few lettuce leaves)
- 1/3 cup soya milk + 1/4 guava

Snack (4pm):
- 10g chicken breast

Dinner (7pm):
my mom's cooking beef stew for dinner so i'll only have a bit

Activity:
not sure yet

Notes:
WHOOOOOPS!!!! *smacks forehead*

I only realised after eating my 2pm snack when I was checking how much more I could eat. I think I've overshot on fat by almost 10g because of the olive oil in the croutons, very close to the limit already for carbs, and can still take in protein. Good thing I haven't overshot everything yet. Pure beef for me tonight.

After doing 5 mins brisk walking warmup and jogging 5 mins on the treadmill this morning, my left calf and right thigh were a little painful-achey... probably from yesterday's pushed workout so I stopped and wanted to let my legs rest today.

Buuuuuut... after realising my macronutrient ratios and eating were off, I think I'll try again later this evening when it's not so hot, before dinner. Hehe... hope this doesn't happen again.

JustinF
08-12-2004, 05:57 AM
Nice work in the gym.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bit of extra fat intake, it's good fat. ;)

Focused70
08-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Great leg session, Ms. D. :clap:

Stash

chops
08-12-2004, 09:50 AM
how'd u like the salad and what did u put in it?

i made another version using apple cider, ginger, and chili flakes - trying to do the hot n' sour thing. i liked using rice vinegar better -apple vinegar tastes stronger. going to whip a balsamic version next.

TheGimp
08-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Great job on the cooking! Putting my ready prepared food to shame :rolleyes:

Spartan936
08-12-2004, 11:31 PM
:drooling: mmmmmm... balsalmic vinager.... mmmmmm

nice job dissipate!

iLUDEd
08-13-2004, 02:40 AM
diet looking nice and strict, good goin!

dissipate
08-13-2004, 06:24 AM
justin, stash, gimpy, spartan, lude: thanks!! :)

justin: hehe next time i do croutons i think i'll have to reduce the amount of olive oil i put in and keep the eating to high days only.

chops: in your journal. you must love cooking a lot because you've done like 101 versions of coleslaw already :P

gimpy: lol! that was just one day actually heh. i usually prefer ready prepared food too!

*puts a curly straw into a bottle of balsamic vinegar and serves it to spartan*

Today

Mini Breakfast (9am):

Breakfast (10am):

Lunch (12 noon):
- hor fun (rice noodles) w/ 4 prawns, a couple pieces of fish and shreds of veg + 0.5 cup tea
left some noodles behind

Snack (1pm):
- 1 cup of tea + ~ 60g chicken breast

Snack (4pm)
- 1 diet coke + ~60g chicken breast + an almond biscuit + a slice of apple

Dinner (7pm):
- 3 small chunks of sweet potato + 1 tbsp rice + a pile of green leafy veg + stirfried chicken breast

Activity:
- 10 mins treadmill in the morning (stopped because my left calf was still achy-hurting and uncomfortable, had shin splints in right leg (?!?!))
- 45mins elliptical + 10mins rowing

Gym Workout

Military Press
3 x 10 @ 30 (+1 rep)

Modular Curls
3 x 5 @ 2.5 (+2.5 weight)
decided to raise the weight in the end, and just do lower reps first to build up strength

Tricep Pushdown
3 x 5 @ 5 (+1 weight)

5/12/12 @ 20/17.5/17.5
tried to up the weight of the dumbbell but i couldn't do at least 5 reps with good form so i went back to the previous weight and made sure i had good form for 12 reps. will up again next week

Tricep Extension
3 x 6 @ 55
i did an 8/8/6 last week and struggled with the weight so i'll do it with lower reps first

Knee Raises
skipped

Decline Crunches
skipped

Overall Notes:
My legs weren't feeling good this morning despite the 1 hour massage I gave them yesterday. The weird thing was the shin splints on the right leg because I rarely get them on that leg. I might stop running for a week the legs some rest... I'm not sure yet since I have to take lifting and the high days into consideration as well. Will probably try running again tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Lifting was ok. I don't feel like I worked myself hard enough even though I upped the weight on most and used reps that brought me to near-failure.

As for cardio...... I cardio'd the crappola outta myself at the gym!!! To make up for yesterday and this morning. Skipped the ab stuff so that I'd have more time. After 15 mins of elliptical, I paused for 15s so that some feeling would return to my feet, then did another 15 mins. Then rowing for 10 mins - didn't want to have to leave the gym on a wheelchair cos of the numb feet :D Then another 15 mins on the elliptical. Heartrate on the elliptical was between 160 and 180 the whole time so I think I burnt a lot of calories.

Welp... time to go massage my legs somemore.......

ryuage
08-13-2004, 09:28 AM
good going on the cardio and diet is looking ace. Yah maybe give your legs a break as far as running goes for the shin splints.

Spartan936
08-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Definitely nice cardio. btw, vinager tastes best when you dip whole wheat bread into it. When I do it it makes me feel sophisticated for some strange reason. lol

Shane
08-13-2004, 12:23 PM
I'd give it a break from running for a week or two goober. Do some other form of cardio for those few weeks like biking or boxing or something. Better than risking it.

Y2A
08-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Nice work :D Wanna cook me some food? Pleeeease my mom is 1000 miles away :( ;)

Focused70
08-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Woot for teh session.

[Homer Simpson voice]Mmmmm....masssage.[/Homer Simpson voice] :D

Stash

chops
08-13-2004, 01:56 PM
uh oh. shane has deemed you goober-worthy!

yeah i do enjoy experimenting with recipes :) for my dream kitchen, i want a big island with an additional basin, wolf and subzero appliances.

for the coleslaw, it's so easy to make and helping me get more veggies in my diet. now that i figured out the mandoline, i'm like "hmmm what else can i make with this".

TheGimp
08-13-2004, 05:30 PM
That's some great cardio work :)

dissipate
08-14-2004, 08:40 AM
ryuage, spartan, y2a, stash, gimp: thanks! like 1/2 before bedtime (11pm) last night i got ***RAVENOUS*** and drank 3 cups of water to try and quench the hunger but it didn't work. so i ate some food slowly.... had 2 tbsp cottage cheese, half a carrot with bolognese sauce, a few almond biscuit slices (they're these paper shin sheets of biscuit thing covered with sliced almonds mmmm), finished up the bottle of organic PB (about 2 tbsp), 1/3 guava. felt better, but i couldn't sleep the whole night lol.

vinager tastes best when you dip whole wheat bread into it
?!?!?!?!?!!

When I do it it makes me feel sophisticated for some strange reason. lol
lol

y2a: i can cook some instant noodles for you ahahaha

chops: lol. big island for dream kitchen? where is the rest of the house going to be if the kitchen takes up the whole island?!

Today

Small Breakfast (9:30am):

met some insurance people for a cheap buffet breakfast at a club cafe... there wasn't anything much there......
- a fork of fried noodles + 2 scrambed egg whites w/ diced red & green peppers + a chicken chipolata + a tiny piece of pancake (like the size of 4 50c coins put together) w/ a bit of maple syrup + a piece of prata (roti prata) with some curry gravy on top (i didn't take the potato and curry chicken) + like 1/5 hash brown (they cut them up into real tiny pieces)
- a cup of tea

Lunch (1pm):
- roast beef wrap (3 lean roast beef slices + lettuce leaves + 1 wholemeal wrap)
- a slice of pineapple

Snack (3pm):
- 1 cup of soya milk + 5 almonds and a walnut

Snack (4pm)
- ~ 110g chicken breast w/ bolognese sauce

Dinner (7pm):
- ~100g sweet potato + 1 tbsp white & brown rice + a pile of chinese spinach + a fish (~80g fish meat) + ~120g white & dark roasted chicken meat

Snack (9pm):
- 1 tbsp cottage cheese + some almond biscuit things (arhghg i can't stop eating them!!!)

Activity:
- 30 mins treadmill in the afternoon (3.5min jog 1.5min walk intervals, lvl3 incline)

Overall Notes:
I think I ate a lot last night before bed lol. Wonder whether the food took away my sleep. Was feeling horrid this morning from lack of sleep (was practically awake or semi-awake the whole night). The buffet breakfast thing was kinda lousy actually.. mostly fatty greasy carbs and no meaty stuff. My first round was my last round.

In the early afternoon while I was watching swimming (olympics), I decided to go on the treadmill but my left calf wasn't feeling alright still so I stopped. Rubbed some Chinese medicine, iced my legs, did some massaging, rubbed on some Tiger Balm Sports Rub... my leg felt better after that and I don't know why but I tried running again and there didn't seem to be the same achey-pain like before so I went on for 30 minutes. (powers of massage eh stash :P)

Didn't go up to 40 because the heat in the afternoon was stifling... maybe 31 degrees celcius.. couldn't breathe well and decided to let my legs off the last 10 minutes.

ryuage + shane: I think I'll see how the legs are tomorrow morning when I try to run again. If they're still sore w/o the Tiger Balm and Chinese medicine, I'll stop for a week and use the elliptical when I go to the gym.

It's funny. After not running for a few days, it's a bit painful when you start again. But after not elliptical-ing for a few days, it still feels the same.

ryuage
08-14-2004, 12:08 PM
I would think your sleep would be disturbed by all the water you tried to drink before you slept :)

dissipate
08-15-2004, 07:56 AM
ryuage: hehe. yeah that was a lot of water.

Today

1800 cals
20% fats = 360 cals/40g

- 1 cup tea + 1/2 tbsp cottage cheese

Breakfast (10:30 am):

Lunch (1pm):
- chicken wrap (1 WM wrap + ~110g chicken breast + bolognese sauce)
- 1 kaya toast + 1tbsp natty PB w/ a bit of salt + 1/2 cup soya milk
the unsalted PB tastes better with a bit of salt

Snack (4pm):
- 3 slices turkey bacon and a bit of pancake
managed to find prepackaged turkey bacon in the supermarket. a bit more than 1/2 is fat and i chopped all those bits away. tedious heh but tasty

Snack (5pm):
- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + cinnamon and Equal + 5 almonds

Dinner (7pm):
- Pad Thai
- 1/2 can tuna + diet coke(went home to eat it)

Snack (10pm):
- leftover chicken from dinner yesterday

Activity:
- 40 mins HIIT treadmill in the morning (150m walk/run intervals, lvl3 incline)

Notes:
Had better sleep last night even though I had problems falling asleep. I'm not sure whether I should try some non-prescription and non-addictive sleeping aids sold in pharmacies while I'm trying to taper off the stuff I'm currently on. The Valerian I'm taking helps me to stay asleep and fall back asleep if I wake up, but I need something to put me to sleep first.

I was cautious while doing the HIIT. There was discomfort in my right shin after 10 minutes and discomfort in the left calf after 15 minutes, but nothing severe to stop me from continuing. Was initally only going to run for 30 minutes but I thought bah I'll do it for 40. Watching the Olympics while I'm working out is sweet. It's always very motivating to watch other people working out for competitions or competing on TV while I'm working out.

In the afternoon I was going to cook some pancakes as a snack and my mom was hungry so she asked me to make banana pancakes... like pancakes with banana slices embedded. I tried to and it ended up looking like scrambled eggs. She came into the kitchen while I was trying to make the pancake insides cook and was like "what's this??" lol. Well she refused to eat it in the end so I tried to eat it with turkey bacon but only ate a bit because I like my bananas plain and the scrambled banana pancake was kinda gross hahaha.

Y2A: still want me to cook for you? lol

Pad Thai for dinner at a foodcourt but it didn't contain much protein. Only minute cubes of taugua. So I went home and ate some leftover tuna. Oh dear... I don't think I met my protein requirements......... but I'm so full........... pffft I think I'll go eat some leftover chicken.

Oh about the cardio, I'm planning to not run on Mon/Weds/Fri and go on the Elliptical after I lift instead... will probably have to skip the abs and abductor exercises so that there's enough time :/ I'll be running the rest of the days.

Spartan936
08-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Bacon!??!??!?!? Think of the piggies! lol

Nice work.

chops
08-15-2004, 11:54 AM
i dont know anything about shin splints am seeing a lot about them in your journal. if it's only during running, then perhaps doing a different form of cardio for the week may be beneficial. just 2 cents, but you know that saying about the straw that hurt the camels' back...

i've tried to make pad thai before but it turned out to be a soggy mess. oh the island thing is a countertop cabinent thingy in the middle of the kitchen, not literally big like an island, heh.

your workouts and attention to detail look great!

Shane
08-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Do you use any of that funny smelling Chinese herb stuff? We used to use dit da jow all the time in Wing Chun. It worked great but that stuff smelled like elephant ass.

chops
08-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Do you use any of that funny smelling Chinese herb stuff? We used to use dit da jow all the time in Wing Chun. It worked great but that stuff smelled like elephant ass.

*takes a big whiff of tiger's balm*
what are you talking about? this stuff smells damn good.

dissipate
08-16-2004, 08:24 AM
spartan: but....... piggies are delicious...... eh. that was turkey bacon anyway lol.

chops: hmmm ok. thanks for your concern. i will continue to be extra cautious while running and careful with the shin splints and legs. thank you :)

i've tried to make pad thai before but it turned out to be a soggy mess
lol. try again!!

oh the island thing is a countertop cabinent thingy in the middle of the kitchen, not literally big like an island, heh.
oh................. so that's what big island is hahaha.

shane: it's great smelling Chinese herb stuff!! lol. i'm not sure what dit da jow is actually... what's it called in Chinese? i use mainly zheng gu shui after exercising (also for bruises and injuries) and tiger balm for massaging and for pre-exercise. didn't use them much when i was studying in australia though, cos westerners usually hate the smell.

hm talking about this, i can't think of any food westerners eat that asians dislike.....

Zheng Gu Shui contents
18g Radix Notoginseng
12.96g Rhizoma Curcumae
10.08g Cinnamomum Camphora
9.36g Radix Angelicae Dahuricae
7.8g Moghania Macrophylla
7.2g Rhizoma Polygoni Cuspidati
3.12g Metholum
2.76g Camphora

see if you can get hold of a bottle of dit da jow and compare the contents?

yay chops!! :thumbup: :clap:

Today

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

- 1 cup tea + 1 tbsp cottage cheese

- 3 weet-bix biscuits + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + Equal

Lunch (12 noon):
- had lunch at a taiwan porridge place, ordered a bowl of rice (of which i had only half) + taugua + salted vegetable + peanuts & ikan bilis fried + some leafy green veg + a glass of homemade barley

Snack (4pm):
- homemade pizza (inspired by lude's) using 1 wholemeal wrap as base + a bit of bolognese sauce spread on it + 3 slices krafts singles light + ~140g chicken breast shredded + a bit of onion
- a slice of guava

Dinner (7pm):
- 1 chunk sweet potato (~30g) + 1 tbsp white & brown rice
- half a broiled pomfret (~80g) w/ onions + ~80g chicken breast + a pile of cabbage

Snack (9:45pm):
- my sister brought home sashimi so i had 3 slices salmon, 3 slices yellowfin, 3 slices swordfish mmmm
- herbal jelly

Activity:
- washed a car and did some housework in the morning
- 45 mins elliptical at the gym (HR 160-180, mainly btwn 170 and 180)

Gym Workout

Bench Press
3 x 11 @ 70 (+1 rep)

Deadlifts
8/6/6 @ 10
one of the trainers commented my back was still a little rounded. grrRRRrrrrrr what am i doing wrong?!?!

Flys
12/10/7 @ 6
pfffbbbtttt even worse than last week. time to switch to dbs. didn't switch this week because i wanted to see how it'd go after changing the exercise order.

Lat Pulldown
7/7/6 @ 6 (+1 weight)

Seated Rows
3 x 10 @ 5
no change... my back was wasted after doing deadlifts and lat pulldowns.

Modular Assisted Dips
3 x 10 @ 10 (+2 reps)
i totally misread the weights at the machine... i was using "10" instead of "110". did an extra rep for this exercise, all 3 sets. don't know why lol. i think i misread my notebook too.

Modular Assisted Chin-ups
3 x 9 @ 13 (+1 rep)
again... should be "13" instead of "130".

Overall Notes:
Diet was ok I think. Probably should have boiled the chicken breast while I was having breakfast so that I'd get more protein during the first half of the day. Lifting was not very good today because I was rushing through it so that I'd have time left to go on the elliptical, which meant much shorter rests between sets.

Went on the elliptical for 45 mins afterwards, with 15s feet rest in every 15 mins. HR was high up and seemed kinda difficult to lower. Was pooped after that. Just want to kick back and have some Diet Coke now :P

I feel like eating potato chips but there aren't any non-fat or very low-fat ones in the supermarket. Anyone have alternatives?

faus
08-16-2004, 08:46 AM
You may not have felt good about your workout because you felt rushed, but it still looked pretty good overall.
What kind of deadlifts were these? Conventional, sumo, straight leg, or Romanian? I'm assuming conventional. If your back was a little rounded at the initial pull, make sure the bar is right against your legs, practically scraping them all the way up.

hm talking about this, i can't think of any food westerners eat that asians dislike.....
I think you're right, although being a "coconut" myself, I like more western foods than some of the more traditional Asian foods. My grandmother, however, does not like freshwater fish because they are "slimy," that is, she only likes fish with huge scales.

Coke
08-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Good upper body session, those straight sets are nice...doing the elliptical for 45 minutes makes you hardcore - ;)

Y2A
08-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Baby, Ill eat your banana scramble-cakes anytime ;)

Focused70
08-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Look at all the red!!!!

Nice job, dissipate. :)

Stash

chops
08-16-2004, 11:08 AM
I feel like eating potato chips but there aren't any non-fat or very low-fat ones in the supermarket. Anyone have alternatives?

pretzels
reduced fat cheesenips
soy crisps
rice cakes (tamari flavor is good)
lowfat popcorn
baked veggie or potato sticks (don't know name but i've seen at the asian stores)

if you're rounding your back, check to make sure your chin isn't tucked in and your butt should be sticking out

don't know what dit da jow is. i still am working on my tiger balm pot. that stuff lasts forever.

Shane
08-16-2004, 01:16 PM
There are different kinds of dit da jow. I'll dig one up out of my notes and post it in here later today. I'll save that recipe for the zheng gu shui though. Thanks. :)

For the deadlifts, make sure to keep your shoulders back and look up. Keep the bar close to your legs for the duration of the lift. That should help keep your back from rounding. Can you describe your form how you're doing them now?

Alke
08-16-2004, 02:07 PM
awesome work, weights look good!

all the right exercises too!, dont know about the back,

my back is sorta rounded as well just from bad posture so not much I can do about it when deadlifting, although I do seem to be improving my posture from doing deads and stuff with as good as form as I can.

me being so tall I am used to hunching over all the time even though I know it is bad for me.....

JustinF
08-18-2004, 02:47 AM
Nice session the other day!

TheGimp
08-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Some good work on the elliptical there.

How was the homemade pizza? :)

Full fat potato chips aren't too bad; anything's okay in moderation. If you could be satisfied with just a small serving then I'd say go for it, but if it would mean you start pigging out it's probably best to avoid it! Some good suggestions from chops there too :thumbup:

dissipate
08-18-2004, 08:26 AM
faus: :hello: welcome to my journal! hehe thanks for reassuring me :) yeah i think i was attempting conventional deadlifts.

faus, chops, shane, alke: thanks for the tips! when i do the deadlifts, my chin is out and i'm looking at the mirror, the bar is always against my legs, not sure if my shoulders are back enough and my butt is sticking out enough. i do them with my legs about shoulder-width apart and hands slightly more than shoulder-width apart.

i kind of tilt sideways while doing them i think, my right shoulder a bit lower than my left, because i have scoliosis. it affected my calf raises initially because one side was taking more weight than the other and i was doing the raises unevenly, but now i try to stand as straight as possible while doing them. not sure if this problem affects my deadlifts.

faus: freshwater fish like freshwater seabass? i'd agree that it has a slimy muddy taste.. i don't like myself. the rest taste fine though.

I think you're right, although being a "coconut" myself, I like more western foods than some of the more traditional Asian foods.
eh? what's your race?

cocoa: thanks!! hardcore - lol.

y2a: hahahaha!! i guess i'll airmail one to you. might be mouldy by the time it reaches :P

stash: :) thanks!

chops: aahh thanks for the list of alternatives! tiger balm pot???

There are different kinds of dit da jow
sounds profound heh. what are the different kinds and what are they each used for?

alke: thanks!! :) i think i took like 2 days to come up with a list at the beginning because i was using tom venuto's top 5 list and checking "strength training anatomy" at the same time to make sure i was covering as many muscles in the muscle groups as possible.

my back is sorta rounded as well just from bad posture so not much I can do about it when deadlifting, although I do seem to be improving my posture from doing deads and stuff with as good as form as I can.
mmm good job improving your posture and keeping a close eye on your form while doing the deadlifts. i'll try to do this too when i do them.

justin: thanks!!

Yesterday:

Breakfast - 2 cups tea + 1/2 cup rolled oats w/ cinnamon & Equal + 1 tbsp cottage cheese + ~40g leftover chicken breast

Lunch - was outside for lunch and we ate at this cheapo western place. it's like a poor man's western, serves cheaper albeit not-authentic western dishes. i had this thing called a turkey fillet set with mushroom soup and a slice of greasy buttery french bread for starters, roasted turkey fillet with what looked like a sea of oily gravy and thousand island dressing (?!) and boiled cabbage/corn/peas/carrots on the side and a hashbrown, a slice of honeydew for dessert and a cup of tea. i had only the turkey fillet (i think it was turkey breast) with all the condiments scraped off, the boiled veg, the slice of honeydew and the cup of tea. ew. i'll never eat there again.

Snack 1 - 2 weet-bix biscuits + 1/3 cup lowfat milk + Equal

Snack 2 - a handful of almonds and walnuts + a can of light tuna in water + diet coke

Dinner - chicken salad of ~105g chicken breast + lettuce + a tomato + a slice of multigrain bread

Snack 3 - almond biscuits (argh!)

Today

1800 cals
20% fats = 360 cals/40g

Breakfast (9am):
- 1 cup tea + 1/2 cup great grains crunchy pecan + 1/2 cup lowfat milk

Snack (11 am):
- french toast sorta attempt -> 1 egg and 2 egg whites + 1/3 cup milk + 2 slices multigrain bread w/ sugar-free maple syrup
- 3 strips turkey bacon + a cup of tea
it came out weird.. i don't remember french toast looking and tasting like that... hmmm. i used kitchen paper towels to soak up as much oil and grease from the turkey bacon as possible, and cut out all the fat, so i think i made it as healthy as possible. yay for the sugar-free maple syrup! i found it at a supermarket yesterday in the health food section!! it's quite expensive.. almost $10. i could get a bottle of honey that size for $4-$6.

Lunch (1pm):
- half a wholemeal wrap + ~55g chicken breast

Snack (4pm):
- 1 cup Yoplait's 99.something% Berry Bliss fat free yogurt
- ~55g chicken breast
i expected more pieces of fruit inside in the yogurt :/

Dinner (7pm):
- a bowl of salad -> plain lettuce + a tomato
- spaghetti bolognese of ~1/1/2 cups wholewheat spagetti + ~150g weigh****cher's mince + Leggo's bolognese sauce with fresh tomatoes added in

Activity:
- 45 mins elliptical at the gym

Gym Workout

Squats
3 x 9 @ 75 (+5 weight)

3 x 9 @ 75 (+5 weight)

Hack Squats
3 x 9 @ 45 (+5 weight)

Standing Calf Raises
2 x 9 @ 55 (+5 weight)
2 sets each for lateral and medial heads

Lying Leg Curls
3 x 9 @ 50 (+1 rep)

Overall Notes:
Diet seemed good. I might have overshot on fat and protein, but I'm still not there yet for carbs and will probably eat something after I post this. I've been chewing on stuff at night the past few days from frustration from not feeling sleepy and tired enough to fall asleep. Yeah.. I tend to eat when I get frustrated, especially at night. Trying to think of food that is high in carbs and low in protein and fat right now.

I tried running yesterday (Tuesday) but my right shin was still uncomfortable so I've decided to stop running for about a week.

Workout was good today I think. I usually do 8 reps when I move up in weight but I felt like I had strength to do 9. 2 sets for each head for calf raises instead of last week's calf raises cos I don't want to toast my calves. Cardio on the Elliptical was good. I loosened my shoes even more this time, and took 30s break every 15 minutes (3 breaks). My feet only got majorly numb during the last 15 minutes.

I've been watching the Olympics and am so proud of China's 10m diving girls!!!!!!! Something that slim, small-built Asians can excel in! Go China!!!! When TKD begins I'll probably try to tape record every match and watch slowly heh.

dissipate
08-18-2004, 08:28 AM
thanks gimpy! the homemade pizza was good!!! especially since the WM wrap is thin, so i get real thin and crispy crusts.

Full fat potato chips aren't too bad; anything's okay in moderation. If you could be satisfied with just a small serving then I'd say go for it, but if it would mean you start pigging out it's probably best to avoid it! Some good suggestions from chops there too
i'm the pigging out type hahahahaha :p

Coke
08-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Them pr's are always nice to have - :thumbup:

Spartan936
08-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Heh heh. Cheapo western place. The kind where all the old people gather?

You're so precise in everything, nice work.

chops
08-18-2004, 01:16 PM
$10 USD for sugar free syrup? i 've tried making french toast like that too. i think the ww bread just doesn't go. 45 mins of cardio daily- you must have really good endurance

Shane
08-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Good progress on the leg day diss. :thumbup:

JustinF
08-19-2004, 04:19 AM
Great work on all those PR's! :thumbup:

Y2A
08-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Yay leg day :D Man I cant wait to get my hands on that fed-ex'd pancake-mess :drooling:

Focused70
08-19-2004, 11:33 AM
PRs are teh shazbam all right. Go dissipate! heheh.

Stash

dissipate
08-19-2004, 10:46 PM
cocoa, justin, shane, stash: thanks! um... what are PR's? lol

spartan: the kind where all the people who want to get cheap somewhat-like-western food gather :P i see working people there mostly.

chops: $10 my currency which is maybe... $7 or $8 USD? yeah.. i don't think i'm going to try french toast with that kind of bread again lol. good endurance - tv and music help a lot hehe. time passes much faster without me realising it. keeping a high heart rate on the elliptical also seems much easier than trying to do the same on the treadmill.

y2a: lol!

Yesterday -

Breakfast: 2 weet-bix biscuits + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + Equal + 1 cup tea + ~52g chicken breast

Lunch: yong tau fu soup - 2 stalks of bak choy + a bundle of spinach + assortment of tauhu, taupok, dried beancurd sticks (maybe ~250g beancurd w/o noodles/carbs)

Snack: 1/2 cup rolled oats w/ cinnamon & Equal + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + 1 can light tuna in water

Dinner: ~150g chicken breast + 1/2 cup white & brown rice + pile of green leafy veg

Snack: 1 char siew pau + a bit of pineapple + a plum (tried not to eat but got hungry after attending a wake and my mom had just bought steaming fresh char siew paus home)

Shane
08-19-2004, 11:57 PM
PR's = personal records. As in more weight lifted. ;)

What's char siew pau?

dissipate
08-20-2004, 07:20 AM
shane: ohhhhh. lol. char siew pau is this um... how do i describe it... white cake-pastry sort of thing with marinated char siew (BBQ pork) inside. my mom got some from the best pau shop around and it claims to use lean pork. attached is a pic.

Y2A
08-20-2004, 07:27 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, meat pastry thing... so much talk of food, so hungry :drooling:

dissipate
08-20-2004, 07:53 AM
Today

Weight: a little over 57kg

- 1 cup tea + 2.5 weet-bix biscuits + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + Equal + ~55g chicken breast

Lunch (1pm):
- 1 slice multigrain bread + 1 tbsp natty PB w/ a bit of salt + ~55g chicken breast

Snack (4pm):
- tauhui (~200g soft tofu w/o sugar water)

Snack (5pm):
- 1 can light tuna in water + 1 char siew pau

Dinner (7pm):
- 2 chunks sweet potato + 1 tbsp brown rice
- almost a whole steamed red snapper + a bit of leftover chicken + pile of leafy green veg
- 2 plums

Snack (9:30pm):
- herbal jelly + a handful of pinenuts

Activity:
- 45 mins elliptical at the gym (HR 160-180)

Gym Workout

Military Press
5/11/11 @ 40/30/30 (+1 rep on last 2 sets)
!!!!!!!!! i _hate_ it when people use weights and don't put them back in their proper places. the 30s barbell was nowhere in sight and it felt weird using the EZ curl bar for military presses so i resorted to using the 40s barbell. could hear my arms and wrist cracking everytime i lifted it. then as i was taking a rest, i saw the 30s bb on the floor a few metres away, lying hidden beneath the rack with the light silver weights.

and like half the time when i need to use the smith rack, i have to go yank off 50lb plates from the bar first. #%(@)(!*#%)(!*#

Modular Curls
3 x 6 @ 2.5 (+ 1 rep)
i was thinking of adding in another bicep exercise because i don't feel my biceps getting pumped enough...

Tricep Pushdown
3 x 6 @ 5 (+1 reps)

6/6/12 @ 20/20/17.5 (+1 rep on 1st 2 sets)
moved back to 17.5 because my form wasn't good with the 20s. not exactly sure what to do next

Tricep Extension
3 x 7 @ 55 (+1 rep)
felt easy today

Overall Notes:
Woke up late today (oops). Workout was alright. I didn't feel like I was making myself work hard enough again.. I mean..... I don't feel the same as Alke does in his descriptions of his workouts in his journal. About the biceps, I'm not sure yet whether to add in another exercise. My legs were feeling tired when I started the Elliptical, a bit sore still from Wednesday. I almost gave up after 15 minutes but I was like.. I must do at least 30 minutes today. Then after 30 minutes I was like..... bah just do 15 minutes more! So I did.

Was watching judo (olympics) on TV while I was on the Elliptical and it's kinda funny cos it's slow and a little like wrestling? It's not really like kick punch kick elbow knee KO!

Can't wait till I get back to running again. I think I'll start this Sunday cos it's a high day.

chops
08-20-2004, 09:28 AM
red on everything :thumbup: i agree - HUGE IRK when ppl don't unload plates. it's not easy for me to get 4 plates off from each side dammit! i feel like it steals some energy away from my workout. did you give up on cottage cheese :)

Shane
08-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Military Press
5/11/11 @ 40/30/30 (+1 rep on last 2 sets)
!!!!!!!!! i _hate_ it when people use weights and don't put them back in their proper places. the 30s barbell was nowhere in sight and it felt weird using the EZ curl bar for military presses so i resorted to using the 40s barbell. could hear my arms and wrist cracking everytime i lifted it. then as i was taking a rest, i saw the 30s bb on the floor a few metres away, lying hidden beneath the rack with the light silver weights.

and like half the time when i need to use the smith rack, i have to go yank off 50lb plates from the bar first. #%(@)(!*#%)(!*#

This pisses me off too. You don't know if someone is still using the equipment and just went to get a drink of water or what. Also, I've trained some older women who can't lift 45 pound plates. So when some ass leaves 45 pound plates on the Hammer Strength machine and I'm not with them they have to either skip the exercise or ask someone else to take the plates off for them. Douchebags.

TheGimp
08-20-2004, 03:35 PM
One other reason I'm glad I workout at home :)

Nice progress in your latest session.

dissipate
08-21-2004, 07:22 AM
i feel like it steals some energy away from my workout.
same here. i'm like pumped up, ready to squat or bench something heavy... and then i've gotta remove those big heavy plates first. heh. cottage cheese - mmm no :P i usually eat it i if i need some quick protein.. like before i do cardio in the morning or any other activity, or if i'm short on protein at night.

shane: if there are weights loaded, i usually wait for a minute to see if anyone's coming back or watching the machine. so far... none. ugh that sucks. poor older women. :/

gimp: hehe. thanks!

Today

Weight: a little under 57kg

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

Lunch (12 noon):
- chicken salad of ~210g chicken breast + a few iceberg lettuce leaves + 1 tomato w/ black pepper and olive oil

Snack (2:30 pm):
- a handful of almonds and walnuts
- 1 char siew pau

- ~200g tauhui

Dinner (7pm):
- 2 chunks sweet potato + 1 tbsp brown rice + some green leafy veg + some mackeral + some chicken

not yet

Activity:
none

Notes:
My mother has finally switched to brown rice yay! It tastes about the same to me actually. Dinner was a bit yuk because it was rushed as I had to go with my sister to the doc cos she's sick with flu and having high fever, and because the chicken and fish my mom cooked tasted weird lol so I didn't eat much. I'm like short on protein now I think............ might have to eat a can of tuna *sigh*.

Situation with being jobless is getting more stressful as my parents are putting more and more pressure on me. My friends in the US seem to be studying forever and I wish I could afford to do that too. I'm thinking of studying again and I've narrowed the list down to two areas - theology and psychology - and whether I can study them depends on a lot of stuff and I'm not sure which to choose either. So. Blah.

TheGimp
08-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Good work switching to brown rice, wholegrains are far superior.

Can you afford to keep studying? Personally I have no idea what I want to do with my life after I leave university, although the idea of being a student for longer by doing a phd appeals :)

dissipate
08-22-2004, 08:40 AM
gimpy:

Can you afford to keep studying?
independantly, no way. it's very very very expensive unless by some miracle i get a scholarship that covers most of my expenses. scholarships here are tough with a capital t. only the top of the top... creme de la creme..... get them. and i think i'm at the bottom lol! would need the parents to pay for it, but at the same time i really want to be financially independent and move out already.

i'm tempted to pack my bags, spend some money on an air ticket to a faraway place like canada, spend the remaining money on room rent and find a job there.

Personally I have no idea what I want to do with my life after I leave university, although the idea of being a student for longer by doing a phd appeals
lol yeah!

Today

1800 cals
20% fats = 360 cals/40g

Breakfast (11 am):

- seafood hor fun w/ extra xiao bai cai and some rojak

Snack (4pm):
- 3 slices turkey bacon (used paper to soak up the grease, cut out most of the fat)
- pancakes that resembled scrambed eggs (2 whole eggs, some lowfat milk, pancake mix) w/ sugar-free maple syrup (aka fake maple syrup for diabetics)
- cup of tea

Snack (5pm):
- ~110g chicken breast

Dinner (6:30pm):
- hawker buffet - had a bit of mee goreng, asam fish, tauhu, brinjal, saya lodeh, roti prata, siew mai, fruits

- a plum and an orange

Activity:
- 40 mins treadmill (3.5min jog 1.5min walk intervals, lvl3 incline)

Notes:
Mealtimes seemed cramped today.. or maybe it's just me feeling crappy. I've been sneezing and blowing my nose the whole day. Germy house. I hope I don't get sick because I want to go to the gym and not have to stay in bed the whole day feeling weak and wobbly and staring at the ceiling. Haven't been sleeping well the whole week so that adds to the crappy feeling. Am going to rest now.

chops
08-22-2004, 09:34 AM
that's pretty cool that your family switched to brown rice for you. my family doesn't like it all. don't let the job stuff stress you out too much. it always works out in the end, just gotta roll with the punches a little. easy to say, hard to follow, but true!

JustinF
08-23-2004, 06:24 AM
:withstupi on both accounts. Good luck!

Y2A
08-23-2004, 07:25 AM
School sucks, but then again work sucks too :D Pick your poison ;) Move to Canada? That isnt even a real country. Its like a wannabe U.S., but worse. "Blame Canada."

dissipate
08-26-2004, 01:55 AM
thanks chops and justin :)

y2a: heh. yeah canada... i like the climate and gorgeous scenary there. i like their english too.

ok... won't have anything to write in here for awhile with regards to nutrition and lifting. my temperature started getting higher on monday so i went to see a doc, and got medicine for cough, the runny/stuffed nose, antibiotics and something stronger than pandadol. food is tasteless but i have no appetite anyway. stomach hurts after eating. i was thinking i might be able to go to the gym next week but i just developed cold sore and hsv1 blisters which are making my head hurt and giving me icepick pains and my throat hurts so... yeah it's like everyone's attacking at once. don't think i'll be working out anytime soon....

TheGimp
08-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Hope you get well soon :(

Focused70
08-26-2004, 09:16 AM
*FedExes some chicken soup to dissipate*

take care, dis.

Stash

ryuage
08-26-2004, 04:17 PM
hope you get better

Y2A
08-26-2004, 08:24 PM
awwwwwwwwwww :( get well!!

JustinF
08-30-2004, 05:03 AM
Hope you're feeling better. :)

dissipate
08-30-2004, 07:32 AM
gimp, stash, ryuage, y2a, justin: thanks for your concern guys :) my body suddenly got better by a whole lot during the weekend. the cold sore blisters died and is healing. i applied acyclovir to the hsv1 blisters and they went down quite fast without even maturing. was feeling fine yesterday already so i decided to start again today. :clap:

Today

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

- 1 cup tea + 3 tbsp lowfat cottage cheese

Breakfast (11am):
- 1/2 cut rolled oats + 1/2 cup lowfat milk w/ cinnamon & Equal

Lunch (12 noon):
- yong tau fu (about a block of different kinds of tofu with 3 stalks of bak choy in soup)

Snack (2pm):
- ~25g chicken breast

Snack (5pm):
- ~100g chicken breast
- 1/4 cup oats + 1/4 cup lowfat milk w/ Equal

Dinner (7pm):
- ~100g sweet potato + a pile of dou miao
- roast duck from a famous stall
oh dear the duck was so good that i ate a whole lot :redface:

Snack (9pm):
my sis brought home this thing called "seafood platter" for my lunch tomorrow and it has rice, fries, grilled squid, prawns and some fish. ate the prawns first cos they'd taste crappy tomorrow.[i]
- 5 prawns
- herbal jelly

Activity:
- 20 minutes treadmill in the morning (non-stop, lvl3 incline)
- 40 mins elliptical after lifting (HR mostly 170-180)

Gym Workout

Bench Press
3 x 8 @ 75 (+5 weight)

Deadlifts
3 x 8 @ bar (- weight)
[i]just practiced them trying to keep my back straight and in proper form without any weights

Flys
8/4/3 @ 6/8/8
after 6 seeming easier, i decided to try 8 again. managed to do a few but nothing great. i saw someone else doing cable flys in another place in the gym and i never thought of using those machines to do flys. will do them there next time, and should be able to raise the weight by 0.5.

Lat Pulldown
3 x 8 @ 6 (+1 weight)

Seated Rows(+1 weight)
3 x 5 @ 6
my back was tired already after lat pulldowns. i gotta do some rearrangement again so that i don't work on back twice in a row.

Dips
3 x 11 @ 10 (+1 rep)
was dying on last set of dips

Chin-ups
3 x 10 @ 13 (+1 weight)

Overall Notes:
I probably overshot 1400 cals but am not too worried cos of the 60mins cardio today. In the morning I decided I should start jogging non-stop from today so 20mins or more this week depending on how I feel then I'll slowly increase the time. Felt good at the gym so I upped weights on some exercises. Feels good to be back!!

ryuage
08-30-2004, 08:01 AM
awesome, took a break and came back even stronger!

Focused70
08-30-2004, 09:53 AM
A sea of red is what I like to see. Keep up teh good work!!!

Stash

Coke
08-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Really glad to see you are feeling better...nice workout session.

iLUDEd
08-30-2004, 11:11 AM
glad to see your better, how did the feet pull up after 40min on the elliptical?

TheGimp
08-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Way to come back strong :thumbup:

Alke
08-30-2004, 04:50 PM
I did not know you were not feeling well...your better now?

there was something going around my school and I upped my vit C and herbal teas (I drink red raspberry zinger a lot) to keep the baddies at bay.....

awesome session! dips are hard, keep them up they are the best thing for triceps I think, wish I could do them myself but I got a pinched nerve or something in my right hand that wont let me grip the bars for those....

if you have exercises close together on body pars, try cycling the intensities on different exercises....ie: lighten the weight and do 10-12 reps or make the weight heavier and do 8-10 reps. This way you dont use the same intensity for all your exercises so you recover better and are stronger sometimes than others, or get a better pump...depending on the rep range.

JustinF
08-31-2004, 03:05 AM
That's the way to get back into it! Great session!

dissipate
08-31-2004, 08:42 AM
ryuage, stash, cocoa, ludey, gimpy, alke, justin: thanks :)))

glad to see your better, how did the feet pull up after 40min on the elliptical?
i loosen my shoelaces a lot before going on the elliptical and there's space for my toes to wiggle around, which i do when i feel the numbness coming.... also lift my feet every stride, right before i use the foot to press down. every 15 minutes i take a 30s - 1 min break and do ankle rotations while drinking water so that the blood goes back to my feet, then i go back on again. helps a lot. my feet don't get severely numb anymore. just a little.

alke: yup! feeling normal now! did taking vit C and drinking herbal teas keep you totally sick-free? my mom bought some multivitamins and vit C for me last week and i've been taking them everyday since.

but I got a pinched nerve or something in my right hand that wont let me grip the bars for those....
ugh. is it serious? how long has it been like that?

thanks for the tip on cycling the intensities! i'll try that out next session!

Today

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

Mini Breakfast (10am):

Breakfast (11am):
- 1/2 cup rolled oats + 1/2 cup lowfat milk + cinnamon & Equal

- the seafood platter that my sis brought home yesterday: calamari, a portion of grilled fish, fries and rice (ate all the fries and had just a bit of rice)

Snack (4pm):
- ~130g chicken breast + 1 diet coke

Dinner (6:30pm):
- stirfried green leafy veg + chicken breast
- some pork + green bean omelette

Snack (10pm):
- leftover stirfried veg + chicken breast
- 1 slice guava

Activity:
- 15 mins HIIT treadmill

Notes:
After running for 15 mins, I was just too tired and hot to continue. It gets very hot by 10am so another reason for me to not be such a pig and wake up earlier. Diet was alright I think. Didn't eat any carbs after lunch because I probably completed my carb allowance during lunch.

Y2A
08-31-2004, 09:10 AM
Glad to see you back in action, nice sessions :)

Alke
08-31-2004, 07:02 PM
yuhm....seafood platter sounds great.

my right hand got messed up when I tried to do BMX tricks I had no right to be doing LOL and on cement to boot. I flipped over the handle bars and landed on my right hand in a wild one hand stand thing that my friends said looked really cool but hurt a lot.

my right hand has never felt the same, could be bone chip or something, not sure, but cant take pressure at certain angles. Luckily nothing else is hindered......

ryuage
09-01-2004, 12:05 PM
everything looking good diss, seafood = yummy

dissipate
09-02-2004, 08:00 AM
y2a: :)

alke, ryuage: yes it was yummy!!!!!

alke: ow!! i can imagine the amount of pressure on that hand when you landed. have a good rest. the year before last i was trying to do au batidos in my carpeted apartment on the left arm. it couldn't take the weight/angle when i lifted my body off the ground and i fell. my arm hurt a whole lot! for more than a year it was sore when i did circles with it... but now when i do it, it doesn't hurt so i guess it's gone.

Yesterday -

Mini Breakfast: 1 cup tea + 3 tbsp cottage cheese

Breakfast: 1/2 cup crunchy pecan + 1/2 cup lowfat milk

Lunch: 1 can tuna + 1 slice multi-grain bread w/ 1 tbsp natty PB on top

Snack: pho ga

Snack: homemade pizza w/ extra cheese (mmm) of 1 wholemeal wrap + 4 slices kraft extra light singles

Dinner: shepherd's pie of 150g ground beef + diced onions + corn + mashed potatoes

Snack: Grapes + multigrain croutons

Activity: 20mins treadmill (more like 15mins jogging, 5mins walking), lifting in the afternoon, 30mins elliptical

Gym Workout

Squats
3 x 10 @ 75 (+1 rep)

3 x 10 @ 75 (+1 rep)

Hack Squats
3 x 10 @ 45 (+1 rep)

Standing Calf Raises
4 x 10 @ 55 (+1 rep)
2 sets each for lateral and medial heads

Lying Leg Curls
3 x 10 @ 50 (+1 weight)

Overall Notes:
Just couldn't do the 20 mins non-stop jogging. Got tired after 10 minutes. It was a real struggle at the gym too. Was struggling throughout. During the 2nd break from the Elliptical, my right foot had cramps and wouldn't stop cramping up so after sitting and bending my foot backwards for like 10 minutes, I decided not to continue for the remaining 10 minutes.

Not sure if I'm pushing myself too hard after 1 week of being sick.

But I'm paying the price for the extra weight on Monday lol. My chest and right thigh are very sore.

Dinner was a lot. I was having problems shoving it down my throat, plus I was in a hurry because I wanted to attend a talk by a bishop from Africa with my mother so it was SHOVE SHOVE SHOVE lol.

Today

1400 cals
25% fats = 350 cals/39g

Lunch (1:15pm):
- chicken salad of ~182g chicken breast + 4 large lettuce leaves + 1 tomato + a bit of thousand island light + a couple of grapes + multigrain croutons (maybe ~1 slice bread + 1/2-1 tbsp olive oil)

Snack (4pm):
- ~200g tauhui (drained out the sugary water)

Dinner (7pm):
- 1 tbsp brown rice + ~150g stirfried chicken breast + pile of green leafy veg and soup

Snack (9pm):
- a couple of hazelnut biscuits my cousin sent from germany that i couldn't resist..... she's very health-conscious so they're hardly sweet

Activity:
none (rest day)

Notes:
Thighs, hams, calves sore so running tomorrow was a worry until someone called and asked me to go down for a job aptitude test tomorrow morning at 9am. I've got a programming test via email next Tuesday at 7am too. *shudder* Dropped down 1/8 a remeron tablet to 1/2 tab at night with a valerian pill.