PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to eat and hang out with friends???

T_Chapman
06-22-2004, 03:52 PM
im still new to lifting so i have no idea how you guys (the veterans) do this. i stopped hanging out too much because of my schedule and lifting but now i want to get back. so last week i was hanging out with my friends in the weekend and my body was deprived of protein. instead of feeding myself every 3 hours i ate every 5 hours and it was at a restaurant. the whole time i was with them i didnt have that much fun because i knew my body was becoming smaller.

im the type of person that goes out of my house on the weekends and stays out for 12+ hours. i found out the majority of serious lifters go "out" very rarely. when they meet up with friends they just grab a bowl of popcorn and watch football or something lol. i know a lot of you guys here are probably like that but i hope some of you are at least like me and know what im talking about.

i thought of protein bars but theyre so expensive and is it okay to be eating whey for protein the whole day? i dont think so huh?? help me plz.

Alex.V
06-22-2004, 03:56 PM
so last week i was hanging out with my friends in the weekend and my body was deprived of protein. instead of feeding myself every 3 hours i ate every 5 hours and it was at a restaurant. the whole time i was with them i didnt have that much fun because i knew my body was becoming smaller.

It wasn't deprived of protein, and it wasn't getting smaller. Don't worry so much about the hype, man... even a quick snack during the day should stop catabolism. You're not going to lose all your gains because a meal is a few hours late.. you're body's smarter than that.

You can be a serious lifter and still have fun... so you take a few steps back when you're not eating. guess what? When you stuff yourself after that period, your body will make up for lost time.

So... chill. :)

T_Chapman
06-22-2004, 04:01 PM
thnx for the advice but i have a question. the frustrating thing about protein is that you cant take the daily requirement all in one sitting. you have to take it little by little. that day i took about 50 grams less of protein than i usually do. its not like i could take in 80 grams when i come home. most of it will be converted to fat.

drew
06-22-2004, 04:15 PM
If I'm going out I try to plan ahead, eat more protein in your earlier meals to compensate and just try to meet your daily cals. Who says you can't go to a restaurant and order a 16 oz steak? That's what I do. :D

beachmuscles
06-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Man i am just like you im the big guy of my friends, none of them really care about eating right or working out. Usually when I'm out ill try to bring a protein bar with me and usually stop at wendy's drive thru and pick up like 2 grilled chicken sandwichs. But I know what you mean I have the same thing go out for like 7-8 hr's and only eat 1 time it happened to me 50x and guess what...Im still the same size! You really can't worry about it all the time nobody eats perfectly every 3 hrs every single day, and if they do there life must be pretty lame. (no offense to anyone here)

geoffgarcia
06-22-2004, 05:00 PM
its not like i could take in 80 grams when i come home. most of it will be converted to fat.says who?

kozen
06-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Messing up one day out of the week isnt going to make enough impact to destroy your whole physique. Rome wasnt built in a day, and neither is your body.

Songsangnim
06-22-2004, 06:01 PM
thnx for the advice but i have a question. the frustrating thing about protein is that you cant take the daily requirement all in one sitting. you have to take it little by little. that day i took about 50 grams less of protein than i usually do. its not like i could take in 80 grams when i come home. most of it will be converted to fat.

No, excess protein can not be stored in the body. Your body uses what it can and excretes the rest via urine.

reloaded
06-22-2004, 06:49 PM
If I'm going out I try to plan ahead, eat more protein in your earlier meals to compensate and just try to meet your daily cals. Who says you can't go to a restaurant and order a 16 oz steak? That's what I do. :D
Me too :).

T_Chapman
06-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Messing up one day out of the week isnt going to make enough impact to destroy your whole physique. Rome wasnt built in a day, and neither is your body.

but it could be destroyed in one day lol.

T_Chapman
06-22-2004, 10:56 PM
says who?

everyone! tell me what really happens then!

T_Chapman
06-22-2004, 11:00 PM
No, excess protein can not be stored in the body. Your body uses what it can and excretes the rest via urine.

then why do people always tell me excess of anything will become fat??? they always say "excess carbs will become fat. even excess of protein will become fat."

Shao-LiN
06-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Excess calories, be it from carbs, fat, or protein, can be stored as fat. You need to think big picture instead of the one hour of your life you weren't able to eat those 30g of protein.

rapidshoter
06-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Carry a box with Sandwiches or something ..... be creative man.

Paul Stagg
06-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Quit worrying about the details.

Get your diet down (but don't worry if you miss a meal), get in the gym and add weight to the bar.

You'll be fine.

geoffgarcia
06-23-2004, 08:38 AM
tell me what really happens then!
shao-lin just told you...

Songsangnim
06-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Excess calories, be it from carbs, fat, or protein, can be stored as fat. You need to think big picture instead of the one hour of your life you weren't able to eat those 30g of protein.

Edit: Misread your post

Excess protein itself is not stored in the body. It can also be converted to carbohydrates as well as fat.

T_Chapman
06-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Edit: Misread your post

Excess protein itself is not stored in the body. It can also be converted to carbohydrates as well as fat.

is it me or did we just contradict ourselves. first someone tells me excess protein doesnt become fat and now extremeanabolic says it could be converted to fat... which was precisely my point in the beginning. your body cant absorb 80 grams of protein in one sitting without 40 of it getting stored as fat unless you have a lot of muscles which is strictly not the case here.

BigMatt
06-24-2004, 12:58 AM
In My car backseat I have a Cooler with Different Shakes in bottles and some tuna cans.

One is 7RawEgg, 1 Whey Protein... With some tuna can with a can opener... It take like 3 minute to sip down...

edge-man
06-24-2004, 08:24 AM
I won't lose any sleep if I miss my target protein intake for a day with mates. When I get home I will have a normal meal, wont try to make up for my "lost" 30g because next time you look in the mirror you aint gonna see a gap in your pecs where that extra tuna would have gone. Fats from healthy food sources or from conversions taken place in your body (lets face it - you're not going to see it covering your abs the next morning) are needed in your body in moderation.

Augury
06-24-2004, 10:35 AM
is it me or did we just contradict ourselves. first someone tells me excess protein doesnt become fat and now extremeanabolic says it could be converted to fat... which was precisely my point in the beginning. your body cant absorb 80 grams of protein in one sitting without 40 of it getting stored as fat unless you have a lot of muscles which is strictly not the case here.

I think Extreme Anabolic accidentally misposted some info and then corrected it. He said excess protein can eventually be stored as fat after he corrected things. Geoff agrees too (im pretty sure) and so do I.

The path it takes is:
Eat a load of protein
Body digests it
Body shuttles it straight to muscles and cells that need to grow/repair
When its done with that it shuttles it to energy (glucose i think)
The glucose is used (along with carbs glucose) to replenish muscle glycogen
Once thats done it stores the rest of the glucose from protein as fat.
BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE WAY OVER CALORIES

The issue here of importance is that it seems you are on a bulk. So you are stimulating a lot of muscle growth and you are supposed to be eating more calories than you are using or you arent going to put on muscle mass. Eating a load of protein that dosnt all get used will simply go towards your total calorie targets for the day. It dont matter how you get to that target or what with provided its clean.

Take a bag with 2 chicken breasts in it out with you...or...
Put 4 scoops of protein powder in a 1.5 liter empty bottle and use it during the day...or....
Take a packed lunch...whatever works.

Aint no biggie of you plan a little ahead and it aint no biggie if you mess up in a day. Just work harder in the gym and eat more during the week.

Mademan118
06-24-2004, 10:55 AM
look this is what i do. Get one of this little gym bag from a store. ITs like a backpack type thing, real light, nike makes them. They are great for carryin **** around. Jus through in like 2 sandwhichs and whatever else you do. Thats what i do in school (which is even harder to do then with friends). I still do it when i go out. Btw im 16 so im constantly going out but if you are truly dedicated then you will do it. The only time i have a hard time eatting is at work, we arent allowed to bring in backpacks. So i stuff it in my pockets :) haha good luck man!

Shao-LiN
06-24-2004, 10:57 AM

You seem to buy into hearsay a lot. Don't buy into the "your body can only 'absorb' 40g of protein at a time" argument. There are no definitive studies proving such a biological mechanism is occuring. Your body can adapt and absorb what you throw at it. Will your body use all the protein towards muscle? Probably not. Any excess protein will most likely be used towards gluconeogenesis, and in an environment of excess calories, can lead to fat storage.

You're thinking too small, you have to look at the big picture. There are a lot of things going on in your body. Excess OVERALL CALORIES will lead to fat gain.