PDA

View Full Version : pottassium loss?

latinomasfino
06-22-2004, 04:11 PM
is it true that drinkin too much water can cause a loss of potassium within ur body?? is 1.5 gallons too much?

geoffgarcia
06-22-2004, 05:07 PM
"water poisoning results when too much water is ingested in too short a time without replenishing electrolytes, particularly sodium and potassium"

"Research has shown that a person can safely drink up to 10 liters of water a day"

Basically if u take to much water u'll dilute yourself thus lowering the concentration of above items...u can drink up to about 2.75 gallons per day if u really wanted, but it would be overkill

latinomasfino
06-22-2004, 05:22 PM
"water poisoning results when too much water is ingested in too short a time without replenishing electrolytes, particularly sodium and potassium"

"Research has shown that a person can safely drink up to 10 liters of water a day"

Basically if u take to much water u'll dilute yourself thus lowering the concentration of above items...u can drink up to about 2.75 gallons per day if u really wanted, but it would be overkill
damn 10 liters lol i only drink about 4 or 5 and i try to spread them out so im fine right???

geoffgarcia
06-22-2004, 05:28 PM
yep ur fine...
here is some more info if ur interested

How much water

water intoxication.
What happens is the sodium level in the blood reaches very low levels (because of dilution by excess water which can only be excreted in the urine, sweat or breath). This disturbs water balance in the brain, which can cause epileptic seizures and even death.

Research has shown that a person can safely drink up to 10 liters of water a day. An exception would be persons with kidney disease who are limited in the amount of water they can drink per day. Persons with bladder infections benefit from increasing their water intake.
http://www.dietitian.com/fluids.html

A large volume of water thins the blood and can actually make you "drunk." It washes water soluble nutrients (such as B vitamins) from the body. For a few persons with congestive heart disease or other conditions, serious edema or other conditions might occur. The kidneys have to work harder to remove the excess water from the body and that too must be taken into account. Someone drinking a lot of water would have to take vitamins and minerals to replace those purged from the body and would have to carefully avoid salt.
http://www.prisoners.com/cwaterd.html

"water intoxication." Is usually associated with long distance events like running and cycling, itís not an unusual problem.
For example, water intoxication was reported in 18% of marathon runners and in 29% of the finishers in a Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon in studies published recently in the Annals of Internal Medicine and in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise respectively.

What happens is that as the athlete consumes large amounts of water over the course of the event, blood plasma (the liquid part of blood) increases. As this takes place, the salt content of the blood is diluted. At the same time, the athlete is losing salt by sweating. Consequently, the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases over time to a point where the loss interferes with brain, heart, and muscle function.

The official name for this condition is hyponatremia. The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration (apathy, confusion, nausea, and fatigue), although some individuals show no symptoms at all. If untreated, hyponatremia can lead to coma and even death.

Enough, but not too much. The fluid requirement for the majority of endurance athletes, under most conditions, is about 8 to 16 ounces per hour. There is considerable variation here, of course, due to individual sweating rates, body size and weight, heat and humidity, and running speed, and other factors. Still, much more than this amount of fluid is, in most instances, probably physiologically excessive as well as uncomfortable, as liquid sloshes around in the gut during the activity.

It is now thought people should follow the dictates of thirst and not to exceed 1-1.5 quarts per hour
http://healthfactsandfears.com/featured_articles/jul2003/water072403.html

1 liter = 4.22675282 US cups
1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters
1 US cup = 8 US fluid ounces
1 US quart = 4 US cups
1 US gallon = 4 US quarts

SOO!!! it appears that
4-6 cups, or 32-48oz per hour is close to the limit

and 42 cups, 336oz, 2.65 gallons is around the safe daily intake limit, although its considered VERY high and beyond overkill

latinomasfino
06-22-2004, 08:42 PM
yep ur fine...
here is some more info if ur interested

How much water

1 liter = 4.22675282 US cups
1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters
1 US cup = 8 US fluid ounces
1 US quart = 4 US cups
1 US gallon = 4 US quarts

SOO!!! it appears that
4-6 cups, or 32-48oz per hour is close to the limit

and 42 cups, 336oz, 2.65 gallons is around the safe daily intake limit, although its considered VERY high and beyond overkill

yo i dindt know it was that seroius man i think thast y i been having problems like stomach achs and like sortof like not normal when i go to the bathroom sometiems kinda like diaherea..also like ionon not soo good gas sometimes....woudl this be bcuae i intake too much water soo quickly...i would drink like aroound 64 oz of water within an hour sometimes woudl that have led to this>????

geoffgarcia
06-22-2004, 09:12 PM
I wish I could tell ya...I have no idea....I just cut and paste answers, I really don't "know" this stuff...sowwy

easiest way to find out is to stop doing it and see if the symptoms go away....

latinomasfino
06-22-2004, 09:17 PM
I wish I could tell ya...I have no idea....I just cut and paste answers, I really don't "know" this stuff...sowwy

easiest way to find out is to stop doing it and see if the symptoms go away....

aight man thankx i was fine b4 only thing that changed was more water intake and i boutgh this protein powder on ebay optimmum nutriction teh only thing is that i got one b4 but it was with teh new label and everything this one has teh old design...could it be expired?? and thast y its giving me this

geoffgarcia
06-22-2004, 09:27 PM
I doubt it...
how long have you had the symptoms?

the good thing about protein formulas (anyone correct me if I'm wrong)
is that they don't expire quickly.
MRP's that contain powdered fats do have a shelf life of about 18 months (or so I'm told) before the fats go rancid, which is why most companies don't put any fat in them.

I mean a substantial amount of fat, like 5-10g per serving.

If the symptoms persist for a few days keep eliminating things from ur diet...or trying adding some psyllium, its possible ur not getting enough fiber in ur diet?

latinomasfino
06-22-2004, 09:31 PM
I doubt it...
how long have you had the symptoms?

the good thing about protein formulas (anyone correct me if I'm wrong)
is that they don't expire quickly.
MRP's that contain powdered fats do have a shelf life of about 18 months (or so I'm told) before the fats go rancid, which is why most companies don't put any fat in them.

I mean a substantial amount of fat, like 5-10g per serving.

If the symptoms persist for a few days keep eliminating things from ur diet...or trying adding some psyllium, its possible ur not getting enough fiber in ur diet?

wut is psyllium? umm i mean everymornig i make my protein pancakes LOL but has 70grams of protein and i add it with oatmeal...i eat beans sometimes not ass often as b4..yea ur probably righ tabout the fiber...maybe some fiber one could help i eat starwberreis a lot like 1-2 cups a day

geoffgarcia
06-22-2004, 09:36 PM
my mom says that strawberries in large quantities can cause some of the symptoms you have *LOL* I dunno if thats true or not...

for fiber u can get it at your local supermarket. Psyllium husk is the main ingredient in things like Metamucil, so find that section (probably by the vitamins and stuff) get the one without flavoring and no maltodextin...the one I use is Sugar Free Konsyl (its about 8$ for about 80 servings...so it should last a few months)
each tsp is 5g of fiber...20g would be a good number to get in ur diet, the more the better up to around 50, at which time...well...u'll be dropping kids off in the pool non stop *LOL* Oatmeal has a little fiber in it, but one serving wouldn't be enough for a day...I think one serving has like 4g ish...

latinomasfino
06-22-2004, 09:41 PM
my mom says that strawberries in large quantities can cause some of the symptoms you have *LOL* I dunno if thats true or not...

for fiber u can get it at your local supermarket. Psyllium husk is the main ingredient in things like Metamucil, so find that section (probably by the vitamins and stuff) get the one without flavoring and no maltodextin...the one I use is Sugar Free Konsyl (its about 8$ for about 80 servings...so it should last a few months)
each tsp is 5g of fiber...20g would be a good number to get in ur diet, the more the better up to around 50, at which time...well...u'll be dropping kids off in the pool non stop *LOL* Oatmeal has a little fiber in it, but one serving wouldn't be enough for a day...I think one serving has like 4g ish...

damn i need to lay off them strawberries heheh ohh ok metamucil yea i used to take that b4 like long time ago..can i use that as a dietary fiber? liike everyday? can i just mix it in my protein pancakes???

geoffgarcia
06-22-2004, 09:53 PM
well, watch out which ones you pick up, some varieties of metamucil have laxatives, some have added flavoring and some extra maltodextrin...
I'm not sure how this stuff would mix into cooking...it absorbs water and forms a gel so u should drink it down with a lot of water fairly quickly

latinomasfino
06-22-2004, 09:56 PM
well, watch out which ones you pick up, some varieties of metamucil have laxatives, some have added flavoring and some extra maltodextrin...
I'm not sure how this stuff would mix into cooking...it absorbs water and forms a gel so u should drink it down with a lot of water fairly quickly

lol ok jello pancakes LOL aight man im a try that hopefully it works everything else on my cut is coming out nicely man dropped from 175 to 160 from 19% to 14% since april.i wanna go down to 155lbs and 11% see wut happnes then bluk up this time clean

JTyrell710
06-22-2004, 10:04 PM
"Someone drinking a lot of water would have to take vitamins and minerals to replace those purged from the body and would have to carefully avoid salt.""

wouldnt u WANT salt if u were drinking alot? if the amount of salt is diluted an stuff?

latinomasfino
06-22-2004, 10:08 PM
"Someone drinking a lot of water would have to take vitamins and minerals to replace those purged from the body and would have to carefully avoid salt.""

wouldnt u WANT salt if u were drinking alot? if the amount of salt is diluted an stuff?

yea doesnt an increase in sodium cause ur body to retain more water?