PDA

View Full Version : what are the benefits of dextrose?

swt_asian_soul
06-22-2004, 08:58 PM
I was just wondering what are the benefits of dextrose?

T_Chapman
06-22-2004, 10:52 PM
it seems a lot of people take this but they dont exactly know what it does. everytime i ask someone they give me a different answer. but from what i understand dextrose is the best carb you can take postworkout. it will boost the protein absorbtion. i also heard it makes sure the protein goes to the muscles instead of being stored for energy but i dont know if its true.

geoffgarcia
06-23-2004, 09:37 AM
"dextrose is required to create the quickest and highest insulin spike for maximum glycogen uptake by muscle cells"

weight lifting alone increases muscular insulin sensitivity - called insulin independent glucose uptake. Because of this fact, this time is ideal to take advantage of the nutrient partitioning (basically means where the nutrients go) effects of training. So, ideally we’re looking at a quick digesting carbohydrate to replenish the glycogen used while training and a quicker digesting protein to provide amino acids due to the increased protein synthesis that comes after training (for up to 36 hours (3)). The quickest digesting carbohydrate, glucose - also known as dextrose or corn sugar or even grape sugar - is probably the best idea.
Maltodextrin is also a good available source. It is known as a ‘complex carbohydrate’, purely on the grounds that it is a glucose polymer consisting of about 3-8 molecules. It is therefore too long to be classed as ‘simple’, and since there is no mid-classification, complex it is. This doesn’t stop it from digesting very quickly and doing the same job to insulin that glucose does. Maltodextrin is also a carbohydrate exploited by supplement companies for this very reason. They can claim it is a complex carb and it’s great in their MRPs. In all truth, it is the guar gum that they put in these products that slow digestion, not the maltodextrin. Any other time of day, just like glucose, it is a poor choice.

It is usually recommended to make a 50/50 mix of the two, based on the differing absorption rates of the two carbs. Glucose requires no digestion and so once in the intestinal tract can pass straight through the wall lining. Maltodextrin, however, requires a bit of digestion to split it into the glucose molecules that make it up. The difference of digestion is not really that much in the way of time, but can make a big difference. This is because glucose enters the cell via active transport (4) and only so much can get through at any one time once the receptors are all being utilised. By taking in maltodextrin, the longer digestion and absorption rate means the glucose from the malto is getting to the cell more or less once the first glucose molecules are in. So you’re basically ‘lining the glucose up’.
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=109

The objective in using dextrose is to cause a rapid increase in insulin levels thus shuttling amino acids into the muscle cells. This method of combining carbohydrates and protein before and after workouts has been proven numerous times over and over again in research studies. Taking protein in conjunction with carbohydrates produces greater muscle gains and creates an anabolic effect better than taking protein or carbohydrates alone.
http://proteinfactory.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=55

Bboy486
06-23-2004, 09:47 AM
ok, is it a supplement, or a natural food form? The only thing I have seen are recovery drinks that have one or the other, and I noticed both of them are in Splenda the sugar substitue, but I can only imagine how much you would need to take to have it be significant.

TheGimp
06-23-2004, 09:49 AM
ok, is it a supplement, or a natural food form? The only thing I have seen are recovery drinks that have one or the other, and I noticed both of them are in Splenda the sugar substitue, but I can only imagine how much you would need to take to have it be significant.

Maltodextrin is used as a thickener in all manner of foods.

Dextrose is also used in many foods, I'm guessing as a sweetener.

Bboy486
06-23-2004, 09:56 AM
but how would i buy it to add to my shakes?

TheGimp
06-23-2004, 10:00 AM
From any decent supplement store.

geoffgarcia
06-23-2004, 10:10 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=762316&postcount=27
here is a link to a lot more info on both malto and dext.

reaver
06-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Place that has brewing supplies would carry it. GNC doesn't.

T_Chapman
06-23-2004, 11:37 PM
okay i read it but it just says it should be taken pre or post workout. when do you recommend it? and the article says it should be taken 50/50. do you agree?

TheGimp
06-24-2004, 02:30 AM
GNC doesn't.

From any decent supplement store.

lol ;)

I meant online, not sure if high street stores sell pure dextrose. You could always buy weight gainer which is generally just whey and malto/dextrose premixed. And yes it's also sold as a brewing supply so that is another option.

T_Chapman it should definitely be taken post workout. Preworkout it is good for supplying energy for your workout but I would say it is not as essential as post.

EDIT: As for how much, here's a response from lyle from this month's article:

Q: How much dextrose should I be using post workout? Is there any kind of guideline I should be following?

A: It should probably vary with the volume of training. I estimated in my first book (The Ketogenic Diet) that for every 2 sets of training, you'd need about 5 grams of carbs to refill the glycogen depleted and this can be used as a starting point. So if you do a 24 set workout, you'd divide by 2 to get 12 and multiply by 5, to get 60 grams of carbs to refill the muscle glycogen that you used during the activity. Alternately, you can use a more average amount of 1-1.5 g carbs/kg lean body mass (about .5-.75 g carbs per pound of lean body mass) or so.

Bboy486
06-24-2004, 08:21 AM
The GIMP

I actually have a tub of weight gainer in my house, would I be able to use it (since it is made of malo/dextrose and whey) as my mal/dextrose supplement? and if so how much should I take (since the serving size would be different from what I would be using it for)?

TheGimp
06-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Bboy that would be fine, although it is not quite as versatile as having whey and dextrose seperately where you can determine quite how much of each you require. Take a look at how much protein and carbs are in each serving.

Bboy486
06-24-2004, 08:43 AM
when i know the p/c serving should I just take the servign size, cuz i have seen on the board something about 25 g of carb and 40 g protein, but i dont know what that means, and why they are measuring grams?

geoffgarcia
06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
How much to take is IMHO a little more complicated than Lyles response there.
Obviously I'm not going to pretend that I know more than him, I'm just saying he made a curteous short response about how to restore glycogen stores without getting into the insulin boosting aspect of dex/malto which would assist in the protein uptake.

Also, if ur on a cut u might not want to be taking in 60g of carbs to satisfy a quick insulin spike...you will get other carbs during the day that will fix the glycogen stores, so don't worry there.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that 60-90g post workout would be ideal to go with 30-40g of protein...which I'd do on a bulk only. while cutting it to 20-30g on a cut and keeping protein constant.

I had other stuff I wanted to write, but I just had a brain fart...

oh yeah! I've read (when I say this I just mean I have no sources but I know I've read this) that whey protein powder absorption takes about 1 hours yet malto and dext absorption takes 25-35 minutes at which time it will kick off an insulin spike.
Alone this information might indicate that post workout carbs might be better taken 30 minutes after the proteins (for someone that is anal) however, these numbers (which I got from Blood&Iron) don't take into account how long it takes for the insulin spike to get to a meaningful level. For all I know it might take that additional 30 minutes!

For my next bulk my plan will be to get my dex/malto and store it seperately from my protein and take 3 doses of the carbs post workout.
25g w/ protein, then after 25 minutes take another 25g then after 40 minutes take another 20g...

I worry about the small stuff cuz I have a lot of free time...I'm fully aware that this amount of scrutinization is probably useless unless someone wants to get the final 0.5% out of it...I just have free time, so I figure why not...