PDA

View Full Version : best clean food to eat at night when you need calories

T_Chapman
06-24-2004, 12:28 AM
whats the best food to eat at night when its late and youre almost past the time you normally sleep. you already loaded up on protein so eating more of it will just get stored as fat. so lets see what other options you have: carbs and fat. wow... your options suck. what to do?

Max-Mex
06-24-2004, 05:29 AM
If you need calories, then what's wrong with the extra protien? If you still need the calories, the protien will be used. I seriously doubt it will be stored as fat.

Anyhoo, fruits (watermelon is da bomb), salads, sugarfree jello to name a few.

Augury
06-24-2004, 05:41 AM
The point here T Chapman is the fact you need more calories. To use a gross oversimplification here (the body is rather more messy in reality) if you need the calories and dont actually eat them that night then you will lose weight (or perhaps in your case not gain the weight you were intending to).

Either way those calories need to be eaten to achieve your goals and the macronutrient you choose to eat to get them is irrelevant. Fat, protein and carbs are all "clean". The issue is whether the source of those macros you choose to eat is clean. Example: you decide to get your extra calories through fat. You could eat 15g of olive oil or 15g of lard. One will give you clean calories the other will put an extra micron around your rather precious coronary heart arteries.

Eat what you can sleep well on. Make sure the source isnt crappy. Very often at night I find myself having to eat the most BIZARRE things becasue fitday is telling me that i need 14g of carbs and 27 g of fat to hit my totals. So i end up eating peanut butter on crackers a lot....or olive oil with a little rice. you get the picture. a protein shake is of course a fantastic way to get some extra calories that are clean and any extra protien your body dosnt need gets made into glucose (eventually) and will fill the calorie hole you are seeking to fill.

*cue Geoff to disagree* :)

Augs

Shao-LiN
06-24-2004, 11:03 AM
whats the best food to eat at night when its late and youre almost past the time you normally sleep. you already loaded up on protein so eating more of it will just get stored as fat. so lets see what other options you have: carbs and fat. wow... your options suck. what to do?

What's your reasoning for saying protein will get stored as fat because you ate it throughout the day?

JeffWillConquer
06-24-2004, 11:14 AM
I think excess protein is wasted through urine, not turned into fat.

Holto
06-24-2004, 11:20 AM
I think excess protein is wasted through urine, not turned into fat.

the body is designed to avoid starvation

for this reason the only way a calorie can leave the body is as heat and kinetic energy (movement)

if protien is found in the urine it is considered a serious medical condition and will not occur in a healthy body

any excess calories will be stored as fat regardless of whether they come from carbs, fat or protein

total calories determine weight gain and weight loss

Holto
06-24-2004, 11:22 AM

stop believing in all these rediculous myth's that are so abound in this industry

decide what your total cals are and hit it every day

decide what you total protien needs are and hit it every day

when you eat it has almost no bearing

there are clinical stuides that compare 2 meals to 5 meals for weight loss

both groups lost they same amount of weight...guess why...they were both fed the same amount of cals

Saint Patrick
06-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Cottage Cheese.

BulkMeUp
06-24-2004, 12:44 PM
just my .02 cents. I read somewhere that combining pro with carbs or fat is ok. but not fat with carbs. How far you want to go with that is upto you. But personally my last meal b4 bedtime is 1cup cottage cheese + 2tbsp olive oil + 2fish oil caps.

John Williams
06-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Here's a recipe that gives you the slow releasing casein in cottage cheese, together with the EFA's of flax, all wrapped-up into a tasty shake. I drink one almost every night an hour or so before bed.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=144

Butterscotch Shake

Ingredients:

1 scoop chocolate or vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
2 tbsp whole flax seeds, or 4 tbsp flaxseed meal
1/3 cup walnuts
Dash of Splenda
Dash of butterscotch sugar-free instant Jell-O

Instructions:

Put the flax seeds in the blender first, followed by the protein powder,
cottage cheese, jell-o mix, Splenda, a handful of ice, and a dash of water.
Don't put the walnuts in yet. Blend for 1-2 minutes, making sure the flax
seeds are well ground. Stop the blender, drop-in the walnuts, and blend for 5
seconds, only until they are chopped.

Macronutrient Profile:
K/cal - 402

Protein - 44 g

Carbs - 19 g (8 fiber; 8
sugar)

Fat - 18 g (3.7s, 3.5m,
9.9p)

omega-3 - 5.21
omega-6 - 4.60

IRN-BRU
06-28-2004, 07:41 PM
I've just discovered cottage cheese. Didnt realise it was so low fat/carbs and high protein. Slow digesting protein actually, which is theoretically good for night time to keep you supplied with protein while you sleep.

Tastes great on wholemeal toast with some pepper. In fact it's 2am and I'm gonna have a bit now.. Then again I dont track my diet too well, I just guess a lot.

IRN-BRU

reloaded
06-30-2004, 09:36 PM
I've just discovered cottage cheese.
Sadly, I've never had cottage cheese :(. Is it good? I don't wanna eat it if it tastes like total crap.

T_Chapman
06-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Sadly, I've never had cottage cheese :(. Is it good? I don't wanna eat it if it tastes like total crap.

i have eaten a lot of nasty stuff in my life such as andive and spinach juice. extremely bitter. i thought i was going to throw up several times. my dad got mad at me because he thought i was faking the fact that i was really going to puke.

i dont like cottage cheese. it doesnt make you puke but its not tasty at all. it just got very tiring to forcefeed myself lumps of "glue" everyday lol.

BulkMeUp
07-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Some will swear by it, others will run away screaming. I am not too crazy about it and it took me a bit to get used to it. but now i am ok, and eat it every night as it is a good source of casein protein. But you wont know how you feel about it until you try it.

thetopdog
07-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Get a decent brand of cottage cheese and it's not bad, get a bad-tasting brand and it's inedible

Holto
07-01-2004, 06:57 PM
I couldn't eat cottage cheese but I make some really good smoothies with it in a blender

coChee+grapejuice+rasperry jam+water+ice