PDA

View Full Version : hows this for post workout meal

10-18-2001, 10:57 AM
Getting ready to bulk at the end of the month so I'm starting to put together my new diet.

Bulking Post-workout meal:
1 Myoplex (280,24,42,2)
50g Dextrose (200,50,0,0)
1 1/2 cup Milk (135,18,13,1)
5g Creatine

Calories = 615
Carbs = 92g
Protein = 55g
Fat = 3g

How does it look? any changes needed?
I know now milk may not be the best choice for post-workout, but will it really slow up the absorption that much since I'm also downing 50g dextrose?

Reinier
10-18-2001, 11:09 AM
isn`t the absorption of all different substanced totally independant of each other?
i mean would the whole thing be medium gi if you mix high and low in a meal or shake?

Wizard
10-18-2001, 11:15 AM
Drop the milk and it's fine.

syntekz
10-18-2001, 11:21 AM
drop the milk?

keep it; that looks perfect.

Manipul8r
10-18-2001, 12:17 PM
looks good to me man, and i agree, KEEP THE MILK..

Wizard
10-18-2001, 12:56 PM
DROP IT!
:disagree:

10-18-2001, 01:00 PM
wizard do you say to drop the milk because you think the 1 1/2 cups will slow up the absorption of other proteins and nutrients that much?

and if so, what do you suggest to replace the milk with?

I wanna keep the post-workout cals high. That meal will go with a diet thats around 3500-3800 cal.

heathj
10-18-2001, 09:09 PM
Where do you get pure dextrose?

the doc
10-18-2001, 09:21 PM
look in the upper right hand corner of this page
;)

10-18-2001, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by heathj
Where do you get pure dextrose?

You can get them at local bulk bins. Places that sell all types of sugars, and candy and crap.

It will either be labeled as dextrose or glucose. Same thing. It looks the same as sucrose does but has a slightly different taste and texture.

heathj
10-18-2001, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I'm dumb. Thanks :p Protein Factory has a lot of shiat. Think I will start buying some of their formulas, once I start bulking. Good shiat!

Big Show
10-18-2001, 09:29 PM
Try replacing the 1 1/2 cups of milk with 50g of skim milk powder cause 50g of powder has 180 cals,17g protein,28g carbs and no fat. Plus it'll last longer and in the long run will work out to be cheaper than buying milk in the carton or jug

Wizard
10-19-2001, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Avatar
wizard do you say to drop the milk because you think the 1 1/2 cups will slow up the absorption of other proteins and nutrients that much?

Yes,because of that.Also,so much protein is not essantial but it doesn't matter that much.

Reinier
10-19-2001, 04:34 PM
damnit i asked a question here

the doc
10-19-2001, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Reinier
isn`t the absorption of all different substanced totally independant of each other?
i mean would the whole thing be medium gi if you mix high and low in a meal or shake?

It is more complicated than that. You must take into account the amounts of fibre fat and protein consumed with the carbs.

Now i have a question, are you a woman?

heathj
10-19-2001, 06:15 PM
I will answer that for him. Yes. :p

Bax
10-19-2001, 10:42 PM
I'm still fairly new to the supplements side of bb since really I work out to stay in shape and be healthy. Maybe this belongs in the supplements section but since the thread talks about it, I'll ask here....what exactly is Myoplex and Dextrose? What do they do for you and I'm assuming from the topic they are best used when bulking?? Thanks.

Maki Riddington
10-19-2001, 11:31 PM
Since most of you are advising him to drop the milk because of the absorption rate. I would be interested in seeing how much milk actually slows the absorption of whey protiens.

Can anyone post some research supporting the claim that milk is not the best choice postworkout?

Wizard
10-20-2001, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Bax
I'm still fairly new to the supplements side of bb since really I work out to stay in shape and be healthy. Maybe this belongs in the supplements section but since the thread talks about it, I'll ask here....what exactly is Myoplex and Dextrose? What do they do for you and I'm assuming from the topic they are best used when bulking?? Thanks.

Dextrose,is the name used in industry for pure, crystalline glucose sugar. It is usually sold in the form of fine, white granules (grains). Dextrose is produced commercially by treatment of starch with the enzyme amylase or by putting starch in water mixed with dilute hydrochloric acid. When the starch-acid mixture is heated under steam pressure in a converter, it changes to glucose.It's the most quickly absorbed simple carbohydrate and is widely used as a postworkout aid to feed the muscles.

Myoplex is a meal replacement from the brand EAS.There are a lot of Myoplex products.Some are low in carbs(for cutting),some are high in carbs(for bulking)and some are more balanced.(protein/carbs)

10-24-2001, 02:56 PM
I wanna bump this thread.

As makki asked already, has anyone come across any studies or good articles, that proves milk is extremely slow absorbing and/or bad for post-workout.

MWB
10-24-2001, 03:02 PM
Milk is like 80% casein right. Casein is a very slow digesting protein. Why would you want that post workout?

Budiak
10-24-2001, 06:50 PM
I say keep the milk, because its do-decalicious!

He wants to drink some casein right after workout because it will make the damn shake taste better. Plus it will add calories, many of which are sugars.

Plus its crizzeamy.

Sayiajin Prince
10-25-2001, 12:04 AM
whey + casien = good protien combo:
absorbtion now, absorbtion later

u get to take a shower after ur milk :)

Wizard
10-25-2001, 01:28 AM
The olny reason I can give you for having milk postworkout,is that it has big amounts of L-glutamine.Anyway,whey is a better choice.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-25-2001, 03:13 AM
why are you guys so obsessed with high GI foods post workout?

YatesNightBlade
10-25-2001, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
why are you guys so obsessed with high GI foods post workout?

To replace the lost Blood sugar (replenish Glycogen stores) and to create an insulin spike. Insulin being a carrier of nutriants into cells ie muscles.

Pup
10-25-2001, 05:24 AM
Once again, yates is correct. Robboe, I don't where you are getting this low gi stuff for post workout, but its bollox. Think about it, why would you want a slow digesting carbohydrate right after a workout?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-25-2001, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by just_a_pup
Once again, yates is correct. Robboe, I don't where you are getting this low gi stuff for post workout, but its bollox. Think about it, why would you want a slow digesting carbohydrate right after a workout?

I'm not saying use a slow digesting carb.

"To replace the lost Blood sugar (replenish Glycogen stores) and to create an insulin spike. Insulin being a carrier of nutriants into cells ie muscles."

** so if i don;t eat a high GI food i won't replace lost blood sugar?...

Tryska
10-25-2001, 01:37 PM
not as quickly.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-25-2001, 01:41 PM
so what's the jive with getting them in so quick?

will it make my muscles bigger than if i wasn;t eating high GI post training?

i don;t plan on hitting that muscle again for another 7 days and i don;t plan on training again for 24 hours so why does it matter that the nutrients are there now or in 30-60 minutes time?

Tryska
10-25-2001, 01:44 PM
if i'm not mistaken, during that 30 minutes post-workout your muscles are wide open to soak up whatever you put into your bloodstream. So by giving them protein in a "carrier" of simple carbs, you get them filled up with good stuff while they can most use it to kick off recovery.

does that sound about right guys?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-25-2001, 01:46 PM
I'm aware of that theory.

but still:

will it make my muscles bigger than if i wasn't eating high GI post training?

i don't plan on hitting that muscle again for another 7 days and i don't plan on training again for 24 hours so why does it matter that the nutrients are there now or in 30-60 minutes time?

Tryska
10-25-2001, 01:49 PM
oh i dunno.

i don't eat til i get home, unless i'm so whupped i need some sugar in my blood in order to get home alive.

body
10-25-2001, 02:10 PM
The_Chicken_Daddy wrote- I'm aware of that theory.

but still:

will it make my muscles bigger than if i wasn't eating high GI post training?

i don't plan on hitting that muscle again for another 7 days and i don't plan on training again for 24 hours so why does it matter that the nutrients are there now or in 30-60 minutes time? "

well as soon as you start to increase the insulin levels agian and increasing blood sugar levels you decrease amino aicds being utilised as fuels. therefore by not eating straight away your muscle will be broken down further and it will take longer to recover and you will not have as much msucle as some on who ate straight away.

10-25-2001, 02:24 PM
ok question: will the milk slow down the other foods being absorbed in during my post-workout meal or just the milk alone?

I have a feeling it'll slightly slow down everything, but just tell me anyways so I'm sure. :p

body
10-25-2001, 02:30 PM
a)depends on how fast it makes the go through gastric emptying.

body
10-25-2001, 02:43 PM
chicken it also depends on the volume and intensity of exersie you have done as well. if you have done HIT then you will not need as much high GI as some one who has played rugby or swam hard for 2 hours. to fully recompensate glycogen levels may take up to 20 hours. tour de france cyclist may even take longer to recover.

10-25-2001, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by body
a)depends on how fast it makes the go through gastric emptying.

was that an answer to CD's question or mine? if so its was a poor one.

body
10-25-2001, 03:26 PM
yours - gastric emptying time will effect how long the foodmix/drink will get to your intestine before being taken up into the blood stream.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-25-2001, 03:30 PM
"well as soon as you start to increase the insulin levels agian and increasing blood sugar levels you decrease amino aicds being utilised as fuels. therefore by not eating straight away your muscle will be broken down further and it will take longer to recover and you will not have as much msucle as some on who ate straight away."

I would be eating straight away, just not a high GI food. does it still count now?

body
10-25-2001, 03:41 PM
chicken - replenishment will still be occuring just not as at a quick rate. you have increased levels of glycogen synthase. take advatnage of it.
the level of difference will vary form person to perosn and be likely to be small in most cases. however at the top levels small difference are important.

the doc
10-25-2001, 07:02 PM
chicken, i dont think it would be necessary always to take a high GI post workout- but if you want to possibly achieve that extra % of glycogen postworkout (which volumizes the cell. I believe there is a theory that higher cell volumization and hydration promotes cell division, thus growth. each glucose carries 8 waters with it. SOmeone correct me if i'm wrong)
I'm thinking that if your cutting or not really bulking then high GI would probably be undersired just due to the fact that you would get at least some stored as fat (or at least not take a lot of it)

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-26-2001, 04:26 AM
so everyone agrees that high GI foods are not necessary, although they may help post workout slightly.

Wizard
10-26-2001, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
so everyone agrees that high GI foods are not necessary, although they may help post workout slightly.
That's right

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-26-2001, 06:46 AM
Well alrighty. That's enough for me.

YatesNightBlade
10-31-2001, 03:05 AM
There not necessary, but your not gonna get the desired Insulin Spike with low GI Carbs.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-31-2001, 03:20 AM
who said it's desired? :)

YatesNightBlade
10-31-2001, 03:23 AM
me

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-31-2001, 03:31 AM
Ok then Spanky.

the doc
10-31-2001, 04:58 AM
i remember missabs saying a long time ago that insulin spikes post wrokout were not necessary

that is all.

YatesNightBlade
10-31-2001, 05:04 AM
lol Well that confirms it then ....... Insulin Spikes will help your development a great deal.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-31-2001, 06:44 AM
*smack* tuttut