PDA

View Full Version : Fat, DAG oil and the liver...hype or not?

Augury
06-24-2004, 05:23 AM
Im curious to get some opinions on this. Lyle from UD2 fame mantioned DAG oil a lot as a way to skip storage of fat and get it straight into the hepatic portal system and thus the liver for energy creation.

How DAG oil works (http://www.enovaoil.com/work/how_works.asp)

Any comments folks?

BTW: This url was kindly brought to my attention by ScottS so props to him for that.

Augs

TheGimp
06-24-2004, 05:34 AM
I am sceptical. This is an issue of whether it actually comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Yes more may be burned for energy than oil that is primarily TAG fat but it seems to me that all this means is that less body fat will need to be burnt for energy.

Augury
06-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Im with you on the logic Gimpster. I think its usefullness (assuming it even dfoes what it says) depends on your goals.

A while ago i was discussing with Aka about how if you are eating a LOT of carbs then your body is going to be burning glycogen as a primary fuel source. That meant in consequence any fat eaten would be easily and rapidly stored as bodyfat becasue it wasnt needed to power the body.

I guess DAG oil can be thought of just like carbs in a way. Becasue they (apparently) circumvent the lymphatic system and enter straight into blood>hepatic portal system>liver...where they are made into energy...then you have an energy path that uses fat. But the question remains that if you are eating carbs etc....then which path does the body prefer? will it still use up carb energy first and only then turn to all this free fatty acid in the blood?

Im interested in this because on my 4 days of low carbs im eating a LOT of fat to keep my calories where they need to be to be gaining weight. Id much rather be eating a fat that skips past those naughty fat cells which could steal it and goes straight to the liver to be broken down into something that means i can burn it as fuel. I dont trust my own logic tho on this.

Im curious to know what other board members think/know about this stuff.

Augs

TheGimp
06-24-2004, 06:15 AM
Well it seems to get results

http://ift.confex.com/ift/2004/techprogram/paper_21728.htm

Nutritional benefits of Enova oil

Long-term DAG consumption (16 wks) prevented the accumulation of body fat and body weight in Japanese men (n=38) in a double blind controlled study with unrestricted carbohydrate energy intake. DAG has also been shown to enhance reductions in body weight and fat mass when incorporated into a hypocaloric diet in a randomized, double-blind, parallel study using overweight or obese Americans (n=127). In this study, 15% of energy were taken from test oils in hypocaloric diet (500-800 kcal/d deficit) containing either DAG or TAG oil for 24 wks. DAG oil consumption has been observed to significantly increase fat oxidation and decrease respiratory quotient values over the course of 36 hours in a metabolic chamber. Specific subjective appetite ratings were significantly decreased as well. From the results of these studies, DAG oil-containing foods promoted weight loss and body fat reduction and may thus be useful as an adjunct to diet therapy in the management of obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12450887

Consumption of diacylglycerol oil as part of a reduced-energy diet enhances loss of body weight and fat in comparison with consumption of a triacylglycerol control oil.

We assessed the efficacy of an oil containing mainly 1,3-diacylglycerol in reducing body weight and fat mass when incorporated into a reduced-energy diet...The subjects (n = 131) were overweight or obese men (waist circumference > or = 90 cm) and women (waist circumference > or = 87 cm). Food products (muffins, crackers, soup, cookies, and granola bars) containing diacylglycerol or triacylglycerol oil and having the same fatty acid composition were incorporated into a reduced-energy diet (2100-3350-kJ/d deficit) for 24 wk. Percentages of change in body weight, fat mass, and intraabdominal fat area were assessed. RESULTS: In an intention-to-treat analysis, body weight and fat mass decreased significantly more in the diacylglycerol group than in the triacylglycerol group (P = 0.025 and 0.037, respectively). By the end of the trial, mean body weight had decreased 3.6% and 2.5% in the diacylglycerol and triacylglycerol groups, respectively. Fat mass decreased 8.3% and 5.6% in the diacylglycerol and triacylglycerol groups, respectively. CONCLUSION: Foods containing diacylglycerol oil promoted weight loss and body fat reduction and may be useful as an adjunct to diet therapy in the management of obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12550065

Dietary diacylglycerol suppresses high fat diet-induced hepatic fat accumulation and microsomal triacylglycerol transfer protein activity in rats.

We have recently shown that the long-term ingestion of dietary diacylglycerol (DAG) mainly containing 1,3-isoform reduces body fat accumulation in humans as compared to triacylglycerol (TAG) with the same fatty acid composition. The fat reduction in this human experiment was most pronounced in visceral fat and hepatic fat.
The quote I've highlighted from the last one I found particularly interesting, which seems to go along with the idea that dieting tends to target visceral fat and exercise subcutaneous. Perhaps the implications for this is that DAG oil would not be as effective when attempting to lose those last few percent of stubborn fat, which of course is what UD2.0 is primarily designed for (although I know you are currently using it for mass gain :))

Augury
06-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Thats pretty interesting reading Gimp. Ta for those quotes. The last was indeed a thought provoker. If DAG effectively slows/stops/reverses the buildup of VAT then thats great. If its one of the only fats you are eating then I dont see how it can be anything but beneficial to losing stubborn subcutaneous fat. My reasoning?

Well, the body likes to self protect. SubQ fat is an insulator and an energy source. VAT is an organ protector and buffer against rubbing/friction/damage and an energy source. As VAT comes down the body will eventually rather it didnt get any lower and it will release the chemicals that free up subQ fat from their stubborn locations simply becasue it can stand to lose some of that now rather than the VAT thats reaching a low thats not acceptable for the body. It may even swap and send subQ fat to the VAT areas if they continue to drop assuming not enough dietary fat is being ingested.

My reasoning is probably utterly faulty and full of holes but at least im thinking. Seperates us from couch potatoes and besides i have an opposable thumb and THAT is why i will always be able to laud myself over dogs and cats. The fools! having said that....who is more the fool....the dog/cat with no opposable thumb or the human who takes one in, feeds it, pets it and generally gives it a trouble free life (with no responsibilities) simply becasue its furry and can wag its tail. Hmm.

Augs