PDA

View Full Version : Requiem For Insanity

Spartan936
06-24-2004, 02:25 PM
My Journal.

Okay, this journal won't be updated daily. It's just to track my own progress and keep my lazy @$$ dedicated.

Right now I'm 17, 5'5, and 120 lbs of weakness. My focus is to first put on as much mass as possible over a few years, then focus on strength and endurance. I've lifted sporadically for years, but never really jumped into it. What better time than now? Tomorrow I will be buying a nice squat rack / bench / lat tower; and as God as my witness, I will use them!!! lol. This is the routine I will start using tomorrow at 5am:

Mass Building Routine

Daily Workout
-Warm up for 10 minutes.
-Lift according to schedule; 40-60 minutes.
-Cool down for 5 minutes.
-Stretch entire body for 5 minutes.

Day One
-ATF Squats: 15/10/8/6/6
-Deadlifts: 15/10/8/6/6
-Leg Extensions: 15/10/8/6/6
-SLD: 15/10/8/6/6
-Calf Raises: 15/10/8/6/6
-Forearm Rolls: 15/10/8/6/6

Day Two
-Bench Press: 15/10/8/6/6
-Incline Press: 15/10/8/6/6
-Dips: 15/10/8/6/6
-Shoulder Press: 15/10/8/6/6
-Lateral Raises: 15/10/8/6/6
-Tricep Press: 15/10/8/6/6

Day Three
-Bent Rows: 15/10/8/6/6
-Chin Ups: 15/10/8/6/6
-Shrugs: 15/10/8/6/6
-Twist. Sit Ups: 15/10/8/6/6
-Barbell Curls: 15/10/8/6/6
-Preacher Curls: 15/10/8/6/6

Day Four - Strengthen cardiovascular and nervous system
-Five Mile Jog or Swimming
-Sprints: 10 Sets of 20 seconds each

Rest And Repeat

As for rest days, I will take them when I feel I need them; at least two every week. Calorie wise, I'm shooting for around 3500. I've been staying away from crappy food and just eating more natural foods.

I've finally become serious about all this...What else...

Let the spamming begin...

dissipate
06-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Good luck! :)

debussy
06-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Looks like you got a solid plan. Now it's just time to do it. I look forward to seeing your progress. And don't forget... diet is very important... so eat! And eat clean.

Spartan936
06-24-2004, 09:50 PM
dissipate-Thank you! It's great to see some chicks hitting the weights :hello:
debussy- Thanks mate (whoa, never used that word before) I look forward to seeing my progress too!

Spartan936
06-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Just finished the legendary 20 rep squats. It was like a vision quest. Had a good first workout on my new routine, diets good, and things are finally looking up!

Quote of the day: "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones." Einstein. who else?

ryuage
06-27-2004, 03:37 AM
good luck bulking, 20 rep squats kick a**

Spartan936
06-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Alright I felt good, so I hit the bench presses today. Had a good workout, but man, I'm as weak as a little girl. lol. Oh well, I'll get there. Just watched "Pumping Iron" for the first time; it was good motivation seeing Franco Columbu (my hero) move a car! Heh heh.

Thanks for stopping by Ryuage! Oddly enough, I'm beginning to look forward to leg day...

Album Of The Day: The White Album, The Beatles

Spartan936
06-28-2004, 09:51 AM
Back day / upper body pulling day. Again, a good workout, though I need to make things more orderly, instead of having such sporadic sessions. I should also put more effort into my journal, hmmmm... I'm already experiencing some more newbie gains! I hope they never stop. Anyone know when I can expect them to slow down significantly? I've heard after several months.

Film Of The Day: Requiem For A Dream (Watch It; the only movie that almost made me cry. It is truly life altering if you pay attention.)

TheGimp
06-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Hey Spartan!

Here's me motivating you to put more effort into your journal :whip:

:) Good luck!

Shane
06-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Welcome to journal land. That is some serious volume there man. Is the set of 15 reps a warm-up?

Spartan936
06-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Ouch Gimp. That hurts. lol

Thanks for the concern Shane. Yeah, generally the first one or two sets are warmups. I've worked out three days in a row now and I feel I may just be overdoing it a bit; I'll take some extra rest before any more heavy lifting. I just need to find that point where I'm going at it as hard as I can without overtraining. lol, the perfect balance for maximum growth. It's like finding the holy grail. Okay, I'm gonna eat my tuna, rice, and milk now. :burger:

Spartan936
06-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Alright. Rest day. :drooling:

Book of the day: Conan the Cimmerian, by Robert E. Howard. I suggest all you fantasy buffs read it. Comparable to the best.

Spartan936
06-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Funny how life can take two 90 degree turns, then a 180, then a 360, then one last 180. LOL, anyways, things are great. Needless to say, there's a girl involved. :clown:

Had a great workout, did some good squats and leg stuff. Have gained some weight, though it's tough to maintain calories. Doin' good though. I'm really considering putting more into this journal.

Edit: AAAAHHHH!!!! Almost forgot.

Song of the day: All you need is love. The Beatles (or just John? I can't recall)

TheGimp
07-01-2004, 02:19 AM
Congrats on the workout and from the sound of things, the girl :p

Spartan936
07-01-2004, 05:52 PM
And so I play the waiting game........... chicks are evil. Sometimes.

Well, had a good workout today, and my goodness I've gained some strength. My bent over rows went from like 65 to 85! Must have been a good day coupled with decent gains. :cool: Maybe it was just the kewl music I was listenin' to. TOOL is awesome.

Thanks for the ecouragment Gimp!

Album of the day: Aenima, TOOL. Pry-ing-op-en-my-third-eye!!!

Spartan936
07-05-2004, 09:48 AM
AAAAHHHH!!! I am SO back, and the view is glorious from cloud nine. I've worked out everyday since I've left; weights have been slowly creeping up, body weight is also rising. I'm looking to do this in a more scientific approach, especially after looking at Augury and TheGimps journals. I'll check out UD2. :nod: Today is leg day. yay for me.

Song Of The Day: Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd

dissipate
07-06-2004, 07:20 AM
sounds like you're making good and steady progress!!

Spartan936
07-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Mass Building Routine

-Rest only when working out would result in regression and/or death. Eat at least 4000 healthy calories a day with plenty of protein throughout. Sleep at least 7 hours every night. -Drink around 4 liters of water per day. Workout first thing in the morning. Eat a light snack one hour before workout; carbohydrates and protein. Eat soon after workout; carbohydrates and protein. Workout should take about an hour. Always warm up before workout and cool down and stretch afterwards. Use quick explosive movements during all exercises for maximum strength. Progress each week on all lifts and running. Rest about thirty seconds between sets and lifts. Concentrate on form; tense muscles at the top of each movement, breath evenly, feel the involved muscles, and no cheating. Workout is meant to be low intensity for muscle building and strengthening of the cardiovascular and nervous systems. Each bracket below represents any sort of gain on an exercise each week; added weight for lifts, faster time for running. This is a nine week routine. I am so cool.

Do lifts below on days One, Three, and Five
-Calf Raises: 1 set for burn
-Wrist Curls: 1 set for burn
-R Wrist Curls: 1 set for burn
-Spin. Sit Ups: 1 set for burn
-Pullovers: 1 set for burn

Day One - Muscle mass: On all sets, lift two reps away from failure
-ATF Squats: 3x15
-Deadlifts: 3x10
-Leg Curls: 3x15
-Leg Extensions: 3x15

Day Two - Cardio and nervous system
-Two Mile Jog, 140 BPM:
-Sprinting, 200 BPM:

Day Three - Muscle mass: On all sets, lift two reps away from failure
-Bench Press: 3x8
-Dips: 3x8
-Shoulder Press: 3x8
-RL Raises: 3x8

Day Four - Cardio and nervous system
-Two Mile Jog, 160 BPM:
-Sprinting, 200 BPM:

Day Five - Muscle mass: On all sets, lift two reps away from failure
-Chin Ups: 3x10
-Bent Rows: 3x10
-Shrugs: 3x10
-Barbell Curls: 3x10

Day Six - Cardio and nervous system
-Two Mile Jog, 140 BPM:
-Sprinting, 200 BPM:

Recuperation
-After nine weeks of heavy lifting and heavy eating, take a week off of both to revitalize the bodyís nervous system.
-On that week off do low intensity workouts and eat just enough calories not to lose weight.

Spartan936
07-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Do lifts below on days One, Three, and Five
-Calf Raises: 1 set for burn
-Wrist Curls: 1 set for burn
-R Wrist Curls: 1 set for burn
-Spin. Sit Ups: 1 set for burn
-Pullovers: 1 set for burn

I know, I know. I'm questioning this myself; I'm thinking a head start with calves, forearms, and abs may be nice though...

dissipate
07-14-2004, 06:44 AM
what does 1 set for burn mean?

Spartan936
07-14-2004, 10:05 AM
what does 1 set for burn mean?

You know when you do crunches, barbell curls, calf raises... and your muscle actually begins to hurt? That burning sensation. I just do those exercises until my muscle begin to get a deep burn. I feel it the most on calf raises.

dissipate
07-19-2004, 08:01 AM
yeah i get the most burn on calf raises too.

UPDATE!!!! :whip:

ryuage
07-19-2004, 08:17 AM
if you dont like that burn I wouldn't suggest ud2 because every set on depletion is for burn! ouch.

Spartan936
07-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Dissipate: Yes m'am!

Ryu: I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for stoppin' by.

Spartan936
07-19-2004, 09:05 PM
I've still been lifting and running. Yesterday I ran 5 miles in 41 minutes. I'm pooped. Today I rest. As far as diet goes... my last five meals have consisted entirely of chili and some other healthy stuff. lol. I'm going to buy myself a weight scale soon; I'd like to know if I'm actually gaining weight. 1/2 to 1 pound per week is what I'm aiming for. I'm afraid that any weight scale that shows a difference of a 1/2 pound acurately is going to be ****** expensive. Bah! :D

TheGimp
07-20-2004, 03:04 AM
Slacker.

Nice running though :)

dissipate
07-30-2004, 08:27 AM
:windup: :strong:

Spartan936
08-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Otay...

On my quest for studliness and strength once again following a brief intermission... thank you for waiting patiently ladies and gentlemen... THE TIME HAS COME (*intense, slow and dramatic music plays*) Spartan is cutting sugar, white flour, coffee, and all heavily processed foods out of his diet (*audience gasps*). Good for him... err... me. AS GOD AS MY WITNESS I WILL POST EVERY %@*@#&!@(*(#)@#!#@in' *@(*##!ing day.

Tomorrow morning I will post my training routine and all of my weights. My legs look forward to squats in the morning (sarcasm). That's all for now folks; rant's over.

dissipate
08-03-2004, 07:36 AM
lol. grats on making the decision to cut those stuff out! looking forward to your workout updates!!

TheGimp
08-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Looking forward to today's update ;)

Spartan936
08-07-2004, 01:47 AM
Alright.

I had my workouts all planned out perfectly but ummm... my dog ate it. I was gonna update but umm... my computer was uh... it wouldn't ummm... Oh, okay, I got lazy, and yes, there was a half a bag of snickers candy bars involved, and by half a bag I mean a full bag. No I haven't worked out, its been five days now. I blame the government.

Good news is that I started working out again just an hour ago... I ran 3 miles in 21 minutes! I was so happy I nearly passed out.

I'll update tomorrow- err... later today. My workouts will be posted and everything. Thanks Disipate and Gimpy; I may model my journal off of both of yours.

Now to sleep and dream.

Spartan936
08-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Had a pleasant workout. Weights were slightly up although my bodyweight is slightly down (???). I'm going to increase my calories again, I was on somewhat of a break from eating big. Call it laziness if you must.

dissipate
08-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Keep it up!! (the weights i mean :p)

TheGimp
08-10-2004, 01:31 PM
lol

Come on, keep up the effort :)

Spartan936
08-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Bah. Damn dirty apes.

Keep it up!! (the weights i mean :p)

gettin' kinky are we? lol

I'll update tomorrow. I swear on my mutha's grave.

Don't follow leaders. Watch your parking meters.

ryuage
08-13-2004, 05:33 AM
get a ticket ay?

dissipate
08-13-2004, 07:03 AM
hahahaha i meant keeping the lifting up and not the laziness!!!! you're the one getting kinky lol! kinky thoughts!

chops
08-13-2004, 09:03 AM
just peeking in. good luck on the bulk! 4k cal should surely do the trick.
i like the burn but i try to save them for the end so i don't wear out. chili is perfectly healthy food :)

Spartan936
08-13-2004, 11:02 AM
DATE
Friday the 13th

SLEEP
8 Hours

WATER
2 Liters

DIET
Brown Rice, assorted beans, spinach, fruit, organic meat, olive oil. I'm craving sugar, but I've sworn off the damn stuff. I think I've come across a very useful hunger mechanism: when I stopped eating sugar, within days I was constantly hungry, so I kept eating healthy food, but my body was crying for sugar. I must've eaten 5000 calories one day. Gummy bears are now calling me in the night, it's awful. About 3200 calories yesterday, over 120 grams of protein. I haven't watched my carbs or fats, although I eat brown rice drenched in olive oil at least three times a day. It's all repetative but worth it.

EXERCISE
Will workout later in the day. I'm debating on the best routine for me. My last five week bulk (poorly planned but effective) put 11 pounds on me, I'd like to do that again, lol. I can't decide what sort of split I should use. I need to have a solid schedule to stick with for a few months, but I'm one of those guys who likes to lift everyday. My mind keeps going back to using a low intensity legs/push/pull training split that I can do six days a week. Or possibly a low intensity split based off of the WBB program. Suggestions?

COMMENTS/GENIUS
Thanks Gimp, Ryuage, Chops, and Dissipate, I needed the encouragement. My journal has officially begun. *laughs like a maniac*

Spartan936
08-13-2004, 03:38 PM
And on leg day God said, "Let there be squats", and there was squats, and God saw that they were good.

ryuage
08-14-2004, 03:13 AM
then after leg day Ryuage said "Let me lay in bed all day, and laying in bed all day was good."

Spartan936
08-15-2004, 09:52 AM
DATE
8/15/04

SLEEP
8 hours

WATER
Not enough; I need to carry around that 2 liter water bottle.

DIET
Today I plan to eat: oats, assorted beans, organic chicken, spinach...
I will be counting my calories as well. There's a first time for everything.

EXERCISE
Here's my new routine: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=146
It's Maki's Big Three routine (a smart routine from a smart man, eh?). It's basically a full body routine done three days a week. One day is for mass, another for recovery and the last one is for strength. I'm following it for the most part, but the lifts I'm using will be: Squat, Deadlift, Wide grip Chin up, barbell rows, bench press, dips, and the military press. My only concern is that I won't see much growth on my arms, so I plan to use narrow grip on the bench press (powerlifting style?) and on barbell rows. Here are my 1rm's (in pounds):

-Squat - 125
-Deadlift - 200
-Chin Ups - 123 for a few reps
-Barbell Rows - 100
-Bench Press - 115
-Dips - 123 for a few reps
-Military Press - 80

I'm thinking of adding calf raises and ab work once per week as well, though my goal is to gain 15 pounds (muscle and fat) before the new year. Hell, I'll aim for 20.

COMMENTS/GENIUS
Laying in bed all day is good. Too good.

Spartan936
08-16-2004, 08:11 PM
DATE
8-16-04

SLEEP
7 Hours

WATER
1.5 liters. An intelligent-sounding guess.

DIET
Calories at 2670. Seems to be working... Ate brown rice, organic chicken, organic eggs, veggies, and some strange rice milk/blueberry/protein powder concoction... it was like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" in a drink. Weird.

EXERCISE
All 2 sets of 15 reps:

-Squat - 60
-Deadlift - 90
-Chin Ups - 60
-Barbell Rows - 55
-Bench Press - 55
-Dips - 55
-Military Press - 40

Yes it's part of the program. It's an "Active Recovery Day". Don't I feel scientific.

COMMENTS/GENIUS
Every minute not busy being born is busy dieing.

dissipate
08-17-2004, 04:11 AM
lol diet sounds nice and clean.

Spartan936
08-18-2004, 10:09 AM
DATE
Whoa. I don't know.

SLEEP
9 hours. I was a tired boy.

WATER
2 liters or so.

DIET
Nice. I've come to the conclusion that I was and still am an under-eater. Therefore, I bought some weight gain / maltodextrin to supplement my daily calories. I had 4000 yesterday. Ate brown rice, olive oil, fish, broccoli (did I spell that right?), and other shtuff.

EXERCISE
Heavy day
2 sets of 3 reps
Squat: 110
Deadlift: 170
Bent Over Rows: 100
Chin Ups: Bodyweight (12 reps)
Bench Press: 100
Dips: Bodyweight (7 reps)
Military Press: 75

COMMENTS/GENIUS
Oh, its the 18th of August.
Still having problems with females, er... female. It's one of those situations where she sounds interested, but probably isn't.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"Woman was God's second mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

lol

–ragons
08-18-2004, 10:18 AM
ull have to watch the females dont distract u from your goals :p
its easy when they want to tie u down :P

Spartan936
08-18-2004, 10:25 AM
You're right Dragons. So right, in fact, that I'm going to have to disregard what you've said and continue being a moron with teh ladies.

dissipate
08-30-2004, 03:56 AM
eh spartan.. where did you go??

dissipate
10-12-2004, 09:22 AM
out of the abyss - WHERE ARE YOU!??!#@)%@_#%