PDA

View Full Version : store bought eggs vs. farm eggs

10-18-2001, 01:01 PM
farm eggs contain more nutrients, and are all around better for us to eat then store bought. True or false?

And is there any difference between brown eggs and white eggs other than the obvious?

Tryska
10-18-2001, 01:03 PM
farm eggs are free range...so yeah they tend to have better nutrtional value in my opinion, because of the diets of the chickens involved.

as for brown v white..no difference. if i'm not mistaken the color of the eggs is dependent on the variety of chicken.

syntekz
10-18-2001, 01:39 PM
Ya; you can get brown, white, speckled, whatever. It's all the same.

hemants
10-18-2001, 02:20 PM
The only difference in eggs comes from what the chickens were fed.

eg. Omega three eggs are from chickens fed flax seeds and thus have a slightly higher omega three content.

Store bought vs farm is not really the issue, unless the farm is free range organic and/or feeds the chickens something special. There may also be issues with antibiotics but I don't know what and how to quantify these.

Brown vs white is also a non-issue as far as I know.

IceRgrrl
10-18-2001, 03:14 PM
You're right, the color of the shell doesn't matter...what's inside is the same, depending on what the chicken was fed.

If you're making hard-boiled eggs, farm eggs tend to be "fresher" (haven't sat around as long as store eggs) and that means they won't peel as easily...that's the only difference that I've experienced....

Allie
10-18-2001, 07:14 PM
Technically the only difference in farm fresh eggs vs store bought eggs is the color of the shell. Yes that depends on the breed and variety of the chicken. As for the nutrient value. Well on average they are all the same. Some farm will let there chickens go free range while others keep them around for egg production like commercial farms. So on a whole the nutritional value is about the same.

So unless you know you are getting eggs from a free range source, there really isn't any difference other than freshness.