PDA

View Full Version : snacking on protein bars and jerky

krazcanuk
06-27-2004, 09:48 PM
jerky = lots of sodium
protein bars = sugars

Do you consider these foods ok as snacks in moderation?

JeffWillConquer
06-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Was there a question?

If the question was should you snack on jerky and protein bars...I say why not?

Max-Mex
06-28-2004, 10:57 AM
I consider protein bars and anything like it (PowerBars, etc) more of an after workout snack. Jerky is just an all around snack. Yes lots of salt but in moderation, it's ok.

T_Chapman
06-28-2004, 11:43 AM
unless youre one of those health freaks lol jerky is ok.

TGame
06-28-2004, 11:44 AM
I agree with the protein bars for an after workout snack, I usually have a clif bar, zone perfect or powerbar with a banana after my workouts. Jerky I eat sometimes for a before bed snack.

T_Chapman
06-28-2004, 11:48 AM
I consider protein bars and anything like it (PowerBars, etc) more of an after workout snack. Jerky is just an all around snack. Yes lots of salt but in moderation, it's ok.

are you sure its okay to eat protein bar right after your workout when your body is dying to absorb protein? protein bars have more fat than just a shake and people always talk about making the protein absorbtion faster by taking dextrose and stuff.

Max-Mex
06-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Fat and protien content depends on the bar. Most of the ones I've seen are high in simple carbs (sugar). If I had to choose between dextrose and a bar, I'd pick dextrose. However, since I very rarely have that choice, the bar is the next best thing. Even though it's a good idea to get some protien after your workout, it's a lot better to get some simple carbs right away.

Holto
06-29-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm a health freak and I see low sodium organic Jerky in some health shops

the bars are major offenders

trans fats
softeners
sweeteners

theTri-O-Plex is one of the healthiest and even it has sucralose

zepata
06-29-2004, 11:48 AM
i wouldnt worry about the sugar unless your doing a real hardcore cut
i eat jerky all the time, but its getting too damn expensive, otherwise, i'd say go for it and not worry as much about the sodium, though it is up there.