PDA

View Full Version : need help on new diet

tallnslim
06-27-2004, 11:03 PM
I have been working out for a few years now, and have made some real progress. I have gained 35 lbs (from 140 to about 175), but I think I am at a plateau. I'm guessing it's because of my eating habits, since I have already done the whole resting thing. Anyway, here's my new diet I worked out. Any advice will definately be helpful. Thanks.

Meal 1: 9:00 A.M.
Banana, yogurt, orange juice, milk - 490 cal.

Meal 2: 11:30 A.M.
Protein shake, cereal, protein bar - 590 cal.

Meal 3: 3:00 P.M.
Protein shake, creatine, yogurt shake - 730 cal.

Meal 4: 6:00 P.M.
Turkey/Chicken/Beef meal, milk - 770 cal.

Meal 5: 8:30 P.M.
Protein shake (N-large), banana shake - 1,010 cal.

Meal 6: 11:30 P.M.
Yogurt, fiber drink, 2 orange juice - 410 cal.

Total: 4,000 cal.

By the way, I know I may be relying too much on dairy, given the amount of shakes. Is there anything besides meat that I should substitute it with (too much meat makes me feel kinda sick)?

T_Chapman
06-27-2004, 11:20 PM
if i were you i would take protein shake the minute i wake up because your body is catabolic.

JeffWillConquer
06-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Seems like a lot of shakes and not a lot of actual food. Aren't you gonna be hungry? You're only eating solid food for one meal, the rest is yogurt and shakes. Although the cals look good and the protein is probably very high. not many EFA's in there either.

Aspect
06-30-2004, 09:02 AM
You seem to be concentrating on piling in the protein, but I wonder if you actually need as much as you're planning to consume. 3 protein shakes per day, a protein bar, milk, meat... do you have a rough idea how much protein that'll be? I'm guessing it'll be well over 300g per day. At 175lbs body weight, I very much doubt you need any more than 200g. If you're aiming for 4000 cals, I'd imagine that 200g protein, 130g fat and 500g carbs might be a better rough idea for a breakdown, ideally getting much of the fat from non-animal sources (whether that's fish, nuts, seeds, plant oils or whatever).

Perhaps you might be better off dropping the protein down a little, and adding some extra fats and carbs. A second "real meal" in place of a "liquid meal", based around some starchy carbs and including some vegetables and probably with some "good fats", would give you more balance, help ensure you got enough fibre, vitamins and minerals etc., and would be a lot more interesting than drinking most of your meals. Of course, if you have good reason to take most of your calories as liquid then that's fair enough.

For exmaple, you might have a raw salad with olive oil, some wholemeal bread, and a piece of fish or some meat. Or some steamed veg with fish and potatoes. Or a pasta meal with tomato-based sauce. Or cereal with some nuts and seeds.

To answer your question on alternatives to meat, do you like fish? Considering the low amount of fat in your diet, particularly unsaturated fats, perhaps you could consider eating some oily fish a few times per week (salmon, trout, or whatever other oily fish you prefer). I'd also say that nuts and seeds could be used to get some protein while giving you some healthy fats.

All that said, it comes down to what works for you. Probably the most important thing is finding a plan that you'll stick to. If liquid meals and lots of proetin shakes will keep you piling in the calories, then go for it. But be honest, and if it'll bore you after a month then you need to come up with an alternative.

Good luck!

geoffgarcia
06-30-2004, 09:08 AM
Considering the low amount of fat in your diet, particularly unsaturated fats, perhaps you could consider eating some oily fish a few times per week (salmon, trout, or whatever other oily fish you prefer). I'd also say that nuts and seeds could be used to get some protein while giving you some healthy fats.
yah, mang, where ur fats at?!!

Kal-El
07-02-2004, 05:44 AM
Isn't a liquid diet key in cutting up? I heard Thomas Jane of the Punisher flicke was on a liquid diet for 6 months to get his look for the movie. Anyone have a FIVE DAY food plan handy for mass gain? I can't have cereal EVERY day for breakfast, you know what I mean?

Aspect
07-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Kal-El, I think tallnslim is looking to add weight, rather than lose it. However, I don't think a liquid diet is necessary to cut - what matters is eating fewer calories than you burn (ideally without a massive deficit - you're best off losing the weight slowly to minimise lean mass losses). That's not to say they can't work, just that they're by no means essential.

For mass gain the opposite is true - you need to eat more than you burn. When you talk about a "five day plan", I assume you want to eat more on five days of the week and eat more normally on the other two? If this is the case, you simply need to make sure that, over the course of the week, your average intake is high enough to promote growth.

Say for example that you needed an average of 3,500 calories per day to gain. It doesn't matter too much if you eat 3,500 every day, or you eat 3,800 for five days a week and 2,750 the other two. I'd imagine that having wild swings in intake would be counterproductive, but allowing your intake to vary like this shouldn't matter, as long as you consume enough food over the long term.

As far as specific plans go, you really need to sort out what you eat based on what you like. To add lots of muscle takes a long time, so you need to eat right over a long time. You'll only do that if you enjoy your food (or are extraordinarily disciplined). Make a list of the foods you like, maybe referring to the what a bodybuilder eats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565) thread for inspiration, and eat a variety of these foods in the right quantities. Do this long-term and train hard, and you'll grow.

AllUp
07-02-2004, 11:50 AM
I have been working out for a few years now, and have made some real progress. I have gained 35 lbs (from 140 to about 175), but I think I am at a plateau. I'm guessing it's because of my eating habits, since I have already done the whole resting thing. Anyway, here's my new diet I worked out. Any advice will definately be helpful. Thanks.

Meal 1: 9:00 A.M.
Banana, yogurt, orange juice, milk - 490 cal.

Meal 2: 11:30 A.M.
Protein shake, cereal, protein bar - 590 cal.

Meal 3: 3:00 P.M.
Protein shake, creatine, yogurt shake - 730 cal.

Meal 4: 6:00 P.M.
Turkey/Chicken/Beef meal, milk - 770 cal.

Meal 5: 8:30 P.M.
Protein shake (N-large), banana shake - 1,010 cal.

Meal 6: 11:30 P.M.
Yogurt, fiber drink, 2 orange juice - 410 cal.

Total: 4,000 cal.

When are you working out? If its not in the morning I would ditch the OJ in meal-1 as it will result in an insulin spike when you wake up. Maybe have it closer to WO time.

Meal2 looks ok
Meal3 ok
Meal4 ok, I'd even get some of the meat from meal 4 and incorporate it into meal2.
Meal5 is ok
meal6 personally, I'd remove the OJ from this meal and have it closer to WO time. Post WO most likely.

Like others mentioned - maybe get more solid food in there. :)