PDA

View Full Version : Protien Intake VS Protien Absorption & Waste

Fever
06-28-2004, 01:14 PM
There is really no definitive guide out when i comes to protien intake vs absorption. I am extremely confused, and I was hoping someone could help me with this.

I read on a website today... and I lost the link, but it said that 99% of protien eaten gets digested. How ever another site said that only so much protien will be used by the body at any given time based on the bodies need, and the rest will be waste.

Is what I read accurate? If it is then eating to much protien at the wrong time would just be waste. It would also mean that there are specific times to eat protien, and different types of protien based on speed of digestion/transfer to the bodies current demand.

I think I might be getting ahead of myself...

Paul Stagg
06-28-2004, 01:26 PM
You are.

You 'use' virtually everything you eat. There is not a limit on the amount of protein you can 'use'.

There is very little reason to worry about what kind of protein you eat, other than ensuring you take in all of the essential amino acids (which isn't an issue, AFAIK, if you are eating animal protein.)

Lift heavy stuff, eat lots of good food, rest, repeat.

Maxgain
06-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Protein will not be wasted in the literal sense but in the sense that excess will be used for energy instead of the wanted muscle synthesis. How much will be used for synthesis depends on a no. of factors such as body needs current nitrogen balance type of protein etc

mickyjune26
07-11-2005, 09:24 AM
i have heard that your body can only utilize 30 - 40 grams of protein in one meal. The rest is converted to energy.

Is this true.

if so, what form of energy is it? Glucose?

TheGimp
07-11-2005, 09:57 AM
i have heard that your body can only utilize 30 - 40 grams of protein in one meal. The rest is converted to energy.

Is this true.

I would say it depends on so many factors it is impossible to determine. If you eat significant quantities of protein in one sitting I think it is naive to assume it will all be used for muscle building. As to what is "significant", just spread out your protein intake over the day.

Yes it's glucose, converted from the amino acids via the process called gluconeogenesis.

mickyjune26
07-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the update. I don't know what is more fun - learning about the body or seeing the results.
...probably the results, but this is still cool.

bradley
07-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Is this true.

Depends on what type of protein you are referring to. Whey will digest rapidly and excess would more likely be used for energy, but whole foods would be less likely because the rate of digestion would be slower. It really is not something I would be concerned about. Just eat enough protein, EFAs and focus on the total amount of calories consumed.

ShockBoxer
08-09-2005, 10:32 AM
I was told last night by an employee at the gym (the one who oversees the healthy lifestyle portion) that I needed at least 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM for weight training but she also said that just eating everything protein based in sight wouldn't cut it: That I'd end up peeing most of it out.

I do notice that I have to urinate more often after a can of tuna and that, well, it smells strongly of tuna so it got me thinking about it.

Search being busted I couldn't get a large consensus on this.

mickyjune26
08-10-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure. I have a HIT book that says that you only need 90grams/protein a day, but mostly everyone in this site says 180 grams. I wonder if its not as much about the amount you eat, but that your body has a steady stream of it available. Maybe 90/day would cut it if we spread it out over 8 meals?

Unreal
08-10-2005, 09:59 AM
1g/lbm.

If you weight 90lbs, then sure, 90g is fine.

Minotaur
08-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Just eat the damn protein, lift the damn bar, rest, and grow! :rolleyes:

DarthDave
08-22-2005, 03:11 PM
According to Dave Grotto, R.D. from Mens Health, a typcial weightlifter only needs 30 grams of protein a day. He goes on to say that protein provdes 4 calories per gram so whatever our bodies are nto using will become extra baggage.

I always heard and go by that 1 g of protein per 1 lb of weight.

What do you guys think?

Canadian Crippler
08-22-2005, 03:19 PM
My glutes probably couldn't hypertrophy on 30g of protein a day, lol. Men Health is junk, stick to about 1xbodyweight in grams of protein.

malkore
08-22-2005, 03:42 PM
According to Dave Grotto, R.D. from Mens Health, a typcial weightlifter only needs 30 grams of protein a day. He goes on to say that protein provdes 4 calories per gram so whatever our bodies are nto using will become extra baggage.

What do you guys think?

Ahh yes, Men's Health, the epitome of bodybuilding...

Yes, the typical fancy boy who follow's the Men's Health workouts probably does only need 30g of soy protein a day.

The rest of us (yourself included) will continue with our 1g per lb. of LBM, and will laugh at the Men's Health subscriber doing hours of isolation curls while we squat poundages unfathomable to him.

ShockBoxer
08-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Look at it this way... 30 grams of protein is 120 calories, right? What are you supposed to fill the rest with? Carbs and fat? Health places recommend no more than 85 grams of fat, too... so that's almost 1000 calories. The other one to three thousand the typical person around here eats supposed to come from carbs?

Paul Stagg
08-22-2005, 04:08 PM

What do you guys think?

I think reading mens health is catabolic.

I think 30g a day is lower than the already far too low for athletes RDA. Unless the typical weightlifter is a very underweight midget, then he might be right.

I think any RD worth his salt would know that amounts of macronutrients vary pretty substantially by individual, making such a claim pretty stupid.

shansen008
08-22-2005, 04:42 PM

What do you guys think?

My god who gives these guys degrees? Its reefer madness i tell you.

sharkall2003
08-22-2005, 04:49 PM
30 grams hahahaa, I get that much in a bowl of cereal.

mickyjune26
08-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I think reading mens health is catabolic.

Lol.

djreef
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
sh*t, I need 30 grams a day for 3 days just to repair one lat after 450lb deads.

DJ

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-23-2005, 12:36 PM
According to Dave Grotto, R.D. from Mens Health, a typcial weightlifter only needs 30 grams of protein a day.He needs to STFU and go back to school. Every person I've talked to in the field of nutrition would say that man is a complete dumb ass. 30 grams? WTF? I think there's a 100% chance that this guy doesn't work out. Otherwise, he'd be seeing that his advice is ****.

mickyjune26
08-23-2005, 12:42 PM
sCaRz. Cool avatar.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-23-2005, 04:04 PM
sCaRz. Cool avatar.Thanks. :)

sh*t, I need 30 grams a day for 3 days just to repair one lat after 450lb deads.lol Yeah, or one bicep.