PDA

View Full Version : What to Eat Before/After Cardio While on Low Carb Diet

thetopdog
06-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I've been having a good deal of success with a low carb diet. Mon-Friday I eat very low carbs then refeed on the weekends. I've dropped over 10 pounds in the past 6 weeks this way (probably too much weight too fast, but I'm impatient)

I'm planning on doing some cardio tonight and I was wondering if I should eat some carbs (possibly an apple or peach), drink a protein shake/eat a can of salmon or tuna or consume both carbs and protein before or after the cardio. I was thinking that if I dont' have any carbs before the cardio, my body would be forced to burn fat (and possibly muscle) while I'm doing it. Would it be wise to drink a protein shake after to help reduce muscle catabolism? Or do I need carbs as well as protein after the workout?

This is what I've eaten so far today:

Meal 1-Western Omelette
Meal 2-6 egg whites
Meal 3-Can of Salmon

I'm not planning on doing any weight training today, it's my day off

Jasonl
06-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Whey will help shift you out of ketosis, much like carbs would as whey provkoes an insulin response. If you don't care about ketosis, some dextrose+whey would be good before and after, just a small amount though. Otherwise, a can of tuna or something along those lines would be fine too.

thetopdog
06-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Whey will help shift you out of ketosis, much like carbs would as whey provkoes an insulin response. If you don't care about ketosis, some dextrose+whey would be good before and after, just a small amount though. Otherwise, a can of tuna or something along those lines would be fine too.

I'm not technically on a keto diet, because I've been to lazy to read up about it and properly plan one out (I know, that's bad =() but I've probably been going in and out of ketosis on a fairly regular basis considering that many days I eat virtually no carbs from maybe 7pm one day until noon or later the next day

I just find cutting carbs out to be pretty easy (the worst part is the inconvenience of having to eat foods with no carbs in them, i don't really care about taste). I don't feel any less energetic when I don't eat carbs and I dont' really crave them (well, I do, but I can usually hold off till the weekend refeed). I did notice that eating carbs (usually a fruit) before a weight training session allows me to lift a significant amount more than I can if I eat barely any carbs right before