PDA

View Full Version : Cardio While Recovering from Overtraining?

Hercule
06-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Hey guys,
Been dieting seriously for a while now. Lost 60lbs. in 7 months. My extreme dieting coupled w/ my high volume training has caused me to enter a state of extreme over training. My lifts have suffered so bad its not even funny, I get hardly any sleep and naps are impossible, and I always feel run down. I am going to take 2 weeks off from weightlifting to try to recover. Would it be okay to still do cardio to keep losing weight during my two weeks off from training? I do about five 30 minute sessions a week. Opinions?

Jasonl
06-28-2004, 08:50 PM
In my opinon, you should just do nothing and eat at maint. cals for those two weeks.

Scott S
06-28-2004, 09:44 PM
I agree.

Max-Mex
06-28-2004, 10:34 PM
I'd say cut down but not completely out. Maybe max 3 sessions.

ryuage
06-29-2004, 03:34 AM
id say complete rest!

Augury
06-29-2004, 04:54 AM
This dosnt seem to be a case of "i think i might be overtaining, my lifts are on a slide"...this seems to be your body telling you in no uncertain terms that you have overtrained and its not happy.

Eat at maintenance (i would actually be tempted to eat perhaps at maintenance +10%) so your body and nervous system have what they need to recover nutrients wise. Rest. Dont go running unless you go stir crazy. At least rest for one full week...then see how you feel about jogging in week 2.. You need a break dude.

When you are recovered, hit it hard again, but with less volume and take care not to under eat too much. I know you are trying to lose fat but if you go at it too fast this can be the result. Slow and steady wins the race.

Augs

Paul Stagg
06-29-2004, 07:23 AM
Maybe do some fun active stuff, but I agree with the above that I wouldn't do anything structured for at least a week.