PDA

View Full Version : Bulking - the best ways

bigedge
10-19-2001, 01:55 AM
whats the best way to go about bulking??
any suggestions are appreciated thanks

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-19-2001, 03:06 AM
eat lots.

Wizard
10-19-2001, 05:40 AM
Eat lots of carbs.That's essential.
Lots of fat is not.

the doc
10-19-2001, 05:49 AM
how bout this

100-200 g carb/day Mainly post workout
Fill in the rest of the cals with protein and fat

organize your meals such that meals high in carbs are low in fat
those that are high in protein should be moderate in fat

you dont want to consume fat whilst insulin levels are high

eat 500-1000 cals over maintainence levels

Wizard
10-19-2001, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by the doc
how bout this

100-200 g carb/day Mainly post workout
Fill in the rest of the cals with protein and fat

organize your meals such that meals high in carbs are low in fat
those that are high in protein should be moderate in fat

you dont want to consume fat whilst insulin levels are high

eat 500-1000 cals over maintainence levels

Like a modifyed TKD?
It's a good idea but it's gonna be tough.

syntekz
10-19-2001, 08:05 AM
damn. I'm eating around 270 carbs/day and im about to up that to 300 and and up my fat to about 80 (its 60 something now).

100 carbs isn't much for bulking i wouldn't think. 1.5 cups of oatmeal and that's all your cabrs right there. tuttut

nejar462
10-19-2001, 09:27 AM
Also, look to red meats and such as well, they're great for bulking, use that in addition to fish and chicken.

the doc
10-19-2001, 09:29 AM
yea wizard, Sort of like that. You could up the carbs some more if you want, say up to 250 of complex low gi carbs (except =post workout)

the main thing is to not consume fatty meals containing carbs
concentrate your carb consumption post workout if you can
have things like protein/fat/low carb (like eggs)
or
have mod protein/high carb meal (say chicken breast with sweetpotatoes)

for a 3000 cal diet is would be more isocaloric over the day and week

MA- 100 g is plenty of carbs when your in an overall calorie surplus

Wizard
10-19-2001, 12:05 PM
That's really great,indeed. :cool:

I strongly believe that seperating carbs from fats is essential no matter if you want to bulk or cut up.

This way you get all the advantages from eating carbs and fats.

beercan
10-19-2001, 12:41 PM
My best results from bulking came from eating about 4 double whoppers a week, 3 heavyweightgainer900 shakes mixed with milk a day, and cell tech (yup) post training....

This was in addition to several cans of tuna, eggs, ground beef, whatever I wanted pretty much haha

Wizard
10-19-2001, 12:54 PM
"Eat big to get big" ;)

Bax
10-19-2001, 01:26 PM
Drink beer, be like Arnold:D

the doc
10-19-2001, 03:27 PM
lol
I wish all dieticians were like beercan

Maki Riddington
10-19-2001, 07:01 PM
I eat high carb, high fat and high potein.
:D

D-13
10-19-2001, 09:40 PM
eat at least 3g carbs per pound of bodyweight, around 1g pro, and about .35-.40g fat per lb, divide over 4-6 meals. i'd say, pre training, eat a 2:1 carb/ pro ratio, wait 1.5-2 hrs, lift as intensly as you can [ no more than an hr]stretch for 10 min after liftin, and cosume a shake with a 3:1 carb/pro ratio [ex. 105g c/35g p] immediatly after stretchin [take shake to gym with you]2hrs later, eat another 2.5:1 ratio meal, then every 3 hrs eat a 2:1 meal.if your a real hardgainer, up the carbs and fat slightly

YatesNightBlade
10-20-2001, 07:03 AM
You can't force feed muscle growth !!! You'll just get fat. Finding th optimum is the answer.

beercan
10-20-2001, 10:49 AM
PS, yates, I got damn fat LOL

But not just fat, I put on a good amount of muscle as well...

YatesNightBlade
10-22-2001, 02:22 AM
of course you did, but there was an opimum to find. All the excess was the fat you taked about.

beercan
10-22-2001, 07:41 AM
Yup, that's the trick bro....I'm still looking for that magic # of cals that works for me...

Reinier
10-23-2001, 09:47 AM
"you dont want to consume fat whilst insulin levels are high "

please explain, never heard this one

Tryska
10-23-2001, 09:51 AM
because insulin promotes fat storage.

well...okay lemme explain it this way.....when your blood sugar is high, insulin is released from your pancreas to remove that sugar from your blood. It does this by activating insulin receptors on cells, and pushing that sugar into muscle cells as glycogen, and then when those are full, into fat cells, where it gets converted.

so...if you eat fat whilst your insulin is high...you take one step out of the process, the gates are wide open on those fat cells, and the fat will be taken from the blood and stored directly into them.

makes sense?

Budiak
10-24-2001, 06:59 PM
I am right now on my third week of my first successful bulk. I am retaining my body fat level, roughly, and adding a small amount of muscle. I have no problem with this, I refuse to get fat again.

I basically upped my carbs a lot without upping my fat. I know its not easy. I weigh 150 lbs at 5'6", and I am eating about 200-230g carbs, 135-160g protein, and maybe 30-40g fat, mostly from natural peanut butter and oatmeal.

Sayiajin Prince
10-24-2001, 11:52 PM
i eat lots of carbs protien and fats too, hehe
BUT
i find that after working out i eat much more than on an off day when my metabolism is a bit slower, which might be a good maitnance plan:

lots post work out for 24 hours, after thats up ur metabolism should go down, then eat lots but not as much.

Marcel
10-25-2001, 04:22 PM
Dang bro please go read Chris Mason's post on bulking. Don't bulk by just eating and eating everything in sight. Find your maintenance level and then add some calories. I don't think you want your bodyfat to get too high you know what I mean? About the percentages I would say eat what you feel most comfortable with. If you like high carbs eat high carbs but I think that's better for "hardgainers." It all really comes down to calories consumed to calories burned. So figues out your calories first then go ahead and add some like 200 for example. Laterz!

Marcel
10-25-2001, 04:27 PM
Here is Chris Mason's post. I think it's great and easy for anyone to understand.:cool:

Originally posted by Chris Mason
As many of the posts here alluded to, it depends on how one defines bulking. If you define it as eating everything in sight with no regards to bodyfat gain, then it is a negative thing, unless you wish to compete as a super heavyweight powerlifter or a strongman. You see, as one adds bodyfat on an uncontrolled diet, assuming weightlifting is practiced, muscle is added with the fat. That is good. The amount of muscle added in this fashion is maximal in relation to what the body is capable of. That is also good. The problem lies in the fact that 2 negatives occur. First, lots of bodyfat is also added on this sort of program. Excess bodyfat is considered by most to be unattractive, and it is definitely not healthy. Second, bad eating habits get developed. These habits make losing bodyfat a very difficult proposition. This develops into a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and unhealthy fat levels for most people. Of course, eating everything in sight is very enjoyable for most, this is the reason that many of the pros tend to gain a lot of weight in the off-season as was mentioned above. They developed bad eating habits as they were coming up and therefore have to rely on extremely restrictive diets pre-contest to lose the unwanted bodyfat. These diets then create massive cravings which the bodybuilder satisfies post diet. They then baloon back up to their former bodyfat levels and the whole process starts over. This whole phenomena is part of the reason that most bodybuilders are faddists when it comes to diets. If a more reasonable plan was followed year round, the bodybuilder could eat more normally (i.e. not just tuna, rice, chicken breasts etc.) even when in a pre-contest mode.
Now, another definition of "bulking" may be to add sufficient calories to the diet to continually allow for muscular growth, but without adding excessive amounts of bodyfat. This method is superior to the above method because it does not encourage the formation of poor eating habits, less bodyfat is added, and the bodybuilder does not have to lose a lot of his/her hard earned muscle during an extended super-strict precontest diet. During this type of bulking diet, the bodybuilder is allowed liberal consumption of foods as far as type (i.e. fats, sugars etc.), as long as the total calorie consumption stays within prescribed limits. In other words, a bodybuilder may be in a "bulking" stage and consuming 4000 calories per day. He can eat basically whatever he desires as long as the diet is varied and stays within the 4000 calorie range. As the diet progresses, the bodybuilder will watch for excessive fat buildup and adjust his diet accordingly. If excessive fat buildup is noticed, he will reduce his daily intake by 200 calories per day and then observe the results. If gains in the gym continue, but the fat buildup subsides, he knows he has hit the right calorie count. If the fat buildup ceases, but gym progress also ceases, he knows he is concuming too little and needs to bump a bit. This add/remove cycle continues until the next contest is looming in the near future.

Hope this helps.

TvR8oRage
10-25-2001, 08:25 PM
bulking

carbs = 2.5g per lb of bodyweight
pro = 1.5g per lb of bodyweight
fat = 0.5 per lb of bodyweight

shopping list

Oatmeal, potatoes, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread
maltodextrein powder is good for post workout drinks
RED MEAT, chicken, Tuna, Whey shakes flax oil peanut butter
eggs, egg beaters