PDA

View Full Version : Sugary drink subsitution

Stephen Riddington
06-30-2004, 12:15 AM
I don't drink soda pop at home except at work, where I'll have a small glass. Sometimes at home, I get really irritated when I don't get a sugar rush. Ice cream doesn't work at all. Sometimes I couldn't eat dinner, because I feel a need of some sugary drink to go with it. I feel full if I eat it straight.

Protein powders don't work either.

Is Kool Aid or Diet Kool Aid ok???? How about powdered Gatorade????

If both are bad, I may consider buying the natural apple juice despite the cost.

IdaMAN
06-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Try Crystal Light.It is a little Expensive, but it tastes good and is healthy,and harmless.

Aspect
06-30-2004, 09:16 AM
If you're getting irritated and need a sugary drink, it's a sign that your blood sugar is too low. The sugary drink gets sugar into the bloodstream quickly and makes you feel better almost straight away. This is very similar to what happens to diabetics when they inject too much insulin and have a hypoglycaemic attack.

If you're concerned about drinking a sugary drink at home, perhaps you're better off eating a small snack (e.g. a piece of fruit) about an hour before you normally feel the need for the drink. For example, if you eat lunch at say 1pm, then have your dinner at 6pm but generally feel the need for sugar at that time, then try eating a small carbohydrate-based snack at 4pm or 5pm. Or, if your meals are already relatively close together (e.g. you eat every 2-3 hours), then maybe you need to eat slower-releasing carbs at your meals.

Out of interest, the reason ice cream doesn't work to alleviate the feeling is that it contains fat, which slows absorption of the sugar into the bloodstream. You need a small amount of a sugary product which contains no fat, which is why soft drinks work so well. Any pure fruit juice would work equally well and be equally effective, as would dextrose tablets or simple refined sugar mixed in water (though it wouldn't taste as nice!) You only need a small amount though - bank on around 10g or so of sugar (so that's 2 or 3 dextrose tablets, a small glass of fruit juice, half a normal can of soda etc.)

Also note that any diet drinks probably wouldn't be any use as they contain no sugar, just artificial sweetners.

Finally, if this happens regularly and you feel that you already eat enough carbs, then it may be worth a chat with your doctor, to rule out hypoglycaemia. It's unlikely that you have the condition, but it is possible. If you're unduly concerned, get it checked out. If you want any more information (e.g. other symptoms etc.), post again or PM me.

Stephen Riddington
06-30-2004, 11:24 AM
So basically, the "feeling" I get is a result of lack of carbs???

Aspect
06-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah, basically. Or the wrong sort of carbs (e.g. eating too many sugary carbs with too long in between meals).

If you go a long time without eating carbs, and particularly if you do anything energetic at the same time, your blood sugar can drop, and you feel irritated and in need of some sugar. You may also feel a little shaky, you may feel suddenly a bit hot (or you may feel cold and clammy), you might find your speech is a bit slurred or mumbled.

As I said, the best way around this is to eat some carbs regularly (every few hours). It needn't be much, just enough to stabalise your blood sugar.

If you want, feel free to post your typical diet (including times you eat) and we'll see if there are any times when you're likely to have this problem.

Stephen Riddington
06-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Breakfast: whatever I can find, usually bacon, eggs and toast.

Lunch: if I can remember to eat something

Dinner: Eat whatever served on the table.

Basically, my diet sucks at the moment, since I'm recovering from a common cold virus, which took me more than 2 weeks to shake it off.

Aspect
06-30-2004, 04:09 PM
And do you feel the need for sugary drinks the most on days when you skip lunch? If so, then there's your answer - don't skip lunch!

I know it can be difficult, but eating regularly throughout the day is important for everyone, and even more important when you're training. Even if you have to skip a meal (which you should try to avoid), try to have something small to tide you over until you can get a proper feed in. You'll find it helps prevent this craving for sugar, and you'll probably feel better in other ways (perhaps less tired, more alert etc.) And of course, if you're bulking it's tough to hit your target calories if you miss a meal...

Stephen Riddington
06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
I know... to me bulking is a b*tch.