PDA

View Full Version : beer helps bulk?

OiBoy
06-30-2004, 11:40 PM
I've always had trouble putting on weight. I've tried weight gainers (N-Large), eating alot... but nothing seemed to work. I'll I wanted was too gain weight, but I couldn't. I have a really skinny build...

Anyway, summer started and I stopped working out and startied to party alot. I've been drinking alot of beer and one day I weighed myself. I had gained 15 lbs in one month. I don't seem to have a "beer gut" I'm just bigger. If I started working out while having a few beers a day could this hurt me? It would help right, cause once weight is gained it is easy to turn it into muscle, the hard part for me was actually gaining it...

I was 120 now I am 135.

One more thing, I have been eating alot but nothing more than when I was bulking... so I'm thinking that all those beers helped me gain. When I was bulking I ate and ate until I couldn't anymore. So I figure that with eating alot (and having a couple of beers a day) that's the perfect solution.

Opinions??

Saint Patrick
06-30-2004, 11:42 PM
I don't recommend beer for bulking. I suggest food :)

IdaMAN
06-30-2004, 11:44 PM
A beer gut is just a myth btw.

OiBoy
06-30-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm eating a ton... I'm just drinking as well now that's the change from before...

And for once I gained weight.

Saint Patrick
06-30-2004, 11:52 PM
The weight gain from beer is because of added calories.

Do what you want, I'm just saying that MORE food would be a better source of extra calories.

wrestlemaniac
07-01-2004, 01:30 AM
Beer belly tends to sneak up on you. It may seem normal now but in 3 or 4 more months you'll be asking yourself where you went wrong. Also, the idea of converting fat to muscle is a myth.

IdaMAN
07-01-2004, 02:00 AM
http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Archives/Show_Article/0,1275,4461,00.html

wrestlemaniac
07-01-2004, 04:02 AM
thousands of extra calories + serious dehydration + serious damage to the liver = fat gain (as well as a few other side effects most bodybuilders would like to avoid). Of course drinking less than excessivly won't make you fat but thats like saying eating chocolate bars won't make you fat... as long as you don't eat too many.

IdaMAN
07-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Is the Beer Gut a Myth? Study Finds Drinking May Not Lead to Weight Gain

By Jacob Gaffney

Going on a diet may be called for now and then, but giving up your regular glass of wine or beer as part of a new health kick may not be necessary, according to new research on the relationship between alcohol consumption and body fat.

The study, from the State University of New York at Buffalo, found that moderate drinking generally did not result in a fatter stomach -- the phenomenon known as the "beer gut." Among the participants, wine drinkers tended to be the thinnest, even more so than nondrinkers. Beer drinking was unrelated to one's waist size, according to the report in the Journal of Nutrition. However, liquor drinkers tended to have more body fat than abstainers.

The researchers interviewed 2,343 men and women -- aged 35 to 79, from western New York -- in detail about their drinking habits over the previous 30 days and their lifestyle, including smoking, exercise and diet. The scientists also measured the subjects' body-mass index and abdominal height -- the distance from the spine to the top of the stomach.

Comparing beverage preferences with abdominal height found that wine drinkers had the smallest average "stomach curve" -- for both men and women, about a centimeter shorter than nondrinkers. However, the authors noted, wine drinkers also exercised more and ate a healthier diet. Beer drinkers' guts protruded no more or less than nondrinkers on average. Spirits drinkers tended to be the pudgiest of the groups.

The amount and frequency of consumption was also connected to body fat. "Participants with the most intense drinking, more than four drinks in a drinking day, but on a sporadic basis, had some of the largest abdominal heights," the researchers reported.

Frequent light to moderate consumption was linked with less fat. Men and women who consumed either less than one drink a day or one to two drinks daily generally had smaller stomachs than those who drank alcohol once or twice a week or less than weekly -- and were up to 2 centimeters thinner than nondrinkers. Those who had between two and four drinks a day were also thinner than nondrinkers, but similar in size to those who drank only weekly.

LightningandIce
07-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Alcohol thins your blood. Whether it helps you gain weight or not, I don't know. But I do know it thins your blood. If your blood pressure gets too high you could blow a vein. You shouldn't drink AT ALL if you lift, let alone on a regular basis.

http://www.sportsdoctor.com/articles/alcohol.html
http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/information/lifestyle/alcohol.htm
http://www.gurney.co.uk/drinksense/factsheets/effects.htm

TheGimp
07-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Drinking will halt protein synthesis until the alcohol is metabolised. It will also destroy testosterone production. Growth hormone production is virtually nil until 24 hours afterwards. There is absolutely no way alcohol can be considered beneficial.

I also have no idea what you mean by this statement:

cause once weight is gained it is easy to turn it into muscle

snow
07-01-2004, 01:47 PM
i'm sure excessive alcohol will help your liver bulk too

snow
07-01-2004, 01:49 PM
by the way, during this past school year, i drank at points both days on the weekends, and it was taking me about 12-16 beers to get hammered.. and i didn't gain a pound from it.

Mic Soloist
07-02-2004, 12:24 AM
I've been lifting since Jan 03 and I have drank 1-2 times per week and then 1-2 times per 2 weeks the entire time I've lifted, and I've seen amazing gains.

Thing is.... I'm totally strict and dedicated to diet and lifting all the time. So when I have my cheat days it doesn't hurt me much.

If you enjoy drinking, do not give it up. Forget these people who say you should totally stop. You only live once and life should be fun. Just drink carefully and drink in moderation. Also stay focused on what you do with your diet and routines.

Y2A
07-02-2004, 08:17 AM
If you want liquid calories that will benefit you, drink a weight gainer, not a beer ;)

IRN-BRU
07-02-2004, 08:41 AM
I started seriously hitting the weights, with decent diet and whey + creatine supps around 9 weeks ago. Not a bulk sized diet though, probably just over maintenance.

Progressively improving my routine, I now train each muscle group twice a week, 2 exercises per group, with 2 x 8 per exercise usually to failure.

I've been averaging 2-3 nights out a week, which weekly is at least - 10 pints beer + 4 tequilas + 4 vodkas, sometimes a lot more though if we buy in a bottle. :dj:

And I've gained just great. I'm 5"11' and gone from 170lb to 175.5lb and I reckon that's 90% muscle coz I'm not any flabbier and I'm much more solid. TBH the change is dramatic - but that's me.

You have to listen to your own body, not some people who do a test on mice and think they have it all figured out. True, for some people, at their own level of bodybuilding, drinking (or starting drinking) weekly might be a terrible choice.

Basically - It's not impossible to gain while drinking beer. If you're not gaining for some other reason, and you give up beer and still dont gain much - how sad will you be then?? :read:

Holto
07-02-2004, 12:47 PM
beer = empty calories

all calories = free radicals

free radicals = tissue desctruction including muscle

clean food = calories + anti-oxidants

anti-oxidants neutralize free radicals

choose your weapon

snow
07-03-2004, 09:58 AM
beer = empty calories

all calories = free radicals

free radicals = tissue desctruction including muscle

clean food = calories + anti-oxidants

anti-oxidants neutralize free radicals

choose your weapon

don't forget to add to your case by adding free radicals are thought to cause cancer. :)

Holto
07-03-2004, 11:35 AM
...cancer, high cholesterol, ateriosclerosis, brain damage, aging

and people wonder why I'm a health freak

*sips pond scum with ORAC of 300+*

snow
07-03-2004, 01:38 PM
...cancer, high cholesterol, ateriosclerosis, brain damage, aging

and people wonder why I'm a health freak

*sips pond scum with ORAC of 300+*

Of course, this is all in excess. Supposedly, beer fights Alzheimer's in moderation. I wasn't aware it caused high cholesterol though, why would that be? Calories?