PDA

View Full Version : Why take Flax?

Sheik
02-16-2001, 11:32 AM
I have read and read about flax seed and what it contains.
But how do you come to the conclusion that "I need to supplement my fat intake".
It is kind of confusing to me, since I have drastically reduced the "bad fats" in my
diet, should I possibly add some flax or other type of the so called "good oils" to my diet???

Budiak
02-16-2001, 09:03 PM
It depends on your fat intake now. If currently only 15 percent of your cals come from fat and they're all from saturated sources, you should add some flax to your diet. However if 25% of your diet is fat and say, 10-15 of that fat is from a good source, you probably shouldnt supplement.
Ok.Shoot me now.

gary
02-16-2001, 09:43 PM
Only purpose of supplementing with flax is to get the omega3 EFAs. If you eat fatty fish or other sources of omega3, flax is not required.

Flax oil has also been linked with reducing cancer risks, reducing joint pains/muscular inflammation, fat loss and LDL cholestrol reduction

Joe Black
02-17-2001, 03:33 AM
Budiak, all your fat intake is saturated ?

Budiak
02-17-2001, 10:53 PM
No, I wrote that in a confusing manner. 10-15% of calories from good fat and 10 % from other fats. Meaning half or so of the total fat is "good". I didnt mean to write it that way, sorry.