PDA

View Full Version : Ergonomic Benches

Alaric
07-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Do these affect your bench?

I am currently cutting, so I do expect strength loss, but not as much as this!

I've been cutting for about 2 months now, and I've lost maybe 15-17 lbs. However, 3 weeks ago I was on a regular olympic bench, pressing 235lbs pretty easily.

Today, I'm on an ergonomic bench, and I was struggling just to get 185lbs up once. I expect my bench to go down, but this is crazy, I used to do 185 as a warmup, and now its my max? Could this be because of me going from an olympic to an ergonomic bench?

Alaric
07-01-2004, 03:49 PM
http://www.technogymusa.com/_vti_g7_prodSel.aspx?id=2&idg=3&rpstry=11016_

The bench is broken up into something like that, except without all the pulleys and machines surrounding it.

Paul Stagg
07-01-2004, 03:53 PM
I think you probably just had a bad day

Alaric
07-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Not at all actually. All my other lifts seem up to par with the exception of those that make use of this bench. 185 was honestly my max for today, and it took me a good 5 seconds of pure struggling just to push that weight up.

XHitman396
07-01-2004, 07:30 PM
whats an ergonomic bench??

Alaric
07-01-2004, 10:16 PM
check that link i posted, that's an ergonomic bench. Its set up like an olympic bench, but the cushioning is broken up like that, so that the pads fit the curves of yoru back.

edge-man
07-02-2004, 05:19 AM
Does the ergonomic bench have lots of padding? If it does, a lot of your energy is being wasted by pushing your body back into the padding before the bar even moves. Another thing with cable machines is friction. Moving to different equipment is always awkward, I can bench an extra 20Kg down at the nearest gym on a supported machine than I can at home on a humble bench with iron discs. Just stick to one machine and note down how much you're doing and start over.

Alaric
07-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Well, I'm not using a machine, I'm still using free weights. But I guess that makes sense saying I'm wasting a lot of energy by pushing my body back into the pads. The bench is split up into 4 pads (one for your head, upper back, lower back, and butt).

chris6969
07-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Your body is probably just in a slightly different position and it will take a little getting used to, if you plan on continuing to use the machine. Though I see no reason why to bother with that crap.

Plain old free weights & benches are the way to go. You never hear any body builders saying how great x, y, or z machine is.... they use good old freeweights, dumbells, basic benches, etc... for almost everything.... except maybe a legpress or cable cross overs....

Bruise Brubaker
07-04-2004, 07:02 PM
From what I understood, he didn't use a machine, he was just comparing the "ergonomic bench" with the machine bench of the link.

Alaric
07-05-2004, 01:49 AM
yeah, I wasn't using a machine, its just the bench was set up that way.

Personally, I prefer the old fashion benches...but I gotta tough it out with this one for the next couple months.