PDA

View Full Version : Food suggestions to help put on the pounds

Mr. ?
07-01-2004, 04:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone could list some high calorie yet decently healthy foods to help in my journey of weight gain.

Also, how effective is weight gainer and are some brands better than others?

WillKuenzel
07-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Pop tarts are loaded in calories. ;) Probably not the most healthy food though. The low fat pop tarts aren't that bad as long as you are watching the rest of your diet. For bulking, I like high carb, high protein, low fat. Dextrose and maltodextrin are great. Sweet tarts are basically just those two. I've got 2 big bags of sweet tarts left over from my bulk sitting in the pantry. Hope I don't get into those while cutting.

reloaded
07-01-2004, 06:50 PM
If you're gonna bulk, just eat, eat, eat! Seriously. First off, it all comes down to calories. If you consume more than you burn each day, you will gain weight most of the time. Second, people around here will prolly to tell you to eat clean. Usually a good guideline, but not particularly mandatory. The thing with eating clean is...you'll gain weight without gaining fat in your arteries and die or something. Eating clean enables you to have better overall health and may help you keep fitter than you normally would if you were just packing on the calories with crap foods. As far as weight gainer and things go, some are better than others in terms of the type of protein and nutrition content. Alot of people will tell you atlargenutrition.com is a good place to get your stuff. You can also find more information on protein and weight gainer sups in the "supplements" forum. Good luck and happy bulking. :D

Aspect
07-02-2004, 05:05 AM
One way to eat extra calories easily is to aim to eat "dense" foods. So for example, eat some dried fruit rather than fresh, oily fish rather than non-oily, nuts or seeds rather than popcorn, bread rather than pasta, dense cereals rather than puffed ones etc. This way you get some extra calories without eating a larger volume of food (which many people find difficult).

Another option is to increase your fat intake a bit - add olive oil to salads, cook in it etc. Of course you need to be careful here, and you need to eat quality fats - don't drown everything in butter or margerine, but be a bit more liberal with the quality oils etc. And while talking about butter, although I wouldn't recommend eating it in large quantities, a little won't harm you - so feel free to add it to mashed potatoes or put a little on some veg. Moderation is key here though.

You could also drink more milk - a couple of pints of semi-skimmed will give you ~500 cals and ~35g protein.

Finally, one food I've found useful is a home-made "museli" (though it tastes far nicer than normal museli). I mix up the following ingredients up: 500g oat flakes, 100g bran flakes, 250g chopped dried apricots, 150g raisins, 350g mixed nuts smashed up a bit. That makes enough for about 10 bowls, and keeps for months in an airtight box. You eat it with milk (and a spoonful of honey if you like). A medium-sized bowlful of this is around 550 cals, it's giving you a load of fibre, healthy fats, some protein and loads of carbs (both fast and slow releasing).

I find it great for breakfast, and as a post-workout meal, though I usually eat some additional protein with it (a bowl of this gives you about 15g-20g protein).

As for weight gainer, they're effective in that they contain lots of calories. If you struggle to eat enough, they can be good. However, I personally feel that you should try to get your nutrition from whole foods wherever possible (that is purely a personal decision though). Don't forget that plain old milk can give you a lot of extra calories and plenty of protein, as long as you can comfortably digest it, and is a lot cheaper than buying powders. As I say though, it's personal choice.

Good luck!

vkefi
07-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Peanut butter sandwhichs :D

milk is always good. 2% fat tastes better personally.

Anthony
07-02-2004, 07:13 AM
Steak, chicken, milk, cheese, ice cream, Wendy's, peanut butter, pasta, potatoes, etc. Nlarge2 is a decent "weight gainer", but regardless of your supplements, you will only gain weight if you eat more than you burn. Funny how that works, eh?

Mr. ?
07-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone.

Holto
07-02-2004, 12:49 PM
1 cup of nuts = 900 cals

1 cup of raisins = 540 cals

eat regular big meals and snack on the above

NFGMagic
07-02-2004, 01:36 PM
What you wanna do is eat A LOT of meat and poultry. have like a salad or sumthin with low carb dressing. OR...you could easily jus go out and buy a tub of protien shake mix.......that works too! Oh, and if you go w/ the first one, eat at least 4 or 5 meals a day. Hope that helps!