PDA

View Full Version : how much protein do you digest/serving?

jazer80
07-02-2004, 08:05 PM
i'm about to eat a can of tuna, and went to make a protein shake when i remembered a customer asking me the other day about how much protein you can digest in a sitting. he was looking for powders, so i assume you'd digest less whey since it's absorbed so much quicker than meat or milk. so how much can you digest from shakes v. real food?

jazer80
07-02-2004, 08:06 PM
if i'm having a can of tuna that's gotta be 30grams, plus i make shakes w/ milk/liquid egg/powder so they're like 45 grams at least, am i eating too much protein for a single serving?

Paul Stagg
07-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Nope - you're fine.

There is a pretty common myth that there is a limit on how much protein you can assimilate in one sitting, but it isn't based on anything credible.

jazer80
07-02-2004, 09:10 PM
cul thanks

Holto
07-03-2004, 11:42 AM
the caveat is that your body cannot store protein and the amino acid pool is a closely gaurded resource

when it sees a sharp rise in amino levels the excess is converted to energy

so you can digest any amount of protien but the amount utilized as protein will have an upper limit

remember too that a LB of muscle has only around 100g's of protein

jazer80
07-03-2004, 02:37 PM
what's a LB? so do you have any idea how much protein i could eat before it's not being utilized in teh way i want it to be? i mean i'll have gatorade w/ my tuna and save my shakes if they're just being used for energy

Scott S
07-04-2004, 07:01 PM
I digest all of it.

And a "LB" is a pound, dumbass. ;)

Holto
07-04-2004, 10:02 PM
just try to divide your daily intake of protein among your meals

and don't have gatorade as a staple have some real food

jazer80
07-05-2004, 07:28 AM
who said it was a staple? that's just usually around workouts, maybe some other times here and there. i've never ever seen pound written capitalized like that, ever. my bad.

Holto
07-05-2004, 08:42 PM
who said it was a staple? that's just usually around workouts, maybe some other times here and there. i've never ever seen pound written capitalized like that, ever. my bad.

I assumed by the tuna that is was a normal meal

the capitilization come from the old school C programming where we capatilze constants

jazer80
07-06-2004, 10:28 AM
ah cool. nah i like gatorade, but the only drink i'd call a staple of mine (besides water which is more of a given for everyone here i'd assume) is milk. already had like 5-7 servings so far today and i'm only on lunch break. damn i love milk, does a body good

Shark
07-06-2004, 11:32 PM
5-7 servings of milk per day would just bloat me to **** and give me gas or the runs something fierce! Milk is poison.

hemants
07-07-2004, 09:06 AM
This is the most reposted question. It goes like this :

1. how many g of protein can i digest at one meal
2. clever responses : you can digest all of it
3. the real answer : yes you can digest all of it but the real question is how much can be utilized to build muscle (as opposed to being converted to glucose). the answer to that is probably (but not definately) 40-60g per meal depending on the person.